the Michael Brown thread

poonman

I did not mean to imply that the Super gang would Win ,
but just that the US gov. does not need to add that distraction
to their already Full ' Homeland security ' Plate . that's all .
In fact , it's to the gov.'s advantage if the 2 gangs would
just downsize each other . I'm sure the Oval office has had discussions
on this union scenario before Baltimore or Fergus .

poonman,
Reactions: grokit

olivianewtonjohn

So many isolated outlier incidents lately ;), can these isolated outliers please stop already! Some reason police from totally different states seem to be making alot of similarly poor decisions; I wonder why that is?

Want to see some lying? Go read the original reports out of south carolina, I seem to recall a struggle and stun gun :goon:. CGI must have taken it out of cell phone footage :tinfoil:.

At least I got my question answered, what does it take to get some chargers thrown at a murdering cop?

olivianewtonjohn,

grokit

well-worn member
I'm sorry, I must have missed it. Exactly where in any of those articles and memes do they prove that the "gang truce" is a non-violent endeavor, like you suggest in your opening comment?
I'm not surprised that you missed it, as you seem to have read all four of the articles I posted and watched the eight minute video within the 11 minutes it took you to reply from the time I made my post.

But I'll make things easy for you; here's four examples of what's actually going on:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/crips-bloods-called-truce-protect-community-attack-cops/
http://www.wbaltv.com/news/gang-members-we-did-not-make-truce-to-harm-cops/32609810
http://magazine.good.is/articles/baltimore-gangs-truce
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...-disputing-the-claims-of-the-Baltimore-Police

“We did not make that truce to harm cops. We did not come together against the cops.
We will not allow you to paint that picture of us.”

Here's the bullshit that faux news and pals would like you to believe:
http://nypost.com/2015/04/27/rival-gangs-team-up-to-take-out-baltimore-cops/

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
@t-dub regarding your edit... you realize not everything you read is true, right? I udnerstand it's nice to have fanciful dreams which tie things together neatly in a pristine box, however you really need to vet your sources a bit better before making peoclimations like "this guy was the Zodiac killer and fooled everyone" when it's far from clear that this is the case (among many other inconsistencies). It would probably behoove you to get multiple (credible) sources on such a topic before coming to such conclusions, especially if they fly in the face of standing cannon or fact.

This probably goes double when the majority of your information is coming from an autobiography written by a convicted mass murderer who was already sentenced to die. I just might be willing to believe a gang member over this individual.
Dude, I listened to a 3 hour interview with the chief of detectives that headed the team that figured this all out. The facts are that they were able to decrypt his cryptograms which implicated him as the killer. In fact he put his name on several of them. It was also this investigation that led to the FBI abuse. Do your homework before you open your mouth. The website I cited is for the police officer's book, not the book published by that killer, even though there is a picture of that book on the front page. It seems you don't do anything more than a cursory glance on stuff you don't agree with. How typical . . . :rolleyes:

Edit: One of the things this officer said is that police officers have huge egos and will lie and withhold evidence all the time to support themselves. The fact that Mr. Ed was a REGISTERED FBI INFORMANT should tell you something. He was playing the system at every level. And when corruption was exposed it was covered up by the authorities.

Last edited:
t-dub,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Wow . . . Megyn Kelly on Fox is reporting that Freddie Gray crushed his own windpipe and severed 80% of his own spine trying to hurt himself in the back of the police van. How deep can the bullshit get . . .

t-dub,
Reactions: poonman

grokit

well-worn member
Wow . . . Megyn Kelly on Fox is reporting that Freddie Gray crushed his own windpipe and severed 80% of his own spine trying to hurt himself in the back of the police van. How deep can the bullshit get . . .
He supposedly accomplished this while he was handcuffed; plus they stopped to shackle his feet en route. I'm guessing they did a lot more than that on this stop. He ended up on the floor of the van, without any seat belts, in what is affectionately called (by these cops) a "nickel ride". It was completely intentional.

2clicker

Observer
Thats a terrible example for multiple reasons. That said, we can see lies on both sides in that case. Without gettign too detailed as to which lies were more egregious (as we both know how that will play out), how exactly does this invalidate my original point regarding the credibility of gang members denying participating in crimes?

its an accurate example of cops blatantly lying because that is exactly what happened. lies on the other side? sure ok, but i fail to see how that erases the lies from the cops. i said that case has examples. and it does. and you say its a terrible example...?

so why question the credibility of the guys who are telling you they are gang members? just because they are in a gang? that makes them liars? you think dudes get into gangs simply because they are assholes? lying assholes?

i think to just assume those dudes on video are lying is a bit unfair.

i realize that the idea of not being able to trust a gang member is an idea thought by many. i just think its inaccurate.

2clicker,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
He supposedly accomplished this while he was handcuffed; plus they stopped to shackle his feet en route. I'm guessing they did a lot more than that on this stop. He ended up on the floor of the van, without any seat belts, in what is affectionately called (by these cops) a "nickel ride". It was completely intentional.
For my own sanity I am going to have to stop watching television again except for the few fictional things I consume, I mainly read non-fiction, which is only GOT at this point since Better Call Saul is over for a while although college football season is ramping up with spring games. The fear and disinformation Fox News pedals is not conducive to good health for me.

Edit: "How It's Made" on the Science Channel is one of my favorite shows.

grokit

well-worn member
For my own sanity I am going to have to stop watching television again except for the few fictional things I consume, I mainly read non-fiction, which is only GOT at this point since Better Call Saul is over for a while although college football season is ramping up with spring games. The fear and disinformation Fox News pedals is not conducive to good health for me.

Edit: "How It's Made" on the Science Channel is one of my favorite shows.
Check out the spurs vs. clippers game, just started it's a hellofa series :goon: :tup:!

grokit,

grokit

well-worn member
Meanwhile, back in (a town adjacent to) ferguson, wtf...

Local Police Refuse to Allow Newly Elected Mayor to Take Office

By Joshua Krause

On April 7th, Betty McCray was elected mayor of the town of Kinloch, just outside of St. Louis, Missouri. However, after she was sworn in earlier this week, she headed toward city hall to start her term, when she was stopped by nearly two dozen police officers in front of the building (I should add that there are over 50 members of the police department for this town of 300 residents). They claimed that she had been suspended and served impeachment papers for voter fraud.

If all you read was the local mainstream news, you’d think this was a cut-and-dried case. It wouldn’t be hard to believe either. Political corruption isn’t exactly unheard of in America.

But in reality, there are a few holes in this story.

Countercurrent news reported on this strange situation last night.
Political opponents met her at the door and wrongly told her that she had been “impeached” before even taking the job. But that’s simply not true.

Mayor McCray has not been impeached and she won the April 7th election. But police were there in what seems to be a small town coup of sorts, enforcing an illegal bar on the newly-elected mayor and preventing her from taking office.

“I won. The people spoke,” McCray explained. “I was sworn in by the St. Louis County. Today I take office. I want them out, I want the keys.”

Local Fox 2 reports that “after election results were certified earlier this week by the St. Louis County Board of Elections, Kinloch’s outgoing administration refused to allow the city clerk to give McCray the oath of office, claiming voter fraud.”

But in spite of these claims, there has been no evidence whatsoever to back it up.

McCray was elected. The St. Louis County Board of Elections certified the results. But the police are enforcing an illegal “coup” of sorts. “Coup” sounds about right. The city attorney claimed that she had been sent the articles of impeachment in the mail, but she says that isn’t true. She was later sworn in by the St. Louis City Clerk, but the city attorney and the incumbent administration don’t seem to recognize it. Either way, according to Missouri state law, impeachment hearings cannot be held until thirty days after those papers are delivered. It’s hardly been three weeks since she was elected. Even if she did commit voter fraud and they could prove it, they don’t have the authority to keep her from starting her term.

Something very strange is going on here. Either the incumbent administration is using police force to maintain their office, or she did in fact commit voter fraud, and the city government doesn’t care about following proper legal procedure. Neither of those possibilities bode well for the future political landscape of America.

:rip:civil rights/rule of law/democracy:rip:

Last edited:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Looks like some charges are being filed. I'm interested to see the results of the trials. From the state's attorney general:

All six officers have been charged with second-degree assault and misconduct in office, although Goodson, Porter, Rice and White are also being charged with manslaughter. Each officer could face at least 20 years in prison if convicted, although the charges against Goodson could lead to 63 years in jail if they stick.

Goodson is also charged with “second-degree depraved heart murder,” along with involuntary manslaughter, manslaughter by gross and criminal negligence, and second degree assault.

She added that Gray was apprehended without any probable cause, and said officers “illegally arrested Mr. Gray.”

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
par for the course

Really? In what other case in this thread has this been the Official stance in their first statement.
No cover up here or shucking responsibility back on the victim and Actual charges brought against 6 cops in just a little over a week from the death.

....So what course are you playing on?

Last edited:
RUDE BOY,
Reactions: 2clicker

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Everyone's first instinct is to CYA isn't it? But for the State attorney to lay out all she did today isn't quite "par for the course" that I can see but maybe I be blind or something.

RUDE BOY,

2clicker

Observer
Really? In what other case in this thread has this been the Official stance in their first statement.
No cover up here or shucking responsibility back on the victim and Actual charges brought against 6 cops in just a little over a week from the death.

....So what course are you playing on?

what i meant was the cops arresting an innocent man is par for the course. i play the same course everyone else does... except that i dont because golf is fucking dumb and a total waste of resources.

so yeah just the part about the cops wrongfully apprehending him w/out probable cause. shit happens all the time. racially profile and then manifest a reason to arrest him.

on a dif note... regarding the video i posted... i was just thinking about the skin bleaching shit... that shit is nuts. 77% of women in nigeria do this...? that is scary to me. disturbing.

grokit

well-worn member
These guys aren't usually the sensationalistic type, they're pretty responsible investigative journalists for the most part -- which makes this a pretty interesting angle to the story imo.

Are Baltimore’s Protests the Prelude to a Revolution?

Baltimore’s riots have become an uprising. The people have demanded to be heard, and now, the city, state and federal government have to listen. The real fight is just beginning.

“Ask for work. If they do not give you work, ask for bread. If they do not give you work or bread, then take bread.” – Emma Goldman

Nothing happens in a vacuum. The Baltimore Uprising, as it’s been dubbed on Twitter, is not just the community’s response to Freddie Gray’s murder at the hands of Baltimore police. While it may have started out that way, the anger that has exploded across Maryland’s largest city is a response to three systemic issues – staggering levels of unacknowledged poverty and persistent unemployment, the occupying military force known as the Baltimore Police Department, and the complacent and corrupt Baltimore city government.

Staggering Poverty and Inequality

Across the bay from Baltimore is Somerset County, home to a small community named Princess Anne. Earlier this month in Princess Anne, Rodney Todd, a single black father, and his seven kids between ages six and 16 were found dead in their home. There was no power in the house, and the generator that had been running to heat the home through the night was switched on, but out of gas.

The power was off because Delmarva Power, the local electric company, had found what they called a “stolen meter” connected to Todd’s home and disconnected it. Todd, his two sons, and his five daughters, were found dead in sleeping positions. Family members recalled how Todd, who was a utility worker at the University of Maryland’s Eastern Shore campus, had complained of having trouble paying his utility bills. The last night anyone saw Todd alive, temperatures had dipped into the twenties. With no electricity, Todd bought the generator to keep his family warm while they slept.

Even though Todd’s family lived across the bay from Baltimore, they were trapped under the same boot that treads upon communities like Ferguson, Mo., Detroit, Mich., and Baltimore’s Sandtown-Winchester neighborhood, where Freddie Gray was illegally arrested. The destructive actions by a small minority of protesters in recent days are the desperate expressions of a community whose cries for help have fallen on deaf ears.

While it’s well-known that the big banks were terrorizing poor communities everywhere with subprime loans in the run-up to the financial crisis, their behavior is no more apparent than in Baltimore. Between 2005 and 2008, Wells Fargo preyed on Baltimore’s black community by targeting black churches, hoping that the ministers would convince congregations to take out subprime loans with Wells Fargo. More than half of the Baltimore properties in foreclosure with a Wells Fargo loan from 2005 to 2008 are currently vacant. In 2012, Wells Fargo was forced to pay out $175 million for pricing discrimination. Internal communications at Wells Fargo showed how employees called the subprime loans “ghetto loans,” and referred to their victims as “mud people.”

In Sandtown-Winchester, part of ZIP code 21217, the unemployment rate for the mostly-black neighborhood’s 9,174 residents is 51.8 percent. In 2011, all ZIP code 21217 residents were experiencing a 19.1 percent unemployment rate. 33 percent of buildings there are vacant (compare that to a much smaller rate of 5 percent vacancy for all buildings in Baltimore). And while national median income is $51,939, Sandtown’s median income is $24,000, which is below the federal poverty line for a family of four. To contrast, in ZIP code 21210, which is just on the other side of Interstate 83, median income is $50,000 higher, and average real estate sale prices are $300,000 higher. And across Maryland, white unemployment was just 5.6 percent in 2012, while black unemployment rates were in the double digits.

With the three-hit combo of globalization, union-busting, and racial bias, Baltimore’s inequality has been a decades-long trend. Between 1950 and 1995, the city lost 100,000 manufacturing jobs, and the local economy has been suffering ever since – particularly in the black community. 75 percent of black men in Baltimore had jobs in 1970, yet just 57.5 percent of black men were employed in 2010. But in that same year, 75 percent of white men in Baltimore were employed – a 20 percent gap. This level of persistent poverty in black communities has a profoundly negative effect. In Baltimore, black infants are nine times more likely to die before age 1 than white infants. That’s a worse infant mortality rate than Moldova and Belize.

A Traitorous and Corrupt Local Government

While Baltimore’s top politicians are mostly black and affiliated with the Democratic Party, they’re just as ruthless at redistributing the community’s wealth to rich developers as any white Republican. Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, who called the Freddie Gray protesters “thugs,” and her henchmen in the Baltimore City Council, like council president Jack Young, continue the Baltimore city government’s tradition of giving developers tax breaks hand-over-fist while short-changing residents on essential services.

Most recently, Rawlings-Blake signed off on a plan to shut off water for the city’s poorest residents. As I reported in ThinkProgress, 25,000 ratepayers who have overdue bills of just $250 or more are losing their access to water. Baltimore water rates have skyrocketed by 31 percent in just three years, and another 11 percent rate hike will go into effect this July. This plan to shut off water comes on the heels of the Rawlings-Blake administration’s failed attempt to privatize city water systems through the Veolia Corporation in August of 2014.

http://www.nationofchange.org/2015/04/30/are-baltimores-protests-the-prelude-to-a-revolution/

Read the rest at Occupy.com

grokit

well-worn member
Five of them are reportedly already in custody :tup:

Six officers charged in death of Freddie Gray
Gray suffered a "severe and critical neck injury" as a result of being handcuffed, shackled and not seat-belted in the van, Mosby said.

Lorning Cornish, right, celebrates at the corner of West North Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue after charges were announced against six Baltimore police officers in the death of Freddie Gray.

Charges against police in Freddie Gray's death prompted celebrations but also concern around West Baltimore. The six Baltimore police officers involved in the arrest of Freddie Gray – who died after being injured in police custody – have been charged criminally, State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced Friday. Mosby's announcement on the steps of the War Memorial Building was greeted with cheers and applause. Mosby said she told Gray's family that "no one is above the law and I would pursue justice upon their behalf."

Investigation and medical examiner reports say Freddie Gray's death a homicide. Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby will file charges against all 6 officers involved in the arrest. (Baltimore Sun)

The city was gearing up for another round of demonstrations after the announcement. Baltimore City and Maryland state offices granted workers in the city liberal leave early Friday afternoon.

After the charges were announced, Desmond Taylor, 29, shouted in jubilee in front of the War Memorial Building. "I did not expect this, but I prayed for it," he said. "This day means that your actions bring consequences in Baltimore City."

Reacting to news of the charges, President Barack Obama called it "absolutely vital that the truth come out." "What I think the people of Baltimore want more than anything else is the truth," the president said. "That's what people around the country expect."

All six officers were in custody and being processed at Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center as of 2 p.m., said Gerard Shields, a spokesman for the department of Public Safety and Correctional Services.
Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., 45, who was the driver of a police van that carried Gray through the streets of Baltimore, was charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter, second-degree assault, two vehicular manslaughter charges and misconduct in office. A man who answered the phone at Goodson's home declined to comment and hung up the phone.

Officer William Porter, 25, was charged with involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault and misconduct in office. Lt. Brian Rice, 41, was charged with involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault and misconduct in office. Sgt. Alicia White, 30, was charged with involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault and misconduct in office. Officer Edward Nero, 29, was charged with second-degree assault and misconduct in office. Officer Garrett Miller, 26, was charged with second-degree assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment. If convicted of all charges, Goodson would face up to 63 years in prison, Rice would face up to 30 years and Porter, Nero, Miller and White would face up to 20 years.

Kevin Moore, who shot video of Freddie Gray's arrest, shows his support for City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby's decision to charge the officers involved in Gray's death. Gray, 25, was chased down and arrested by Baltimore officers on April 12 and died a week later.

'Thorough' investigation

In a detailed recounting of the events, Mosby described Gray being repeatedly denied medical attention by police officers, even as he asked for medical help and later was unresponsive in a police van. She also said his arrest was illegal, performed without probable cause. A knife found in his pocket was not an illegal switchblade, as police had previously reported, Mosby said.
"I got hugged by someone I don't even know," said Kristyn Porter, 23, of East Baltimore.

Porter said she had business to attend to nearby, but when she heard the announcement would be made at War Memorial, she stopped to listen.

"I'm happy justice was served, and things can calm down now," Porter, who works in security, said. "The only other thing people are angry about is the curfew."

She and her friend, Raquel Burke, 23, said they hadn't been able to attend any of the marches so far.

"Now I want to go to this one," said Burke, eyeing a flyer for a rally at City Hall at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Reactions on the streets were a mix of celebration and lingering concern.

National and local reaction to charges in Freddie Gray case

In West Baltimore, cars honked their horns. A man hanging out of a truck window pumped his fists and yelled; "Justice! Justice! Justice!"

At the corner where Gray was arrested, 53-year-old Willie Rooks held his hands up in peace signs and screamed, "Justice!"

In Gilmor Homes, the neighborhood where Gray was arrested, things were quiet, with a police helicopter circling overhead. At the intersection of North and Pennsylvania avenues, the scene of rioting Monday and demonstrations all week, traffic moved through with many motorists honking their horns.

Meech Tucker, 23, wearing a T-shirt that read, "I Bleed Baltimore," said: "If it was one of us doing that against a police officer, it would be first-degree murder."

Waiting to catch a bus near the Western District Police Station, Joann El-Amin said her husband called to give her the news about the officers being charged. "Everyone should be punished if they did something wrong," she said.

But she wasn't keen on the protests that turned violent.

"I just wish they'd stop this foolishness; the people tearing up their own neighborhoods. It makes no sense. I told my son, who works downtown, to go home and not get caught up in it. ...You don't know if the crowd is peaceful or full of foolish people. I didn't need to protest. I knew it would come out in the wash," she said.

Dwayne Wright, 44, said: "An indictment is not a conviction. They had to do something. I definitely feel leaders could have done it in other cases."

Michael Hall, 52, said he hoped the charges weren't filed just in an attempt to calm violence in the city.

"I hope she doesn't pin it on one of them when it's time for trial," he said. "Are they gonna stick by these charges?"

At Baltimore City College High School, seniors Desmond Campbell and Briana Carrington hugged as they watched in their classroom the announcement that officers would be charged in Gray's death.

"I was feeling very liberated and vindicated – it literally could have been me," Campbell said. "This is such a powerful movement."

Next steps

The arrested officers will have their bail set by a court commissioner within 24 hours. If they are not released or cannot post bail, they will go before a judge in District Court the next business day.

If they are held, Shields wouldn't say where they would be placed in the jail, citing "security reasons."

More statements on the charges are expected over the course of the afternoon. Gray's family and their lawyer are scheduled to speak at 5 p.m.

Baltimore Sun reporters Yvonne Wenger, Meredith Cohn, Erica L. Green, Jessica Anderson, Kevin Rector, Erin Cox, Justin Fenton, Mark Puente, Doug Donovan, Liz Bowie, John Fritze, Jean Marbella and Alison Knezevich contributed to this report.

pwood@baltsun.com

twitter.com/pwoodreporter

Last edited:
Top Bottom