The Lotus Vaporizer

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
We just got the results back from the test lab for nickel testing under normal vaporizing conditions.

To get double the amount of nickel fumes that are normally breathed in during a day*, you would have to use the Lotus from 700 to 7000 times per day at normal vaporizing temperatures.

We don't recommend that you use it that often.

The lab results will be posted on our website next week.

*According to the CDC the amount of nickel fumes a person breathes in varies from .1 to 1 micrograms per day.

[URL='http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/best-of-the-lotus-vaporizer-thread.16733/'] [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

sadf

I just put a glass VG on order this morning then discovered the Lotus.

If the Lotus cost less I'd have already canceled the glass VG.

Question is for those who've used them, should I cancel the VG anyway?

sadf,

stinkmeaner

sadf said:

That is a question only you can answer. There is plenty of feedback on the Glass VG and most is positive, I have not tried the Glass VG but I have used the regular model and I couldn't get past the fact that I had to inhale while using a lighter, I always found it a negative that you have to inhale the butane flame.

The Lotus is new and doesn't have the feedback that the VG has, but it does work on a better principle in theory because it uses a heat exchanger, meaning you heat up an area and it works as a heating element, something I have experience with using the Supreme Vaporizer which is a step up in that area in my opinion because it is so versatile.

Between the 2, I would lean towards the Lotus. I like their approach with honesty. They tested their vaporizer and told the truth that there is a small amount of nickel in the air (less than you normally inhale anyways). Most vaporizers companies market differently and claim nothing is in the air and scare you into thinking all other vaporizers are toxic, and most of these same companies that are inducing fear, don't even have a test of their own product.

stinkmeaner,

Egzoset

Banned
Lets add that while browsing through the manufacturer's web site one will notice that the Lotus has a "hot spot" feature to monitor the temperature level. One other aspect of interest is that this device very well might happen to be compatible with the use of a heat gun, which i'd personally prefer to anything producing a flame.

Egzoset,

stinkmeaner

With a heat gun it would seem you would overheat the surrounding areas, I don't think the flame much matters since you are not inhaling. Were you suggesting the heat gun because you don't want to overheat the metal?

stinkmeaner,

Egzoset

Banned
The idea of a heat gun comes to me spontaneously because i tried to acquire one. My primary objective was to get a heat gun and then i read about the Lotus vaporizer and thought it would make a nice complement.

Here's one heat gun reducer nozzle among the vast variety we can find on the market:

sgiaue.jpg

Of course, operating a heat gun without a proper nozzle while trying to warm up the Lotus vaporizer could be subject to safety concerns, IMO...

:uhoh:

Egzoset,

sadf

stinkmeaner said:
sadf said:

That is a question only you can answer. There is plenty of feedback on the Glass VG and most is positive, I have not tried the Glass VG but I have used the regular model and I couldn't get past the fact that I had to inhale while using a lighter, I always found it a negative that you have to inhale the butane flame.

The Lotus is new and doesn't have the feedback that the VG has, but it does work on a better principle in theory because it uses a heat exchanger, meaning you heat up an area and it works as a heating element, something I have experience with using the Supreme Vaporizer which is a step up in that area in my opinion because it is so versatile.

Between the 2, I would lean towards the Lotus. I like their approach with honesty. They tested their vaporizer and told the truth that there is a small amount of nickel in the air (less than you normally inhale anyways). Most vaporizers companies market differently and claim nothing is in the air and scare you into thinking all other vaporizers are toxic, and most of these same companies that are inducing fear, don't even have a test of their own product.

Thanks!

I'm not super worried about inhaling lighter fumes as butane breaks down into harmless chemicals, but the Lotus looks like a superior design from the engineering of the device; especially with what I keep hearing now about VG ceramic filters degrading over time. Can anyone comment on the efficiency of the Lotus? The two primary reasons I'm vaporizer shopping at the moment are being able to smoke in an apartment and cutting back on how much herb I'm burning through.

The durability and design of the Lotus look superior to a glass VG, but only first-hand experience will know how efficient the thing really is at just straight functioning as a vape. :p

sadf,

stinkmeaner

Even with the reducer, the hot air has got to go somewhere and since you are not inhaling it like using a heat gun with a bowl of herbs. Then the when the air hits the Lotus heat exchanger it is just going to blow everywhere and still not get the center hot/red enough to produce vapor.

stinkmeaner,

Egzoset

Banned
Well, i doubt a heat gun would be an appealing option in the context of the person you were replying to since i've seen many posts where the users complained about noise. In addition, electric heat guns aren't really portable... One might argue that heat guns do have some stealth qualities though, but my guess is that depends on who is using it and where.

Anyway, my impression was that the customer didn't need to heat his Lotus vaporizer while inhaling its vapor simultaneously. Under the circumstances i know i wouldn't want a heat gun near my face! I like your comment implying better temperature control in heat guns, nonetheless.

But...

It is my understanding that you had the opportunity to get acquainted with the Supreme Vaporizer, i'm confident this puts you in a much more appropriate position to comment further.

:)

Egzoset,

sadf

Well I decided to go with the Lotus since it looks like a superior design.

Pity you apparently don't accept payments from non-US residents despite offering international shipping.

Too bad.

sadf,

stinkmeaner

sadf said:

Pity you apparently don't accept payments from non-US residents despite offering international shipping.

Too bad.

Did you email them to confirm the payment issue? Or did it not accept on checkout?

I ask because the website & product is new and I wonder if they might not know about the issue.

If in the end they can't help you, try checking out the Magic Flight Launch Box or my personal favorite Supreme Vaporizer as worthy alternatives in the portable category.

stinkmeaner,

sadf

stinkmeaner said:
sadf said:

Too bad.

Did you email them to confirm the payment issue? Or did it not accept on checkout?

I ask because the website & product is new and I wonder if they might not know about the issue.

If in the end they can't help you, try checking out the Magic Flight Launch Box or my personal favorite Supreme Vaporizer as worthy alternatives in the portable category.

They offer two payment methods: Mailing a cheque (Haha, no) and Paypal. Their Paypal is set up to only accept credit cards and Paypal accounts from America. I may email them tonight as you're correct, it may only be an oversight.

I've looked into the MFLB and it honestly looks like a pain in the ass to use with the batteries. It apparently also doesn't hit very hard and looks near-impossible to clean. The size is not an asset to me so despite the hype I'm not really sold on it.

The vaporizer I was going to purchase until I saw the Lotus was a glass VG. It's portable enough, much like the Lotus, and works more quickly than an electric unit. The difficulty in getting consistent results combined with fear of its fragility led me to believe the Lotus is a superior offering. Their payment issue is annoying as hell though.

I'll check out the Supreme Vaporizer, a quick look makes it look severely over-priced and beyond what I'm willing to spend on a portable device, but maybe it really is All That.

sadf,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Well, if 'hard hitting' is what you are looking for then the SV is your best bet.

The LB does a wonderful job of getting you medicated (with smaller hits)
But the SV... Its the portable of portables.
No really... :o

AGBeer,

stinkmeaner

Yeah the Supreme is really more than meets the eye. Far more complicated than it looks, just look at their website under the heating element tab, it shows a picture of the inside of the block.

stinkmeaner,

Egzoset

Banned
It's one of a few (pocket!) vaporizers with its thermocouple located right where measurement has to be made for accurate temperature readings, right?

Egzoset,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
They are supposed to fix the paypal issue this week. Atleast that's what I was told when I emailed them about it.

Skunkypete,

stinkmeaner

Egzoset said:
It's one of a few (pocket!) vaporizers with its thermocouple located right where measurement has to be made for accurate temperature readings, right?
I would have to agree. In my eyes the thermocouple should read right before the air touches the herbs if possible in the design.

I wouldn't expect the Lotus to have one since it is more of a pocket piece than the Supreme, the Lotus also serves one function as a pipe vape whereas the Supreme is multi-role with whip, direct draw, & waterpipe usage methods. This might mean that knowing the exact temp might not be as necessary in the Lotus and only the red hot dot would be needed unless you were vaping something like Salvia.

stinkmeaner,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
sadf said:
I've looked into the MFLB and it honestly looks like a pain in the ass to use with the batteries. It apparently also doesn't hit very hard and looks near-impossible to clean. The size is not an asset to me so despite the hype I'm not really sold on it.

I wrote a lengthy response to this and then realized it was way off topic for this thread. I like the Lotus and might get one one of these days, and I certainly don't want to hijack this thread.

I think you've been misled about the LB, and I invite you to post your comment in that thread where it will be appropriate for me to respond. I'm not trying to switch you from the Lotus, I just want to explain why I think you've got the wrong impression of the LB.

pakalolo,

DaProfessor

Back on topic...

The Lotus looks like a great portable. I think the Lotus fills a niche that only the SV and Vapman had successfully filled up to this point. They have their drawbacks though. I think this is a great addition to the vapor community. I am definitely going to pick one of these up ASAP...as long as a fatal flaw isn't revealed anytime soon :lol: It will replace my current portable, the ubie. That thing works, but it's extremely temperamental regarding air movement.

I really think that there should be a version to use with water pipes. I would be on it in a second! It would fill the need for a lower priced, high quality flame-powered vape. Anyone want to jam their lotus in a water tool to see if the current heater design can provide decent hits?

DaProfessor,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
FYI they have the international orders working. I'm looking forward to trying the lotus out :D

Skunkypete,

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
DaProfessor said:
Back on topic...

I really think that there should be a version to use with water pipes. I would be on it in a second!

We will be working on a bowl to fit on a water pipe in the near future. The local smoke shop suggested making one that fits a 14mm ground glass adapter. Any opinions?

caseball2051

Either 18 or 14 would work.

there are adapters so that you could make a 14 work with an 18, and an 18 work on a 14 so that really doenst matter.

caseball2051,
Top Bottom