Discontinued The Herbalizer

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I decided to wait on my unit until I was going to be at home to receive it. It's been fun reading through all the feedback so far from you early birds, and also a bit difficult due to the jealousy factor. It's been a few days now since I've had a production unit in my hands and I'm thrilled to say that my opinions on the device are exactly the same as they were when I posted about the pre-production unit. Someone call a road crew because ground has been broken. :D

It is the most technologically advanced vaporizer available while being one of the easiest to use and (in my opinion) most attractive to look at. I have a hard time coming to terms with this being a new company's first vaporizer. It was of course no accident and starts to make sense when you look at the bios of the people behind it, and consider that they worked closely with an engineering firm from conception to production, even moving their office to be next door. This is the result of years of hard work by some really smart, passionate people and well over a million dollars in R&D.

Waiting for vapes to heat up hasn't usually been an issue for me personally. Once you know how they work you tend to plan around that, putting them on timers or leaving them on 24/7. That works well enough for the most part and you get used to it. With that in mind, I'm surprised at how convenient the Herbalizer is for me with its lightning fast halogen heat system. In a way the device sort of becomes transparent because you're never waiting for it, and I'm really enjoying that aspect.

The temperature control is what really had me excited about this thing. Again, not having precise and fast temperature control in vapes wasn't an issue for me in the past. Eterra-style vapes work well at their set temperature and rheostat controlled vapes like the SSV vaporize just fine. As exciting a prospect as digital temperature control is, up until now even the best digitally controlled vapes haven't had highly accurate thermocouples in-airstream directly under the bowl, combined with a heatsource that could adjust itself by hundreds of degrees in seconds.

The Herbalizer's temperature accuracy is already changing the way I think about vaporizing. The confidence in the accuracy and consistency is the difference here. With all the variables present when vaporizing, it's nice to take temperature out of the equation. I've been able to finally escape the psychological need for visible vapor while using lower temperatures, and it's very nice to never worry about scorching the herb at high temperatures. As much as I would have protested before using this device, it really has renewed my appreciation for the significance of temperature control. No more referencing dials and approximate temperatures or waiting and guessing for temperature changes. This thing will surely take my wannabe science experiments to the next level. I even bookmarked this page [vaporpedia link removed due to malware]. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
aB5pDMI.jpg
@vtac Have you used this setup? If so, how harsh was it?

:peace:

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
You know what's crazy? That for years our focus has been the ability to produce "clouds" in order to achieve the appropriate level of medication. Like vtac it wasn't so much the heat up time that caught my eye. Anyone who's had a log has already experienced readily available vapes.

What grabbed my attention was it's ability to cool down quickly.

Remember when I mentioned that all weed isn't created equal? (if you don't remember that's just rude)

Anyways say you've had your Herbie set like my new buddy @ResonantOG at 375, and all of a sudden it starts to fog. In most cases it takes to long for the temp to actually cool you either, spend your load early or your waiting a while.

Not with Herbie. And another thing showing off the machines computer power is the fact that the temperature stays where you want.

I've been trying to find a slip up, and after years of vaping I can't find shit! I also can't find the fucking easter egg. I've even tried getting dressed up and talking nicely to Herbie.. He won't give up shit!

lazylathe

Almost there...
So i was just having a session with Herbie, all loaded up with some amazing DieselXC99!
I decided to attach my Pinnacle WT and rip through that instead of just the whip.

And during the session i noticed that the fan turns on intermittently to maintain Herbies set temp.
Not when attached to a WT would there be any chance of vapour flowing into the machine because of any pressure increase in the tubing?
Just wondering about the possibility of an oily buildup in the unit.

Who knows it could just be my medicated state!
Thank goodness for auto spell correct!! Love my Mac!

EDIT: And Herbie has breathed new life into QWISO extractions for me!
Mine sat in jars for months without being touched, just found they did not work so well in my other vapes.
Decided to try the SS pad and dropped a good dollop of QWISO from ABV, so not too good to start with…
But Herbie shone with vaporizing the whole load, nothing left at all!
No residue just a clean SS pad!
And me feeling good!

Last edited:

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
So i was just having a session with Herbie, all loaded up with some amazing DieselXC99!
I decided to attach my Pinnacle WT and rip through that instead of just the whip.

And during the session i noticed that the fan turns on intermittently to maintain Herbies set temp.
Not when attached to a WT would there be any chance of vapour flowing into the machine because of any pressure increase in the tubing?

Mine sat in jars for months without being touched, just found they did not work so well in my other vapes.
Decided to try the SS pad and dropped a good dollop of QWISO from ABV, so not too good to start with…
And me feeling good!

I bet it's because when using the diffused peace directly injected from Herbie's bowl your not only pulling more, your efficiently removing the heat from herbies body.

I noticed that the other day as well. When running at higher temps if let the little guy stand to long the computer tells Herbie that it's time to regulate and cool it self off.

If one stays on a pattern and say pulls on the Herbalizer every few minutes the fan doesn't kick into that turbo mode that we are hearing.

weedemon

enthusiast
reading the manual that came with it you posted made me chuckle, "Dear Boss..." :D

thx for the pics Vtac! great timing for your review btw. mine comes next week! soooo excited :p

I also wanted to just say, it's nice this vape came with some professional looking instructions. my sub and evo both didn't come with any paperwork. with the evo maybe it's due to being an early adopter. but the sub was a "retail" edition as far as I know...

for this kind of money you kind of expect more though. so I am glad to see the little extras like that put in here.

*edit:

And me feeling good!

change "not" back to "now" then. :p I assume thats an auto also? ;)

also very good call about that. if the fan blows, then the air has to go somewhere right? it will go through the path of least resistance (if there is one of course) sealed in a tube with some backpressure for it to overcome. I would also just build pressure. but i'd guess it's gonna flow somewhere.

I also wanted to comment on how I found it interesting to hear you say that about oils...

as far as I am concerned I have not found a vape that will out perform my Ti pad. and because of that all my vapes can go get fucked if i want to use oils... I'll torch my Ti thank you. got that shit down pat, and prefer not to cross contaminate my glass or pieces when i use oil as i find it changes the taste of things. so for that reason oil only in my lil 100 ml ehle, and flowers for everything else in my collection.

I keep hearing so many exclusive claims about the herbie. you say this vape has you vapin oil again. that excites me. I am skeptical, but will try to remain objectively optimistic to the idea.

Others say this thing gets you higher than the others. (i find this hard to understand, boiled actives are boiled actives... right? but then again while i don't really understand the sub, there is some magic happening there too. similar to the EVO actually.)

I like how vtac pointed out how the herbie works in the same way as other vapes (heat to boil actives). but it's engine actually works in the opposite way. (all other vapes have a thermal mass that retain heat and takes a long time to cool down.) the herbie's heat source is a light bulb that can cool very fast. this means it can get up to temp very fast and also cool down if need be to make lots of tiny adjustments to maintain a stable temp.

this in conjunction to the temp sensor right below the herbs for a truer temp reading also excites me.

Pair those 2 things together and now I can vary my draw while the vape maintains the same temp... god damn... that's cool! can't wait to try this one out.

Last edited:

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I think the power of the halogen bulb coupled with the very accurate temperature sensor is the "trick".

The Aromed also has an halogen bulb but the halogen bulb is not as powerfull and that is the game changer. That is what makes it able to change temps so fast.

Since it can change temps so fast it increases accuracy. Plus, since there is no heat retention that ALSO helps further the quickness in temperature adjusting since the heating element is so powerfull.

About the ability to get you higher, i find that harder to believe.

What i think happens is you lose less terpenes than in other vaporizers because there is virtually no conduction. (The terpenes are very important since they work simbiotically with THC, providing a more robust and powerfull effect.)

Plus, there is something to be said about constant temperature. I find that vapes with a better ability to maintain set temperatures usually have more efficient extractions, meaning you're higher with the same weight in material.

I think the main difference is terpene extraction though.

Just my 2 cents, have not tried the EVO nor the Herbalizer so take that as you will.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I am not sure why folks keep throwing in comparisons to the Cloud and the Sublimator.
There is no comparison.
*The Herbalizer has no wires running to a hand held device that must be paired with a base in order to get the base to temperature, and then there is no balancing act on top of a water piece.
*Nor does it take time to heat up, and then shut off automatically... and it will not crack a center "bamboo" if you are rough with it.
and... in reference to the above two points.. the Herbalizer does not get hot (barely even gets warm) to the touch.

Take it from a guy that has "passed" on other vaporizers.(see my signature!)
In my opinion, there is no basis for comparison, other than higher end pricing.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I am not sure why folks keep throwing in comparisons to the Cloud and the Sublimator.
There is no comparison.
I have a nice setup of vaporizers that meet my needs.

I will add another vaporizer in 2014 to my quiver.

The LSV was the last one and I do love how powerful it is for such a cheap price.

1. CLOUD EVO I was going to get one once they get smooth sailing?
2. SUBLIMATOR would put me in the ER! (looks like it was from the movie "MAD MAX"!)

3. HERBALIZER seems to be HI TECH and I could have some fun with this one! ("2001 SPACE ODYSSEY")

My friend that has one loves his and he has had a few devices.

weedemon

enthusiast
There is no comparison.

I would make the comparison because if I were to think to myself and ask. to date, what are the best vapes I have used? and my answer is those 2. besides that though, they also have a similar price point, north american made/companies, all 3 claim to be a "cut above the rest". had no intentions to offend, but in my mind they are comparable. It won't be till i try a herbie that I will really know any different right?

it is my hope that the herbie will complete my all round needs. by this I mean, from having 2 home vapes that are good for different purposes.

the evo is probably going to be my go to vape when I want to get a smoker to try a good vape and be able to take a good old familiar bong rip.

the herbie has sides to it that I really like the look of. from off to vaping in 10-15 seconds? yes please. sometimes time is important and I don't have much to waste. it sucks having to plan around for this.

From what I have gathered this thing is actually some "next level" stuff. so i look forward to seeing/discovering this. :)

lazylathe

Almost there...
I don't think you can compare the Herbie to any other vape out there.
The closest i can think of would be the Vi-Vape but even they are very far apart.

If i was to compare vapes they would have to be pretty similar in regards to the heater, air path, heat up time, extraction speed and ease of use.
To compare the Herbie to any other vape would be like comparing a 911 Porsche Turbo GT3 to a horse drawn cart! To me it is not fair to compare Herbie to any other vape since it is in a class of it's own at the moment!

Herbie has brains and brawn, more brains than any vape on the market.
The EVO has brawn by the heap loads as i understand but it's temperature is more of a "feel" thing.

Set the Herbie to the desired temp and extract exactly what you need.
The EVO is more generalized in the temp settings and everyones unit is differently calibrated.

I am positive i could hang out with @mvapes and hit his Herbie and it will be exactly the same as hitting mine.
I am pretty sure our EVO's would be different if i set them the same on the dial.

And then there is the 20 seconds or less to vaping that the Herbie brings to the table!
The EVO has varying results as to when it is ready to vape.

I cannot say which one is better yet… My EVO is being shipped on Monday.
Once i have both i will know which one suits me better.
Take note i said "Suits me better", not that one vape is better than the other because they both serve different purposes.

If you are after speed, ease of use, consistency and a totally kick ass vape and also want to feed your inner geek, the Herbie is for you!

vorrange

Vapor.wise
You can compare extraction and efficiency.

And i think the main difference in the EVO's and Herbies temperature control is less about the electronics and more about heat retention.

The advantage of no heat retention is gigantic if you couple that with a powerfull element. It is this same heat retention that makes the extraction different whether you have your unit on for a long time or not.

The 20sec to vape is something that is achieved in many units, not just the Herbalizer. Many flame based units take this long, as well as the Nano or any 7th floor model.

Where the Herbalizer shines in comparison to every other vaporizer seems to be the ability to accurately set a temp and maintain it, as well as changing temperature very fast, all done by the press of the button. This is the ground breaking ability IMO.

Last edited:

ResonantOG

Anyways say you've had your Herbie set like my new buddy @ResonantOG at 375, and all of a sudden it starts to fog. In most cases it takes to long for the temp to actually cool you either, spend your load early or your waiting a while.

Not with Herbie. And another thing showing off the machines computer power is the fact that the temperature stays where you want.

I've been trying to find a slip up, and after years of vaping I can't find shit! I also can't find the fucking easter egg. I've even tried getting dressed up and talking nicely to Herbie.. He won't give up shit!

You mean ramping down in temp and still getting flavor isn't standard?? LOL j/k I actually knew that. Its the most impressive thing about the Herbie is the ability to marathon one's bowl of goodness due to the extraction at precise temps.

I am a noob people, but I propose we introduce some more terms to use with Herbie. Herbie vapes, yes, but really... Herbie extracts cannabinoids. Don't believe me? Try and some goodness left in your duff/abv. No dice. Herbie done extracted the shit out of it.

And on the easter egg, I could share but it would be a bit of a let down. If anyone wants a hint, pm me and I will give one. Or if the whole board wants one, I can think up a clever way to drop a hint.

Last edited:

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I've cut the chord!

So I cut Herbies tubing like slim mentioned and it got even better...hard to believe right? Seriously, I'm pretty anal (giggidy)about my vape station. The less clutter the better.

On another note, a buddy gave me some pure crystalline menthol and I found that when grinding a small bit with my medicine (:brow:)it makes for an awesome low temp experience. Please note - a little goes a long way!

I helps soothe your bronchie making medicating with a cold, or asthma, or anyone for that matter a little easier.

ResonantOG

Ok. So I just got higher than I have ever been. I don't think I want or need to be this high again, but its nice to know Herbie can do it.

And this coming from a guy who only dabbed for his 3rd time a couple of days ago. Dig? Its the smallness of my tolerance that gives room for this test. I mean I was high as fuck, among friends, and giggling my ass off after those dabs.

But this. This is being higher than that on flower. I have a passion for flower that is beyond anything any concentrate even could provide, due to form factor. And: I am a very religious man, like Nacho. And I mean that in every hilarious, sincere, horribly painful, and existential way I can share that. I fear nothing. I am terrified.

But right now, I am grateful to God himself for the blue sky, the open window, the swaying trees, the beats going in the living room, my kids playing, my wife dancing, the cold draft in the house, my stupid broken brain, this Herbalizer, the hands that grew this Sour Diesel down at PgP... and you FC.

Have a fucking awesome Sunday. I really mean it.

grokit

well-worn member
I would agree that the only comparable vape to herbie is the vivape.
But that would be like comparing a cloud to an lsv, they are simply on different levels.
Combusting friends still love the sublimator, but nobody is unimpressed with herbie!

I'm starting to accept the fact that I won't see big clouds at the temperatures I want to vape at, and that's okay. I'm constantly amazed at how medicated this thing gets me while using very little product. I loaded .05g of Chemdawg and had six or seven hits with the whip, and I'm ripped. That's another thing, I thought I was going to be using the bags mainly, but I've actually come to prefer the whip. A bent-neck GonG adapter for the whip would be awesome.

lazylathe

Almost there...
The 20sec to vape is something that is achieved in many units, not just the Herbalizer. Many flame based units take this long, as well as the Nano or any 7th floor model.

My Nano does nothing at 20 seconds, even when turned on full.
I don't think it is fair to compare flame to electrical units.
Flick your bic and you have instant heat…

I get what you mean but i still feel it is not comparing apples to apples.
They are all vapes but out of the 12 vapes that i have owned, the Herbie beats all of them with hands and feet tied behind it's back.

Just my :2c:

Have an awesome Herbie filled Sunday!

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I'm starting to accept the fact that I won't see big clouds at the temperatures I want to vape at, and that's okay. I'm constantly amazed at how medicated this thing gets me while using very little product. I loaded .05g of Chemdawg and had six or seven hits with the whip, and I'm ripped. That's another thing, I thought I was going to be using the bags mainly, but I've actually come to prefer the whip. A bent-neck GonG adapter for the whip would be awesome.
Like this? http://www.ioffer.com/i/18mm-vaporizer-glass-adapter-attachment-made-in-usa-15-533450412 Could probably be sourced cheaper...

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
This could also count as evidence that other vaporizers have been giving you misinformation about the temperatures that they were actually vaping at.
In the past, your 375º may have actually been 390!
I would have bought this one today however I bought a new piece of Glass. I just got through explaining my new found glass addiction. Now I have not yet been cured from VAS!

I don't need a HERBIE I want one!

Top Bottom