1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

The HI

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by Alan, Dec 10, 2011.

1. SF Giant

SF Giant Reluctant vape collector

So if i understand correctly these have much more free airflow than a traditional log and have the heating capability to keep up with a quicker draw speed? If this is the case it may be time for me to upgrade logs
  2. THCMuscle

THCMuscle Well-Known Member

And I JUST bought an RZ, fuuu. This thing looks perfect.
  3. SF Giant

SF Giant Reluctant vape collector

Me too lol
  4. Soulhunter

Soulhunter Well-Known Member

Yes, this thing realy looks perfect ;)
    So smal, and with no heater core I am guessing no heat up time. No more than a couple minutes for the ceramik heater to get hot that is.

Is this vaporizer also designed to be plugged inn 24/7?

Edit : Lol, short time memory loss anyone :p
    Well, this thing is going to be my first log vape :) I love how smal it is, akd the short heat up time makes it the perfect vape to bring over to friends.
    Thank u for makin this vape :)
  5. Ed's TnT

Ed's TnT Woodsman Manufacturer

Very nice Alan!
  6. momofthegoons

momofthegoons vapor accessory addict Staff Member

placetime, I think you've got Alan pegged! :lol: One thing I've learned about him is that he is never satisfied with how things are. Something can always be made better and safer. And look what we have here! Great work Alan! I'm looking forward to trying this myself.
  7. DrPiff

DrPiff Born To Rage

Looks like I'll be picking up my first log. This thing is looking all types of awesome.

Will any kind of warranty be offered?
  8. J.R.R.Tokin'

J.R.R.Tokin' Wych Doctor Manufacturer

Looking good Alan. Keep up the innovations. At this rate of development you'll have them making tea soon!
  9. weedemon

weedemon enthusiast

yeah man I think it's great you have taken an existing vape and made it into something innovative and fresh.

5 min heat up time on a log vape, with no cooling from continuous use? ?! haha very nice man!

also like it can be made out of any wood now too.
  10. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

Fantastic work.
    If you guys think that Alan just whipped up some tubes for roasting herb, you are very wrong
    Alans tube designs are a result of much innovation, alteration, and trial and error!
    Keep your eyes open, for an upcoming video about Alan's Roasting Tubes!
  11. al bundy

al bundy Vaporist

Looks real nice, how's the abv come out?
    Light,dark? Basically when the stem is done is there anything left?
    I don't like to save abv. I love the short heat up time.
    And the size any smaller and we could just hold the heating core. :peace:
  12. Alan

Alan Master JedHI Manufacturer

Thank you everyone. Placetime is pretty close to how I think. I do like to take things to the extreme sometimes to see what will happen. Safely of course. You just never know until you try. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks DRFiff. The warranty will be the same as with the Toasty Top. Limited Lifetime. If I broke it, I will fix it. If you broke it, I will still fix it but it will cost you.

They sort of make tea / coffee now. The ABV is much like roast coffee. I have even used it to make coffee in my Aeropress. Not much effect as everything had been roasted out.

Hoping for some good light today.
  13. placetime

placetime Well-Known Member

I look forward to it. I'd love to see a Vitolo video about those, as I'm sure others here would too. :)
    :peace:
  14. darkrom

darkrom Great Scott!

Cool. Any major fundamental differences between this and the Underdog?
  15. biojuggernaut

biojuggernaut Snob

Replaceable heating element and little charring of the wood due to island design.
  16. mistergyro

mistergyro Well-Known Member

these look great! would love to see a video
  17. Alan

Here is a video I took this morning using a Turbo Tube in my new MIO. Clouds up quite nicely.

HI Test

As far as fundamental differences with the Dog. I don't believe that the outer sleeve on the Dog gets hot enough to char the wood. Dave's design has that covered. No worries there.
    The main difference is there are no star washers.
  18. THCMuscle

THCMuscle Well-Known Member

I'm impressed. :o
  19. tuscan tins

tuscan tins Well-Known Member

Wow, that's excellent! I'm convinced, I'll get one of these once I can pay for it :D.

One quick question TV, how long does one "bowl" (is that what these are called? I'm new to log vapes :p) last? Just one draw? Or is it similar to the PD?
  20. max

max This space available Staff Member

It's a bigger bowl than the PD I believe, so I'd think you'd at least have to use it with a bong to make it a one hit bowl. It'll be a higher temp as well, so that aspect will lower the number of hits required.
  21. Alan

Thanks. The bowls sizes are a little different on my various tube configurations. They all give numerous hits depending upon how full you fill them and how slowly you roast. The Turbo Tube has an adjustable bowl size. Just move the silicone sleeve on the poly tubing to get the screen the distance from the end that you like. The more you load into a bowl, the more likely it will give a harder draw toward the end. As the material breaks down, it becomes finer and finer which fills in all the open air passageways.
    My old style Toasty Tubes are probably comparable in size to the PD. The Turbo Tubes can hold around twice as much. I've never been able to get just one hit out of a tube, unless there is just a very tiny amount of material in it.
  22. AGBeer

AGBeer Lost in Thought

Wow... Now this I dig!

I really do miss my Zap which has been collecting dust since I got 'moved' to the shed. :/ (Take this as a lesson kiddies - compromise is one of the reasons Ive been married so long) :p

The short heat up time, and the look/feel of a direct draw vape is very appealing to me. :p Ive got my eye on this one :D
  23. mrfloopa

mrfloopa Vappy

:o I kept telling myself there's no way that thing is 1-1/2." I even measured it out and thought it was tiny, but that video proved it. And you weren't kidding about whole milk compared to skim. :lol:

Great design, great work, Alan! And I love that your products are all so affordable. If I understood an earlier comment correctly, we could use the stems from other log vapes no problem on this as well? (From the earlier pic, I can't tell if the hole looks big, or if it is just because the unit is so thin.)
  24. Alan

Thanks mrfloopa. I have been enjoying the new glass. It was necessary for testing. The TT, UD, and stainless steel Zap stems will all work with the HI. The PD, WZ, and brass Zap stems may be too small.
  25. steiner666

steiner666 Serial vapist

I like that video, it looks even easier to use with bongs than most logs, which are still pretty damned easy. Which stem type is that with? The turbo tube one you mentioned? Do your toasty tubes fit a (what im guessing is) 14mm joint the same way, by going inside of it and staying there between hits?

Are there any other noticeable difference in usage between the two stem types? I know size of load changes things but i mean like, if the same amount is used in each. Hit density, thoroughness/evenness of extraction, etc

lol do you have your kitties in there with you?

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors