1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The Lotus Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Max Jitter, Sep 24, 2010.

1. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

When getting the temp up there so the load turns darker brown, I get all the charring on one side of the bowl...not everywhere, and not in the middle, but off to one side.

Anyone else notice this?

Vlampo and steama like this.
  2. Coiler

Coiler New Member

After reading for over two years, I decided to register and let you all know I ordered a Lotus+WPA, thanks to this wonderful forum. :)
    My only experience with vaping, is an original iolite which served me quite well for over 2 years. Sadly it broke down, so I started looking for a reasonably priced replacement.
    I already had my mind set on a MFLB, 'till I started reading about that weird jet lighter powered vape...
    For less than 140 euro's, I can have a portable butane powered (the one thing I really liked about the iolite) convection vape, made of high grade materials (no more plastic, yay!) and two different glass vaporpath's. One is a glass J-hook, and the other one is this hand percolator/bubbler:
    [​IMG]
    I hope it goes well with the Lotus and I can't wait to try it out!

If only verdampftnochmal would send me an order confirmation email with their bank details, so I can throw my money at 'em!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  3. natural farmer

natural farmer god is in the neurons...

It only happens to me if I draw to hard… ;)

4. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I get an off centered darkening also. Interesting

5. Phizix

Phizix Well-Known Member

A trick I use now to keep the charring even, especially when trying to clear a full bowl in the Lotus WPA in 1 hit...

I spin the top of the lotus using my finger/fingernail on the stir stick while holding the lighter further back than I normally would. You can instantly feel more heat when you slowly spin the top and by holding the lighter further back I haven't combusted with this method yet although I'm sure its easily possible if you are not careful. My abv comes out very uniform and fully extracted now with less stirring.

6. stickstones

stickstones Wasted Staff Member

good tips...

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  7. Vapodudule

Vapodudule Well-Known Member

The Charred spots come from radiation of some steady flame. The way you oriented it can reveal some disymetry in spots too.

SSVUN~YAH, vorrange and steama like this.
  8. Gray Area

Gray Area Well-Known Member

I've just caved in and pulled the trigger on one of these.
    Long stem, natural vapour cap and WPA :tup:

Quick question... Is any butane with the "near zero impurities" mark on it suitable for the torch lighter??
    Thanks.

SSVUN~YAH, jojo0420 and steama like this.
  9. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

I also learned very quickly that the only way I can get a lung buster, without over-toasting the material, is to spin the top.

Without spinning the cap, I definitely see hotspots and uneven vaping even on medium pulls. While I like the stock stem, I find it very helpful to see the vapor as it develops because it is easy to see when it is getting too hot.

Unfortunately, I still over roast way more bud than I would like. Over roasted to the point that I throw out about 1 out of 8 bowls, rather than putting it in my ABV cooking supply.

....that reminds me; I have some coffee cake to eat!

SSVUN~YAH and steama like this.
  10. steama

steama Well-Known Member

You nailed it as an explanation I think.
    Congrats on your new Lotus!

There are many good brands of butane for your lighter. I have used Vector 14 but I prefer Colibri Premium in all my jet flame lighters.

Gray Area, SSVUN~YAH and vorrange like this.
  11. jojo0420

jojo0420 Cloud Chaser

I have noticed this as well. It seems to be product of the torch angle and where I aim it.

Moving the torch around a little while heating helps this. I mean a little, like drawing a circle around the center point with the tip.

I've also noticed a more vertical torch angle helps decrease the localized scorching.

12. SSVUN~YAH

SSVUN~YAH You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...

That puppy will work you might want to check this out unless s/h is outrageous. http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/new-4-arm-perc-glass-percolator-glass-hammer/183729594.html

Slip ya some high temp silicone over the wpa and you won't have a problem with the stir stick, and won't need a silly carbon adapter.

If you guys are having problems charring you can also just try covering the screen completely. Less is more! You will save plenty and get a more uniform abv for sure! I can get amazing rips with very low quantity. Stay vaked my friends!!!

13. Coiler

Coiler New Member

Not so sure about that "sexy toy" in the description though... :uhoh: Thanks for making me look to that thing differently :p
    Sucking milky white vapor from it might make things a little too awkward... Thanks for the link anyways :D

Never thought about the possibility of the stirring stick being in the way. Maybe I can bend it a little or just clip it off. I'll see when it gets here.

Fenton Mewley and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  14. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

Colibri Premium transformed my Honest Jet flame from a sputtering piece of junk to a reliable and powerful tool. And it's a much better deal than some of the other premiums.

Gray Area and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  15. AdventurousMoustache

AdventurousMoustache Well-Known Member

the amount of times I've dropped the WPA is absurd, forever grateful that it's SS

ataxian and SSVUN~YAH like this.
  16. sherb

sherb Active Member

I'd like a Ti one, if only for the bling factor.

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  17. ataxian

ataxian California

Me too!

18. herbivore21

herbivore21 Well-Known Member

TI also doesn't conduct heat as well. I'd like a TI one so I don't burn my hand changing vapes right after a session lol

ataxian likes this.
  19. natural farmer

I don't believe anymore that angle and radiation does anything to the load. There is very little radiation going on. You can make the hot plate red hot without drawing and you won't notice any heating of the load. Imo only tunnelling due to a fast draw can cause centre or side charring...

filteredhead and grokit like this.
  20. Fenton Mewley

Fenton Mewley A man in search of cloudier pastures

Didn't see it mentioned, but have you burped it? Get a pen, press on the intake valve to release any vapor out. If you lighter is spraying butane everywhere, that should help. You might also need a tip. The Neon 5x I got cannot go directly into the Honest or else it sprays.

For those of you that are dropping the WPA, just press the WPA harder into the joint (or maybe my magnets are just super weak?). I've literally shook the downstem + WPA upside down vigorously and it didn't fly off until like the 5th second. Really tight seal, great stuff. Keck clips work too if that's viable.

For those of you interested in a wooden pipe, I've been in contact with a pipemaker. I gave them the specifications for the bowl to act as a female joint for the WPA, and they agreed to make one. They said it should not take more than 3 weeks. More info to come then (if my specs are right, if it works, pics, ect.).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  21. natural farmer

Just make sure he makes the ID of the stem as open as the aluminum stem while he is at it… ;) :tup:

22. Fenton Mewley

Thanks for the reminder. I saw their pipes on etsy, and I saw a couple stems with great looking IDs.

Just sent the email to confirm. Fortunately we just agreed on the design yesterday, so that shouldn't be a problem.

SSVUN~YAH likes this.
  23. natural farmer

Is it the pipe maker we posted above? With the Wizard and White Wizard designs?

24. Fenton Mewley

DGGPipes.

I said that I would like for the pipe to stand up by itself, so the design is a little different than the pipes in the shop.

SSVUN~YAH and natural farmer like this.
  25. natural farmer

The angles of the bowls seem too steep from their pics on easy...

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors