howie105

My only concern is that I cannot tell if the last digit of the serial number is a zero or an eight because of the zebra pattern ... and this could be a problem if I should need warranty work.

Just let MF know what the problem is if you need to do a warranty return. I had a similar problem and they were great, so I suspect its a well known problem they deal with often.

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
Try putting a piece of thin paper over it and making a "rubbing" of it with the flat side of a crayon or pencil lead.
Great idea @sundaddy ... Now I know for sure that the last digit is an eight!

Count the Draws per Trench
About how many full lung draws do all of you usually get from a full (220mg-240mg) trench?

Do you tap and shake after each draw? If not, then how often?

Last edited:
ntaylor,
Reactions: sundaddy

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
I get around 12 'good' hits per trench. But one of the reasons I love the MFLB is being able to see the ABV color and know when it's beat so I don't have to count/keep track of the draws like I do with my Solo and X-max.
Thanks to @His_Highness for your count. I've been trying to keep track by making check marks on a piece of paper, but after ten or so I tend to forget to make the mark ... so an accurate count is elusive ... but I seem to be getting 15+ draws on most trenches.

Every five or so draws I dump and brush the trench onto a piece of paper and check it with an 8X magnifier for color and consistency. Then back in the trench it goes for more draws.

This research is one of my attempts to maximize the effect per dollar spent on MMJ.

New Question for MFLB Addicts
Do you own more than one Launch Box? How many? What kind?
I have a Walnut with etched lid, a Zebrawood, and a broken Walnut Monocle.

LBAS?
(Launch Box Addiction Syndrome for you acronym impaired people out there.)

Last edited:

vaporub

Thanks to @His_Highness for your count. I've been trying to keep track by making check marks on a piece of paper, but after ten or so I tend to forget to make the mark ... so an accurate count is elusive ... but I seem to be getting 15+ draws on most trenches.

Every five or so draws I dump and brush the trench onto a piece of paper and check it with an 8X magnifier for color and consistency. Then back in the trench it goes for more draws.

This research is one of my attempts to maximize the effect per dollar spent on MMJ.

New Question for MFLB Addicts
Do you own more than one Launch Box? How many? What kind?
I have a Walnut with etched lid, a Zebrawood, and a broken Walnut Monocle.

LBAS?
I have 3, all the same base model. Two just for back-ups.
I'm weird that way. Too often I find an ideal something, and then it becomes unavailable.
I hate when that happens.

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
Thanks to @vaporub for expanding my thoughts and for giving me yet another excellent reason for having more than one MFLB!

Expanded Questions for MFLB Addicts
Do you own more than one Launch Box?
How many?
What kind?
Why?

I have three
A Walnut with etched lid, a Zebrawood, and a broken Walnut Monocle.
My main reason is that I love the feel and look of fine wood.
I have sanded my Boxes. Starting with 1000 grit, then 1200, then 1500. Now any rough spots are cleaned up and the laser etching isn't disturbed. This is a good time to rub in a tiny dab of mineral oil. And now it's time to start using 2000, then 2500 grit, and if I ever get there, 3000. Smoother than glass! Feel so good in my hand! Look so pretty to my eyes!

LBAS?

vapirtoo

I still have my original 5 year old LB, and a newly purchased walnut model with that new ball bearing latch which I find to be a bit annoying.
Something got into the hole in the corner of the lid and stopped the lid from sealing properly which affected the draw.
I messed around with the spring to tighten the lid and it kind of worked.
Somehow the lid reset itself and the seal became so solid that I eased the tension on the spring.
Maybe I was so baked that I imagined the lid having a gap from the wood.
.........Alls well that ends well.

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
I still have my original 5 year old LB, and a newly purchased walnut model with that new ball bearing latch which I find to be a bit annoying.
Something got into the hole in the corner of the lid and stopped the lid from sealing properly which affected the draw.
I messed around with the spring to tighten the lid and it kind of worked.
Somehow the lid reset itself and the seal became so solid that I eased the tension on the spring.
Maybe I was so baked that I imagined the lid having a gap from the wood.
.........Alls well that ends well.
Suggest that if this happens again you use a wooden toothpick to clean out the hole. It needs to seat properly on the ball for the lid to allow the correct draw resistance.

axakal

all is relative, i'd say. when it's your only vape, a back-up mflb definitely doesn't hurt. when you have a small collection of vapes, you can survive the waiting time for the replacement unit by giving some stage time to your other devices. magic flight's customer serivce is top notch anyway, so the replacement box will not take too long to arrive. it's an entirely different story, however, when you like to collect the variety of woods and artwork magic flight offers. but be warned it's a sure gateway to VAS. :)

It's good to have at least one spare MFLB as well as lots of batteries!

