1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Herbalizer

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by nopartofme, Apr 7, 2013.

1. lazylathe

lazylathe Almost there...

Just tried a S&B dosing capsule in my Herbie and WOW!!!
    Smaller loads in a metal container and the experience is so much better for me!

Today's Wake and Bake was some Strawberry Cough and boy did it taste like strawberries in the Herbie!!
    A few awesome hits and then tapering off as always. great taste throughout the session!
    Also used my wide bore tubing over the stock whip!
    And the bowl stays super clean!

I was going to try the domed screen idea but this is just so much more easier and cleaner.

Would love someone else to try and report back with results!

2. WeAreVenom

WeAreVenom I vote for marijuana

Man just when I think I am going to save money there's some cool new shit for new shit for me to try out.

I just googled the S&B dosing capsules and now I have to try them. Anything to not have to clean my herbalizer screens as often. I am also just an experimental son of a bitch when it comes to this marijuana thing.

3. Southern Chef

Southern Chef Well-Known Member

I've been using the dosing capsules in my Herbie for a while now. Bowl stays super clean and I've convinced myself that it raised the already outstanding efficiency. It's the only way I load the Herbie anymore.

stressed, showman and lazylathe like this.
  4. Winegums

Winegums Sticky and chewy

VAS is a terrible addiction as well as its cousin VAAS. I fell victim to my cravings and bought a Vapcap Ti and a GR8TR vape grinder this christmas.

5. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

I just placed a call to Herbalizer Customer service, and also to the head Engineer. Both indicated I would get a call back within the hour.
    Ready to gain some info!

lazylathe likes this.
  6. lazylathe

@biohacker

You may want to try this new method out!
    When i loaded the bowl in the regular way, i would end up coughing a lot and this ends with me packing Herbie away for months at a time. Not good for such a large investment!

With the dosing capsule, i do not cough either dry or with a WT.
    I am wondering if by adding slightly move conduction to the bowl i am evening out the delivery?

And even half full capsules vape evenly and a darker brown!

I will bring Herbie along to the next session!
    For science...:science: and that wicked clean Herbie High!:freak:

stressed and biohacker like this.
  7. Vitolo

Vitolo Vaporist

The bags ARE NOT silicone
    Yes I am DEAD sure.
    I was called back AND received an email form Herbalizer.
    They told me:

stressed, turk, showman and 1 other person like this.
  8. Winegums

The Bags are made from Mylar and the valve is made from Silicone.

showman likes this.
  9. showman

showman Well-Known Member

Hi Vitolo! I got the same message. You were correct! I misread and assumed the bags were silicone.

I'm still curious as to whether the bags might work with the volcano easy valve chambers, as I'd be interested in at least upgrading the plastic easy valve to the silicone squeeze valve.

If I could then find a heat-safe silicone cooking bag in the right size and shape, I might manage to remove all plastic from the volcano airpath.

Vitolo likes this.
  10. showman

I'm pretty sure the volcano stock bags are polyester. I have both the volcano stock material and the reynolds bags; i kind of like the Reynolds bags because they are silent, and don't need to be tied at the end. But on the other hand, I don't like the shape which makes it hard to clear a bag quickly and looks strange. Why do you not recommend the Reynolds? I think they might work better with a goose bag instead of a Turkey bag, but just wondering what youe experience has been.

Madcap79 likes this.
  11. Winegums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoPET

Volcano bags are made of thicker Mylar than stock herbalizer bags.

stressed, showman and Vitolo like this.
  12. Madcap79

Madcap79 Jack of all trades, master of none.

I believe the top recommended temp on the turkey bags are lower than the top temp on the Herbie. Whether anything 'bad' happens because of this, that's up for debate I suppose. I personally am not worried. I'm around hazardous stuff at work anyway. Haha. :)

That's the only reason I 'don't suggest them'.

stressed, showman and sixstringsmash like this.
  13. sixstringsmash

sixstringsmash Well-Known Member

I agree completely with @Madcap79 .My reynold's bags say not to exceed 400f, which is 45 degrees lower than the herbalizer's max temperature. Now I'm not sure if its unhealthy or not going past that 400 or not with bags. Maybe it's totally healthy and I'm avoiding them for nothing but I at least know for a fact that my volcano/herbie bags are guaranteed to be safe up to their maximum temperatures every time and for the little extra cost that brings to me I think that's completely worth it!

showman and Madcap79 like this.
  14. MinnBobber

MinnBobber Well-Known Member

Please consider that bags likely never see temps over 160 F (estimate). The best example is my miniVAP with the 2" plastic mouthpiece to highlight a super -short vapor path. A temp of 130/135 F will burn your mouth/throat so it's not above that temp, even at 440 F setting. Throw in another 30 F cushion and I think the bags never see a temp above 160 F.
    That leaves a lot of safety margin below the 400 F safe mark IMO.

stressed, showman, Madcap79 and 3 others like this.
  15. sixstringsmash

I think that you are completely correct and I really don't think there is any harm to the oven bags but at the same time until someone does proper testing on them I personally rather would just not want to risk it. The materials in the Volcano and Herbalizer bags are used because the companies have done extensive testing with them and found them to be safe for vaporization temperatures. The oven bags are probably the same but until somebody tests and proves that they are safe I would just rather assume they are unsafe.

16. invertedisdead

invertedisdead Beware of Pizza

I feel you, but I've actually melted the solid valve housing, locking the valve in place to where the spring wouldn't work. Never had an oven bag do anything weird like that... Even the bag attached that duration I forgot about, so who knows, it might be safer than the valve...

showman and Madcap79 like this.
  17. yadoofer

yadoofer New Member

Oven bags. I use a brand called True Liberty Bags I get from the dreaded Amazon. They are 12"x20". They come in a lot of sizes, though, and in packs of 10, 25, 100. They are durable, thicker than most. Keep in mind that they are made from food safe nylon. They can take the heat. Generally, they get sticky before they get brittle. I add a little bit of ISO to the bags, swish it around in the bag on a flat surface and then empty them, rinse with water, dry them with the help of the Herbalizer. Good for another week. They fit the silicone herbalizer valve with a little persuasion. I think they are cost effective, safe, and, for me, just the right size.

Madcap79, showman and 6079Smith like this.
  18. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

After using a Vapexhale Hydratube with my Herbalizer for the past 2 years or so, I'll never go back to bags or a whip. The hydratube is so much better in every aspect, IMO.

Madcap79, MinnBobber and showman like this.
  19. kcmochris

kcmochris Member

@Tex Tried the steamroller? I'm sure you're thinking why, if you're already doing a similar method with water filtration, but posing out of curiosity.

Madcap79 and sixstringsmash like this.
  20. sixstringsmash

Steamroller is definitely my preferred way to vape not just on my herbie, but on pretty much any vape I'm using nowadays that I have an adapter for. The long air path cools the vapor enough to make it easy on the lungs but the lack of water retains the flavor miles better than water does! I can't really see myself going back to using hydratubes now that I've seen the steamroller light!

lazylathe, turk, whatitdew and 2 others like this.
  21. showman

Good to know. For reference, S +B does suggest the Reynolds bag are fine to as replacement bags, so I wouldn't worry, but if stock are higher heat-rated, that may explain the subjective impression that they last more uses. I don't think Herbalizer recommends any after-market bags, but it'd be interesting to test the silicone squeeze valve against volcano plastic easy valve with same bags attached.

Havin tried reynolds and S+B bags a fair bit, I'm split between the two-- I dislike the shape of the Reynolds bags (big enough, but too wide compared to long, which makes it awkward to use and harder to clear at the end of a bag), but also dislike the crinkly noise of the S+B bags.

I had an Herbie once too several years back but my ex-gf knocked it over and killed it. I think the Herbie bags were quieter than S+B, but seem to remember them having a shorter lifespan. But mainly I used Herbie as a whip vape since I had the Cano for bags. Can't find my old accessories to test if they work with Cano though....

sixstringsmash likes this.
  22. lazylathe

@sixstringsmash

Tried a version of your tech tonight and it was awesome!
    Long glass tube with an 18mm male on the end.
    Attach that with a short length of tube and i used my Cloud dry mouthpiece.
    Flavor train!!
    No coughing on MAX temp either, not fan assisted.
    Still using the dosage capsule and loving it!
    Noticed that my top screen still gets clogged but the material is bone dry and wipes away cleanly!

Glad that my Herbie is getting some love again!

sixstringsmash and mixchu69 like this.
  23. stressed

stressed Well-Known Member

it's a good idea. i usually go through 3 or 4 screens a day when i vape concentrates. have you tried any concentrates through it yet?

now i usually put .05 or .1 in the bowl and put an extreme q bucket on top. keeps the top screen nice and clean but the concentrates are annoying me.

24. Southern Chef

Southern Chef Well-Known Member

I have very limited experience with concentrates but I'm sure there must be a way to avoid changing screens so much. Any ideas @turk ?

stressed and turk like this.
  25. turk

turk turk

..yep...concentrates do impact screens more....especially the top screen....I find I use the bags more with concentrates...its important not to put too much...there are always trade-offs...cheers.

stressed, lazylathe and Southern Chef like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors