1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Magic-Flight Box

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by magicflight, May 16, 2009.

1. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v3.17 (ticking) Staff Member

I wonder if anyone besides stoners buy those little vials...

My load is just over half of that, .07g. I don't pre-measure because I don't need to carry more than one trench at a time. Even if I used your load size though, you could get it all in a shortie, so I'm curious why you use the larger vials.

KidFated. and OF like this.
  2. OF

OF Well-Known Member

It's good to be able to shake it up. It gets hung up in the 5/8 Dram size sometimes. I've done it when getting maximum loading density is important, but find that a two battery holder with a battery and second load is scarcely more trouble than capping the battery is and twice the THC. Very 'pocket friendly'. I can count on two trenches from a charge if I'm reasonable about it, but 3 isn't going to happen for me. Going to a four cell box adds a third trench to the deal and removes the 'be careful' factor, since 3 trenches on two batteries is 'in the bag'.

Yeah, it takes a partaker to get this into such a simple deal, but it's a simple system that gives predictable results.....and is kinda fun.

OF

RUDE BOY and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  3. Tater24

Tater24 MFLBaked

Hello everyone,

I had a quick question. I have 4 glyph batteries that I cycle through one at a time. I'll grab one, use it, stick it back on my MH-C9000 charger, and then pick up the next one in the line. For the past 6 months or so, this has worked well for me, however, I noticed a white build up with a very slight green tinge on one of the batteries. The build up is near the positive end, is about 1/4 inch in diameter, and has no noticeable smell. It also has a slightly rough texture. Is this build up dangerous? Is my battery still usable, and if so, is there a recommended way to clean it? Thanks for your insight.

-Cam

4. al bundy

al bundy Vaporist

Do you let the batteries cool first before recharging?

Tater24 likes this.
  5. CentiZen

CentiZen Evil Genius in Training Accessory Maker

Sounds just like general corrosion. See if you can get some Naval Jelly at your local hardware store and apply it the spot. It's not a reason to dispose of the battery, if it still works through the corrosion. Do you live in a particularly humid area?

Tater24 and poonman like this.
  6. Tater24

Tater24 MFLBaked

al bundy: Yes. After I finish a trench, the battery usually sits in my MFLB until I'm ready to load another trench.

CentiZen: Will the Naval Jelly clean the corrosion? Or is it to stop it from spreading, similar to applying Vaseline to car battery terminals? I live in Vermont. It can get slightly humid in the summer, but not really. If the battery is still safe to use, that's great! But I'd really like to clean it for my own peace of mind. I've tried wiping it with a damp paper towel, but I didn't want to go any further without seeking advice.

7. pakalolo

Wait wait, you can get jelly from navels? All I ever get from mine is lint.

8. CentiZen

CentiZen Evil Genius in Training Accessory Maker

It's an all purpose rust/corrosion remover, so what it does it dissolve the corroded metal away while coating the top of it in an oxide resistant layer to prevent further spread.

Tater24, poonman and Oscar_Milde like this.
  9. Tater24

Tater24 MFLBaked

I'll check my hardware store after work! Thanks, I'm glad I can keep this battery.

10. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Just wondering how often/how many times have you lot combusted in your LB?

I've done it 4 times but only recently started doing it, getting fonder of high temps and whoops. Now I remember seeing a guys box a few pages back where he'd actually been using it like an electric pipe so I'm sure the box can take the abuse but how bad is it for A. the box and B. my health(!).

11. pakalolo

I've lost count of how many times. It's actually not that many and the reason I've lost count is that they're all a long time ago. I've never reached combustion accidentally while hitting it, and since I got a PA I don't even consider that to be a risk. Almost all of my combustion incidents have been deliberate for research purposes. The three or four accidents have all been "hot pockets", where I've put it in my pocket with the battery inserted. I have an old LB without the pushback ring, so...

It's not good for the LB but it isn't that bad either. The taste is nasty and stays for a few trenches but it does go away. As far as your health is concerned, it's no worse than combusting in a pipe or a joint.

12. sydnee

sydnee Vaporus Majorus

Why do the boxes start to run cool after a while?

13. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

They get residue deposited on the rods that support the screen. Occasional cleaning helps maintain performance.

14. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I am in love with the power adapter 2.0. This thing is AMAZING. With the PA my launch box becomes a vapor beast. I love it! If you don't have one get one.

One problem I did have with the banana section that is chrome plated. The chrome was delaminating off of the plug leaving flakes of chrome all over in my launch box's battery hole (shitty). I decided to scrape all the chrome off. It is much better but I have contacted Magic-flight about this. Almost perfect but not quite. After I removed the flaky chrome I realized that the warranty may be fucked. At least it is working 100% so I don't think I will worry about it — made worst mistakes before LMAO.

15. Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl SPACE GOD 宇宙

I haven't had any flaking and have used the PA on more than one box. I'll look closely again in a bit and update this post.

Edit: I see no noticeable chipping or flaking. Just some normal wear from the battery o-ring on the plug.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  16. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. I looked and sure enough a residue build-up. Gone!

Vitolo and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  17. llamaman001

llamaman001 Well-Known Member

how do yall go about cleaning your trench? I hate to say it but Ive never done it. I only scrape off the build up every once in a while with a razor very carefully

18. axakal

axakal Well-Known Member

funny thing, on some other threads people said, that once you combusted in the box, the taste is ruined for ever since the wood acquires the burned tast. it didn't correspond with my personal experience, though. well, i thouht, i was just ignoring the obvious because of my love for the box. it's good to hear the confirmation from an expert.

davesmith and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  19. mellowman

mellowman Member

Coming up on two years with my Magic Flight!

Recently, I have noticed that the glass stem doesn't stay in well. It doesn't fall out just from turning the box upside down, but the hole has widened over time. I frequently find myself scurrying around the floor trying to locate it (this is especially annoying when I'm outdoors and it drops in the grass or in a pile of leaves). Also, when I'm vaping, it moves around, which is slightly distracting when trying to take a hit.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any solutions?

20. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I have gotten a PA for about a dozen local patients.
    The original PA never flaked...
    Out of 5 new "banana plug" types one has flaked some chrome (just a small amount).
    It is a result of the thinner, bulging, more flexible strips of metal that are made that way to keep the battery surrogate snugly in place. Since they are made to "flex".. the chrome plating gets a chance to crack after extreme use... as chrome is less malleable than the metal that is plated with the chromium.

steama, OF, Oscar_Milde and 1 other person like this.
  21. syrupy

syrupy fumed

Sorry haven't had my LB long enough to experience that!

22. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

My solution to the loose fitting stem, would be to use a small piece of shrink tubing.
    Here is a picture of some shrink tube I got from FV...
    and a few stems that I have placed pieces on.
    A small section at the tip heated with a lighter will be snug and tight.
    It also will solve the loose stem issue.
    (teflon tape works also)
    [​IMG]

23. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Do you think removing the chromium plating would impact performance on way or the other? I felt that since it was loose it was better to remove it? I really don't have a clue.

OF likes this.
  24. OF

OF Well-Known Member

No, I don't. I'd keep an eye out for corrosion, but I wouldn't expect to notice a performance change.

OF

Vitolo, steama and Quetzalcoatl like this.
  25. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Great, that's a relief.
    Thx OF

OF likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors