Discontinued The Herbalizer

ResonantOG

This appears to be a pretty efficient vaporizer, but I'd be curious to hear tips about how to decrease the extraction time (stronger lungs?) and increase cloud production (higher temps)? Also, just a side note, is anyone experiencing a rubbery-typical-electronics-like smell near the electrical cord? I'm guessing (hoping?) it's normal, but I figured I'd mention it. Only noticeable when you hold the unit close to your face.

I find that inhaling a little slower on the whip, at say 380+ will give me a crazy-ass face-melting cloud of doom. It will also over-medicate me to the point of uselessness.

I, too, feel that I don't have the bowl packing thing down exactly right. I feel kinda odd dumping such blonde ABV compared to my MFLB or Pax. But then the sheer power of the Herbalizer kicks in, and I am too high to care! Its clearly extracting the shit out of my herbs!

Day 3 still no smoke! No desire. Herbie might be converting me for good. Even had my best buddy over yesterday, busted out this joint I had... then I just delayed. He asked me about it, and just flat out said I don't want to smoke that joint. So we did balloons of Headband and Tahoe OG instead.

I wasn't sure if I could...

but I can! I can Vape Like A Boss!! LOL

P.S. I had an electrical smell for about the first 5 minutes, now it seems to have gone away but I will double check today.

P.P.S. I saw earlier that there was a combustion issue with someone's unit. I am a pretty forgetful dude (too much sativa all the time, racing thoughts, etc) so I have already walked away from the Herbie with bud in it many times. Probably 10 or so times already in the last 3 days. I am also a smoker, so I tend to use 445 more than I should, though I am already seeing that is not optimum. I'll be watching more closely to see if anything is awry, but so far I am guess that combustion is a fluke.

And one last thing, sorry to keep editing, but I had to share. I just opened my Herbie bowl and found an un-vaped bowl of Tahoe OG! LOL That never happens! That means I went for 2 last night, but Herbie put my ass to bed before I got to the 2nd. And forgot to boot! LOL I love this thing!

Last edited:

toros23

It was a loosely-packed full bowl, well-cured with a medium grind.
I'm waiting for your alternative explanation...
...perhaps it was magic?
:popcorn:

:goon:
Other than the full bowl, everything sounds good to me. Do you remember if the bulb/fan kicked in while you were hitting?

@Vitolo - Did you test with a full bowl? Would love to figure this one out so we can all avoid it.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Because the load ignited.
What temperature that is I don't know, but I would hope catching on fire is not by design.

Each unit is calibrated individually by hand, so you shouldn't be seeing this. Humans do make mistakes, so perhaps the calibration is off by a bit, although it should not be.

Additionally, the guys were asked to raise the upper temp of the Herbalizer. They did a lot of thinking about it, and decided not to. A blog post was made with some of the rational behind the decision.

So NOT catching fire is by design.

EDIT:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't see what is wrong with the hypothesis that the temperature can get away from an unattended load.

Because that flies in the face of empirical data. I don't have a screen cap of measured output (my bad), but I believe vtac posted a photo of some of the initial testing in the laboratory, from an early-early unit. The measurements I observed were the first on the finalized firmware (~Dec 6th), and in a variety of conditions and temp.

A proper functioning unit should NOT have "temp that gets away from an unattended load."

I'm still scratching my head on this one, but I'll ask about it this week.

Do you have close up shots of the ABV? That might help....

Last edited:

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Tomorrow is the day folks - I changed my UPS delivery to pick up rather than wait for "end of day". I feel like it's Christmas all over, 2013 was a rough year for me as most of you know. With pinpoint accuracy on temperature and instant readiness might change the game for me. If I can successfully medicate at temperatures low enough to NOT release CBN's than there's a possibility I may be able to lower my dosages of leva-dopa and Requip.

That could also mean the ability to medicate without getting any drag or fatigue. These are the reasons I've become so engulfed in concentrates, although their stronger dosaging is super easy. Herbie, I hope you bring flowers back to the king of my hill!

Look forward to reporting tomorrow.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Tomorrow is the day folks - I changed my UPS delivery to pick up rather than wait for "end of day". I feel like it's Christmas all over, 2013 was a rough year for me as most of you know. With pinpoint accuracy on temperature and instant readiness might change the game for me. If I can successfully medicate at temperatures low enough to NOT release CBN's than there's a possibility I may be able to lower my dosages of leva-dopa and Requip.

That could also mean the ability to medicate without getting any drag or fatigue. These are the reasons I've become so engulfed in concentrates, although their stronger dosaging is super easy. Herbie, I hope you bring flowers back to the king of my hill!

Look forward to reporting tomorrow.

So far all the flowers i have vapid in Herbie have kicked my ass!
Even at 190 Degrees C i can just vape all the THC and get many large clouds.
And then after a bowl or two, depending on med strength, i am done.
Seems like i use more with Herbie per load but less overall because of the strong effects.

grokit

well-worn member
I really don't think it's running hot in general, imo it was more like a freak occurrence and I'm not really concerned. Hard to test because I'm running quite low on flowers so no full bowls for a while.

Well I have enough for one but you see my point.
For a variety of reasons I'm gonna be chillin' on the consumption front for a bit.
:shrug:

grokit,
Reactions: mvapes

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
I really don't think it's running hot in general, imo it was more like a freak occurrence and I'm not really concerned. Hard to test because I'm running quite low on flowers so no full bowls for a while.

Please do let us know if you see this again. I'm really curious as to what could be happening in this situation.

SIDENOTE/BTW: there is plenty of *other* flower that is usable for tests (and tastes delicious!!). As it isn't a compound specific test, the flower is (somewhat) irrelevant. There are plenty of other things you could use for performance testing... if you wanted to try to re-produce behavior...

PS: Sorry 'bout your lack of "primary testings supplies"... :(

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
OK..just throwing this out there as a remote possibility: Combustion in this very rare case may have been due to the herb's cellulose structure being only paper thin in spots, making those particularly thin spots easily subject to scorching. IDK?:shrug: ...this is a real mystery!

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
Been watching this thread a long time, and definitely have decided I need one of these. Will be the 1st whip or bag cape I've bought in years and the most expensive vape I've bought .
Just can't afford it quite yet - my damn power wheelchair broke and my insurance company won't replace it for another year. Need to buy one out of pocket :cry: .

lazylathe

Almost there...
Has anyone else noticed that Herbie tends to smell up the place more than other vapes?
I have a room in the basement that i always vape in and my wife has never mentioned any smell before the Herbie.
My arsenal includes: E-Nano, HerbalAire, Solo, Pinnacle, Modded Cloud+, Vapolution 2.0, Inhalater, NO2 and the vapes i am working on and these have never left any major lingering smells. The only one that left a bad smell was the Vapolution because my friend did not remove the wand after a hit and we kind of forgot about it and it burnt the load, smell was aweful but that was user error!

I am not sure if it is because i am really enjoying the highest temp setting at the beginning or end of a bowl.
Not a big deal because Herbie is NOT going anywhere...
My simple solution was to buy a Glade air freshner for now that senses odors and sprays accordingly, is it quite neat!
My next purchase will most likely be an Ultrasonic diffuser so that i can use essential oils to clear the air.

The one thing i really love is the number of clouds i can get from a load at 190 Degrees C!
It is amazing becasue the flavor also tends to last a lot longer!

I have also started to store the essential oil pad on the shelf above Herbie, this has almost removed the smell of the De-Funk from the actual unit. When i am done i drop the pad in some ISO to remove left over oils and odor from the pad, then onto the shelf to dry ready for the next use.

Still looking for that elusive Easter Egg!!!

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
@lazylathe , I actually did mention that to vito when I went to try it as I have never smelled herb before by him. I am not sure why but it smelled as if a joint was being smoked so it was a lingering smell to me. I think vito figured out why so I guess he will chime in, but it was soooooooooooo long ago he may not remember.

ResonantOG

Am I the only one over-medicating themselves on a regular basis with the Herbie? Powerhouse!

Also, how do you other members deal with temps that make you cough on big hits, but taste best? I am trying sipping vapor, then sipping a bit of air. I was using my Opinicus bubbler the first few days, but the whip just has me! I can't stop alternating between one sesh whip, one sesh balloons.

Then again, I am very much prey to obsessions. My current neurosis is I tend to only use temps that had previous meaning, like 390 (pax), 395 (fav highway), 420 (haha), 425 (a strain my company is entering the canna cup). Wow, my hangups are odd to share.

Would someone be so kind as to share a temp schedule, I know its person to person... but the community can help me with my obsession by giving me some other ideas. Sorry to be such a weird new member, but this is going to be my vape for a long time, and I know y'all are the experts!

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
Has anyone else noticed that Herbie tends to smell up the place more than other vapes?
Yes.
Depending on how you use the herbalizer you can get some scents in the air.
My wife mentioned it, and Dreamerr noticed it.
There are a couple of reasons.
1- vaping more due to new device.
2- Vapor that is not directly inhaled, and then exhaled after a lung filtration has a
very distinctly different odor in the air... more like "weed". My wife said this about the volcano vapor that I let escape before inhaling it. This is why they gather fresh vapor in a volcano bag for cooking.. it is primo and full of terpines (until inhaled). Getting accustomed to the fan on this device will allow a % more of escaped fresh vapor than normal. Hence more smell.
3- As lazylathe mentioned, we get to go to higher heats, and therefore a bit more essence.

My last session was a moment ago.
I like using fan assist, but this time I did it at 385º and did about 15 hits. The load was done when I was!
There was according to my wife much less odor than when I use the fan.
A small amount of un-inhaled vapor goes a long way as far as the smell.

How to test this.
a-Do a hit in a room and exhale. Leave room take a break for 2 minutes and come back and smell deeply of your space.
b-Allow Herbie to get going at 390... and then let the fan blow herbal delight (sigh.. what a waste) into the air for a full 10 seconds (that is how long my hits take)... do not breath in... leave room.. stay gone same 2 minutes, and come back in...
You will find a very distinct difference that will surprise you.

Play away, friends, the Herbalizer likes it. He says he is here for us to enjoy... We will all settle down with our experimentations, and our methods, and we will create less aromatic evidence of our activities~!
Still looking for that elusive Easter Egg!!!
The egg may be some wild music or visual when one of us reaches his 420th session.

Last edited:

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
So Herbie has arrived. I am blown away. I've been a vaporist for the better part of 4 years and in that time I've owned over 30 vaporizers from logs, to pens, to the EVO. In my honest opinion, nothing comes close to this.

I love how when you change your temperature setting not only is quick but it actually gives you a read out of what medication state you've chosen from uplifting to intense. I can't seem to understand how some people aren't grasping how huge that is! I think that's where you can differentiate from the cloud chasers trying to get high versus a vapor enthusiast. By all means, nothing about this product from the marketing to the engineering to the final product is meant for the cloud chaser crowd. This mother fucker is for the connoisseur looking for the perfect vaporizer.

I love it's build quality and how by choosing the clam shell shape (it's actually more like an egg), it allows for storage under one hood, no more wires and whips to put away, just shove it all right under Herbie's hood. The fact that once you open the clam shell he's ready to go within seconds without constant heat like a log to attain this is mind boggling. As soon as you feel and see the the devices interface I promise, you'll see that there's some serious programming in here.

Taste - nothing like previous whip devices, it's clean, smooth - I actually mixed some peppermint in with some mango kush and I promise it was sublime. The ABV was evenly browned like nothing I've ever seen without stirring. I am going to try the concentrate pad next, that is going to be huge for me.

So all in all, starting at 290 (uplifting) and worked my up the spectrum a bit to about 400 (intense) and I got well medicated. IMO - Josh, Sheila, and your Dad have pulled something off that industry has needed for years. Technological advancement geared towards medicating.

Now, I do have one question, how do you adjust fan speed? When I touch the button it either goes on or off.

And I did try a bag, it filled in 39 seconds.

toros23

Regrading smelliness of Herbie.... Keep in mind when Herbie is running idle the heater is continually firing. When the bulb fires the fan runs so you get little wisps of vapor pumping out of the bowl each time it fires. I wonder if this could be contributing?? If using the bags, vapor escapes the seal when filling or holding the bag if you do not take precautions. The rubber seal works well enough, but something to keep in mind.

I always power down pushing aromatherapy button after I fill a bag or have a quick session. Since it is convection and heats so damn quick, I see no point in letting her run when not in active use.

@mvapes - congrats!! Can't wait to see what you do with Herbie! : )

ResonantOG

I love how when you change your temperature setting not only is quick but it actually gives you a read out of what medication state you've chosen from uplifting to intense. I can't seem to understand how some people aren't grasping how huge that is! I think that's where you can differentiate from the cloud chasers trying to get high versus a vapor enthusiast. By all means, nothing about this product from the marketing to the engineering to the final product is meant for the cloud chaser crowd. This mother fucker is for the connoisseur looking for the perfect vaporizer.

I had lurked FC for a while before joining, because I have had nothing to offer. I have not, to this point, been a vaporist. I was daunted by the journeys some of you have taken to find the right vape. Thank you, and the rest of the community for doing the work for me.

You helped me get to the Herbie, in very few steps.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Alright, I hope this will help adapting water...

1) Remove the mouthpiece and reinsert insert it in reverse like so...

20140106_180011_zpsv8vt8ua5.jpg

2) Once it's inserted backwards you get a more sticky silicone seal. I inserted it into a 18/14 reducer like this...

20140106_180028_zpsttms3i23.jpg

3) Turned Herbie up to 375 and let it rip.

4) Suddenly I forgot my name, I got medicated on a whole new level. BTW - I packed it half way with Green Crack (Sativa) and finished up at 400.

Results: Where am I?

Top Bottom