The MMA Discussion Dojo

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Thats another thing that pisses me off about the way the UFC is run and makes me wish they would take a page out of (oh, only their biggest threat once upon a time) - PRIDE and well now Bellator.

HAVE A TOURNEY TO DETERMINE WHO FIGHTS FOR THE BELT!

This way you always have a fallback to challenge for the title (and they have earned their shot* - not to mention there will be no pussifying as some feel has happened - if you are in the line then chances are you WANT to be there)

Poor planning and not having a solid contingency plan for your next big payday will ultimately lead to bad things happening (like now)

*Daniel Cormier is an exception to this 'fully' earned your shot thesis.
But his spanking of Rocky Dennis's lineage gave him the fast track to earnage.

AGBeer,
You know UFC "loves" tourney's... They would have their +/-'s. My only gripe with bellator is most the non-title champ fights are pretty BS and just for show. If they were able to do Super-Fights for the champs while waiting, it could be interesting.

After the dust has settled, I do feel Jones side more than before, with Jackson out of the country and stuff, he should have taken it though. He is a MMA "artist" and a business man, not one of the "true fighters" we are used to.
UFC is as much to blame for having card be so top heavy, and not being able to find a fight to make it work.
A game that everybody lost.
*cormeir is exciting to throw in the mix. Good luck Mir...

havealight101,

bigtvapes

Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't think Jackson is the bad guy here at all. He's Jones' trainer. Why would a trainer advise his fighter to take a challenger like Sonnen on such a tiny bit of notice?

bigtvapes,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
And with nothing to Gein.

Sonnen is like the POTUS. He is nothing more than an awesome specimen of a mouthpiece that fails to deliver when it comes down to brass tacks. Dont worry, Im sure Dana will save him a job as a PbP analyst.

AGBeer,

technique

Oh S*%t..... GSP vs the spider is finally going to go down my friends, we are going to witness history. Who do you have for this fight and why?

technique,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
That is correct - the operative word in that sentence is IF he wins at 154 (against Condit)

Personally, I would have rather seen Nick Diaz against Silva myself, cause all this means is we are going to have to wait at least another year before this comes to fruition. And then again, its that big ugly nasty word that it all hinges on - IF.

AGBeer,

tig420

GSP would never be able to win that fight anderson is a better striker and he has proven that he can beat wrestlers but it would be fun to watch GSP actually have to fight somebody instead of just find his opponents weakness and just pick at it for five rounds. i think it would be quick gsp also has a kind of weak chin (matt serra) and anderson has never been hurt even after chael landed a million unblocked shots on him in their first fight, just one of andersons laser guided fists lands on GSPs chin thats all she wrote. im excited to see if it really goes down

tig420,

technique

GSP would never be able to win that fight anderson is a better striker and he has proven that he can beat wrestlers but it would be fun to watch GSP actually have to fight somebody instead of just find his opponents weakness and just pick at it for five rounds. i think it would be quick gsp also has a kind of weak chin (matt serra) and anderson has never been hurt even after chael landed a million unblocked shots on him in their first fight, just one of andersons laser guided fists lands on GSPs chin thats all she wrote. im excited to see if it really goes down

Silva is defiantly the superior striker but as chael has shown his ground game leaves more to be desired, although he clearly deserved both wins over chael he could so easily have lost them both, in fact both victories came from the challengers sloppiness a trait not normally associated with GSP

technique,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Another thing that irritates me is how irrelevant this fight is (now) and how even more irrelevant it will be by the time it comes to fruition. (Similar to the whole Fedor debacle)

Im not saying that if it happens I wont buy it, but I damn sure wont have the vested interest in it that I did when GSP was on his terror.

AGBeer,

bigtvapes

Another thing that irritates me is how irrelevant this fight is (now) and how even more irrelevant it will be by the time it comes to fruition. (Similar to the whole Fedor debacle)

Im not saying that if it happens I wont buy it, but I damn sure wont have the vested interest in it that I did when GSP was on his terror.

GSP, in my opinion, is more dominant than ever. Sure, he's comming off of an injury, but no one's even made him look human in how many fights? At least Sonnen put Silva on his ass a few times. GSP's just been toying with his opponents now for the past few fights, completely neutralizing their offense.

bigtvapes,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Okay... Ill give you that.

GSP himself hasn't failed to perform, hes just been out of the limelight because of his injury.

His performance against Condit will be rather telling. I will be watching with great interest :D

AGBeer,

tig420

GSP, in my opinion, is more dominant than ever. Sure, he's comming off of an injury, but no one's even made him look human in how many fights? At least Sonnen put Silva on his ass a few times. GSP's just been toying with his opponents now for the past few fights, completely neutralizing their offense.
the problem i have with him is that he never looks like he wants to finish anybody and is usually content laying on someone or fighting from way outside and just winning on points

tig420,

bigtvapes

I just think it's so nice of Stephan Bonnar to step into Dexter's kill room for slaughter just so we don't have another cancelled card.

bigtvapes,

PoopMachine

I just think it's so nice of Stephan Bonnar to step into Dexter's kill room for slaughter just so we don't have another cancelled card.

Bonnar can make this a fight. The guy has tons of heart, a purple belt in BJJ under the late Carlson Gracie, a black belt in TKD and TONS of experience. I dont really expect him to win but I expect him to make the fight more interesting than Forrest or James Irvin. If he can get it to the ground, he can probably keep it there and maybe tire out Anderson, who has to be coming in somewhat out of fighting shape.

PoopMachine,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Wow... Just wow...

Anderson Silve is unplugged from the Matrix.
We are witnessing history right here folks.

AGBeer,

bigtvapes

Ther's alot of excitement over this win in the twitterverse and on facebook and what not. I mean... it's stephan bonnar. Talking purely of odds, it was the most lopsided main event in history. Anderson's win was little more than a foregone conclusion. If Anderson is in a videogame, he's rated 99. Bonnar's like a 68 lol.

bigtvapes,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
While I wont disagree with the 'caliber' of fighter that Bonnar is, the fact that while he has been beaten, he has never been stopped (or stopped in such a dramatic fashion). I can honestly say the only person that might give him a challenge nowdays is Jon Jones.

Seriously Silva - Do us all a favor and retire on top. Dont do a crash and burn like Lidell.

AGBeer,

technique

Sonnen and Jones have been picked as coaches of the next season of TUF, let the trash talk begin

technique,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
*Sigh*

And yet another fight that I really have (little) interest in seeing (that is IF they end up fighting). If Chael is butt hurt about not being able to take the title at 185 and is moving up to 205 then thats cool.

Just dont make his debut fight at 205 a title. Unless of course you are looking for a reason to get him off the payroll ;)

bigtvapes

Sonnen got the title fight because Hendo screwed that last card. At least that's what I'm thinking. Plus I think the best option for ratings for TUF is Jones/Sonnen. This way, you help out your struggling show, you have several contenders int he waiting if you need them for injuries or whatever.

Rua/Evans winner, Hendo, Gustavson, etc.

I think it was the right move. I wish Hendo got his shot but it is what it is.

bigtvapes,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Thats the problem with such a talent lacking division. *Sigh*

So we go from one TRT recipient to another.
Awesome :D

AGBeer,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Yeah, I said the same thing... From the Thiago Silva comeback, to Le's 'Lucky punch' Id say this was an awesome card for free :D

Top Bottom