1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Next Vape From D.M. Pipes

Discussion in 'Upcoming and Unreleased Portable Vaporizers' started by Dan Morrison, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Dan Morrison

Dan Morrison Well-Known Member Manufacturer

Not sure yet, too early to say. I believe I can make the $200-$300 range though.

2. sixstringsmash

sixstringsmash Well-Known Member

The only worry I am having with this vaporizer right now is that I'm worried when I do finally get my hands on this thing it will be too beautiful for me to vape out of and put my filthy lips on that I'll just have to end up getting it framed or something.

3. Dan Morrison

Hahah, well.. thank you I think!

But.. the beauty of using natural materials is that they really do get better with use/age. Just imagine that when you get your vape, it's only half way done the crafting process. You have to do the patina part, heh.

4. KeroZen

KeroZen Chronic vapaholic

:clap:

I wish you to succeed in this ambitious project Dan! This is going to be superb. Happy new year!

5. ZC

ZC Well-Known Member

So I know it's still super early but I thought I'd throw the question out there.

IIRC you said this vape would be distributed the same way as the Okin, in the kind of email lottery fashion you do every month. (I can't believe I got one of two when I tried, what luck)

But as of this year that system has changed for the Okin and we can just order them as we please.

What does that mean for this vape? Will you go back to the lottery system for its initial release? Will there be a waitlist?

Vapor_Eyes and Dan Morrison like this.
  6. StormyPinkness

StormyPinkness Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Wow, I'm not sure there's been a design yet I wouldn't of bought. Amazing.

Are.... are you fucking with us? This thing is going to be like a little sticky brick jr or lily? How fucking amazing it would be to have the option of battery or butane. I have a love/hate relationship with both. I'd love to try charcoal too. Wow.

Vapor_Eyes, grokit, vapen00b and 5 others like this.
  7. Dan Morrison

@ZC Not sure yet.. still too early to say. One thing is for sure, I'm designing this from the ground up for faster production on my end, I hope, heh. I definitely won't sacrifice quality... but just a smarter design. The goal being to decrease wait times. I think that the Okin order system needs some adjustments, so I probably won't go back to that with this new vape.

@StormyPinkness Hahah, thats the idea! I was thinkin' that if you were to take out the battery for non-electronic use.. you would have the battery compartment to fill with additional add-ons.. herb chamber..charcoal holder..extra stem..etc.. Just a thought.

I've got a new prototype modeled after the newest concept work, it's feelin' like the one..will post pics soon!

8. StormyPinkness

StormyPinkness Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

The flower goes in the stem normally right? For the butane module would it go in the actual module like a brick vape? Closer to the heat and farther from the mp so there's a longer cool down path? I'm just thinking about my other brick vapes though, I may be off on that. I remember reading in the Sticky Brick and Triihouse threads some people thought right angles in the vapor path helped cooling. No idea about that though.

This thing is definitely exciting and keeps getting better.

Vapor_Eyes, vapen00b and Dan Morrison like this.
  9. Dan Morrison

@StormyPinkness , That's exactly what I'm thinkin' herb chamber in the actual module itself. But even if it needed to be in the stem, it would only be a small difference I think, perhaps not enough to notice.

10. subway13029

subway13029 Well-Known Member

so are we talking a hybrid battery/butane or.did i misread something?

Vapor_Eyes and Dan Morrison like this.
  11. invertedisdead

invertedisdead Beware of Pizza

Not both at the same time, but either/or via swappable modules. Would be awesome if it works out right.

12. Dan Morrison

^ yep!

I think it'll be important to remember that no one vaporizer can do it all. I generally dislike multi-tools because they're never the best at any one thing, they're only just OK at a bunch of things. Not ideal, IMO. I would rather have specialized tools designed to do one thing very well.

So, there must be a balance. I tend to go a bit wild with ideas... then reel myself in to a more practical place.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Prolusio, Vapor_Eyes, grokit and 11 others like this.
  13. invertedisdead

invertedisdead Beware of Pizza

I agree completely, much prefer purpose built specialized tools myself. I like to think specialized doesn't mean not versatile though. Case and point - the Vapman, cool butane powered portable vape; but then he comes out with the heating station for home use. Modularity is a great thing, and I think we're all excited to see where you go with this little gem.

14. namasteIII

namasteIII Well-Known Member

These words are good words.

15. little maggie

little maggie Well-Known Member

Why did I look at this thread? There are so many new designs coming out and this is fascinating. Add me to the list. I am no longer working so I'll have to save money for a while. Maybe we could make monthly prepayments while you're developing it or something like that.

16. emmdeemo

emmdeemo Never ever, bloody anything, ever.

VAS is just about escapable, but WAS...? Not a chance :)

17. Dan Morrison

Here's one of my real life prototypes. Just a mock-up... but this is what the final version will look like, pretty much. I used an old Japanese tobacco box for the sleeve material, but I'll have to use something different in the future.. perhaps a few different models; plain raw Kraft paper, painted, maybe Japanese washi paper coverings, custom weathering on request. Either way, this is the vibe!

Size, as you can see, is very small. Even though I've kept the rather sharp edges, it still feels comfortable in the hand.

Body on this one is walnut, with padauk heater module and stem. The mouthpiece on this is a dark blue'd steel, but I'll most likely stick to glass for the final version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. emmdeemo

emmdeemo Never ever, bloody anything, ever.

Just... Yes. 100% Yes.

19. Southern Chef

Southern Chef Well-Known Member

20. RelaxedNow

RelaxedNow Well-Known Member

@Dan Morrison, I really like the "old friend" look that you're giving this. Custom weathering even? Nice!

21. Dan Morrison

Thanks!

I should mention that the thought of "factory weathering" is sort of weird to me.. but I just like the look so much I want them to come like that new, hahah. I've always found it kinda cheesy that some jeans come with pre-worn knees..etc... So, we'll see where it goes.

22. nondarb

nondarb .

The worst is "relic'ed" guitars. Paying $150-200+ to sand wear marks, grub up the fretboard and and add some dings!

Your mock up is very tasteful though, the sleeve is what adds the retro/relic vibe and since thats easily swapped it seems you could suit nearly all interested parties.

23. Dan Morrison

@nondarb , Ah man.. yeah.. that sounds awful.

Weathering is really an art in itself. I've seen it done really well in prop-making, or Japanese tsuba craft.. but like you mentioned, it's often done very poorly.

The more I think about it, the more I don't think it's a good idea to send out pre-weathered sleeves. Give it some hard use, perhaps treating the sleeve a bit harshly, and you'll get there naturally!

24. NickDlow

NickDlow Log Hog

It's a bit hard to treat harshly considering I treat your vapes like treasure. Though idk how I feel about pre-weathered either. It's a catch 22. But I'll do my damndest to try and get that look to it. You can bet on that.

25. NizzyJones

NizzyJones Active Member

Some are legit road worn. I was giving a salesman shit about it once and he pulled one off the wall and showed me where the musician had signed it (not a big name but still).

On topic: Continues to look amazing. Incredibly small form factor.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors