mAti

Yes, but what if it's NOT completely dried out? I can't know if the whole alcohol is evaporated, when the cotton is full of resin;) I'm very particular about this, but if the cotton hasn't enough time or air, to fully evaporate the alc, it COULD be possible, that a rest alcohol will be vaporized. And in this case, vodka would be the better choice, wouldn't it? It's more, that I have a good conscience, to not inhale the other chemicals in rubbing alcohol.

mAti,
Reactions: OF

Krazzykid

Yes, but what if it's NOT completely dried out? I can't know if the whole alcohol is evaporated, when the cotton is full of resin;) I'm very particular about this, but if the cotton hasn't enough time or air, to fully evaporate the alc, it COULD be possible, that a rest alcohol will be vaporized. And in this case, vodka would be the better choice, wouldn't it? It's more, that I have a good conscience, to not inhale the other chemicals in rubbing alcohol.
Doesn't matter what type of alcohol it is, inhaling any alcohol fumes is very bad for your health. If you plan to use that method of reclaiming from the stem then you MUST let it evaporate completely.

If you are pushing a q-tip through the stem to reclaim the oil, then alcohol is not necessary at all. Just make sure the q-tip is a tight fit and it will push all the oil out with it.

Isopropyl alcohol (commonly referred to as rubbing alcohol) contains nothing but alcohol and water (no mystery chemicals). As long as those are the only two ingredients listed on the back then you are fine. If it happens to list another chemical then stay away from it.
Some types will have menthol or other additives for soothing effect, stay away from any kind with anything other than alcohol or water listed.

PS, water is a chemical as well. Just because something is a "chemical" does not make it unsafe so long as you use it in it's intended fashion.

OF

Doesn't matter what type of alcohol it is, inhaling any alcohol fumes is very bad for your health.

PS, water is a chemical as well. Just because something is a "chemical" does not make it unsafe so long as you use it in it's intended fashion.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. IMO breathing a fraction of a drop of Ethanol is trivial compared to drinking a few ounces of the stuff. There you breathe the stuff constantly in your own exhaust until you sober up. It's not like your liver never sees the stuff (even if you don't drink, it happens naturally). Other alcohols are a different case, most of us don't drink those (on purpose).

That seems more like advice you'd get from some old bitty temperance marcher than sound medical based advice.

While it's true water is a chemical (as is air of course) and therefore we can't avoid chemicals all together, no less a sage than WC Fields advises avoiding the stuff as 'fish do such scandalous things in it'. As to the "use it in it's intended fashion" I suggest that's exactly what the OP proposed when he suggested 'cheap vodka' which while often panned by snobs is indeed intended for human consumption.

OF

axakal

my situation is the same like yours. i wrote them and asked them sepcifically about the warranty on the orbiter in case of buying from a european shop instead of ordering from them directly. i mentioned the the two shops i know they are working close together with and which seem to be the two carrying the orbiter in europe. i posted magic flight's whole response excluding the greeting formula. their answer is pretty clear. byuing from verdampftnochmal or vapefiend is definitely covered by the warranty. they didn't enter in specifics, how they would deal with a warranty case, should it be necessary. but from my past dealings with magic flight i have no reason at all to be affraid, they would bend their words. i suppose they would want to see the receipt, which i would have kept anyway.

:( Ok, problem is that importing goods from the US to Europe is really very expensive. From the reply that Axakal got on his e-mail, i understood that it does not matter to MF i you buy locally or in their own shop. I thought that if i would buy one in Europe and keep the receipt to prove that i bought it before 2015; it would be fine.

Last edited:
axakal,

mAti

I bought my MFLB from Near Dark (many german head shops buy their stuff there, so mine did too). Hopefully everything is fine with the warranty.
To the alcohol problem: I heard from some people, who let a bottle of vodka evaporate in a sauna, because it was way too expensive in north europe to buy enough for everyone to drink. So the whole sauna got drunken with one bottle of vodka. :D:D
So inhaling ethanol shouldn't be worse than drinking this stuff. (I don't know how it's with the way higher temperatures in the MFLB compared to a sauna).
I will try to get a small amount of clean isopropyl alcohol or ethanol in the next pharmacy (I'll choose the cheaper one, if they have both).

puddleglum

I mainly want to use the vodka to clean the stem with a Q-tip, and vape the cotton of the Q-tip with the resin of the stem. Cleaning the box itself should be no problem with isopropyl alcohol. What happens, when I vape the very small amount of (rest) vodka in the cotton? I think it will be a lot safer, than vaping rests of the shitty rubbing alcohol. If it tastes like shit, but is not bad for health, it's okay, because I will try to let it dry every time. Only in worst case, it shouldn't be a problem for my health (that's why I don't want to use isopropyl alcohol or methanol for this).

No alcohol is necessary. When the stem is warm after a session, the Q-tip will clean all the resin just by friction.

OF

To the alcohol problem: I heard from some people, who let a bottle of vodka evaporate in a sauna, because it was way too expensive in north europe to buy enough for everyone to drink. So the whole sauna got drunken with one bottle of vodka. :D:D
So inhaling ethanol shouldn't be worse than drinking this stuff. (I don't know how it's with the way higher temperatures in the MFLB compared to a sauna).

Great story! I suspect something entirely different is in play, the speed of 'uptake' (how fast it gets into your blood). Just like THC, in vapor form it can enter the blood directly, it's 'there' in seconds. Complete with a rush due to the rate. Consider an average eatable dose, say 40mg of THC. Contrast that with taking a few oil hits at 1/10 that level (remember, oil is less potent than pure THC). It takes much longer to get off eating it, and you have to eat a lot more for the same effect. Same deal with Ethanol. A smaller dose hits you faster and harder as vapor over liquid. You recover faster, too.

It can be dangerous. Here in California we make wine. Lots of wine. Some of the traditional makers use huge redwood tanks for this with amazingly small hatches for guys to enter and scrub them out between batches. The wood absorbs both alcohol and CO2 (to a lesser but dangerous extent). Guys use air hoses and masks since you can get stupid on a single breath, falling down drunk on the second and pass out on the third to fall into the CO2 at the bottom and suffocate. Being human, guys used to 'just take a little whff' from time to time to take the edge off. Only enough misjudged that they went to 'two men in' even before OSHA made rules about forced veneration that were of course routinely ignored. A couple years back I recall reading about another one going to tank cleaner heaven that way, seems his partner was 'too intoxicated to effect a timely rescue'.........

As far as your liver (and the rest of you) cares it doesn't matter how the alcohol gets there (either naturally, by drinking, breathing, enema or injecting) once it gets into the blood. A fraction of a drop breathed in over a few minutes is less alcohol to deal with than a short beer hours later. Not to worry, MF is for enjoying.

OF

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
For those of you afraid of inhaling alcohol
It's how the "cool kids" are getting drunk these days.

As for wanting the alcohol to be fully evaporated ... just hit the battery for a couple of seconds after cleaning your box and watch it evaporate of the screen and your good to go.

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Ingesting alcohol by breathing the vapour is stupid because it is almost impossible to judge the amount and the method bypasses the body's natural defense against alcohol poisoning, which is your stomach. That's why drunks throw up.

That will be the last word on this topic, please.

mplx

my situation is the same like yours. i wrote them and asked them sepcifically about the warranty on the orbiter in case of buying from a european shop instead of ordering from them directly. i mentioned the the two shops i know they are working close together with and which seem to be the two carrying the orbiter in europe. i posted magic flight's whole response excluding the greeting formula. their answer is pretty clear. byuing from verdampftnochmal or vapefiend is definitely covered by the warranty. they didn't enter in specifics, how they would deal with a warranty case, should it be necessary. but from my past dealings with magic flight i have no reason at all to be affraid, they would bend their words. i suppose they would want to see the receipt, which i would have kept anyway.
Well i got my reply.
As you may know, the Orbiter glass is only included in its Lifetime Functional Warranty coverage if it was purchased directly from us
Well that`s clear. The option they offer is that they can mark it as an "under $25 gift" and then it should not be taxed by customs.

To be honest, i do not have much confidence in that solution.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Ouch :/ i honestly didn't expect that. I feel for ya @mplx

How much would shipping be to where you are, if you bought from magic flight?

KidFated.,
Reactions: mplx

mplx

Ouch :/ i honestly didn't expect that. I feel for ya @mplx

How much would shipping be to where you are, if you bought from magic flight?

Uhm $79.00 for the Orbiter + let`s say $15,00 shipping +40% tax/invoice

That would be an ~$125,00 (~€102,00) orbiter with warranty on glass :wave:

If i would buy it in Germany it would cost me €69,00 +€7,00 shipping and i would receive it in 2 days, but no warranty on glass.

Last edited:

axakal

i find it very strange, that we have got contradictory replies. i'll ask them again then, quoting you and their first mail. :) 40% tax is insane and i thought 20% in germany would be a lot. the gift trick could actually work, since the orbiter looks like a novelty vase and they have no idea, what the real value of the item could be.

Well i got my reply. Well that`s clear. The option they offer is that they can mark it as an "under $25 gift" and then it should not be taxed by customs.

To be honest, i do not have much confidence in that solution.

axakal,

KidFated.

Unknown Member
i find it very strange, that we have got contradictory replies. i'll ask them again then, quoting you and their first mail. :) 40% tax is insane and i thought 20% in germany would be a lot. the gift trick could actually work, since the orbiter looks like a novelty vase and they have no idea, what the real value of the item could be.
A simple google of the item could cause issues, no?
Edit-no customs experience at all, just thinking

KidFated.,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Uhm $79.00 for the Orbiter + let`s say $15,00 shipping +40% tax/invoice

That would be an ~$125,00 (~€102,00) orbiter with warranty on glass :wave:

If i would buy it in Germany it would cost me €69,00 +€7,00 shipping and i would receive it in 2 days, but no warranty on glass.

If it helps, I think the Orbiter is unlikely to break if handled with routine care. I'm a complete glass klutz and I don't worry about breaking it at all. My biggest fear is a stuck GonG adapter, so I remove everything except when in use.

axakal

maybe you're right. my experiences witrh the customs are very limited too. i've only ordered four times from the US, strangely all of them vaporizing related. the vapolution came through as a gift. :) the replacement launch box came through without any problems also. the gn0me was such an obscure product, they probably didn't know what to think of it. but when i ordered the PA, it got stuck there, only because it had a charger. when i went to pick it up, they were clueless, where to start and honestly seemed bored to death with their jobs. so it's hard to tell, whether they'd go the extra mile and google the real price of the orbiter. unfortunatelly past personal experiences don't count that much, as the events can take a different course every time.

A simple google of the item could cause issues, no?
Edit-no customs experience at all, just thinking

Last edited:

LadyKavaKava

MFLB Frequent Flyer
If it helps, I think the Orbiter is unlikely to break if handled with routine care. I'm a complete glass klutz and I don't worry about breaking it at all. My biggest fear is a stuck GonG adapter, so I remove everything except when in use.

I'm always SUPER careful with my stuff. I won't even let other people handle my stuff, and especially my MFLB products. If you just take good care of it, it shouldn't break. And take precautions beforehand, i.e. don't hold it over cement or tile vs. carpeting, store in a very secure place, handle like you're dealing with a bomb, lol. Anyway, that's how I take care of my stuff and I've had less breakage of smoking paraphernalia than anyone I know.

mplx

Yes 40% is insane but it happens regularly. For example, i bought a PA on Massdrop: PA + Shipping $62.36*0,8=€49.89 + invoice/tax €21,61 , so that was and will be the last time i bought something on Massdrop :wave:

And customs invoice know all the tricks, it`s their job. I think the more labels "cheap, under $25 Christmasgift for my poor, sick grandpa:myday:" the parcel has, the more likely it will be they open it and check everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom