The Lotus Vaporizer

lwien

finchrock24 said:
lwien said:
Skunkypete said:
IMO if you used that kind of heat gun on a Lotus you'd probably end up taking the paint off the edges. The circle in the middle made to be heated up is only 3/4 of an inch across. As far as I know the nozzle on a heat gun is not that precise.

Kinda like killing a fly with a bazooka. :/

Interesting analogy. I guess one could say that any of the devices we use are like killing a fly with a bazooka. After all, all you REALLY need to do to use MJ is eat it. Or throw it on a fire and sit next to it. Compared to those two techniques, even the launchbox looks like the space station when it comes to ingesting THC!

Naw, I think you missed the point.

The Lotus is designed for a heat source that concentrates a narrow beam of heat to the center of the flower. A heat gun would not concentrate heat in a narrow beam but rather disperse it over a wide area, hence, my killing a fly with a bazooka analogy in regards to the previous post I quoted.

lwien,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
finchrock24 said:
Skunky Pete: I beileve that E stated he wouldn't use a heat gun of that quality on the Lotus. I haven't used heat guns (I just use a hair dryer for shirking small diameters of heat shrink) so I don't know the temperatures they reach, but I have seen some get red hot. I'm sure Egzoset would know which to use under which circumstance.

I don't doubt the fact they can reach vaporising temperature. I doubt the practicality of using one combined with the lotus. While I can understand wanting to find alternate uses for vapes, I just dont see it here. Atleast not with any heat gun I've used in the past. Like someone pointed out before if you want to use a heat gun its really best to get one of these.

edit: Cheaper too!

Skunkypete,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
lwien said:
finchrock24 said:
lwien said:
Kinda like killing a fly with a bazooka. :/

Interesting analogy. I guess one could say that any of the devices we use are like killing a fly with a bazooka. After all, all you REALLY need to do to use MJ is eat it. Or throw it on a fire and sit next to it. Compared to those two techniques, even the launchbox looks like the space station when it comes to ingesting THC!

Naw, I think you missed the point.

The Lotus is designed for a heat source that concentrates a narrow beam of heat to the center of the flower. A heat gun would not concentrate heat in a narrow beam but rather disperse it over a wide area, hence, my killing a fly with a bazooka analogy in regards to the previous post I quoted.

Like I said, I have never used a heat gun ( I only need the low heat of a hair dryer) but I do know they make concentrated tips to help 'direct' the heat. I agree with you though, if I were going to by the lotus (which I wouldn't) I would just buy a jet lighter from deal extreme or even the local smoke shop. However, I was just making the point because someone may have a heat gun sitting around and want to experiment. Do I think a heat gun is the ideal or recommended heat source for this vape...not in a million years. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the ingenuity that people come up with to do things differently (IE use a different type of energy source). I guess I'm just the type of person that likes to attack a problem with more solutions then just 'the right one'.

I don't believe I missed the point though. I think vaporizing in general is like killing a fly with a bazooka. Doesn't mean its a bad thing though...a bazooka would be fun to kill a fly with, even if it ain't practical!

finchrock24,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I would think that if someone wanted to get uber creative and try to reinvent this wheel with a heat gun, then it would make more sense to have the heat coming from UNDER the flower (where the intake holes are) But why try to reinvent this wheel? :)

And I think the cool thing about this vape is the fact that you could just as easily get away with a corner market special (gooseneck) torch. With something like the SV that benefits from having a bigger/hotter torch, I could see upgrading with the DX Blazer or something like that. This vape seems to agree with just about ANY micro torch (bigger might not be better here)

AGBeer,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Thats true...those Burnz o matic (or whatever they are) gooseneck torches are really handy to have around the house. Although, since my hobby requires soldering, I would just go for a torch that can solder/melt as well as be used for a vape (although I haven't tested soldering with the goosneck torch so it might work for that)...two birds one stone!

finchrock24,

Earths Essence

Ordered the black Lotus Vaporizer kit, with natural top from VaporStore. Used the 10%+ free shipping discount code for a total of $117. Just got it in the mail today, fast shipping. Open the box to see only the Lotus without the torch lighter or bag. Called VaporStore, they apologized, and just sent one out. I decided to buy one at the local smoke shop anyway, 7 bucks.

Let me just say, this thing is great....will be posting a more formal review soon

Earths Essence,

Nosferatu

Earths Essence said:
Ordered the black Lotus Vaporizer kit, with natural top from VaporStore. Used the 10%+ free shipping discount code for a total of $117. Just got it in the mail today, fast shipping. Open the box to see only the Lotus without the torch lighter or bag. Called VaporStore, they apologized, and just sent one out. I decided to buy one at the local smoke shop anyway, 7 bucks.

Let me just say, this thing is great....will be posting a more formal review soon

Ahhhhhhhh goood a nice portable to accompany my Ion...I think i want one! :lol:

Nosferatu,

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
With all the discussions about heat guns and the Lotus, I decided to try the two together. I am using a Palladin heat gun that can go up to 1100 F. It has a handmade reducer on it that necks down to around 1/4" diameter. I tested it at about 800-900 F at a low fan speed with the nozzle right on the middle of the Lotus hot plate.
It hardly vaporized anything (slight browning), tasted bad and the heat gun motor sounded like it was straining. With all of that I called it a failed experiment. I don't know what's in the heat gun interior but the flavor that came through turned me off. I think the whole vapor cap was bathed in the hot air from the gun and that's what I was breathing.
That's one datum point for the Lotus/heat gun discussion and I hope it calms the water/clears the air a bit.

David and Michael,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi Skunkypete,

If it's true the middle heat-transfer zone of a Lotus vaporizer is 3/4" in diameter then this nozzle is exactly half that size:

DigiKey - 3/8" Heat Gun Nozzle

...and i vaguely recall there are even smaller models...

VripTech glassware is useless to those who need to solder wires or tubing, not to mention one can't throw it in his toolbox and hope such delicate glass contraptions will survive harsh environments for long! Max Jitter has made a good point though: even the indirect air path between a Lotus vaporizer and a heat gun like the Palladin might be a cause for concerns, apparently - which brings me back to a previous intervention (e.g. about a form of shielding). Also, i notice we still don't know for sure what happened to the magnetic lock mechanism looking at the picture below!

cimg0543b.jpg

:hmm:

Egzoset,

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
The waterpipe adapter will have the same sliding fit with the vapor cap that the standard Lotus has but will not have a magnetic lock. We figured that since a waterpipe wouldn't be handled the same as a portable vaporizer it wouldn't need the same type of connection.
I agree with Egzoset about needing a deflector around the vapor cap to keep the inhalation air separate from the air gun heated air. Maybe I'll retry the airgun with a larger nozzle and hope that I don't melt it.

David and Michael,

Earths Essence

I've been using this thing all day, and have noticed that the Lotus works best when you heat the middle of the plate until you see the red spot, and WHILE still lighting, begin inhaling for maybe 2-3 seconds. With this method I'm getting 3-4, PD like hits. This thing is efficient. Only difference between this and a home vape is that there is a better chance of scorching the herb, but with only 2 days practice I'm getting the hang of it. A+ vape, seriously.

Earths Essence,

lwien

Earths Essence said:
I've been using this thing all day, and have noticed that the Lotus works best when you heat the middle of the plate until you see the red spot, and WHILE still lighting, begin inhaling for maybe 2-3 seconds. With this method I'm getting 3-4, PD like hits. This thing is efficient. Only difference between this and a home vape is that there is a better chance of scorching the herb, but with only 2 days practice I'm getting the hang of it. A+ vape, seriously.

My PD turned out to be about 3 to 4 times more efficient than my VG. How would you rank the Lotus in this regard? How much more weed do you go through with the Lotus to get to the same high as you do with your PD, or to put it another way, how many hits can you get out of a Lotus with one PD stems worth of bud loaded up in it?

Also, would you say it is more or less efficient than the LaunchBox?

lwien,

Earths Essence

Not even joking, the Lotus bowl is THE perfect size for exactly one PD stem, maybe a little less even!

I use the same amount with my Lotus as my PD, so far. The Lotus does get it to higher temps, making it a portable DBV-MFLB combo. Much more efficient than MFLB, much. Every time I've hit it today, I've thought, "damn, this vape truly is the best portable."

Earths Essence,

lwien

Earths Essence said:
Not even joking, the Lotus bowl is THE perfect size for exactly one PD stem, maybe a little less even!

I use the same amount with my Lotus as my PD, so far. The Lotus does get it to higher temps, making it a portable DBV-MFLB combo. Much more efficient than MFLB, much. Every time I've hit it today, I've thought, "damn, this vape truly is the best portable."

Damnit. I wasn't going to get another vape. Fuck.

How's the taste?

lwien,

Nycdeisel

ooh Lwien may have caught the vape craving thats been going around lately ;)

Im interested in this as well.

Nycdeisel,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Max Jitter said:
The waterpipe adapter will have the same sliding fit with the vapor cap that the standard Lotus has but will not have a magnetic lock. We figured that since a waterpipe wouldn't be handled the same as a portable vaporizer it wouldn't need the same type of connection.
I agree with Egzoset about needing a deflector around the vapor cap to keep the inhalation air separate from the air gun heated air. Maybe I'll retry the airgun with a larger nozzle and hope that I don't melt it.

So how does this translate to those who already have the original Lotus?

Will the existing flower work with the slide/bowl on the glass piece? Or will this be its own combo?

AGBeer,

lwien

Yeah, I don't really need a portable 'cause I do all my vaping at home. I don't leave my PD on 24/7 anymore but rather turn it on about an hour before I'm gonna vape, but every once in awhile, I'll forget to turn it on and then I'm like, fuck, now I gotta wait an hour. For those situations, this would be perfect being that efficiency is at the top of my priority list.

It's the reason that I no longer have the VG, Buddha, Iolite and Ion. They just couldn't match the PD's efficiency, but if this can...........I'm interested.

lwien,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Earths Essence said:

Im interested to do my own testing on this as well. I know that my LB was incredibly efficient (it took VERY little to use it) My biggest complaint about it was the fact that you had to be way too careful with the batteries. ANYTHING that was conductive couldnt be anywhere near them or they would discharge, get really effin' hot, and ultimately start to leak/explode.

It may be early to say, but I think this may combine the things I loved about my VG and LB while maintaining the efficiency of my MZ. Now excuse me as I grab a sleeping bag to continue camping out by the mailbox. :p

AGBeer,

Earths Essence

Pros: Efficiency, Ease, Quickness (superfast from cold to vapor), Attractive piece, Fun to use, Durable

Cons: butane goes quick, not AS stealthy, easier than most vapes to burn herb, more likely to just scorch the grinds lightly

I'll think of more and post

Just had a bowl out of the Lotus, with LESS than a PD stem. Damn I'm medicated

Earths Essence,

lwien

Earths Essence said:
Just had a bowl out of the Lotus, with LESS than a PD stem. Damn I'm medicated

And your abv isn't comin' out black?

If the answer is no................wow ! Either that, you your tolerance has flat-lined.

lwien,

Earths Essence

Just a tad darker than the PD, lets say a well vaped DBV bowl. Im a skinny guy with a low tolerance maybe that has to do with it...

Earths Essence,

lwien

"A+ vape, seriously."
"damn, this vape truly is the best portable."
"Just had a bowl out of the Lotus, with LESS than a PD stem. Damn I'm medicated"

to

"I'm selling the fucker. Anyone wanna buy it?" in 2 hours flat.

Ummm............ :shrug:

I mean, like, I understand the reasoning, but that was quick. :brow:

lwien,
Top Bottom