• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The kief collection

farscaper

Old time coffee grinders look like a sharp stone crank grinder, with a lil catch drawer... Ive seen a few new ones like that as well. Tje one I used to have was a mr coffee. It could turn brick to dust!

I'll snap a pic of it, its a no-name one I got at the supermarket for $25.
It is electric (I assumed all coffee grinders were?)

farscaper,

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!
I have a Pollen box and I will sometimes toss it in the freezer with stems and shake it around if I want more kief. I get a tiny bit of leftover from the stems, but it also works to agitate the bud thus not needing to use coins. I'm not even doing it for fear of the metal scrapings, but also because it works (not as well as the coins obviously, but does the job) I realize that this may be harder/not worth it to do in a grinder, but just thought I'd add my :2c:.

Edit: Also has to do with the fact that I have a 2 Piece grinder.

MikeInMiami

I recommend anyone and everyone to use a coffee grinder, the amount of kief it collects at the top is simply staggering. Especially when compared to conventional hand grinders. I personally use a 10$ mr. Coffee I picked up at a local department store. Best 10$ I ever spent lol.

MikeInMiami,

ichibaneye

Vapriot, Traveler & Vaporizer/ing lover!
I'm curious about what scale he is using in that video? It looked to be accurate to 0.01g?

ichibaneye,

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
I love kief and collect it - but only what falls off and would be lost if not collected. I never use methods that take it away from what I am currently medicating w/. Example: I would twist a hoot over a screen and collect what would be wasted, I would not work the flowers over the screen to get more.

Snake Plissken,
Reactions: grokit

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!
I love kief and collect it - but only what falls off and would be lost if not collected. I never use methods that take it away from what I am currently medicating w/. Example: I would twist a hoot over a screen and collect what would be wasted, I would not work the flowers over the screen to get more.
I also do not agitate flowers to get kief anymore. I only did that for a bit to experiment. I have a pollen box, but what I do is when it is empty of flowers I put stems in it and put it in the freezer for 30 mins like I mentioned in my post above. I don't shake the stems in the box too hard or for too long (maybe~30 seconds, I've never timed it really), but enough to see results. I get a tiny bit from the stems and then it works to "clean" the screen in a way or knock down kief that may be stuck in the screen area.

ichibaneye

Vapriot, Traveler & Vaporizer/ing lover!
I recommend anyone and everyone to use a coffee grinder, the amount of kief it collects at the top is simply staggering. Especially when compared to conventional hand grinders. I personally use a 10$ mr. Coffee I picked up at a local department store. Best 10$ I ever spent lol.

While somewhat true now those fine crystals also have more plant matter mixed in with because of the coffee grinder.

When collecting your materials or making extracts its all about purity.

The less plant material in your goods the better the taste, smell, purity, vape and smoke.

farscaper

I think the freeze and coin help in my case because the trichs might be to sticky and end up just stuck on the screen. I have a santa cruz shredder and it has a pretty fine screen. I have seen it get a buildup when I have only ground and shaken at room temp with no coin. More of the material in general in making in through after a freeze with a coin cause it doesnt end up caked all over! + and +

farscaper,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
While somewhat true now those fine crystals also have more plant matter mixed in with because of the coffee grinder.

When collecting your materials or making extracts its all about purity.

The less plant material in your goods the better the taste, smell, purity, vape and smoke.
You'd be surprised how pure some coffee grinder keif is.

The stuff that accumulates in the lid of mine is blonder and finer than any of the stuff I get from my 4pce screen. I always consider it my premium keif.

Frederick McGuire,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Finally, the posts that started it all. The following 9 posts have been moved from the Grinder thread.

Last edited:
pakalolo,
Reactions: 421

Yoosh

I've been considering it but I don't use kief often enough to justify it yet. Pressing kief just turns it into hash right?

Yoosh,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I've been considering it but I don't use kief often enough to justify it yet. Pressing kief just turns it into hash right?
Depends. If the kief is trichome heads + stalks it just becomes pressed kief. If it's mostly trich heads and you apply heat and a LOT of pressure you get hash. I don't like pressing my kief either.

Yoosh

Yeah I have hash and it's a pain to vape. I'm honestly not even sure how to do so effectively.

Yoosh

yeah that's what ive done but the underdog is the only one of my vapes ive had any minor success with using this technique. i usually just reach for kief if i need a turbo boost cuz it works/tastes much better imo.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!

Depends. If the kief is trichome heads + stalks it just becomes pressed kief. If it's mostly trich heads and you apply heat and a LOT of pressure you get hash. I don't like pressing my kief either.

I still combust hashes (a life long ritual as bud just wasnt available in my city 'back in the day' since it was known as only a 'hash town'... that and I continue to enjoy the ritual ; ). I use a home-made press frame with an APE press mold and a 4-ton bottle jack. If I wrap my kief that I dry ice extracted roughly (meaning heads & stalks, and not dedicated buds) in a piece of cellophane 'tight', taped, and a couple holes poked in it (to not explode the package, btdt hehe), apply the jack pressure FULL and haze the mold with a torch enough to be on the verge of hot (not glowing), and leave it under pressure for two hrs minimum. I end up with a hard black'ish sticky on the outside product when finished.

Jethro

Yeah I have hash and it's a pain to vape. I'm honestly not even sure how to do so effectively.

Hot knives! I'm an older guy who has embraced vaping and a lot people I know who are not tech savoy at all tell me, "oh, I have never vaped" then I ask them if they ever used hot knives to "smoke" hash. If they have I tell them that in fact they have vaped (probably with a modicum of combustion as well, but whatever).

Jethro,
Reactions: Yoosh

hd_rider

I have a bit of kief that I've collected over the past year or so in my chromium crusher grinder. I estimate I have around 2 to 4 grams, based on pictures I've seen on the net, but I know that is not scientific at all and nothing more than a guess on my part. I do not have a digital scale so I have no way to weigh it.

I would like to make some cannabutter with it and I've scoured the net a bit to find out the proper mix / ratio of kief to butter but there isn't a whole lot out there. From what I could find, it seems that 1 to 1.5 grams of kief per stick of butter seems to be a good starting ratio. Can anyone confirm that or let me know their experiences in making cannabutter solely with kief?

Can I use measuring spoons to add the correct amount of kief to butter or do I really need a digital scale to properly weigh it?

Thanks for any advice.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I have a bit of kief that I've collected over the past year or so in my chromium crusher grinder. I estimate I have around 2 to 4 grams, based on pictures I've seen on the net, but I know that is not scientific at all and nothing more than a guess on my part. I do not have a digital scale so I have no way to weigh it.

I would like to make some cannabutter with it and I've scoured the net a bit to find out the proper mix / ratio of kief to butter but there isn't a whole lot out there. From what I could find, it seems that 1 to 1.5 grams of kief per stick of butter seems to be a good starting ratio. Can anyone confirm that or let me know their experiences in making cannabutter solely with kief?

Can I use measuring spoons to add the correct amount of kief to butter or do I really need a digital scale to properly weigh it?

Thanks for any advice.

Old stoners know that a dollar bill weighs about a gram, so all you need is a simple balance. A ruler balanced across a pencil works. I can't help you with your ratio, though.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker

Thanks for any advice.
For ratios and recipes try badkatscannapharm.com.

DieHard,
Top Bottom