The Nomad From Morwood

Blackfriars

Connoisseur of cannabis
Dan, I don't own a single one of your pipes, but after looking at your website, I can tell you have great vision and a real knack for design. Your marketing efforts, as well, are superb. Very polished and professional. You're marketing an experience, not a pipe.

Also... must chuckle. Your logo reminds me of Einstürzende Neubauten. ;-)

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Wow @Dan Morrison great work on the non functioning prototype! Really is a great unique look, totally fits the blade runner vibe, and very unique versatile functionality too with the swappable module and stem ideas... Keep on keepin on brother, excited to see/hear more! Slow and steady for what is shaping up to be a gorgeously innovative product :tup:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Thanks @duff !

Been back on the drawing board like mad recently, tweaking the design of the internals, finding room for everything, trying to make it all accessible for cleaning the electrical contacts.

The top button is gone, you can see the real fire button in my last prototype, the green circle. I was thinking this could be an LED light for the cool looks, but I've done away with the LED (just no damn room!) and now this circle will have a real function. This feels much more natural to press vs. a top button, so comfortable, and works nicely when the vape is in different orientations.

There will be no wires. Only solid brass or copper 'tracks", inlayed into the wood. There is no room inside of the wood for much of anything, instead of treating the wooden body like a shell, I am treating it like a sort of circuit board, with all the electrical running on the outside. The major tracks are covered by the kraft sleeve in use, so the clean minimalist aesthetic of my last prototype is preserved.

The fire button is completely custom so that I can make it handle the high amps and also be easily maintainable as the connection points oxidize. It's basically two beefy copper alloy contacts coming together with a single contact point (possibly solid silver contacts).

Every connection point in the circuit adds to the overall resistance, which results in voltage drop under load in use. With a single battery, low voltage/high amp, design... its even more important to consider the resistance of the circuit.

My design goals have been to go with conductor materials that have a good balance of electrical conductivety, oxidation resistance, strength, and aesthetics (in some parts).

I will most likely go with brass. It's not as conductive as copper, but the difference should be negligible. The main advantage of brass would be it's strength and better machineability. This equates to better, finer threaded connections. A close fitting fine thread is much more important to lowering circuit resistance. Also, less prone to oxidation at contact points, less need for cleaning.

Plus, the gold colour looks good with wood. I will be applying a patina to the brass to get a dark brownish colour, but where the edges wear with use, the gold colour showing through won't be an eye-sore like copper would, IMO.

And yes, I did consider using a mosfet to act as a low resistance 'switch'.. but I don't see there being enough room to fit one in, and, well, It will eventually fail. I like the idea of fully mechanical everything, no wires, fully user-serviceable.

That's all for now! back to the shop.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Thanks @duff !

Been back on the drawing board like mad recently, tweaking the design of the internals, finding room for everything, trying to make it all accessible for cleaning the electrical contacts.

The top button is gone, you can see the real fire button in my last prototype, the green circle. I was thinking this could be an LED light for the cool looks, but I've done away with the LED (just no damn room!) and now this circle will have a real function. This feels much more natural to press vs. a top button, so comfortable, and works nicely when the vape is in different orientations.

There will be no wires. Only solid brass or copper 'tracks", inlayed into the wood. There is no room inside of the wood for much of anything, instead of treating the wooden body like a shell, I am treating it like a sort of circuit board, with all the electrical running on the outside. The major tracks are covered by the kraft sleeve in use, so the clean minimalist aesthetic of my last prototype is preserved.

The fire button is completely custom so that I can make it handle the high amps and also be easily maintainable as the connection points oxidize. It's basically two beefy copper alloy contacts coming together with a single contact point (possibly solid silver contacts).

Every connection point in the circuit adds to the overall resistance, which results in voltage drop under load in use. With a single battery, low voltage/high amp, design... its even more important to consider the resistance of the circuit.

My design goals have been to go with conductor materials that have a good balance of electrical conductivety, oxidation resistance, strength, and aesthetics (in some parts).

I will most likely go with brass. It's not as conductive as copper, but the difference should be negligible. The main advantage of brass would be it's strength and better machineability. This equates to better, finer threaded connections. A close fitting fine thread is much more important to lowering circuit resistance. Also, less prone to oxidation at contact points, less need for cleaning.

Plus, the gold colour looks good with wood. I will be applying a patina to the brass to get a dark brownish colour, but where the edges wear with use, the gold colour showing through won't be an eye-sore like copper would, IMO.

And yes, I did consider using a mosfet to act as a low resistance 'switch'.. but I don't see there being enough room to fit one in, and, well, It will eventually fail. I like the idea of fully mechanical everything, no wires, fully user-serviceable.

That's all for now! back to the shop.

I quite like the idea of no led, in fact, I love the idea of it not looking like anything electronic at all tbh.

Anyway, this all sounds great to me :)

Hope it all goes well!

almost there

Too many awesome vapes coming out!
and they look sleek and
Here's one of my real life prototypes. Just a mock-up... but this is what the final version will look like, pretty much. I used an old Japanese tobacco box for the sleeve material, but I'll have to use something different in the future.. perhaps a few different models; plain raw Kraft paper, painted, maybe Japanese washi paper coverings, custom weathering on request. Either way, this is the vibe!

Size, as you can see, is very small. Even though I've kept the rather sharp edges, it still feels comfortable in the hand.

Body on this one is walnut, with padauk heater module and stem. The mouthpiece on this is a dark blue'd steel, but I'll most likely stick to glass for the final version.

EqzpzOc.jpg

YnLNWtO.jpg

LMOkEbD.jpg

fumbyT8.jpg
This is absolutely gorgeous, if the final product looks like this I'd be convince to grab one just because it's so damn beautiful. I love the contrasting colors of the wood and the vintage cover, u have talent @Dan Morrison!!! I'm not a fan of most of the wood portables that's around with the exception of the FW4 bc there's I don't personally find grace in a wood block with a glass straw. This to me is a piece of art, I'd be proud to hold this in my hand!:love:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Thanks @almost there !

I too like the look of the FW4, he seems to do a great job!

And yes, the final product will definitely look like that, except even cooler!

I guess I will update a bit on my current progress. This month has been nothin' but this vape project.

Just finalizing the design, refining, refining, simplifying.. tooling up..

Really pumped to show the heater module soonish.. it's been a bear tracking down the needed raw materials and tooling to create the exact heater geometry I wanted, but it's all coming together now. No other vaporizer on the market will have the same heater design, which is all I'll say for now.

Mostly every part of the design is custom made, and I will be trying to do as much as possible in my shop. Instead of going for large batch production, which I was toying with at the beginning, I am going to stick to small batch, more hand work, more custom requests, making each piece unique and keeping the craftsmanship is high as possible.

I would love this thing to be more of an heirloom product, something that you can rely upon for years and years, even pass down between generations, like tobacco pipes were. The design will remain completely repairable and maintainable.

The custom accents are where I think this thing could really shine as well.. Imagine all African Blackwood body, with pink ivory wood stem collar and heater module, sand blasted sea green glass stem..oh baby. The list goes on and on.

For the button, since I will be making all of the components, I could make the button out of different materials, such as opal, gemstone, coral, resin encapsulated lichens...etc.. So that'll be another cool place for the customization.

And, not pictured in the prototype, there will be a plate of steel on the bottom, for part of the battery door component (which will be a sliding door, not a screw off cap, no tools or coins required for removal), and an inlayed plate of brass on the backside of the body, as part of the electrical tracks.

These will be getting dark patinas, but another idea would be to go with different textured surfaces, hand hammered, sand blasted, damascus, hand engraved, etc..

All those cool little accents you see on custom knives and guns.. I want to bring to this vape.

duff

Well worn
Last edited:

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
@nondarb , Ah man.. yeah.. that sounds awful.

Weathering is really an art in itself. I've seen it done really well in prop-making, or Japanese tsuba craft.. but like you mentioned, it's often done very poorly.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think it's a good idea to send out pre-weathered sleeves. Give it some hard use, perhaps treating the sleeve a bit harshly, and you'll get there naturally!

