Discontinued The Herbalizer

YungLeaner

Anyone else wonder if the company that bought out Herbalizer will release an updated model? Seems like they haven't done anything but maintain production of the original design.

I spent 420 with my herbie and it got me thinking as to what I would do when mine no longer works. Would I replace it? Will there be a new model?

Something tells me that the Herbie has hit a dead end.
I really hope they continue to innovate, but my understanding of the company's history leads me to think that there isn't anyone left at the company to engineer a product anywhere near the Herbie's innovative function. I also would be fine with continued production of Herbalizers and replacement parts. For my needs it's the finest vaporizer I've ever had, and I don't see a lot of room for improvement beyond the bag system, whip diameter and arguably the clamshell housing. 7th floor style tubing and glass WPAs should definitely be offered on the Herbie site, though. It's a shame we won't ever get an Herbie 2.0 most likely, but if mine ever broke I'd work like hell to get another one. It's the only vape I've never even considered selling.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I really hope they continue to innovate, but my understanding of the company's history leads me to think that there isn't anyone left at the company to engineer a product anywhere near the Herbie's innovative function. I also would be fine with continued production of Herbalizers and replacement parts. For my needs it's the finest vaporizer I've ever had, and I don't see a lot of room for improvement beyond the bag system, whip diameter and arguably the clamshell housing. 7th floor style tubing and glass WPAs should definitely be offered on the Herbie site, though. It's a shame we won't ever get an Herbie 2.0 most likely, but if mine ever broke I'd work like hell to get another one. It's the only vape I've never even considered selling.

I think there's a lot left on the table as far as improving the Herbalizer. It could use a stronger fan, ditch the aroma therapy side of the unit, include gong or song adapters, improve the chassis/lid and most importantly increase the appeture size on the herb chamber for flow.

I think that it could use an update that improves all the functionality without losing what we love about it.

Winegums,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
I agree they can ditch the aromatherapy and a stronger fan wouldn't hurt but I'm happy with the output of mine. I'd be happy if they released a smaller bowl as I don't use much at a time. Luckily, the miniVap flexicones have kinda solved the problem for me.

Madcap79,
Reactions: Winegums

YungLeaner

I think there's a lot left on the table as far as improving the Herbalizer. It could use a stronger fan, ditch the aroma therapy side of the unit, include gong or song adapters, improve the chassis/lid and most importantly increase the appeture size on the herb chamber for flow.

I think that it could use an update that improves all the functionality without losing what we love about it.
I don't want too much stronger of the fan, but that's because I only use mine for bubbler hits. If I used bags I would agree with you entirely. And the aromatherapy option is definitely useless. More helpful to me would be an increased temp range for concentrates and a dedicated concentrate bowl. Perhaps 500f max

YungLeaner,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I don't want too much stronger of the fan, but that's because I only use mine for bubbler hits. If I used bags I would agree with you entirely. And the aromatherapy option is definitely useless. More helpful to me would be an increased temp range for concentrates and a dedicated concentrate bowl. Perhaps 500f max

I think you start running into melting plastic issues once you up the temps above 450*F.

I agree they can ditch the aromatherapy and a stronger fan wouldn't hurt but I'm happy with the output of mine. I'd be happy if they released a smaller bowl as I don't use much at a time. Luckily, the miniVap flexicones have kinda solved the problem for me.

The fan would be variable and it's strictly because need more power for my water piece. I don't find that the bag filling takes that long that I would want to make the time shorter.

A smaller bowl is definitely something I would like too. I find that the stock bowl holds more than I need and once you're into smaller amounts it doesn't work as well. I also dislike using a spacer in my bowls as it has only proven to make my ABV more inconsistent than if I hadn't put it in.

Winegums,
Reactions: Madcap79

Vapenado

..you can put your weed in it
Anyone else wonder if the company that bought out Herbalizer will release an updated model? Seems like they haven't done anything but maintain production of the original design.

I spent 420 with my herbie and it got me thinking as to what I would do when mine no longer works. Would I replace it? Will there be a new model?

Something tells me that the Herbie has hit a dead end.
I asked the folks at herbalizer if there were plans on a more portable and they said it's in R&D.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I asked the folks at herbalizer if there were plans on a more portable and they said it's in R&D.
That is excellent news. I'll be curious to see what they roll out and might even be an early adopter if it seems promising.

Winegums,

RelaxedNow

IMO, anybody designing a new portable will need to get over a high bar, indeed. There are competitors with portable devices that heat quickly, have good-sized bowls/chambers, provide good flavor, are fairly efficient, have decent battery-charge life, require little-to-no no tweaking or technique, and produce clouds (Mighty and CFX, to mention a couple). If they can do that all of that in a portable with pure convection, it would be awesome, as I think the flavor would be unbelievable. Of course, most if not all of those aspects can be improved upon, so we'll see what they focus on.

By the way, isn't one of the founding engineers still with the company?

I haven't used my Herbie for a few weeks, as I've been on a portable kick with a couple of new devices that I purchased. The lack of a cord while vaping offers too much freedom to refuse, at least for me.

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
A halogen portable from Herbalizer would be epic if it's what I'm imagining.

I wonder if they designed it to bypass the batteries while plugged in? That would make for a sweet dual purpose vapourizer.

RelaxedNow

A halogen portable from Herbalizer would be epic if it's what I'm imagining.

I wonder if they designed it to bypass the batteries while plugged in? That would make for a sweet dual purpose vapourizer.

I agree on both points.

There is another halogen portable out there that seems to be getting good reviews. It sounds from the users like it's fairly easy to get used to, but to me the instructions seem complicated. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to see a portable Herbie with an intuitive user interface.

RelaxedNow,

Vapenado

..you can put your weed in it
IMO, anybody designing a new portable will need to get over a high bar, indeed. There are competitors with portable devices that heat quickly, have good-sized bowls/chambers, provide good flavor, are fairly efficient, have decent battery-charge life, require little-to-no no tweaking or technique, and produce clouds (Mighty and CFX, to mention a couple). If they can do that all of that in a portable with pure convection, it would be awesome, as I think the flavor would be unbelievable. Of course, most if not all of those aspects can be improved upon, so we'll see what they focus on.

I agree the bar has already been set very high. I personally have a PAX2 and a FF2 enroute. I've tried some others and the quality out there is impressive. However, technology is evolving so quickly that out doing the last/most current model and the rate that newer 'versions' are hitting the market is constantly accelerating. When I started smoking weed...vaporizers were barely heard of and the technology was laughable....at today's standards.

By the way, isn't one of the founding engineers still with the company?
I'M not sure but I would like to think that 1 or both are still available for consultation or better yet...directly involved with the development of a portable.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I'M not sure but I would like to think that 1 or both are still available for consultation or better yet...directly involved with the development of a portable.

I don't think Josh aka @Engineer is still with Herbalizer. He was extemely disheartened by the happenings at Herbalizer and decided to get out of the vapourizer industry. Bob Pratt might still be there but I'm not sure.

I really hope that they are able to produce an amazing portable despite one of the founding engineers being gone.

RelaxedNow

I agree the bar has already been set very high. I personally have a PAX2 and a FF2 enroute. I've tried some others and the quality out there is impressive. However, technology is evolving so quickly that out doing the last/most current model and the rate that newer 'versions' are hitting the market is constantly accelerating. When I started smoking weed...vaporizers were barely heard of and the technology was laughable....at today's standards.

Yes, there's still plenty of opportunity for improvement in vaporizers. If Herbalizer can transport their current advantages to a portable design, and maybe make it slightly more intuitive (it usually takes a bit of instruction for a new user to operate the controls on the Herbie, as simple as they are) it would be killer.

As to vaporizers being available, heck, when I started smoking weed, it was all about who could roll the best joint. Neil Armstrong hadn't yet landed on the moon (though he did later the same year), and we were listening to 8-track tapes. Woodstock happened that year as well, and while I was too young to travel to it, I kinda doubt that anybody there had a vaporizer in their pocket. It was 1969.

Please allow me to list my vaporizer preferences;
  • Battery-charge life sufficient for a full day of sharing with friends
  • Full convection
  • Quick heat up (30 seconds at most)
  • Cool exterior, and cool vapor, even with long sessions
  • Reliable...no need to seek warranty service multiple times over the life of the unit
  • Built-in batteries (I know very little about batteries, but it seems that removable batteries increase the risk of injury, fire, etc.
  • Large bowl, but capable of small loads also
  • No need to stir
  • Produces clouds at lowest possible temperatures (I guess that may translate as "efficient extraction")
  • No need to tell new users to draw harder, softer, slower, etc., in order to get good vapor
  • Fits in a coat pocket comfortably (even smaller would be better, but I'll give the designers a break for now, if they can provide everything else on this list)
  • Pass-through charging, so that a day of extreme vaping doesn't end due to dead batteries
  • Easy cleaning. I sometimes enjoy sitting down and cleaning my vapes, but some require an extreme amount of disassembly, and there's not always time for that at the moment of need.
  • Relatively good airflow, so it's not like sucking on a milkshake
  • And, for the glass fans, a design that pairs easily with bubblers and such
What did I miss?

MinnBobber

@RelaxedNow, I'll throw out my changes/additions/subtractions:
- I love removable batteries so would change that. Specifically, have the core unit hold a 3200 mah 18650 battery which is removable. Unit would also come with a molded "double 18650 external pod" which can be snapped onto the core unit for big battery needs
Unit has a separate, very small AC puck that snaps on for home/AC/ desktop use.

Basically, I would meld together the strengths and unique features of :
Herbie of course, miniVAP, Mighty/Crafty.

Like you squashed the miniVAP flatter, like a Mighty, used the Herbie Halogen bulb tech, Maybe had the exterior of Mighty but the size is between a Mighty and a Crafty, had a decent length for miniVAP lamnar air flow, for sure the unit and chamber allowed use of miniVAP Flexicone basket modules, had temp and battery display like Mighty, Teflon core like minivAP for taste and strength/durability, magnetic chamber attachment like Herbie, 18/14 male mouthpiece/WPA-either stock or as a snap on,

RelaxedNow

@RelaxedNow, I'll throw out my changes/additions/subtractions:
- I love removable batteries so would change that. Specifically, have the core unit hold a 3200 mah 18650 battery which is removable. Unit would also come with a molded "double 18650 external pod" which can be snapped onto the core unit for big battery needs
Unit has a separate, very small AC puck that snaps on for home/AC/ desktop use.

Basically, I would meld together the strengths and unique features of :
Herbie of course, miniVAP, Mighty/Crafty.

Like you squashed the miniVAP flatter, like a Mighty, used the Herbie Halogen bulb tech, Maybe had the exterior of Mighty but the size is between a Mighty and a Crafty, had a decent length for miniVAP lamnar air flow, for sure the unit and chamber allowed use of miniVAP Flexicone basket modules, had temp and battery display like Mighty, Teflon core like minivAP for taste and strength/durability, magnetic chamber attachment like Herbie, 18/14 male mouthpiece/WPA-either stock or as a snap on,

Ok, I'll go with the removable batteries if that becomes the consensus, as I'll admit they can be useful. I like your desired size. I'm never used, or even seen, the MiniVAP, so I don't know anything about its airflow, but if you're talking cool vapor, I'm in. Baskets would be fine, but let's keep them optional. A display including temp and battery is a must. I'm not sure about Teflon.....I've seen too many Teflon coatings fail, though I don't know that they havent improved.......perhaps ceramic instead though? A removable chamber, possibly magnetic, would be great for cleaning purposes. I think there's a fair chance that included WPA's could become standard, considering their seemingly growing popularity.

I hope the engineers out there are following conversations such as this! Of course, somehow they'll have to decide how to get the most bang for the buck, especially since there are now some pretty good units on the market priced below $200. At what I believe is now becoming the top price point for portables, the FF2 is out $329, and even the Mighty can sometimes be found at approximately the same price.

RelaxedNow,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Guys, this is drifting off topic. If someone wants to start a thread about the ultimate portable, they are free to do so.

Thanks.

:peace:

Stu,
Reactions: ataxian

ReifierReefer

How large is Herbie's fan? Could that technology feasibly be scaled down to fit in a portable?

Herbie's fan is, so far, my favorite aspect of its functionality. Not only does it completely eliminate any draw restriction when using the whip and small bubblers, but I've found that it can essentially deliver the vapor to your lungs without necessitating a draw in the first place--so long as you maintain an airtight seal on your mouthpiece of choice. That sensation of your lungs inflating like a balloon is a great indication of a monster rip too.

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I recently got some 16mm OD, high temp, food grade, platinum cured, silicone tubing with 3mm walls from a brewing company supply for my new water pipe. Turns out it fits perfectly over the stock Herbie bowl and a 10mm male GonG like I planned. It's a bit heavy but it's going to have to do!

It has extremely low odor and no taste even when subjected to 430 on my Herbalizer. Flow is massively improved over stock Herbie tubing and the 14mm male to 10mm male adapter doesn't make for a half bad whip end if cleaned before use. If anyone has concerns or issues with draw resistance I would switch to a 10mm ID tubing. It's heavy but it's worth it.

157j71w.jpg

Last edited:

Smelly Dog

I recently got some 16mm OD, high temp, food grade, platinum cured, silicone tubing with 3mm walls from a brewing company supply for my new water pipe. Turns out it fits perfectly over the stock Herbie bowl and a 10mm male GonG like I planned. It's a bit heavy but it's going to have to do!

It has extremely low odor and no taste even when subjected to 430 on my Herbalizer. Flow is massively improved over stock Herbie tubing and the 14mm male to 10mm male adapter doesn't make for a half bad whip end if cleaned before use. If anyone has concerns or issues with draw resistance I would switch to a 10mm ID tubing. It's heavy but it's worth it.

157j71w.jpg

Nice score!

How does it perform when the tube gets hot from running the fan while using a bubbler? My DBV whip kinking drives me bonkers when it gets hot!

Smelly Dog,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Nice score!

How does it perform when the tube gets hot from running the fan while using a bubbler? My DBV whip kinking drives me bonkers when it gets hot!
I've yet to get it super hot but I've had zero issues with kinking so far. The thickness of the tube makes forming a kink hard. It's working like a champ so far and I'm beginning to think that the thickness isn't a bad thing at all. My only word of caution is that the heavier tubing could topple a lightweight water piece. I simply unplug the adapter when I'm not using the vape to avoid an accident.

The best part about the Herbalizer and increasing the flow is that it will keep the temp constant no matter what. So there's no ill effects from this. if anything my ABV is more consistent than ever before.

I got my tubing from a beer brewing supplier, I'm sure similar heavy wall tubing can be found in a US store.

Smelly Dog

I've yet to get it super hot but I've had zero issues with kinking so far. The thickness of the tube makes forming a kink hard. It's working like a champ so far and I'm beginning to think that the thickness isn't a bad thing at all. My only word of caution is that the heavier tubing could topple a lightweight water piece. I simply unplug the adapter when I'm not using the vape to avoid an accident.

The best part about the Herbalizer and increasing the flow is that it will keep the temp constant no matter what. So there's no ill effects from this. if anything my ABV is more consistent than ever before.

I got my tubing from a beer brewing supplier, I'm sure similar heavy wall tubing can be found in a US store.

Thanks for the info, going to search for the tubing online, thanks again! :)

Smelly Dog,
Hey, does anyone know any official distributors of the Herbalizer within Europe?
I'm in the U.k,

also, i can't find out what materials are used in the air flow and chamber?
Tricky business settling on a vaporizer.
J

MinnBobber

Hey, does anyone know any official distributors of the Herbalizer within Europe?
I'm in the U.k,

Like madcap said, no Euro version, only 110V version.
A couple years ago, Herbalizer was talking about doing a 220V version but a company shakeup derailed that. Many are waiting and I hope they do but ???

Another issue was they stated the frequency (60 HZ) was very critical so even if you stepped down the voltage, the HZ was still wrong. Some have been ok while some others fried their Herbies so its a risky deal for Euro owners :(

Top Bottom