The N.F.L.’s Absurd Marijuana Policy

Nesta

Nate Jackson, a former NFL player, sheds some light on MJ use in the NFL & makes some good points:

-"Virtually every single player in the N.F.L. has a certifiable need for medical marijuana.
The game we celebrate creates a life of daily pain for those who play it. Some players choose marijuana to manage this pain, which allows them to perform at a high level without sacrificing their bodies or their minds."

-"Standard pain management in the N.F.L. is pain pills and pregame injections. But not all players favor the pill and needle approach. In my experience, many prefer marijuana. The attitude toward weed in the locker room mirrors the attitude in America at large. It’s not a big deal. Players have been familiar with it since adolescence, and those who use it do so to offset the brutality of the game. The fact that they made it to the N.F.L. at all means that their marijuana use is under control."

-"In my playing days, the marijuana smokers struck me as sharper, more thoughtful and more likely to challenge authority than the nonsmokers. It makes me wonder if we weren’t that way because marijuana allowed us to avoid the heavy daze of pain pills. It gave us clarity. It kept us sane."

-"Professional football is a violent trade that could use some forward thinking. The N.F.L. and the N.F.L. Players Association, which agreed to the league’s substance abuse policy in collective bargaining, should rethink their approach. The policy reflects outdated views on marijuana and pain management, punishes players who seek an alternative to painkillers, keeps them in a perpetual state of injury and injury management, and risks creating new addicts."

Here's a link to the full opinion piece in the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/o...n-region&WT.nav=c-column-top-span-region&_r=0

MindFork

Part-Time Toker
Nate Jackson, a former NFL player, sheds some light on MJ use in the NFL & makes some good points:

-"In my playing days, the marijuana smokers struck me as sharper, more thoughtful and more likely to challenge authority than the nonsmokers. It makes me wonder if we weren’t that way because marijuana allowed us to avoid the heavy daze of pain pills. It gave us clarity. It kept us sane."
That whole being more thoughtful and challenging authority is one of the biggest, yet unacknowledged reasons that MJ is illegal, IMO. Well, WE acknowledge it...

Top Bottom