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
This fine Walnut Orbiter arrived in today's mail ... and I'm so happy! Its draw is smooth, it's quiet, it shows a nice cloud, it's small, and it pleases my eye. On a scale of 0-5 I give the Orbiter 6 stars!

ry%3D400

The Orbiter is surprisingly tiny!

Last edited:

nealcassidy

Three maple MFLBs (one pre-ball latch), one walnut MFLB. Orbiter, walnut grinder.

I got extra boxes so I could loan a couple out to convince friends that it's a great alternative to smoking. Was able to convert some people, not others. The conversion rate would be higher if I spent more time demonstrating, but I think people should invest some of their own time and effort figuring it out. That's part of the fun!

An aside: I recently finished building a large kitchen table from a couple thick slabs of native Michigan walnut, and realized while celebrating completion that it matches my MFLB perfectly!

nnMRFGt.jpg

Last edited:

About how many full lung draws do all of you usually get from a full (220mg-240mg) trench?

I tap after each draw. Each draw is a slow ten-second draw that I stop when I begin to feel some throat irritation. Each full trench lasts me about 12 hits, which is at least 4 sessions for me, so I never fill the trench - I usually just grind up 0.07gm in my Nano and then regrind it in the Finishing Grinder. It comes out so fluffy and the ability to extract maximally is incredible. That lasts for at least 2 sessions, sometimes 3.

mplx

Thanks to @vaporub for expanding my thoughts and for giving me yet another excellent reason for having more than one MFLB!
Yes
How many?
Two boxes, a PA and a waterpipewhip to use with the bong
What kind?
Maple and Walnut
Why?
Backup, never used the Walnut it`s brand new. Maple is used several times a week.

Between 12 and 16, i use the brush between draws to make sure no herbs stick to the screen, then i shake the box and i finish with a couple of taps, so the herbs are in trench and not around it.

Amount of draws also depends on the herbs; if it is shopweed, i`ll get every last nanogram THC out of it. Damn i`m Dutch and i paid for it:D

ntaylor

Un-Known Member
Yes
How many?
Two boxes, a PA and a waterpipewhip to use with the bong
What kind?
Maple and Walnut
Why?
Backup, never used the Walnut it`s brand new. Maple is used several times a week.

Between 12 and 16, i use the brush between draws to make sure no herbs stick to the screen, then i shake the box and i finish with a couple of taps, so the herbs are in trench and not around it
Amount of draws also depends on the herbs; if it is shopweed, i`ll get every last nanogram THC out of it. Damn i`m Dutch and i paid for it:D
Excellent description of how to care for your MFLB @mplx!

After each draw I use the battery to sharply tap the bottom of the MFLB under the trench 5 or 6 times ... then tilt the box to view the trench for herb that didn't tap loose. If needed, then I brush (every 2nd or 3rd draw usually). Then shake vigorously to break up and clumps. Finally finish with a couple of finger taps to settle the herb in the trench.

(added later) Any time I hit too hard and get combustion. I dump the duff clean the screen with the brush dampened in alcohol ... then blow hard through the draw hole Magic-Flight says to close your eyes when you do this ... I say turn the Box upside down and don't blow residue in your face.

Last edited:

Petro

My poor LB has been so neglected recently :(. Since I got my other vapes I haven't touched the LB, which is a real disservice for the lil' guy as he was my first vape back in 2009, and got me back into vaping again the beginning of this year. Last night I gave him some long overdue love and put a generous coat of Underdog Underbutter on and it came up great. Had a trench in the LB this morning and really enjoyed it, gonna have to keep this guy in the rotation :cheers:.

:mflb::mflb::mflb:.....:smug:

lwien

So my old batts (over 4 years old pre-glyphs) had finally got so weak that I just ordered the Glyphs.

A few questions. One, does anyone know approx. how many charge cycles I can get out of these, and two, are the standard recommendations for charging/discharging standard NiMH batteries any different for these, that is, avoiding deep discharge, etc.

Also, with my old batts, I'd usually engage battery for about 5 to 8 seconds (depending if they were fresh off the charger or not) and then take a series of micro-hits till I felt lung expansion. Same for these or are they so strong that there is no need to wait that 5 to 8 seconds before hitting?

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
They may be a tad hotter then the old stock ones but I still do around a five second preheat when stacking micro hits 8 seconds is a little long for me but ymmv. One thing about the Glyphs is that they seem to pretty much hit at full power until they die unlike the old ones that faded away through a few final hits, with the glyphs I find I get full power right up until the hit where they die. I've been discharging completely and recharging since they were first released and all mine are still going strong.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Top Bottom