The Nomad From Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Stock stem size is 14mm Glass tube with 1.5mm thick walls.

This gives you an internal diameter of 11mm for the chamber. Depth of chamber is adjustable to whatever you like.

If this doesn't work for you, an alternative is a custom stem with 2.2mm thick walls. Giving you an internal diameter of 9.6mm. A 27% difference in surface area.

If this is still too large. I would recommend a custom chamber tip made from SS or hardwood. Cut to your exact dimensions. These stem tips will be inserted into the end of the stock glass mouthpiece, using an O-Ring connection, and will allow for both custom bowl sizes and different materials.

An SS chamber will take longer to heat up, but so long as the walls are ~1mm or thicker, will retain enough heat to give you a small amount of conduction heating.

A wood chamber will augment taste, but give you better insulating properties compared to glass, which may slightly increase heat up times.

Chamber tips can be pre-loaded and switched out on the go.

I have no problem working with you to create THE perfect bowl size/shape/material for you.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
ha! Well Thanks!

I just want this vaporizer to be all about versatility. And something to build onto. And I want future creations to seamlessly mesh with this vape...

So buying into the stock unit is like getting the core component, the foundation. Want a conduction vaporizer? Add a new module, Want a new look, you've got lots of different components to customize and replace...

Since the dimensions are square and flat on all sides and the connectors are not threaded, the possibilities are endless. It's like vape Lego.

The connectors allow for all sorts of future unknown parts to be interchanged. Not only will there be heater modules... but the bottom access battery compartment can be used to insert 'dummy' corded batteries that run on AC or 12v, with inline variable voltage control.. Or larger wooden modules that double the width of the vape, but house a second battery, with a variable voltage chip.

And the stem connection, needing only a 14mm OD tube to make a secure and airtight connection, could be adapted to all sorts of glass joints.

Oh man!

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
And mignt we choose our own coverings/sheath patterns?

479C_1600R_large.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsmash

An SS chamber will take longer to heat up, but so long as the walls are ~1mm or thicker, will retain enough heat to give you a small amount of conduction heating.

A wood chamber will augment taste, but give you better insulating properties compared to glass, which may slightly increase heat up times.

Have you thought about using teflon at all as a core material? The only vape I know of that uses it is the minivap but the taste and flavor retention from that thing with a teflon core is just fantastic!

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
Stock stem size is 14mm Glass tube with 1.5mm thick walls.

This gives you an internal diameter of 11mm for the chamber. Depth of chamber is adjustable to whatever you like.

If this doesn't work for you, an alternative is a custom stem with 2.2mm thick walls. Giving you an internal diameter of 9.6mm. A 27% difference in surface area.

If this is still too large. I would recommend a custom chamber tip made from SS or hardwood. Cut to your exact dimensions. These stem tips will be inserted into the end of the stock glass mouthpiece, using an O-Ring connection, and will allow for both custom bowl sizes and different materials.

Chamber tips can be pre-loaded and switched out on the go.

I have no problem working with you to create THE perfect bowl size/shape/material for you.
Awesome! I should have known you would have all the bases covered. I'm really enjoying following the process on this one as I did the Okin, and am excited for the product to be available.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@sixstringsmash, I didn't think of using teflon, but I will definitely try it out! Seems to have low thermal conductivity, makes sense. It would make a great chamber lining material because it'll allow for a nice snug sliding fit with the ID of the glass. Great thinking!

@XiolaOne , Close.. maybe a month... maybe less... I have custom parts coming from all over U.S./Canada. Lots of outside-my-control time-frames.

I will most likely do an initial run of about 5 units.

If all goes well, hopefully those first 5 units will act as a sort of way for users to share their initial thoughts, and whether or not this vape is worth the buy.

I will most likely have to do a pre-order of about 20 units to cover the cost of running more parts in higher numbers. Cost of materials, CNC, gold plating, custom fabricating, etc.. will be substantial.. and I won't be able to front the cost.

These first 25 units will be sold at discounted cost as a reward for paying upfront. I hope to get those first 25 units out in about 2 months after order is taken.

I am getting a sense of the final price for this thing.. it will at least end up in the $300 range..

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
@sixstringsmash, I didn't think of using teflon, but I will definitely try it out! Seems to have low thermal conductivity, makes sense. It would make a great chamber lining material because it'll allow for a nice snug sliding fit with the ID of the glass. Great thinking!

@XiolaOne , Close.. maybe a month... maybe less... I have custom parts coming from all over U.S./Canada. Lots of outside-my-control time-frames.

I will most likely do an initial run of about 5 units.

If all goes well, hopefully those first 5 units will act as a sort of way for users to share their initial thoughts, and whether or not this vape is worth the buy.

I will most likely have to do a pre-order of about 20 units to cover the cost of running more parts in higher numbers. Cost of materials, CNC, gold plating, custom fabricating, etc.. will be substantial.. and I won't be able to front the cost.

These first 25 units will be sold at discounted cost as a reward for paying upfront. I hope to get those first 25 units out in about 2 months after order is taken.

I am getting a sense of the final price for this thing.. it will at least end up in the $300 range..

Well you can count me in, I'm a believer in the... what are you calling this beautiful thing?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
More solid planning Dan :tup:

Name-wise with all the modularity this main device will offer, I was thinking something that means vessel since that's all it is right? A vessel for whatever module you are using, truly just a vessel for whatever material you are using too ;)

tepictoton

Could call it vãs, as with a flat line above, making it a reference to the root of the word, and hinting for our own little problem child called VAS...

Then the doctor needs to go and figure out if you have vãs or VAS... Guess soon we will see the birth of stoner symptoms popping up in all layers of society, and it will only get more and more hazed...

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
It's time.

I am starting to get people asking me to be added to a wait list. So I guess I have to open one.

Anyone who has asked, I will try to find your PM and contact you. If I don't, please PM me.

The wait list will not be in any order, but it'll help me gauge how many people might be interested in a pre-order or early production unit. Your support will literally make this thing happen.

So please PM me your emails, and I will add you!

:cheers:

RelaxedNow

I'm in. PM sent!

This will be the third wood vaporizer I've ordered in 2 months. There's just something special about a device that has been made in small batches by a craftsman. I've only received one of the three, and I enjoy holding and looking at it almost as much as using it. But, as nice as it is, I think @Dan Morrison's will blow it away in the design department.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I'm in. PM sent!

This will be the third wood vaporizer I've ordered in 2 months. There's just something special about a device that has been made in small batches by a craftsman. I've only received one of the three, and I enjoy holding and looking at it almost as much as using it. But, as nice as it is, I think @Dan Morrison's will blow it away in the design department.

Could not have put it any better.

I think this vape will be something special.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Okay!

After a whole bunch of rough prototype work.. I am starting the first production quality unit. So, naturally, I wanted to document the process for everyone here to see.

I am doing these parts on a manual machine for now, but I have made arrangements to have them precision CNC'd for the production batches. Quality will be the same, but production time will be much faster.

These are the brass "mounting" plates. One of them is part of the electrical track to the heater module. And the other will hold the battery door mechanism. These brass plates will get a dark patina (brown/black/orange/mustard are all possible) and will be mounted to the wooden body with polished and blue'd stainless steel machine screws. The wood body will receive stainless steel helicoil inserts that are designed to embed steel threads into soft materials, so if the user ever needs to remove the mounting plates for cleaning, the fine threads will never strip out.

rPGfkO7.jpg

Golden curls!

5wHqiSk.jpg

Some stock cut to thickness.

tK1eNBS.jpg

Milling on the lathe.

H3gScMX.jpg

These paper guides are surprisingly accurate.

r4LqrQL.jpg

But of course it helps to have a dial indicator as well...

7EiOgTk.jpg

From round to square, it's taking shape!

KPN4qk6.jpg

Center punching the mounting holes.

snVyShq.jpg

One mounting plate gets 0-80 machine screws, the other gets 1-64.

Y3Tyurh.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

almost there

Okay!

After a whole bunch of rough prototype work.. I am starting the first production quality unit. So, naturally, I wanted to document the process for everyone here to see.

I am doing these parts on a manual machine for now, but I have made arrangements to have them precision CNC'd for the production batches. Quality will be the same, but production time will be much faster.

These are the brass "mounting" plates. One of them is part of the electrical track to the heater module. And the other will hold the battery door mechanism. These brass plates will get a dark patina (brown/black/orange/mustard are all possible) and will be mounted to the wooden body with polished and blue'd stainless steel machine screws. The wood body will receive stainless steel helicoil inserts that are designed to embed steel threads into soft materials, so if the user ever needs to remove the mounting plates for cleaning, the fine threads will never strip out.

rPGfkO7.jpg

Golden curls!

5wHqiSk.jpg

tK1eNBS.jpg

Milling on the lathe.

H3gScMX.jpg

r4LqrQL.jpg

7EiOgTk.jpg

KPN4qk6.jpg

snVyShq.jpg

Y3Tyurh.jpg

More to come tomorrow!
Yes, please!!!! I have no idea what any of these esoteric words mean but it all looks so incredible like watching the forging of a Ulfberht. Thanks for sharing all these beautiful shots of the process

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Okay!

rPGfkO7.jpg

Golden curls!

5wHqiSk.jpg

tK1eNBS.jpg

Milling on the lathe.

H3gScMX.jpg

r4LqrQL.jpg

7EiOgTk.jpg

KPN4qk6.jpg

snVyShq.jpg

Y3Tyurh.jpg

More to come tomorrow!
:popcorn:

Oh man, I'm drooling already.. These artful pics... I know why I love the waiting game in here. Thanks Dan for sharing your stages with us... Fully immersed already! :)

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Another day in the shop...

Dimensioning and hand planing the surfaces of the wood body. To fit into the various jigs I'll need to put this into, all dimensions must be within' .002", around the thickness of a human hair!

2pMVi6s.jpg

These corners have to be perfectly square. This is where the cube-shaped module will be inserted. I don't want any gaps.

eE73kxy.jpg

Countersink drilling the heater module base plate.

lNpxTlM.jpg

Tapping the 1-64 screw threads into the walnut body.

NPhuBLd.jpg

After polishing the screw heads, they lay perfectly flush with the surface of the brass plate.

PzEEgv3.jpg

Time for heat colouring the screws.

T1tBKUI.jpg

Seems like this grade of stainless doesn't take as well to heat colouring compared to the steel fasteners I did my previous tests with... hmmm. I believe I'll have to bake them at temp. for a longer period of time to get the deep blue/black colour I'm after.

AzmcQCO.jpg

After screwing the plate down onto the wood body.

vg4MBcL.jpg

This is still in its rough finish stage. The brass plate will later get some machining, and then polished on all sides, to get ready for a dark brown patina. With use, the golden edges will wear through the patina... should look sweet!

For those wondering, I am using RoHS compliant lead free brass.

Seeing these photos really messes with your sense of scale.. but this thing is tiny!

nSWWaGn.jpg

Top Bottom