I really like the look of the sleeve but how will it maintain its form and fit over time so that it doesn't constantly slip off?

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I really like the look of the sleeve but how will it maintain its form and fit over time so that it doesn't constantly slip off?

The wood body has an imperceptable taper, the sleeve slides down from the top and tightens down as it approaches the final position. In my experience, these kraft paper sleeves tend to keep their shape really well with constant use. They are quite ridgid and will stand up to abuse.

If they ever need adjustment, a tiny strip of masking tape can be applied to the inside to tighten the fit.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I think it's about time for an update. Still grinding away at this non-stop. Deep in it now.

Still looks the same.

I found a pretty cool Japanese Paper source right here in Ontario.

https://shop.thepaperplace.ca/collections/chiyogami

These hand made chiyogami, and their katazome-shi would make for perfect patterns to be pasted onto the kraft paper sleeves. Huge selection.

The module connector is pretty awesome. Fast, no need for tools or unscrewing anything, just pop it out and in, easy. I didn't go with the 'banana' plugs I mentioned earlier, the gold plating would wear too fast, and the force required to attach/detach was too strong. Instead I went with a completely custom connector, It's pretty cool! I won't reveal it just yet.

If anyone has ideas of what they want to see in future modules, I'm all ears!

I'd like to share more, but honestly most of what I've been doing the last month is tracking down parts, suppliers, and doing CAD work. This week I will be starting what I think will be the final prototype.

sixstringsmash

Dan,

I have absolutely nothing of import or value to say other than to tell you to keep on doing what you're doing man! Each post you have updating us gets me more and more excited for this next vape and I, and I'm sure that I can also speak for everyone here when I say we absolutely cannot wait to see this final prototype of yours.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thanks @almost there !

I too like the look of the FW4, he seems to do a great job!

And yes, the final product will definitely look like that, except even cooler!

I guess I will update a bit on my current progress. This month has been nothin' but this vape project.

Just finalizing the design, refining, refining, simplifying.. tooling up..

Really pumped to show the heater module soonish.. it's been a bear tracking down the needed raw materials and tooling to create the exact heater geometry I wanted, but it's all coming together now. No other vaporizer on the market will have the same heater design, which is all I'll say for now.

Mostly every part of the design is custom made, and I will be trying to do as much as possible in my shop. Instead of going for large batch production, which I was toying with at the beginning, I am going to stick to small batch, more hand work, more custom requests, making each piece unique and keeping the craftsmanship is high as possible.

I would love this thing to be more of an heirloom product, something that you can rely upon for years and years, even pass down between generations, like tobacco pipes were. The design will remain completely repairable and maintainable.

The custom accents are where I think this thing could really shine as well.. Imagine all African Blackwood body, with pink ivory wood stem collar and heater module, sand blasted sea green glass stem..oh baby. The list goes on and on.

For the button, since I will be making all of the components, I could make the button out of different materials, such as opal, gemstone, coral, resin encapsulated lichens...etc.. So that'll be another cool place for the customization.

And, not pictured in the prototype, there will be a plate of steel on the bottom, for part of the battery door component (which will be a sliding door, not a screw off cap, no tools or coins required for removal), and an inlayed plate of brass on the backside of the body, as part of the electrical tracks.

These will be getting dark patinas, but another idea would be to go with different textured surfaces, hand hammered, sand blasted, damascus, hand engraved, etc..

All those cool little accents you see on custom knives and guns.. I want to bring to this vape.

Been a while since I checked in here so missed this til now, but you also have me :drool: in a big way Dan my man.

Love the direction this has ultimately taken (even if I am still curious about that torch-powered sliding metal plate with maze airpath rectangular wooden pipe idea too...) and cannot wait to see these crazy designs. All that custom work, no two will be the same, and the versatile possibilities are endless.

All I can say is please don't let me miss the waitlist, I'd like to be near the top when this beauty is finally a reality. And we haven't even gotten to the fun naming part yet! Okin was so spot on, still hope to try one of those some day

Top Bottom