The HI

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Ordering from Alan is not being discouraged. He's just a single craftsman so it takes a while for him to get through the list. Not too late for you to get on it.

And I have a question. I was just looking at the website and I'd like to know what wood the HI is made from on the main page. My HI is done and should be on the way soon but I missed seeing that picture. The wood is so interesting.

Don't know what species , but I agree that it's spectacular wood :drool:
Maybe a spalted burr of some kind?

NickDlow

Log Hog
Ordering from Alan is not being discouraged. He's just a single craftsman so it takes a while for him to get through the list. Not too late for you to get on it.

And I have a question. I was just looking at the website and I'd like to know what wood the HI is made from on the main page. My HI is done and should be on the way soon but I missed seeing that picture. The wood is so interesting.

I think it's a cream colored Buckeye Burl. I love Buckeye!! I have 4 buckeye log vapes, including one of my Hi's.

Walter Bishop

Saw a few photos of my big leaf maple burl HI yesterday. Alan was nice enough to send me a preview of the completed unit while he continues working his magic on a few stems and WonGs for me. So beautiful! Can't wait to have it in hand and post some pics up for you JedHI's! So close now, I can almost taste the vapor...

NickDlow

Log Hog
tLh7eYv.jpg

Hers and his

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I have a couple questions for anyone who has used the turbo tube. Does ground material get stuck inside the tube? Is it distinctly different than a ss/glass roasting tube?
The material does not stick to the silicone tube, only the screen can get dirty. The needle stuck in the end of a bamboo skewer tool works great for picking the screen clean to ensure good air flow. The silicone material makes an air tight seal, so there is no leakage of cooler room air. It allows for hotter extractions at a given voltage. Using 8.5mm basket screens inside of the 10mm mouthpiece tube allows you to roast in glass/ss and only use the silicone for a seal. This allows for smaller roasting sizes as well.
My favorite use of silicone is for Slide-a-Bowl tubes. It only provides a seal and does not see heat. That is the roasting tube I use most often.

@boon - Thanks for posting the photos. Looks very nice. Hope you are enjoying the flavor of the glass heater cover.

@Andreaerdna - Glad you are enjoying the ss/silicone tube. Thanks for the photo.

@little maggie - That is some spalted afzelia burl and is the unit I made for @Ed's TnT

@NickDlow - Thanks for posting the photo. That VK is so nice.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
So the screen goes more near the tip of the glass, and the silicone goes over that just enough to make a seal with the heater cover?

Diggy Smalls,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
So the screen goes more near the tip of the glass, and the silicone goes over that just enough to make a seal with the heater cover?
That is correct. You can use either end of the glass tube. It also allows you to move the flower farther away from the heat source. If you put the screen in the nipple end of the tube, then you don't even need the silicone. The nipple end of the glass tube fits to the end of the ss heater cover like a ball and socket joint, but it requires two hands since you have to hold it to the end of the ss heater cover. You can let a little room air in to manually control the temperature by tilting the roasting tube.
I find that the less glass / metal mass there is in the end of the tube, the more heat is available for roasting. If the flower is in contact with the glass tube, it will only vaporize if the glass tube is also at vaporizing temperature. Stirring is generally required to achieve an even roast. Using a small mass of ss screen to surround the flower will allow it to quickly and uniformly reach vaporizing temperature. That is why capturing the flower between two basket screens eliminates the need for stirring.

Walter Bishop

Just wanted to drop a few pics of my new Big Leaf Maple Burl HI and stems as well as my Bamboo HI w/ hybrid core, and take a minute to thank Alan for all his talent, work, and patience throughout the process in answering all my questions very thoroughly. It was really a true pleasure to have a custom made made piece turned, and I think the results speak for themselves. Really some beautiful pieces of functioning art. And man the function! Still getting acclimated, but I will say had an amazing time last night as I started my JedHi training! :D

Thank you again Alan, this was all so worth the wait!

Last edited:

DarkSm0ke

Just wanted to drop a few pics of my new Big Leaf Maple Burl HI and stems as well as my Bamboo HI w/ hybrid core, and take a minute to thank Alan for all his talent, work, and patience throughout the process in answering all my questions very thoroughly. It was really a true pleasure to have a custom made made piece turned, and I think the results really speak for themselves. Really some beautiful pieces of functioning art. And man the function! Still getting acclimated, but I will say had an amazing time last night as I started my JedHi training! :D

Thank you again Alan, this was all so worth the wait!

Wow super awesome! Work of art for sure! @Alan you are the man! Can't wait for my number to come up. Thank you for sharing @Walter Bishop. Do you find there is much difference between your bamboo with Hibrid core and the Big Leaf Maple Burl Hi? The stems are pretty sweet too!

Walter Bishop

Wow super awesome! Work of art for sure! @Alan you are the man! Can't wait for my number to come up. Thank you for sharing @Walter Bishop. Do you find there is much difference between your bamboo with Hibrid core and the Big Leaf Maple Burl Hi? The stems are pretty sweet too!

Thanks for the kind words. Alan is absolutely the man, his work is just unreal. Hope your number comes up soon!

Regarding the bamboo glass core, haven't had a chance to use her yet. Everything just got in yesterday so only messed with the BLMB so far. I'll be sure to report in though as soon as I do. What I can say about the BLMB is that it's very powerful! I've run other logs I own at 12v and slightly above typically. But found out real quick last night that 12v was way too hot for me with the HI. So moved her down to 11.7v. Never run a log under 12v and had it been so powerful before. Really loving it!

DarkSm0ke

Thanks for the kind words. Alan is absolutely the man, his work is just unreal. Hope your number comes up soon!

Regarding the bamboo glass core, haven't had a chance to use her yet. Everything just got in yesterday so only messed with the BLMB so far. I'll be sure to report in though as soon as I do. What I can say about the BLMB is that it's very powerful! I've run other logs I own at 12v and slightly above typically. But found out real quick last night that 12v was way too hot for me with the HI. So moved her down to 11.7v. Never run a log under 12v and had it been so powerful before. Really loving it!

That sounds unreal @Walter Bishop! I like the VVRPS look. Everything looks so organic, with a touch of old school hi-tech. I am hoping I am on the short list for the bamboo HI. I prefer Hibrid core, but will take SS core if that is what he has around. My e-nano is getting finicky and I want to make sure I have another log vape if the nano has to go in for repair. I am also on the long list for an exotic wood HI. No problem waiting for that, as I know you can't rush fine art and craftsmanship, and others are in line way ahead of me. It is going to be a great day when that number comes up.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
That sounds unreal @Walter Bishop! I like the VVRPS look. Everything looks so organic, with a touch of old school hi-tech. I am hoping I am on the short list for the bamboo HI. I prefer Hibrid core, but will take SS core if that is what he has around. My e-nano is getting finicky and I want to make sure I have another log vape if the nano has to go in for repair. I am also on the long list for an exotic wood HI. No problem waiting for that, as I know you can't rush fine art and craftsmanship, and others are in line way ahead of me. It is going to be a great day when that number comes up.
Don't hesitate or sweat the wait... get on the HI train!!! Perfection!!!!

DarkSm0ke

Don't hesitate or sweat the wait... get on the HI train!!! Perfection!!!!

Thank you @Snappo, the train is rolling into my town early next week! Alan just confirmed he is sending out my Bamboo HI and accessories tomorrow!

I will post a photo next week :clap:

When it is time for my exotic wood build, I will definitely PM you for your help!

Super Stoked!

DarkSm0ke

Got a new edition to the family! Bamboo HI with HIbrid heating core, bamboo roasting tubes, and several glass roasting tubes. Sorry the photo is kind of crappy. If anyone has any tips or tricks they could throw my way, I would be very appreciative. I tried it once, and the flavor was fresh, like licking a sticky bud! I used the double basket method Alan prefers. This weekend I am going to get into some heavy JedHi training!

oHTgnXO.jpg

Mod can you fix image link for me please, and PM me and let me know what I am doing wrong? I always need help loading images :(

Modnote: Image link fixed

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@Walter Bishop - Thanks for posting the photos. Glad you are happy.

@DarkSm0ke - Glad it arrived safely and you are enjoying the flavor.

@grokit - Thanks. I am mounting a 25 watt buck boost board to a piece of wood or bamboo that has a power socket and power jack attached. I fasten the wires to the circuit board, added a micro knob for adjusting the voltage, and four no slip feet on the bottom. The wood base is 2" x 1.75". They will accept any DC voltage source (center positive) from 1 to 25. The output voltage can be adjusted between 0.5 and 25. A DC extension cord is required to connect to the HI. The input socket and output jack can be located on any of the sides. I have another version of the micro voltage controller that also has an amperage meter w/ push button controls, but it is a buck only board so a supply with a voltage higher than 12 is required.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
@Walter Bishop - Thanks for posting the photos. Glad you are happy.

@DarkSm0ke - Glad it arrived safely and you are enjoying the flavor.

@grokit - Thanks. I am mounting a 25 watt buck boost board to a piece of wood or bamboo that has a power socket and power jack attached. I fasten the wires to the circuit board, added a micro knob for adjusting the voltage, and four no slip feet on the bottom. The wood base is 2" x 1.75". They will accept any DC voltage source (center positive) from 1 to 25. The output voltage can be adjusted between 0.5 and 25. A DC extension cord is required to connect to the HI. The input socket and output jack can be located on any of the sides. I have another version of the micro voltage controller that also has an amperage meter w/ push button controls, but it is a buck only board so a supply with a voltage higher than 12 is required.
Sometimes I think that Alan of HI fame is the reincarnate of Michael Angelo... pure genius!!!!!:bowdown::nod::rockon:

mnd99

If all goes well, I hope to enjoy the flavor of the glass heater cover soon. I have been wanting to enjoy Alan's work for a long time now.

I went with the glass heater cover because I was told that it's better for flavor and someone even told me it's an "healthier" option. Trying to avoid inhaling as few metals as possible, I guess :D

Last edited:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I'm not sure about healthier. The glass heater cover will lower the overall temperature, according to what I've read. Longer sessions will be had

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
sumac hybrid + lilac tube = <3

IMG_2586.jpg

This is incredibly beautiful. I signed up for the list a lifetime ago, am I still "in" or do I have to start over? My Volcano doesn't work great lately, it's loud and feels large and clunky as I declutter and downsize. It's still great, of course, but it lacks vibe; utilitarian it is.

The HI is so discreet and interesting, seeing your post makes me want to go island hopping so bad!

NickDlow

Log Hog
This is incredibly beautiful. I signed up for the list a lifetime ago, am I still "in" or do I have to start over? My Volcano doesn't work great lately, it's loud and feels large and clunky as I declutter and downsize. It's still great, of course, but it lacks vibe; utilitarian it is.

The HI is so discreet and interesting, seeing your post makes me want to go island hopping so bad!

I believe my wait took just around a year and a half. And is was worth every second!

I believe the wait is shorter for a bamboo Hi too.

Walter Bishop

I'd say if you're on the list, then you're on the list. I sent an email December 2014, and received a reply from Alan that I was on the list. Then no other contact until a year and a half later when my name came up this past June. It would seem whatever Alan's system, it works well.

And believe me, your HI will be well worth the wait!

Top Bottom