1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Magic-Flight Box

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by magicflight, May 16, 2009.

1. RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY Space is the Place

Mine came with only an acrylic straw and acrylic down-stems, maybe because I didn't buy it directly from magic flight.

:shrug:

2. SpudBob

SpudBob Well-Known Member

Mine are acrylic too!

3. almost there

almost there Well-Known Member

U guys are correct, I went to the mflb site and all the straws are acrylic

His_Highness likes this.
  4. almost there

What is the general consensus on the Monocle edition? As of a year ago there was complaints of vapor leakage because there's gaps in the lid, has that issue been addressed? I really dig the look of the monocle but it wouldn't be worth it if it compromises the stealth factor. I wouldn't be using this on the daily but it seems like such a beautiful piece to add to the collection with that brassy vintage look.

Sorry for the double post Mods, please combine

Stoned Cold likes this.
  5. trailertrash

trailertrash New Member

Hi. First Post! Long time lurker and committed vaper here. I've used a MFLB almost exclusively for years and love it! I've got several LBs, the Monocle being my latest addition to the clan along with a PA. The PA rocks! I just wish I'd shelled out sooner for one instead of pratting about with batteries for years.
    Yes there is vapour leakage with the Monocle but a slight change in draw technique seems to stop this. A slow steady draw rather than repeated sips works for me. I mostly vape indoors with a PA so leakage isn't really an issue for me though.
    To be perfectly honest, I'm a bit disappointed with the Monocle. The lid looks and feels like thin stamped metal with a cheap coating. A tiny increase in gauge would improve things no end. The edges aren't sharp but they haven't been finished to the same standard as I've got used to with MFLBs. The lid doesn't open and close as easily or smoothly as the acrylic lid and after only a few trenches the lid's coating is already scratched off under the spring. Circular holes in the lid instead of slots and more of a bend on the very end of the spring would improve the action I think.
    There's also a problem using the finishing grinder because the Monocle's lid catch thingy (ball bearing?) has been moved to the middle and fouls the grinder in use creating a gap. Not a biggy, I'll get the Dremel to the edge of the grinder and cut a notch, but I shouldn't have to.
    The Monocle looks nice but for every day use I still prefer my bog-standard Maple with its acrylic lid

6. almost there

Wow, I can't express how grateful I am for that comprehensive and insight reply. You've answered all the little auxiliary concerns I had regarding finishing grinder and all, bravo. I'll see if I can find a laser engraved standard I fancy and if not I may just have to see if I can live with the little irritating details. It looks so cool, like a little invention someone made back in prohibition time

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  7. Few Minute Programming

Few Minute Programming I make videos

Hello everyone!

If this isn't allowed here feel free to take it down/ask me to delete. I haven't had the chance to use my MFLB in a long time in favor of the Dynavap M. However, I decided to make a video going over how amazing the Launch Box was at launch and the issues it has after 8 years.

Click to play YouTube Video

mod note: merged into appropriate thread

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  8. justcametomind

justcametomind IT'S TIME!

Nice video. 2 questions: Weren't Vaporgenies also available as a the time of MFLB was launched?
    What's the name of the high end vape that's mentioned at the beginning? Seems like it didn't age as well as MFLB did.

RUDE BOY likes this.
  9. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Shaman of The Pyramid of Orlin'Malah

It is the VM3 which judging from the reviews was very disappointing ,compared to their desktop model vm2 (black beauty !?)

10. Few Minute Programming

Few Minute Programming I make videos

As you would imagine, not many places have written about the history of vaporizers. I used this source http://www.vaporplants.com/portable-vaporizer-for-herbs-history for the timeline. According to this source, the vaporgenie was "first introduced in 2002".

The two vaporizers at the beginning were the Volatizer VM3 and IOLITE. The information I found regarding them were based off very old forum posts. The VM3 was apparently (did not own one) plagued with horrid battery life.

justcametomind and Jill NYC like this.
  11. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

I never thought I'd say this, but I really love the launch box. I had one laying around for a few years and I for whatever reason didn't pursue it intensively and the results were lukewarm due to inappropriate grinding. Properly ground and dried, the results are very nice! I might use it outside in my day to day without the stem and weather conditions would probably have little effect. The batteries have been sitting for a few years, they should be replaced, one battery crapped out after one load, but a good load.

I'm really glad I decided to revisit the launch box tonight. There's so much to like about this little simple thing. The conduction aspect is also very nice. I ordered their finishing grinder tonight with enthusiasm in cherry in tribute to the purple days but in the meantime I'm finishing the grind by politely pounding down with the back end of an Ego ecigarette battery. It's actually fine. Prior, the bud was ground in the space case and then allowed to sit for a few hours on a plate on top of the stereo receiver, on the warm part.

I find the technique very intuitive and it's versatile enough to try different things. My straw is acrylic also by the way. It's less breakable, it's good.

These are my first impressions. It's a different animal, I can't think of anything to compare it with except flavor wise the vapman. I really like it.

12. Dutch-Mic

Dutch-Mic Well-Known Member

I was on holidays and took the MFLB with me, because all my butane vapes aren't wind proof. Before I went on holidays I already loved the on demand hits, but thought the taste was average. But after spending a week with it I can get cool and nice tasting hits without any harshness. The manual states I should wait 3-5s sec and then draw. Maybe it's because my MFLB isn't used daily, but waiting 2 seconds works better in terms of taste.

In short: I love I can use it outdoors easily, the on demand hits, the taste, the versatility...but cleaning is a bit of a pain in the ass if you're a perfectionist :rolleyes:

13. vapirtoo

vapirtoo Well-Known Member

Be careful cleaning the screen . I lightly scrape the shoulders of the screen with my fingernail while it is being heated. Other than that I only burn it off using the power adapter.
    Took it out today at a park and really had a great session.

14. howie105

howie105 Well-Known Member

Its love and hate with the MFLB at times, it's still my primary on the move vape because I have sort of figured out how to get decent performance out of it most of the time. On the other hand its still an overpriced chunk of wood, battery operated, conduction vape that can either torch a load or produce zip unless you are being attentive, when you are lit.

Mad_Max and Dutch-Mic like this.
  15. SpudBob

Its GREAT once you learn the curve! Too bad they won't take a larger battery-18650! MF should make a "SUPER MFLB" with bigger batteries.

Dutch-Mic, Stoned Cold and AtomicPB like this.
  16. vapirtoo

Steep learning curve, but well worth it. New gold glyphs batteries really enhance the whole process.
    SpudBob is right; MF should upgrade their battery game. That would be a real game changer.
    They better do something or the market will pass them by. I love the company, and hope they
    can compete in this always changing vape market.

17. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

I started on the MFLB. I agree with the steep learning curve. But, because the herb is right in front of you, you learn a lot about vaping as a theory just from using it. It helps in understanding how all the other vapes work. If there was a vaping college, I think MFLB would be a first year requirement.

Mmmm....vaping college.

[​IMG]

18. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

yes it's up close and intimate and the user is the complete control apparatus. I have some great vaporizers and I feel that it's going to be awhile before i revert back to possibly the HI, another beloved gem in its own right.

it's amazing - i was able to get immediate replacement batteries down the block at a news stand that carried some vaporizers including the launch box (overpriced). I didn't see but i asked, "do you happen to have replacement batteries...?" The guy dug around and found a bag of two and I paid him (overpriced also). they carry some other good vaporizers like the silver surfer but it's way overpriced!

the high is rich and floaty, it's very nice.

The finishing grinder is on the way from amazon but in the meantime I'm getting good results just pulverizing the ground bud into salt like consistency. Drying your bud in advance is critical. This is not the case at least to this degree with other vaporizers so i overlooked this aspect initially.

I get that from the manufacturer's perspective, lesser cloud exhalations is a desirable thing and is incorporated into its design. again, to your point about vaporizer college.

it's really a gem.

vapirtoo, KidFated., AtomicPB and 3 others like this.
  19. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member Glass Blower

Haven't shown mine love in too long. Need some new batteries, didn't realise there was now GOLD glyphs! Snazzy.

vapirtoo, KidFated., jeffp and 2 others like this.
  20. jeffp

jeffp psychonaut

received my finishing grinder today and it's fantastic and ingenious. for drying, i find that the top lid to the launch box case is perfect to put a few buds in to rest on top of a warm surface... it picks up the heat pretty effectively and evenly and the buds are protected by the rims. Much better results this way than using a ceramic plate.

21. archangelz001

archangelz001 FIRE!!

I totally agree! I love my LB but haven't been giving it love lately. It was my first vape, and i did burn a load while learning to use it. I'd use it more, but I find the need to shake and hit the device between draws to be a slight negative, though sometimes I just have fun with it. I always use only 0.1 gm of perfectly cured bud, grind first with a Nano, then dump into the Finishing Grinder for a fluffy textured, very finely shredded (that's really what it is - a shredder) end product that is perfectly paired with/for the LB. My technique is to engage the battery and wait the full 5 seconds before drawing in for 10 seconds. The first draw of a new load always tastes best. 3 hits and I'm good. I need 5 or 6 hits from my other vaporizers to get the same level of effect. And the MFLB is the most cannabis efficient unit made.

vapirtoo, Stoned Cold, jeffp and 7 others like this.
  22. vapirtoo

Wow folks I totally agree with everything you covered.
    Pull control , breath control, and all the other fucking tiny techniques we’ve learned as we have mastered the box. Inhale only through your nose with your mouth on the box as usual?! Vapor college indeed!
    I agree ; this box has given us a real edge in maximizing and appreciating the use of other vapes.

23. KidFated.

KidFated. We Don't Even Live Here..

I still carry my LB in my coat. I always find myself sneaking a little puff here and there. Keep the batteries in the inside pocket and they stay warm and productive.

24. His_Highness

His_Highness In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Absolutely agree with the recent posts....The MFLB was my first vape and is/was an excellent vape educating unit. I still marvel at how frugal it is with my herb and how little vapor it produces for me but still gets me as happy as some of my heavy hitters. I've never really gotten it to produce big clouds which reminds me that I don't need huge clouds ..... I just like them :2c:

25. SpudBob

Ive used my MFLB techniques's on other vapes, especially the Malaana. The process is very similar. You are right though, thick Vapor doesn't, necessarily, mean better. Ive been saying this all along. People get caught up in the thick clouds= better. Also the LB DOES stretch your stash. I need to revisit it more often!

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors