The Lotus Vaporizer

Kalessin

Hey guys, had some time to play with the Lotus, been playing with alternative herbs, like stuff people have been writing about in the ethnobotanical thread. Anyways the device is a fun device and it does work, flavor on the alternative herbs I have is pretty roasted after the 3rd hit... I do like this device and think the results would be even better with the ganj. My only regret is ordering the short stem rather than the long stem. If anyone is thinking of oredering one of these, do it, but go ahead and get the long one. It will keep your hand further away from all the hot action, not sure what I was thinking.
The long one is perfect to me. Sleek and sturdy, never gives me uncomfortable vapor, awesome reclaim. And you could definitely knock someone out with it.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
What do lotus fans recommend for a bubbler? Cheap Chinese glass.
I have the D020, and can see that the flame will be right under my nose.
I don't want a drop down, so one of those side car types?

this is what I use for the Lotus!
CjaWHCI.jpg

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
:o:bowdown:
I thought me using the Lotus and UFO together was KO! I need to get on your level!
I love CANNABIS no doubt!

The can on the UFO fills up thick milky white.
You see the mouth piece?
I like a small opening!
In the 70's we used zig-zags!
After Bob Marley made Jamaica well known it seemed everyone got into Bong's?
I stayed with Joints became the large mouth piece was weird for me!

Vaporizing has renewed my fondness of cannabis!

The LOTUS is cool because your vaping and it's close to joint smoking!

caphector

Some of you might have seen @Ed's TnT's Lotus stem. I'd loved the look and idea of the Lotus but didn't like either the glass or metal stems. I thought it looked pipe-ish and wanted a pipe-ish stem.

So I purchased a Lotus and shipped it directly to Ed. After much discussion and development I was shipped this lovely stem:
StemandBase.png

Lotus1.png

Lotus3.png

I just started using it last night and it's lovely; it feels great in the hand and the angle of the stem is perfect to hold the torch while inhaling. It's got a bit more of a throat hit than I was hoping for but I'm seeing if we can mitigate that.

My only regret is that this model is a bit tippy when I'm not using Ed's stand; I'm talking to him about how to improve the next version. For a portable stem it feels great and works very nicely with the Lotus.

stef351

Hey folks, I've been lurking in this community for quite a while, but this is my first post.

The lotus has been a daily driver for over a year now, and overall I find it to be just a phenomenal little device. My question to all you Lotus pros is, do you have any tips/advice for getting higher temp vapor without combusting? I really struggle with this. I get amazing huge tasty clouds for the first 2-3 hits, then once the material gets golden brown there's little to no vapor, then instant combustion. I run it through glass so I'm able to see the dirty cloud before inhaling it, but you folks know everything will taste like crap until you do a proper iso soak/clean. With my vapman (or ascent even) I easily get (nearly) coffee coloured material every time, this is what I'm aiming for with the lotus.

I'll try and explain my current technique, and maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I use 1 lotus scoop of ground material and the recommended size flame on my torch lighter. Then, I pre-heat for about 3 seconds before gently inhale while moving the flame in small circles around the middle of the cap. Once I see the orange glow on the cap, and vapor starting to fill the glass, I will slightly increase my draw speed and continue to heat/draw for a few more seconds before clearing the glass then stirring the contents of the bowl. This works remarkably well for the first few pulls, but as I said, once the material gets to a "certain point" it becomes very risky to try and get anything else out of it. I still get well medicated, but not as much as I would from the same amount of material in the vapman.

Thanks in advance!

masaki

How's the lotus working out for concentrates? I'd love a easy way medicate oil on the go. My only concern is the flavor compared to a low temp dab? Anyone with experience please lmk!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Just to be clear it looks like you drop a WPA in the stem, yes? It doesn't look like it has it's own bowl.
The WPA by LOTUS is the best made adapter for water pipes known to MANKIND.

Why other companies still make them in glass?

Hey folks, I've been lurking!

I use the LOTUS and become medicated as can be!

What I'm I doing wrong?

Last edited:

bounce5

How is the Hi-temp cap? I haven't seen any reviews for it yet. Would be interesting to see a comparison review between the older cap and the new cap. I'm curious if it works better with flowers than the older cap.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Hey folks, I've been lurking in this community for quite a while, but this is my first post.

The lotus has been a daily driver for over a year now, and overall I find it to be just a phenomenal little device. My question to all you Lotus pros is, do you have any tips/advice for getting higher temp vapor without combusting? I really struggle with this. I get amazing huge tasty clouds for the first 2-3 hits, then once the material gets golden brown there's little to no vapor, then instant combustion. I run it through glass so I'm able to see the dirty cloud before inhaling it, but you folks know everything will taste like crap until you do a proper iso soak/clean. With my vapman (or ascent even) I easily get (nearly) coffee coloured material every time, this is what I'm aiming for with the lotus.

I'll try and explain my current technique, and maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I use 1 lotus scoop of ground material and the recommended size flame on my torch lighter. Then, I pre-heat for about 3 seconds before gently inhale while moving the flame in small circles around the middle of the cap. Once I see the orange glow on the cap, and vapor starting to fill the glass, I will slightly increase my draw speed and continue to heat/draw for a few more seconds before clearing the glass then stirring the contents of the bowl. This works remarkably well for the first few pulls, but as I said, once the material gets to a "certain point" it becomes very risky to try and get anything else out of it. I still get well medicated, but not as much as I would from the same amount of material in the vapman.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

Two things I'd suggest

1) If you have the replacement kit, try taking off the top hotplate and confirm the inner metal plate is still firmly held in place with the outer trim ring (The vape works even if the trim ring came loose, but i won't properly distribute the heat around the bowl).

2) Stop waiting and watching the red glow - instad practice your timing. I usually point my torch at the hotplate for a few seconds only slightly moving it in a circle to get it "pre-heated", then I pull the torch back slightly and start inhaling slowly until I see the vapor forming. From here I usually start playing with my flame's distance and rotation speed around the hotplate - pull further back if I feel the vapor getting too hot, push closer if I feel vapor production thinning out.

Another thing to note - depending on how fast you hit your Lotus, it may stay partially preheated between puffs - I tend to preheat less after a few loads because I risk combustion otherwise

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
2) Stop waiting and watching the red glow - instead practice your timing.

For myself once I learned what Ratchett said above and stopped looking for the 'red dot' I effectually Fucked combustion for the most part when using the lotus... Now if only i could stop myself from reaching for just 'one more hit' outta a bowl I'll be golden.
:D

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Clean bowl walls first. Soak in ISO or use PBW. If using PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash), you might not have to remove the screen. Does that good of job in nooks and crannies. Of course, no re-claim but environmentally friendly!
I use a safety pin with the end bent .2-.4 mm to form a small hook. Used pliers to initially bend it.
Can use to grab the screen to get it started and remove. Torch clean.
Hope this helps.

stef351

Welcome!

Two things I'd suggest

1) If you have the replacement kit, try taking off the top hotplate and confirm the inner metal plate is still firmly held in place with the outer trim ring (The vape works even if the trim ring came loose, but i won't properly distribute the heat around the bowl).

2) Stop waiting and watching the red glow - instad practice your timing. I usually point my torch at the hotplate for a few seconds only slightly moving it in a circle to get it "pre-heated", then I pull the torch back slightly and start inhaling slowly until I see the vapor forming. From here I usually start playing with my flame's distance and rotation speed around the hotplate - pull further back if I feel the vapor getting too hot, push closer if I feel vapor production thinning out.

Another thing to note - depending on how fast you hit your Lotus, it may stay partially preheated between puffs - I tend to preheat less after a few loads because I risk combustion otherwise

Good advice here, thanks. I have been slowly but surely getting better extraction. Something I've noticed is, the higher temp vapor doesn't appear to be as thick as the vapor from the first few pulls. I was trying to gauge whether or not I was getting vapor visually (milking up my bong) but it's simply much thinner after the first 2 hits (may be related to my material?). Using your suggestion of working on the timing I have been getting closer to my goal. I am unable to sense any difference in temperature in my mouth since it's going through cold water beforehand. I've also learned to be a little less, let's say, greedy. Once he material has become close to what I consider to be spent I will stop. The lotus uses so little material I'll just reload if I'm not yet satisfied rather than risk scorching. Thanks again for all the tips, this is such a great community!

Top Bottom