The Lotus Vaporizer

reece

charliedontsurf said:
Ug, too bad, I find the 18.8 to be preferable honestly for a number of reasons, among them superior durability, better airflow, and how an adaptor to 14mm will mount flush, while the opposite conversion will invariably be cumbersome.

I'm not sure I understand your point. The way I read it, you are correct about the adapters but a size 18mm Lotus would be the more cumbersome option.

The first link shows the adapter needed for the size 14mm Lotus waterpipe accessory to fit a size 18mm piece.

http://aqualabtechnologies.com/alt-18-14-mm-low-pro-reducer-adapter.html

If the Lotus were size 18mm, and you had a size 14mm piece you would need this adapter.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58488395/glass-on-glass-gong-expander-14male-to

reece,
I'm operating from a personal stance, where I only purchase 18.8 pieces because of strengths I listed. Not everyone is in this boat I of course admit. Your points are all valid from a general stance, for sure.

I'll also take this time to mention that I'm also a huge Parliament / Funkadelic fan and am also very into Les Claypool, someone you might want to look into if you haven't.

Max, is the bowl on the waterpipe adapter going to be larger than the one in the Lotus stem? I don't know if that's possible or desirable given that I haven't personally used the Lotus yet.

charliedontsurf,

reece

charliedontsurf said:
I'm operating from a personal stance, where I only purchase 18.8 pieces because of strengths I listed. Not everyone is in this boat I of course admit. Your points are all valid from a general stance, for sure.

I was a little more confused than I thought. Here's what I meant to say. You said "...an adaptor to 14mm will mount flush..." That is incorrect. A size 18 Lotus would need the adapter in the second link in my previous post in order to use it with a size 14 piece. It does not mount flush.

A size 14 Lotus used in a size 18 piece (like your pieces) would use the adapter shown in the first link, which mounts flush.

However, if you only buy 18 pieces, why is the type of adapter to a 14 relevant?

Man, I'm jonesin'. I missed PFunk when they came through last year. I do know about the Colonel. Thanks though. I love live music. Check out 420 Funk Mob and Drugs if you haven't already.

:)

reece,

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
charliedontsurf said:
Max, is the bowl on the waterpipe adapter going to be larger than the one in the Lotus stem?
The bowl on the WP adapter is the same size as on the standard Lotus, the vaporcap will be interchangeable between the WP adapter and the standard Lotus stem.

David and Michael,
Reactions: BLAZING OG

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Kinda off topic but has to be said -

The scoop has become an almost invaluable tool that I use now (whether its with the Lotus or not) I will say that when I first saw it, I :lol:-ed at it cause it came to me as a flat piece of scored metal that you had to bend into the scoop shape. (This is convenient cause you can make it a LEFT handed or RIGHT handed scoop) Now that I have used it more than twice, its pretty much become a necessity in my vaping arsenal. (no more 'pinches')

I think of it similar to how I felt about grinders when I used to manually break my stuff up with my fingers. Kinda like one of those things that makes you wonder why you werent using it before.

I guess I also realized how cool it was now that I can use it to scoop out my kief for a hit of it here and there :)

AGBeer,

stinkmeaner

The scoop looks awesome, definitely a nice idea, props to Lotus. They would be a nice addition to the Supreme vape, which can be annoying to load at first.

stinkmeaner,
Insane that we can all be so impressed by a tiny metal scoop, looks like all of us just needed last season's coke spoons all these years! I love my scoop too.

Had my first day with the Lotus, am overall pretty pleased. It produces a very, very flavorful vapor and gets up to temperature very quickly, and is ready to go back in your pocket in 15 seconds tops. It's all generally pretty sturdy feeling. Efficiency is very high, I can see why the log vape people are so excited. You can take your material to a very dark brown/black, sometimes more so than you'd like if you're not careful.

My biggest problem right now is the bowl size. It's minute. I have a high tolerance and have found the constant emptying and repacking a little bit a chore. It also seems difficult to get big, clean, robust rips off of the Lotus, and I think this largely because of its bowl size. I could get those type of hits out of my old VG classic with very little trouble - although the Lotus is more attractive, has no carbon filter soot, has no butane in the airpath, and is cleanable - I think the big (WIDE, really) bowl just allowed a bigger hit. Time will tell.

Verdict: Pretty :)

The Lotus is perfectly designed for extracts, something I've seen no one mention. Just make sure to keep the screen reasonably clear.

Looking forward to experimenting more, and keep in mind these impressions are based on a day's use.

charliedontsurf,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
charliedontsurf said:
Insane that we can all be so impressed by a tiny metal scoop, looks like all of us just needed last season's coke spoons all these years! I love my scoop too.

Had my first day with the Lotus, am overall pretty pleased. It produces a very, very flavorful vapor and gets up to temperature very quickly, and is ready to go back in your pocket in 15 seconds tops. It's all generally pretty sturdy feeling. Efficiency is very high, I can see why the log vape people are so excited. You can take your material to a very dark brown/black, sometimes more so than you'd like if you're not careful.

My biggest problem right now is the bowl size. It's minute. I have a high tolerance and have found the constant emptying and repacking a little bit a chore. It also seems difficult to get big, clean, robust rips off of the Lotus, and I think this largely because of its bowl size. I could get those type of hits out of my old VG classic with very little trouble - although the Lotus is more attractive, has no carbon filter soot, has no butane in the airpath, and is cleanable - I think the big (WIDE, really) bowl just allowed a bigger hit. Time will tell.

Verdict: Pretty :)

The Lotus is perfectly designed for extracts, something I've seen no one mention. Just make sure to keep the screen reasonably clear.

Looking forward to experimenting more, and keep in mind these impressions are based on a day's use.

I think Im gonna have to agree with all of your points there. The bowl IS a bit smaller than I would ideally like, but this is also a good thing. (Its a take for my give)

And concentrates. I was thinking pretty much the exact same thing (cept I dont have any concentrates to load up in this piece - just kief) It definitely does a very nice melty yummy job with my kief and Im very sure that it would handle any other extracts I threw at it without blinking.

P.S. You need to knock this shit off by the way CDS. This is now TWICE that I have found myself agreeing with you. First it was your love and appreciation for Col. Claypool, now this? WTH is happening here? :D

AGBeer,

jackmormon

Does anyone know what size of screen the Lotus uses and an easy way to replace? I am in the learning phase with the Lotus and accidentally combusted....nasty black screen that won't come clean with an iso soak.

jackmormon,
AGBeer said:
I think Im gonna have to agree with all of your points there. The bowl IS a bit smaller than I would ideally like, but this is also a good thing. (Its a take for my give)

And concentrates. I was thinking pretty much the exact same thing (cept I dont have any concentrates to load up in this piece - just kief) It definitely does a very nice melty yummy job with my kief and Im very sure that it would handle any other extracts I threw at it without blinking.

P.S. You need to knock this shit off by the way CDS. This is now TWICE that I have found myself agreeing with you. First it was your love and appreciation for Col. Claypool, now this? WTH is happening here? :D

Ha, it's good to know there are some real cool people on here, with some real taste in music; Reece is a big funkadelic fan! I actually saw Primus 12/30 and 12/31 (NYE) just two weeks ago.

jackmormon said:
Does anyone know what size of screen the Lotus uses and an easy way to replace? I am in the learning phase with the Lotus and accidentally combusted....nasty black screen that won't come clean with an iso soak.

It's a very small screen size, not sure of diameter. Have you tried burning your screen? Hold it in your tweezers, blast with your jet torch as far away as possible - when it lights, let it burn for a bit, then when it's done burning rake a knife blade across the surface. Worked for my Lotus screen and 100 before it.

charliedontsurf,

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
charliedontsurf said:
jackmormon said:

It's a very small screen size, not sure of diameter. Have you tried burning your screen? Hold it in your tweezers, blast with your jet torch as far away as possible - when it lights, let it burn for a bit, then when it's done burning rake a knife blade across the surface. Worked for my Lotus screen and 100 before it.

You can also try soaking it in methanol, that's the alcohol that you can get at the paint department of your local hardware store. Make sure there are no fumes when you use the Lotus again. They're toxic.
You can also send a stamped self addressed envelope to Mendocino Therapeutics (check the Lotus website) and we'll send you 2 free screens. Yes, you too CDS.

David and Michael,

Spacenstein

Any users planning to take a few videos of the Lotus in action? Definitely planning to get one of these before the end of the month!

Spacenstein,
Is it okay to briefly ignite the screen with a bic-type lighter to burn off crude while inhaling? The tight screen mesh on the stock screen (I don't have a looser mesh in proper size to replace it) get clogged easily and removal obviously is difficult in the field.

charliedontsurf,

Nycdeisel

if its basic metal screen like I imagine, then I would just take a q tip dipped in alcohol and be thorough with the screen but careful.

I also imagine that a basic orange lighter flame will make the vapor path taste bad.

Nycdeisel,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Here's a little trick I came up with recently for those of us with bag vapes. Put the screen in your crucible at high temp and blow a bag. The gunk will cook right off , usually turning into a dry powder you can just rub off with your fingers. Plus you get a vapor bag from the potent goo out of it.

Skunkypete,
Reactions: 215z

Spacenstein

charliedontsurf said:
Is it okay to briefly ignite the screen with a bic-type lighter to burn off crude while inhaling? The tight screen mesh on the stock screen (I don't have a looser mesh in proper size to replace it) get clogged easily and removal obviously is difficult in the field.
Nycdeisel said:
if its basic metal screen like I imagine, then I would just take a q tip dipped in alcohol and be thorough with the screen but careful.

I also imagine that a basic orange lighter flame will make the vapor path taste bad.

I believe CDC was talking about cleaning the unit's screen while out on the go.. I did the same with my Aluminum VG and it worked quite well since the base of the unit (and i assume the lotus base, too) is unable to be damaged by a flame.

Although, Nycdeisel is correct about the taste.. It'd be a better idea to quickly blast the screen with your jet-torch instead of a bic-style lighter.

Also, just a question... what is the consistency of the bud you all are using for your lotus? (what works best)

-S

Spacenstein,
Interesting advice skunky, I'll have to try that with my cano.

Spacenstein, you read my motive perfectly, I am indeed trying to unclog the screen in the field - burning seems to have no negative effects I can tell but I've only done it once.
Because of the small bowl size, larger size particles have a tendency to fall out while stirring, or a large portion of solid material will vape while smaller partciles remain - so, I have started using almost MFLB style shake on it, a super fine grind, which works better. I love my Lotus, just hate its tiny bowl.

charliedontsurf,

Spacenstein

charliedontsurf said:
I love my Lotus, just hate its tiny bowl.

It depends on the user, but I think the smaller bowl is a great improvement from other vape designs.

A major design flaw in the VG (my opinion) was the bowl. The bowl was extremely wide, and the user would experience vaping a bowl with in two or three hits because of this.. (keep in mind that the VG bowl can hold .5g, while the Lotus imitates the size of a PD/MZ bowl) I would almost always end up coughing a lung out, not to mention wasting tons of good vapor..

You could probably find steel tubing that would fit over/atop the Lotus bowl, extending the depth of it, increasing the size of the bowl and easing the stirring procedure. Although, you'd have to install additional magnets (or other method) to secure the bowl, again. Not even sure if your herb would vaporizer correctly with this mod, but i just wanted to spit it out. I think this would void the warranty, too.

-S

*EDIT*

With a loooooooooooot of hard work and tinkering, a user could create something that looks like this :
(this is not a suggestion to the manufacturer, as i find a lot of peoples suggestions/ideas seem to upset the inventors)

2wfir9h.jpg

A removable bowl-extender. The diagram is very exaggerated, but you can get the idea.. Yellow is magnets.

Spacenstein,

lwien

charliedontsurf said:

And this is a classic example of why there is no one best vaporizer, 'cause for me, the tiny bowl is exactly what has me seriously thinking about getting this vape.

lwien,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
lwien said:
charliedontsurf said:

And this is a classic example of why there is no one best vaporizer, 'cause for me, the tiny bowl is exactly what has me seriously thinking about getting this vape.

Totally second that!! I was going to pull the trigger this weekend then playoff football tickets fell into my lap so next payday will be the time :)

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Yes, the small bowl is a HUGE selling point for me - but also keep in mind that chances are this vape *may* not become your daily driver, but your daily driver when it comes to portability. :2c:

AGBeer,

Spacenstein

lwien said:

I'm sure it's not just the tiny bowl that's intriguing you.. :p

But I agree with you all the way, I love the tiny bowl.. I went off on that modification to help CDC out and mayyyyybe 'cause I had the day off work with nothing else to do.. :rolleyes:

AGBeer said:
this vape *may* not become your daily driver.

What vape would you currently set as your DD? I see the Lotus and log style vapes to be centered towards patients who need to dose their medications while the SSV appeals towards the heavy-user stoner type of guy. If the SSV is your daily driver, then I could see why the Lotus wouldn't become your DD-- Although, if your MZ was your DD, would switching to the Lotus be a significant change?

Spacenstein,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Spacenstein said:
AGBeer said:
this vape *may* not become your daily driver.

What vape would you currently set as your DD? I see the Lotus and log style vapes to be centered towards patients who need to dose their medications while the SSV appeals towards the heavy-user stoner type of guy. If the SSV is your daily driver, then I could see why the Lotus wouldn't become your DD-- Although, if your MZ was your DD, would switching to the Lotus be a significant change?

Hmmmmmm, I see your point. IF I didnt have my MZ, then yes I could very easily see the Lotus as being my daily driver. Its efficiency and versatility are its biggest appeal (IMO) While I love my SSV as well, efficiency aside, I dont need that level of medicating all of the time.

So yeah, if I DIDNT have my Zap already then It would be safe to say that my Lotus would be filling its shoes. :D

AGBeer,

Spacenstein

AGBeer said:
So yeah, if I DIDNT have my Zap already then It would be safe to say that my Lotus would be filling its shoes. :D

I absolutely loved my Zap, but I can't see myself using any home vape as my daily driver. Hopefully the Lotus will become the only vape I need. :rolleyes:

Spacenstein,

sunsett70

for those lotus users, do you have to stir after each hit for it to vape evenly or can you just 'shake' it?

sunsett70,
Top Bottom