• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The "stock" ones are actually quite good these days. They made them for the sole purpose of vaping herb in the box. No need to look for 'better' ones anymore IMHO.

:peace:

Stu,
Reactions: Vicki

axakal

and someone also tries to make a solar cell working.

if you got the new ones, there seems to be nothing better than them out there.

Are there better batteries that I should invest in, rather than keeping the stock ones?

sorry for the back to back post. where was the delete button again?

mod note: Thanks for noticing. Two posts merged.

axakal,
Reactions: OF

OF

Yes. I doesn't work well on the go. You could buy a generator to power the PA, but batteries are probably more convenient.

Boy, isn't that just like Stu? Pick on the new guy..... Only Stu would give a guy a bad time about toting a generator along to run his vape while completely ignoring the obvious solution (a very long extension cord).

Guys with enough experience know to not take him seriously, of course.

"Classic Stu" if you asked me.

OF made a battery pack to connect to the PA to power it.

Guilty. 3 cell battery of 18650s. About the size of a deck of cards, works GREAT! Gives a couple hours of run time.....say what you'd get from half a shoebox of charged MLFB batteries?

It works for other vapes that want 12 VDC as well. I originally used it to power up my PD. Fun part is MFLB uses about twice the power as PD or other similar stem vapes do sitting idle waiting for you. MFLB is so frugal......

Fits great in a coat pocket. At one point I was taking the PD in the other pocket.....

and someone also tries to make a solar cell working.

What you mean 'tries'? Guilty there too. I used to vape in the garden on sun power (kind of a fun idea, IMO). To be practical you need a battery to store energy before you vape (or the panel gets real big and real expensive fast and you need full sun happening in real time. I used a small lead acid gel battery (I left it there), other, lighter batteries would work. Not overly practical, but fun and effective.

The panel was one of those $20 'solar charger' panels to keep the car, boat or RV battery topped up in storage. No, is, I still have it, it's just hiding inside now.....it's a coward.

if you got the new ones, there seems to be nothing better than them out there.

sorry for the back to back post. where was the delete button again?

Exactly right. Like TV products, if there was a better battery for the job out there, 'the factory' would ship it. MFLB not only provided the very best battery for most users, but has gone the extra step to have even better custom batteries made for them. I was a Beta Tester, they are super no doubt about it.

Sorry, Axakal, no delete button. Would you trust us? The drill is to 'report yourself' using the 'Report' tab and the nice Mods will send the extra post to post heaven.

OF

vii

Ya , I have the same problem ,
Plus mine seems to get really hot to hold/touch after only a trench of 4 or 5 hits .

I may want to try that paper clip adjustment on the bottom first before activating
my warranty .

Here's one thing I've learnt from using the PA .
It's help me master using the batteries now where I'm no longer afraid to combust ....ever .
O I still combust every now and then ....I'm just not afraid ....hehe .
I had the exact same problem with the overheating. It cause me to stop using it. I just did a warranty claim for that reasons. The whole process took about three weeks for me.

vii,

RTA

Just a few questions for you OF.

Did you use an inverter in your solar setup or did you hook up the car adapter with the battery and what was the spec of your battery.

I too am creating a solar system to use with my new power adapter. I have a nice 20 W solar panel.

morninglight

The continued adventures of Magic-Flight's "The Finishing Grinder"…
(It is apparently the only product in their store that is worthy of an article in the title, see for yourself! :smug:)

It turns out that, yes, it could! I wasn't confident at first that it would do much, as the material was fine enough that some did fall through immediately after placing it into the grinder. However, I found that what did remain responded well to the following treatment:
  1. Crush, via a simple vertical pressing action using the top half of TFG. The dryness of the ABV means this does something!
  2. Macerate, by twisting while pressing firmly. If crushing didn't help it enough, that will do the trick and deposit it into the trench.
I carefully twisted and pulled off the base of the grinder from the Launch Box (letting it pop off wildly is not fun…) and was shocked! There was a healthy dusting of very fine material across the ABV that had fallen straight through. Seemed to me to be as fine as what might come out of a coffee grinder.

Now, I'll never argue that The Finishing Grinder could ever match a coffee grinder in thoroughness. But, I find that this little grinder can really perform if you are looking for a low-tech, electron-less, use-your-hands experience. It can easily be used "in the field" with some handy vials like OF recommended not long ago in this thread, and it is very easy to brush clean! It even has what I think of as a sort-of 'portable kief catcher' built into the interior shape of the wood under the grinding plate, which can be tapped/brushed out into your trench easily. And, I love things carved from wood.

I have a medium sized mendo mulcher and find it WAY too compact for my hands. Any males with larger hands have issues using TFG? I'm thinking about buying the TFG and a medium sized SCS cause I just can't deal with my mendo much longer.. lol​

b0

Cloudy...
I have a medium sized mendo mulcher and find it WAY too compact for my hands. Any males with larger hands have issues using TFG? I'm thinking about buying the TFG and a medium sized SCS cause I just can't deal with my mendo much longer.. lol​

Haven't tried the TFG, but you will love the SCS. I have a red 4pc SCS and it's perfect. Usually I regrind the meds after it with the help of scissors if they are for the MFLB but for everything else the SCS "shreds" really well.

b0,

OF

Did you use an inverter in your solar setup or did you hook up the car adapter with the battery and what was the spec of your battery.

I too am creating a solar system to use with my new power adapter. I have a nice 20 W solar panel.

No inverter, although my largest panel needs a charge controller, which you might too. You need to protect stuff from overvoltage. At 20 Watts a big enough battery (a few dozen Ah at least) will work instead of the controller, but you might want to check things out before you risk your PA. Otherwise I just plugged 12 Volts into the PA like the Wall Wort or car cord would (I made the cable). Like on my battery pack above, in fact for a while it was the same cable.

An inverter will cost you power you're paying dearly for, I"d avoid it.

I used two different batteries, a 12 Ah one in the end when the smaller went flat on me after a few dark days and lots of use. The rule of thumb in such systems is to store at least 3 'sun days' IIRC?

A lot of year ago I ran a similar system using a motorcycle battery from Sears (larger gel batteries weren't common then....don't even ask about solar panels then.......), if you're not moving it around a lot, another thing worth looking into?

BTW, next time you might consider deleting unnecessary text and all the photos in stuff you quote. Not only is it considered good manners to not subject others to a repeat of one of my rambling posts so soon after they've been subjected to it and saves bandwidth and all that (portable guys love that part), but it's also in the rules......

I like mine, but it can be a pain sometimes. Especially if the goods are wet or I overlaod it (go figure....). How about one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P15LX0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A368LE113Q5PAL

Drop your bud in, push the button, let the gadget do all the work? I like mine.

OF

OF,

morninglight

Haven't tried the TFG, but you will love the SCS. I have a red 4pc SCS and it's perfect. Usually I regrind the meds after it with the help of scissors if they are for the MFLB but for everything else the SCS "shreds" really well.

Cool. Yeah still debating between a 4pc and a 2pc. SCS seems to be all the rage and for the right reasons.

I like mine, but it can be a pain sometimes. Especially if the goods are wet or I overlaod it (go figure....). How about one of these?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P15LX0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A368LE113Q5PAL

Drop your bud in, push the button, let the gadget do all the work? I like mine.
OF

The reviews of that particular item don't inspire me to make the purchase but I'll take a look around. Hadn't really thought about a smaller electrical device/grinder.

morninglight,

OF

The reviews of that particular item don't inspire me to make the purchase but I'll take a look around. Hadn't really thought about a smaller electrical device/grinder.

You're call. Like I said, I like mine and think it does a good job (or I wouldn't recommend it). After trying half a dozen hand grinders (including the very models you cite) I came to understand it's all a compromise against physical issues which are typically variable (good days and bad) and not getting any better over time. And the price is cheap enough to pitch if it doesn't work out

Again, your call. Good luck with it.

OF

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
I have a medium sized mendo mulcher and find it WAY too compact for my hands. Any males with larger hands have issues using TFG? I'm thinking about buying the TFG and a medium sized SCS cause I just can't deal with my mendo much longer.. lol
Male with large hands here, actually. I own a two inch Mendo "vape grinder" as well, which I think is .25" smaller than the standard medium model? I haven't had as much trouble with it as it seems you have, but then again I've had lower than usual supply lately and so I haven't used it as much as I'd like. I have had my eyes on a large two piece SCS thanks to the nuts here at FC, but it is hard to justify after I've already spent $80 between the Mendo and TFG :ko:

As for dealing with the size of TFG, it is small… You need to hold it and the box in a certain way to maximize twist-ability and stability. Like OF has said, you'll have trouble with TFG if your herb isn't in optimal launch box condition already (very dry). If the size of the Mendo really bothers you that much, I'm leaning toward not recommending TFG.

It's hard for me to say that, though, because as you can see from my write-up and photo that you quoted, I really love the little thing. Fun to use, in my opinion. There's nothing like the soft "crunch" you hear when you press the grinder together with some superdry material inside. Then you really twist it while pressing, and all that dry crumbly stuff you mashed together is now being finely grated. That will get your magic flight off to a top start. Would you believe I actually missed TFG when I got a Cera as my second vaporizer. :lol: The diameter of the joining bit is juuust too big to fit in the Cera's bowl. I tried!

Following OF's advice here will certainly get you wonderfully ground bud; I claim no advantage in grind consistency over a coffee grinder. Personally, I love the experience of breaking apart new bud for drying, tossing it in the Mendo after it's dried a bit, and using TFG as the final pit stop before it gets to rest in the trench. The whole process feels very earthy and hands on, and it works perfect. I've become so accustomed to the process that it would feel strange for me to incorporate an electric grinder at this point. As long as you're not gunking it up with moist flowers, it's simple to brush clean as well. I err on the side of clean-freak, so the nooks and crannies of a coffee grinder bother me– in theory. I don't own one.

Hope I could help a little, sorry I don't have a clear answer…

nopartofme

One further point that came to mind on keeping herb dry for the finishing grinder. When I get a new batch, it's never in prime launch box condition. I'm usually too impatient and strapped for herb to wait for it all to dry out before I use it, so for my first several trenches I omit the finishing grinder at first, going straight from the Mendo to the trench. But only for the first half of the trench! Halfway through, I dump it out into my hand and put it through the finishing grinder for the second half of the trench. The bud should be sufficiently drier at that point, and after grinding the second half then hits much better.

Many do this with their fingers, crumbling halfway through the trench, but the finishing grinder does the same thing better.

morninglight

One further point that came to mind on keeping herb dry for the finishing grinder. When I get a new batch, it's never in prime launch box condition. I'm usually too impatient and strapped for herb to wait for it all to dry out before I use it, so for my first several trenches I omit the finishing grinder at first, going straight from the Mendo to the trench. But only for the first half of the trench! Halfway through, I dump it out into my hand and put it through the finishing grinder for the second half of the trench. The bud should be sufficiently drier at that point, and after grinding the second half then hits much better.

Many do this with their fingers, crumbling halfway through the trench, but the finishing grinder does the same thing better.

The mendo works for me I just wish I could get a better grip/hold on it.. the double stack is quite appealing though. Despite the size of TFG, I may as well get it and check it out.. Really want to thank you for taking the time and replying today. Lots of good feedback.

nopartofme

The mendo works for me I just wish I could get a better grip/hold on it.. the double stack is quite appealing though. Despite the size of TFG, I may as well get it and check it out.. Really want to thank you for taking the time and replying today. Lots of good feedback.
Not a problem at all, I'm always happy to put my obsessive hobbies to some good use. I had not seen the mendo double stack before, that does look neat!

nopartofme,

mattstermh

So pushing the battery into the LB is what creates the vapor? So if I push it in, I see vapor, can I take my finger off and just inhale, then push back down again when I want it to refill with vapor?

That sounds more like convection than conduction style.

mattstermh,
Reactions: Vicki

nopartofme

So pushing the battery into the LB is what creates the vapor? So if I push it in, I see vapor, can I take my finger off and just inhale, then push back down again when I want it to refill with vapor?

That sounds more like convection than conduction style.
Pushing in the battery completes a circuit with the battery at one end and the screen that your herb is resting on at the other. The circuit causes the screen itself to heat rapidly, thus heating your herb by contact, or conduction. Convection heating requires the air to be heated separately from the herb and then brought across or through it.

You can just heat, watch for vapor, stop, inhale, and repeat if you like, but it's not the most efficient way of doing things. The optimal time to begin inhaling lightly is actually a little before the point where vapor is very noticeable in the trench, so with the extra heat you're using you run a high risk of overcooking some parts or at least cooking very unevenly. Optimal cooking in the launch box demands constant but light airflow and a good shake once in a while to bring new material in contact with the heating surface.

mattstermh

So basically I need to keep my finger pressed in and holding the battery down the entire time until the bowl is done?

mattstermh,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
So if I push it in, I see vapor, can I take my finger off and just inhale, then push back down again when I want it to refill with vapor.

THIS IS HOW TO USE IT, didn't mean ta yell at ya , Matt... In time your technique may vary but your above Question turned statement is the Basics. push Wait Inhale release , repeat as needed.

RUDE BOY,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Well, I'm impressed with usps again. Magic Flight shipped my pair of batteries Monday afternoon, and I received them today! I chose economy shipping, and it had to come all the way across the country too. :)

They are very strong! Just like the ones I got with my exotic cherry kit in February. :D

Top Bottom