1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Magic-Flight Box

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by magicflight, May 16, 2009.

1. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl SPACE GOD 宇宙

That should be imgur.com ;)

OF and KidFated. like this.
  2. Traaaaan

Traaaaan Active Member

Greetings all. I purchased the mflb recently and love it. Much smoother and better tasting than my bowl and more efficient than my bong.

I use a small 2 piece cosmic grinder which pulverizes my bud but decided to give the finishing grinder a try. I ordered that along with the orbiter today and cannot wait for them to arrive!

Next step is the power adapter but that may not be for a couple months.

Hope to be around for a bit. Great thread and forum!

3. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Member

Thanks for the replies. OK so in the trench there should be small open space in all 4 corners. When I got it the trench was tighter and the gaps smaller and now they are wide enough to accumulate and get clogged with herbs. These gaps have been expanding a bit and one of them the edge is starting to curl. My unit isn't doing so good as far as its performance so I am wondering if something is wrong and if I damaged it in some way. I am having some problems with this MFLB. I sorta like it. I like some things about it but it doesn't seem to get me were I need to be. I only get a few good draws from a trench. The first 2 draws are ok and then it begins to taste like crap. I like to get the most out of a trench and don't want to waste herb so I try and get 5-6 draws but by the time I get to my 5 draw it tastes realy bad. I scorched this trench with a combustion when I first got it. I have since cleaned it with iso. How many decent draws do you guys get from a trench? I barely get 3-4 at best. It seems like it is wasting herb on me. SO far I am an unhappy MFLB owner. I want to be a happy owner. I have read the wiki page and watched many videos and read the entire owners manual. I know how to hit it. I take LONG slow draws for like 30 sec+. I sip it with quick small puffs. I have the technique down solid. I know what to do But it just isn't getting me there. It's been a month and a half now. I have the finishing grinder and I have top shelf herbs the herbs are perfect for this thing. Dry and finely ground so that isn't the problem. I have been back sliding to my pipe. I do love that first hit and the way it tastes. The first two hits I get a good tasting vape but then it tapers off fast. I don't get much smoke and I am not sure if this thing is kicking out the vape. When I first got it it was really working good for about a week and a half. I got it wired but then there seems to be a drop off in its performance. I was getting nice big clouds of killer vape but now I barely see a wisp of vaper. I am not sure what to do with this thing. I would have to get the pa as I need the car charger for camping. I already spent money on 4 new duracell batteries and I am reluctant of putting more money into this thing. I would need to also buy a power outlet for my vehicle so I could recharge the batteries while camping. This is going to be an issue as I go flyfishing for mutliple days/weeks and would need like to be able to do 3-4 trenches while I am out in my kayak flyfishing. I am on the water an hour before sun up and often fish till the late afternoon. Then there is the evening rise so a few more trenches. That's a lot of fuckin batteries.
    I was going to get this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040U3MI8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWZ3LXPHZK09 and then plug my 1 hour duracell charger into it. I was also thinking about a solar charger for camping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042Z14FO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AK832STHYY3A.

Any advice to help me get the most out of this MFLB would be greatly appreciated. Need a little help or a new unit maybe.

Thanks on the photo's. That exactly what I figured I needed to do. Upload to photobucket and then IMG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    OF likes this.
  4. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Is this your first vape?

At the risk of repeating myself, I don't think there's anything wrong with your MFLB from what you say.

I'd also forget the Duracell idea, stick with the factory battery or one of the proven performers. The MFLB is a very very demanding device. 15 Amps, give or take. Way past the specs on AA NiMH batteries. Only a few work at all (although are top choices for less demanding duty), fewer still work well. This is why battery life is so short, power is used at an amazing rate.

Forget little solar chargers, we need way more power than happens there. The one I have would take several days to store enough for one trench. OTHO, there's a lot of very nice NiMH chargers that run on 12 VDC, getting one to work in your car should be easy to do with a common 'car cord' as the power connectors are pretty standard at 2.1X5.5mm. This is my favorite charger (although mine is a BC900, it works on 12 VDC:
    http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Tec...&qid=1408125444&sr=8-12&keywords=nimh charger

Other, cheaper, units also run on '12 Volt Wall Warts'. I'm sure you can find one. Much better than an inverter to make 120 VAC.

While it's somewhat intuitive, it also is a skill set you need to get on board with. It's only going to work the way it's designed to, not necessarily the way the owner wants. Lots of folks have 'teething problems' with MFLB, but basically none are related to defective boxes sold as new to the owner.

IMO you should experiment with different techniques, not expect to adopt some other owner's favorite one.

Good luck with it, IMO it's well worth the effort.

OF

TanukiCoast, Vicki and KidFated. like this.
  5. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Member

I do not want to spend another $50 for this MFLB or sink any more money into this thing if it doesn't work. It came with a charger and I also have a 1 hour duracell charger which works great. Buying batteries, chargers this and that for this thing. I am sick of recharging the batteries already.
    The duracell batteries are excellent batteries. They perform just as good as the ones that came with the MFLB. They are 2400 and are the exact size/diameter and fit perfectly as the ones that came with the MFLB. I have energizers, duracells, rayovacs and the MFLB battery. I have had dozens of AA batteries as I have a depth finder on my kayak and run 8 AA to power it for the last 10+ years. The Duracells are the same quality as the MF ones. There are only a handful of battery manufacturers like Johnson COntrols . Like car batteries they are almost all the same if you look at the specs and performance of batteries. you need a 2400 or better battery for the MFLB.

If my MFLB isn't damaged or malfunctioning then it just doesn't perform very well. I've had it for a while now. It just doesn't get me good vapes and that is the point. I get two or three hits at best and then it is like tasting horrible and I get no vape. I'm ready to chuck it.

6. paytonpenn

paytonpenn Level 30 Nature/Healer

Did you combust in it already? I find a combusted box requires a longer heatup and performs extremely poor in comparison to a new box.

EDIT:
    Nevermind, read your earlier posts.

I personally think you're going to want a new box if the combustion was that bad. I don't find the taste to really go away and it definitely just isn't as great as the MFLB is.

7. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Your call. If you're not getting what you want you should fix that. You didn't answer my question: Is this your first/only vape? That can be a huge factor. If not, how does it compare to your other vapes? What are they?

I'm concerned that it's not meeting your expectations not so much because it's not doing what it's designed to do but because those expectations are based on 'huge clouds'. Not a strong suit for MFLB.

Put another way, if it got hot enough to make vapor (even hot enough to combust at one point) it generates enough heat, it's up to the user to manage that meager amount of heat effectively to make vapor. It's entirely possible to flatten a good battery in a good MFLB and never make any vapor through poor technique. There are vapes (like Solo and Ascent for instance) that are easier to use in a casual manner. You might consider one like that?

You can, of course, get another one, but IMO it's not going to be much different from what you have. Your call.

Good luck.

OF

axakal, TanukiCoast and KidFated. like this.
  8. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Member

Yes this is my first vape. I want to like it. There are some good things I like about. The initial taste of the first 2 hits is nice but after that it turns to mud fast. I do not care about huge clouds. I am not after anything other than effects. But When I first got it I was getting good hits and good vape. I was getting perfect hits I would say. Not huge clouds but some light smoke expelled and a good strong hit. Now I get zilch after 2-3 draws and ten nasty taste. I will try and post pics soon and then you can see my trench and tell me what you think.

I fully combusted in it. It scorched the trench badly. I was able to clean it with iso. But It is heavily bronzed. Pretty dark. It does seem to run differently from when I first got it and not as good. I will give you guys some pics very soon. I think that would be best. I need someone to take a look at this and tell me if it is cooked.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  9. paytonpenn

paytonpenn Level 30 Nature/Healer

I've seen too many MFLBs combusted in, they just aren't going to be the expected performance and result in a overall poor experience for the user. I feel your MFLB is fine but it's got foul flavors in it and from my experience they aren't going to be completely removed. It also is now going to require more heating to perform like before. But I am interested in this pic.

10. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Member

I grind in a chromium crusher than through the finishing grinder which brings it to a coarsness between salt and freshly ground pepper. This is what it looks like after 3-4 draws. It begins to taste like crap. It is still greenish and I know there is still thc left in it but it begins to taste gross. How many draws do you guys get off a trench? If I smoked a trench I would be very baked. I would say smoking a trench would be about 8-10 good hits. A trench packs my small bowl. That would get me ripped up twice easily. Now one trench barely gets me much.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the gaps in the corners of the first pic and the bronze of the trench screen in the next pic..Actually this is the corner with the gaps being smaller than on the other side. The side with the draw hole has even bigger gaps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KidFated. likes this.
  11. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Ah, so! I think a lot of this might be tied up right there. Blazing experience is not a plus here, you need a clean break from blazing (I'd say 10 days on average? Two weeks?) to 'get into vaping'. Two weeks with no cheating. Honest. Anyone disagree?

Then you get the effects you want (at least the ones available). I get it you're after effects, but everything you describe is in blazing terms (taste, density, and so on).

Learning vaping and the use of MFLB at the same time is a handful. Once you get used to vaping as a technique, learning new vapes is easy. IMO that's a necessary (and usually separate) step.

Boxes do then to 'cool off', but as long as they heat reasonably well (and it sounds like yours does) good technique will extract the THC and the owner will get full effect. If it goes in with the load and doesn't come out in ABV it came out as vapor.

It's worth seeing your photos, there could be something there, but from the descriptions it sure sounds like it. A new box might help some, but I don't think it's the solution to any hardware problem. At least not a disqualifying problem.

OF

12. caves

caves Living the vape life

Those images aren't working. Go to imgur.com and upload them there. You don't even have to set up an account if you don't want to.
    It's tough to say what's causing your issues (especially without pictures), but technique is a huge factor.
    Did you start off with the batteries that came with it? You said you were getting good effects early on but now things aren't working out. Something must have changed since then. Do you have any more information on those Duracell batteries you have? The launch box can be more picky than you'd imagine. If you're getting little production the first thing I'd consider is your batteries. Different batteries will also require a different technique. Cleaning the box with iso is a delicate procedure as well. How exactly did you clean your box after combusting in it? The most you ever want to do is gently swab the screen with a q-tip damp with iso. If you used too much and it soaked into the wood that may be causing the bad taste you're experiencing.

Vaping is also a much different high than smoking. If you're expecting to feel the same way you would after combusting in a pipe or bong, you're going to have to alter your expectations. Vape highs (especially from the MFLB) tend to be lighter and more cerebral than smoking highs. You won't get couchlock in nearly the same way. Like OF said, you might need a little bit of a break from smoking to really appreciate vaping to its full extent.

I personally get anywhere from 20-30 hits out of a trench (depending on how full it is, how long my draws are, how dry the material is, etc), and it'll only start to taste wonky towards the end. If you're truly not satisfied, send Magic-Flight an email and talk to them about it. They'll take care of you.

13. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Member

Here's some more pics. You can see the gap on the sides. This is the draw side. On the left side it is separating and curling but it's hard to see..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. KidFated.

KidFated. Watch your pawking metaws.

Those folds in the screen are normal. Your box looks miles better than a lot of the ones I've seen.. I'd say you need better batteries or technique. The flavor will change through out the load.

axakal, TanukiCoast, OF and 1 other person like this.
  15. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Member

Are you unable to see any pics? I uploaded them to photobucket and I see them all?
    There is no noticeable difference in performance between the batterries that came with the unit and the duracells. I thought I explained that. The duracells are excellent batteries. I gently cleaned the screen wit iso with a q tip. I brush it lightly. Nothing I have done has caused the screen to come apart. When I heat the screen for 40-50 seconds to heat it up the screen metal expands and contracts. I just noticed this happening. SO when I use this thing when it heats up the gap opens and contracts and is growing larger. I am going to junk this box and get a new one. This should work correctly. I press in the battery and take long slow draws for about 30 seconds. I sip it and don't let it get hot. What more should I have to do? You guys get 20 hits? I barely get 3-4 and then it tastes like poison. It's going in the garbage.

I have two batteries that came with the unit! You're telling me they aren't any good? I have to buy special batteries?

16. KidFated.

KidFated. Watch your pawking metaws.

What I meant by that, is the batteries get worn out, some more so than others. I have thrown a few away because they weren't with keeping around. I'm pretty sure I still have 2 from my original box that are still kickin, others haven't lasted nearly as long.

Do you have the power adapter?

TanukiCoast and OF like this.
  17. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Member

Also I have been vaping using this thing for over a month. I just recently back slid after being disappointed for the last week with it. I haven't smoked much. A few hits here and there the last week or so but prior to that I was just trying this thing out being all new and I was excited about it. It kinda works but doesn't seem to work as good as I thought it would. I will get a new one and see how that one does before I buy the pa or any more crap for this thing. PA is like $70. Duracells or Energizer or Rayovac are $10. Car power outlet for my 1-hour charger $25. Cha-ching....there goes my money.

No pa. I was going to get it but now I am holding off. I just got this thing it is about a month and a half old. The batteries are not bad. the batteries are fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  18. caves

caves Living the vape life

Sorry to ask so many questions, but for what reason are you heating the screen for 40-50 seconds? You shouldn't need to do that at all. You're using the box starting from a "cold" state, right? And metal does expand and contract with heat, that's not a big deal.
    Please don't think I'm being pushy, it's not my intent. I'd like to figure out what's wrong.

TanukiCoast, Quetzalcoatl and OF like this.
  19. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Member

The guy who does they videos for MF and others have said to clean the screen gently with iso. Then they suggest heating the screen for a short length of time.

OF likes this.
  20. Quetzalcoatl

Yeah but that should be like 10 second pulses max? Your batteries may be "new to you" but that doesn't mean they maybe haven't been sitting around for a while.

If you're confident that your technique is solid, and your material is "up to par" (meaning it's ground fine, dried out properly, and isn't 'brick weed'), then either it's your LB that's broken or the batteries that need to be replaced. Shouldn't be more than $7 for a pair. If it turns out to be the box, that's under warranty.

From a trench of finely ground material, filled up to right below the rails, I can get 20+ hits out of it, and more than just the first 3 or 4 taste good. There's no need to keep the power on for a minute or anything.

I'm not sure what the issue is though. Are you not getting satisfying vapor? If you want to blow big boy clouds on demand continually without worrying about combusting anything then the MFLB isn't going to do it as easily and quickly as, say, the Arizer Solo or the Indica :shrug: The LB is geared towards stealth and on-demand vaping. Everything comes with its drawbacks.

axakal, caves, TanukiCoast and 2 others like this.
  21. OF

OF Well-Known Member

True enough, but you have to be extremely careful with that ISO. Under no conditions let it contact the wood. Even a little spray. A barely damp swab, perhaps, and great care to not put any pressure on the mesh. Also be real careful of it around the lid, ISO can attack Acrylic plastic.

But in a way, solvents are not a good way to deal with build up since all it can really do is spread it around more. The amount used in the video no doubt 'painted' the back side of the mesh (which was clean) in a spot where following swabs can't hope to clear it away. As long as it's just condensates, it's probably better to do a dry burn or two. Just evaporate it off again. No solvents.

The best plan is, however, not building up deposits in the first place of course. For this keep your bud very dry going in and what little deposits do form will be easy to burn off. It seems it's the 'steaming' of the bud that makes it stick. If it goes in dry, and the screen is clean, shaking keeps it in play.

It's also worth noting these are unprotected NiMH cells. Where a NiCd might survive a deep discharge, a single 'run it into the mud' adventure (taking it below 1.0 Volts or so) will irreparably damage them. When they get weak, swap them out and recharge if you love them.

OF

22. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Member

In the video the kid says to hold the battery in for for 40-60 seconds. I have medical grade herb. I grind it with the finishing grinder. It is perfect grind slightly finer than pepper. the batteries are brand new. I got two batteries with the MFLB. I also bought 4 duracell. I don't want to blow clouds. I have said that. I just want the thing to deliver.

23. Quetzalcoatl

What about technique? You asked a page back about how hot the vapor should be. It's kind of hard to accurately describe how warm I like my vapor, you know? I personally like a single slow long draw as opposed to doing the "micro-puffing" method. It helps me gauge the vapor temperature in real time instead of pulsing it. I like it warmer as opposed to cooler, but not so close that I combust. If you draw too fast, the screen doesn't reach vaporizing temperature and not much happens, but too slow and it keeps increasing until it combusts. The little curling of the corners doesn't affect performance in my experience, it's just another little spot to (carefully) clean out when the time comes. By the way, the change of color on the screen from the combustion doesn't do anything negative. It's just from being subjected to the combustion. Call it a beauty mark?

All that being said there isn't any one specific vaporizer that does it all for everyone. Maybe this one's not for you? Have you had any good sessions with it so far? Ignoring the change of taste for a second, are you getting where you want to go at all? The taste thing happens with all vaporizers, but happens faster with conduction vaporizers like this one.

TanukiCoast, KidFated. and OF like this.
  24. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

I may have missed something, but which video are you speaking of? I've never heard of someone holding the battery in for anywhere near that long.

:peace:

25. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Excellent point! It's not a 'one size fits all' deal at all. While some vapes are easier/quicker than others for most folks to get good results out of, not even the vaulted Volcano is a slam dunk. Even well intentioned and common advice is no more than a guide here.

And I think this extends a LONG way into technique advice. 3 of us can pick up a never before seen vape and with no trouble at all get 5 or more 'best' ways in short order. If it's a good vape, though, the chances of a good technique for any individual is high I think. In a way that's the measure of a good/great vape?

OF

Vitolo, TanukiCoast and KidFated. like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors