1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Magic-Flight Box

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by magicflight, May 16, 2009.

1. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Yes, it's normal. It's a spring, and loosens up a bit on it's own. It varies with battery types, and some of those are out of round enough that they fit better 'clocked' around some from the tightest spot.

If they don't start out on the tight side, you can end up with one that's too loose (used to be more common), which doesn't get better 'on it's own'.

Go ahead and enjoy it. Good karma from the gift is coming your way.

OF

2. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Sincerely given Launch Boxes have their work cut out for them.... for it is a habit a launch Box has trouble breaking.
    The darned boxes love the joy so much, that once on their journey they subtly influence owners to continue the trend, and "pass me on again, my friend".
    It is not unusual for a box to land in 4th or 5th hands.

3. kente777

kente777 Member

Yeah, the only problem is I have to use my teeth to pull the battery out. And that's not easy either.

No, this is not even close to being normal.

4. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl SPACE GOD

Wrap rubber bands around the batteries to get a better grip. My mouth hurts just thinking about that... It will loosen up with time.

axakal, nopartofme, RUDE BOY and 2 others like this.
  5. Amblacalma

Amblacalma Member

Completely agree with that, I bought a 2n hand MFLB for a friend (I have the Solo) and yesterday when I'm going to give it to him he says "No thanks, I asked for it for you".
    Now, finally, I get a little Box and I'm so happy :)

axakal, Vitolo, OF and 2 others like this.
  6. KidFated.

KidFated. Good Things Come To Those Who Chill

I've tried soooo many portables but this little guy is what I always come back to.

I don't know if I'll ever find a portable to take it's place..

2 Paces, axakal, Vitolo and 2 others like this.
  7. rekrab

rekrab Well-Known Member

couldnt agree more @KidFated. i was thinking the other day like holy shit, this thing is so fucking small and im just vaping basically in the palm of my hand. still blowin clouds.

2 Paces, axakal, Vitolo and 1 other person like this.
  8. kente777

kente777 Member

It will not loosen up in time if the spring is seriously misaligned. I tried using a flathead screwdriver to move it, but to no avail.

I will process this as a warranty. When I get my new one, I will be glad to sell this at a fantastic price (serial # scratched off). Then someone here can struggle with it and "loosen it up in time."

A new product should not be like this. Obviously, this was not inspected prior to shipment.

No worries though. I am sure MF will stand by their product. I just hate being without my precious box. I feel naked.

Peace

9. Vicki

Vicki The Bionic Woman

You really shouldn't sell it after MF has done a warranty on it.

10. kente777

kente777 Member

Thanks, wasn't aware of the policy. Don't want to undermine a great company.

axakal and Vicki like this.
  11. Rusty778

Rusty778 Getting Lost

Look carefully at the battery insertion hole. I find that on most boxes, the spring does not protrude evenly all the way around on the inside. This means that the spring + wood is what is crating a contact. Rather than modifying the spring, consider sanding away a small amount of wood. One of my boxes was far too tight, and this remedied it immediately.

12. kente777

kente777 Member

After I get my replacement, I will give that a try if the company doesn't want me to ship it back.

I appreciate the advice, I really do, but I should not have to shave wood on a new product to get it to work. In my opinion this is poor QC, and I will let the company know.

I love Magic-flight. I love their product, their philosophy, their attitude, and their spirituality! However, I recommend they check their product first before putting it in a box for shipment especially for something that seems to happen semi-frequently.

13. OF

OF Well-Known Member

Actually, it's more a matter of ethics I think? Selling the unit you had replaced would not be legal no matter, it doesn't belong to you any longer.

And practicality. MF will ask for a photo showing you've destroyed the screen section. I guess too many dishonest folks resold defective boxes (which sure doesn't help their 'bottom line')?

By all means do point out what you see as their shortcomings. Their perspective might not be the same, however.

Good luck with it.

OF

14. kente777

kente777 Member

I'll let you guys know if their perspective is not mine.

I've only owned 2 so far. One great; the other defective. 1 for 2 might be good in baseball, but.... Anyway, I just ordered a new Cherry box so I'm hoping it'll be 2 for 3 on the positive side.

OF likes this.
  15. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v3.17 (ticking) Staff Member

Mentioning that you plan to sell something is against our rules:
    • No selling or soliciting items on the forum. The only exception is the Classifieds section, which is the only public area on the forum where you can mention that you have (or may have) items for sale or trade. It is also the only public area where you can request to buy items. If you would like to direct a member to a classified ad please use the private conversation system.
    Note the underlined part. This is an easy mistake to make, so you're excused this time—but now you know. As others have pointed out, your plan was both unethical and illegal anyway.

Vicki and OF like this.
  16. Rusty778

Rusty778 Getting Lost

Keep in mind that MF has to allow for different diameters of battery tolerances, if the fit is not "snug" no power will flow through the screen. For instance, the old PowerEx's that used to ship with the box are slightly larger then the new glyph batteries, and both in my opinion are larger than the power adapter's dummy battery body. So every box needs to accommodate a wide variety of sizes, better to be a little too small, and remain functional, then to be too large and not work at all. :2c:

Quetzalcoatl and OF like this.
  17. the_cascadian

the_cascadian Well-Known Member

here's a method i like to use when my lungs are tired of slowly pulling on the box like it's a too-frozen milkshake through a straw: open the lid, crank the pa on 100%, and draw. works like a charm!

axakal likes this.
  18. kente777

kente777 Member

I do appreciate you bringing this up, and I seem to remember reading that from Magic Flight, though I had forgotten. I was actually half joking since I was told to force something that would not go with a prophetic word that "it will loosen up."

This is well beyond snug. Different tolerances? Sure. But you would think the tolerance would center on their own gryphon batteries. I'm afraid I'll bust the battery that's how tight it is...or bust my teeth trying to pull it out. Lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  19. KidFated.

KidFated. Good Things Come To Those Who Chill

I've had over 10 different boxes through my hands, and zero had any issues.

Hell, I've sent out bad parts by mistake, it happens. What matters is they will always take care of their customer no matter what.

Vitolo, nopartofme, OF and 1 other person like this.
  20. kente777

kente777 Member

I agree. I had a bad power adapter and they took care of it. Great process!

I just don't like the fact that I cannot use a product that I purchased and bought as a back-up, only to find when I need it, it's not up to standards.

This problem seems to be common. Maybe some units will "loosen up" over time, but as often as this seems to be happening, it tells me their QC process is not that great.

This box, as is, should have never left the factory.

21. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

Kente777 If you can fit the battery through the ring now even if its a little tough to pull out to do for now it will loosen up after a dozen or two trenches. One of my maple boxes was like yours even to the point of the pushback ring being useless at first( battery remaining engaged until pullin it) now it's fine.

Use that box enough to break it in for goodness sake, it's brand new.

AlteredLvlOfConsciousness and OF like this.
  22. pakalolo

The contact coil is a heavy gauge wire that should barely protrude into the battery hole, and then only in one place. It should be easy to see exactly where by carefully examining the coil inside the battery hole. There'll be a place that has obviously more wear than the rest of the ring; that is the contact point. From your description, this part of the coil is protruding too far. You can use this information to help you decide how to shift the coil. The slightest of nudges should be enough. If you actually do move the coil, it's possible that you'll over-correct and push the contact point back so far that it won't be a contact point anymore. On the other hand, shifting the coil like that could easily bring another contact point into play.

I've read this thread from beginning to end (more than once) and I don't think this is a common problem at all. It's not unique but it certainly isn't common.

OF and RUDE BOY like this.
  23. kente777

kente777 Member

Sigh. I've had a new Magic Flight box before. And it's not a "little tough" either.

"Not unique, but it certainly isn't common."

I'll accept that, though I found 2 instances on other forums describing the exact problem.

And thank you for "listening" to my words and giving me good advice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  24. pakalolo

You're welcome. I just merged your last two posts. (Again. ;))

There probably more MFLBs out there than any other vapourizer, so it's not surprising that you found a couple of other examples.

OF likes this.
  25. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

We did "Listen" and share our experiences and what worked for us. Go ahead and warranty your box if you desire no one here is stopping you.

OF and Vicki like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors