• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Love my LB but have a question I would really appreciate any answers to. I have some kind of "build up" along both sides of the top of the trench, where it starts to flatten out. I'm guessing it is from my flowers but concerned it is impeding performance.

Confused as to why it is there since I brush it out after each trench and never load above the sides. How would I clean it because I'm obviously concerned about the screen being delicate? Seems to be strongly adhered.

Thanks in advance
Do a burn off. It sticks there when you shake the box.

KidFated.,

OF

I'm guessing it is from my flowers but concerned it is impeding performance.

Confused as to why it is there since I brush it out after each trench and never load above the sides. How would I clean it because I'm obviously concerned about the screen being delicate? Seems to be strongly adhered.

First off, howdy, welcome to the Forum and all the fun. Good folks helping each other. IMO great choice with MFLB.

You're no doubt right, your herb is contributing. In general, the problem is too moist. This seems to lead to deposits where the moisture first condenses. It's probably also building up under the screen as well, just not enough to notice yet?

First rule, don't mess with it. No scraping. Guys start out very careful and all, but the end result is always the same. A tiny weld or two breaks and it spreads from there. Collectively they're fine, as individuals they're tiny and frail really. Very careful work with ISO (keep it off the wood.....) and swabs can reduce it, but it doesn't really effect anything and eventually will 'dry out and blow away' in most cases.

The long term fix is to keep the herb well cured and fine ground.

Regards,

OF

Thanks for replies. I use the finishing grinder so know the grind is right so guess herb being a little too moist could be the issue. I'll try a burn off and brush first and then light ISO swab if needed.

exsterminator,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Thanks for replies. I use the finishing grinder so know the grind is right so guess herb being a little too moist could be the issue. I'll try a burn off and brush first and then light ISO swab if needed.

While it looks a bit ugly, that buildup is not hampering your LB's performance. The best treatment is to just ignore it.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
If it's the buildup on the "wings" of the trench it's normal, what's happening is those wings don't get heated up (only the trench part) and as the vapor swirls around inside it condenses on there a tiny bit, enough that tiny little particles of your stuff get caught on them as you draw/shake. Like everyone else said there's no performance decrease as it's not being given any power, the vaporizing is happening between the rods.

If it's the buildup on the "wings" of the trench it's normal, what's happening is those wings don't get heated up (only the trench part) and as the vapor swirls around inside it condenses on there a tiny bit, enough that tiny little particles of your stuff get caught on them as you draw/shake. Like everyone else said there's no performance decrease as it's not being given any power, the vaporizing is happening between the rods.

Build up wasn't ON the wings but where the trench rolls over to the flat part. I imagine it is where the rods are running and build up was inside the trench, not outside.

Burn off cleaned it up well. Thanks for the feedback though

MichaelAB

Considering the tight tolerances MF seems to have (I think that's a good thing, usually, as it compliments design and QC, most of the time), the one, tiny nit-pick I can find thus far is with a finishing grinder. The one I received is a little too big for it to fit into the LB's bowl: bottom lip of the finishing grinder doesn't fit into the bowl without a lot of force. It's supposed to, right? It's doubly difficult to get it out and almost requires tools. I forced it once and I won't do it again... It grinds great, it just doesn't fit into either of the two LBs that I have (one used, one new and unused; I'm in a dry climate).

It shouldn't take much sanding to get it to fit (e.g. I'm not crying a river here!), I'm just curious to know if I'm alone.

On a side note, I experience the shoulder-hump build up as well, even with very dry herb. A proper cleaning and burn off seem to help. I also--very gently--use a pipe cleaner to swab up (did I mentioned gently?) some of the accumulation under the screen. Gently. Don't poke the little light, or break the tiny, tiny, tiny wires to the bulb!

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
take a emery board or nail file and run around the edge of the finishing grinder, with a few seconds work it may fit, can't hurt.

caves

Living the vape life
Considering the tight tolerances MF seems to have (I think that's a good thing, usually, as it compliments design and QC, most of the time), the one, tiny nit-pick I can find thus far is with a finishing grinder. The one I received is a little too big for it to fit into the LB's bowl: bottom lip of the finishing grinder doesn't fit into the bowl without a lot of force. It's supposed to, right? It's doubly difficult to get it out and almost requires tools. I forced it once and I won't do it again... It grinds great, it just doesn't fit into either of the two LBs that I have (one used, one new and unused; I'm in a dry climate).

It shouldn't take much sanding to get it to fit (e.g. I'm not crying a river here!), I'm just curious to know if I'm alone.

On a side note, I experience the shoulder-hump build up as well, even with very dry herb. A proper cleaning and burn off seem to help. I also--very gently--use a pipe cleaner to swab up (did I mentioned gently?) some of the accumulation under the screen. Gently. Don't poke the little light, or break the tiny, tiny, tiny wires to the bulb!
I have two finishing grinders and have had two launch boxes (one warrantied). They are all compatible, though the fit varies slightly. It's believable to me that on your end your launch box hole might be slightly too small, or your finishing grinder slightly too large, or both, but a little filing will definitely do the trick. :)

I try not to touch the rollover buildup too much. My old box developed a micro tear there from pretty gentle brushing. The mesh over the rails is really delicate, and buildup there doesn't seem to affect performance in any notable way. Keeping your herb dry goes a long way towards preventing buildup in any vape. I like to pop a couple of silica gel packets or capsules into my herb jar. Within a few days everything is bone dry and crisp, perfect for use in the launch box.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

I'd contact Magic-Flight for advice about the grinder.

Concerning cleaning: the most delicate part of the LB screen is where it bends over the heating rods. That's a good reason to not clean there, since the build-up is a cosmetic issue and not a performance one. Brushing it lightly with ISO and then heating will soften it for removal but then you have to brush it, and I for one don't think the risk is worth it.

Cleaning under the screen is also risky. The safest way to remove some of the build-up under the screen is a prolonged heating while the LB is positioned vertically upright with the inhalation hole at the bottom. The resin will soften and flow out the hole, but some will always remain. This is a messy procedure, but the good news is that you can vapourize the resin and it's pretty effective. You have to be careful not to make a mess out of end of the LB around the hole, though.

octo

What does that mean?
Hi everyone,
I have had my MFLB for about three years now, and was just interested in asking whether or not the newer models are just as good in terms of performance. I recently used a couple newer MFLB models with the different batteries and felt they did a much better job heating up the bud. Right nowI think there is a lot of internal build up under the screen/through the draw hole. Any advice would gladly be appreciated.
Thanks!

Krazzykid

Hi everyone,
A couple questions for you,
1. How old are your batteries? If older than 6mo-1year(depending on abuse), you will be better off with new batteries.

2. What batteries are you using, are they the new logo batteries or any of the other ones frequently mentioned in here?

The boxes do start to run a little cooler as they age and get plenty of use. As long as you keep the screen clean, box and components free from damage, clean the contact points if they get dirty/corroded, then it will continue to function properly in most cases.
If fouling gets so bad that you feel the device no longer functions as it should(and you have tried batteries that aren't warn out), simply start a warranty claim process. They are good people and will most likely replace it under warranty if performance is hindered.

Last edited:

llamaman001

octo, I have both a new walnut and a 3 year old maple unit. My new walnut produces CLOUDS, my old maple gets the tiniest, whispiest hits you can imagine. Within 2 seconds on my walnut I have vapor, it takes 5 to get whispy vapor on the maple.

This is all with brand new fully charged batteries. On my maple, while using the power adapter I have to crank it up to 100% to get the same amount of power as I do at 50% on the walnut

Im actually thinking about writing in to magic flight and seeing if they will replace my old maple.

b0

Cloudy...
Hi people! Just received my finishing grinder and have a couple doubts. Should I clean it before use? How often and what you use to clean it?

Thx!!

b0,

caves

Living the vape life
Hi people! Just received my finishing grinder and have a couple doubts. Should I clean it before use? How often and what you use to clean it?

Thx!!
I've never cleaned mine. Sometimes, if I have stickier or wetter bud I'll get buildup, but it's easy enough to scrape it off with a little flat head screwdriver. When using well cured and dryer stuff it practically cleans itself out. I do brush it out after every use.

octo

What does that mean?
A couple questions for you,
1. How old are your batteries? If older than 6mo-1year(depending on abuse), you will be better off with new batteries.

2. What batteries are you using, are they the new logo batteries or any of the other ones frequently mentioned in here?

The boxes do start to run a little cooler as they age and get plenty of use. As long as you keep the screen clean, box and components free from damage, clean the contact points if they get dirty/corroded, then it will continue to function properly in most cases.
If fouling gets so bad that you feel the device no longer functions as it should(and you have tried batteries that aren't warn out), simply start a warranty claim process. They are good people and will most likely replace it under warranty if performance is hindered.

My batteries are as old as the box itself. I have the same pair of stock batteries that I've been using the whole time (charged over 300 times). Additionally, I have the power adapter but still frequently have to put it to at least 75% to properly toast the bud, and even then it never gets fully brown. I think it may actually be a combination factor of the batteries and the box itself. I'm wondering what I should say to Magic Flight.
Thanks for the replies thus far.

octo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
My batteries are as old as the box itself. I have the same pair of stock batteries that I've been using the whole time (charged over 300 times). Additionally, I have the power adapter but still frequently have to put it to at least 75% to properly toast the bud, and even then it never gets fully brown. I think it may actually be a combination factor of the batteries and the box itself. I'm wondering what I should say to Magic Flight.

You say exactly what you said here. There is a test you can do to determine if your LB is running cold. I'm not sure where you'd set the PA to duplicate this test, however. My guess is about 50%, and I doubt it would be as high as 75%. Magic-Flight might have some advice on that. You need to know what setting to use if you want to use it to determine whether it's the LB or the batteries.

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
New batteries still wouldn't hurt, I've had and have more then one PA and the dial settings vary from PA to PA and wall wart to wall wart and I always use mine at at least 75%.

Last edited:
RUDE BOY,

Krazzykid

Exactly as pakalolo already said. Just start a warranty process on the magic flight website.
Don't sugar coat anything, just tell them exactly the same things you have told us here. I am confident they will get you all sorted out.

You will need some new batteries for sure though. Batteries aren't a part of the warranty, so you will need to purchase new ones yourself. I recommend getting new ones every 6 months- 1 year(obviously depending on how much you use them they could last longer), we run them pretty hard in this application.

If you plan to use only the PA, then obviously you don't need new batteries. I would, however, properly dispose of those batteries you currently have. They've had a good life but it's time to retire.

Top Bottom