The Herbalizer

max

Out to lunch
This is not true for all models.
I didn't say it was. I said it's a good idea. I've been using vapes with good thermal mass for a half dozen years, so I don't need any education on this aspect, but thanks anyway.

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Heat retention varies greatly between models, and it can make a huge difference in the functionality of a vaporizer; especially in regard to group usage. Heat retention is far too critical to brush away as unimportant.
And I disagree with your sentiment. Heat retention between hits is mostly meaningless to me and many others who aren't vaping with others. By the time I'm ready for another hit the vape is also ready, regardless of the model I'm using. Don't try and make your preferences into necessities.

max,

MG23

Relaxin'
I didn't say it was. I said it's a good idea. I've been using vapes with good thermal mass for a half dozen years, so I don't need any education on this aspect, but thanks anyway.

It's always a good idea to give the vape time to get back to the temp you've set, and a quick/hard hit will drop the temp much more than a slow one, even to the point of affecting the initial hit, let alone the next one.

In that case: please educate me on why waiting in between hits would be a good idea if it makes absolutely no difference thanks to effective heat retention?

Heat retention between hits is mostly meaningless to me and many others who aren't vaping with others. By the time I'm ready for another hit the vape is also ready, regardless of the model I'm using. Don't try and make your preferences into necessities.

Temp retention/recovery does vary from one model to another, but IMO that feature shouldn't be high on your list when choosing a vape to buy.

You present your own personal preference of being unconcerned with heat retention as if it should be the norm; is this not exactly what you're accusing me of doing?

I would be happy to debate the merits of efficienct versus inefficienct heat retention, but I have no interest in bickering about which opinion is more valid to the masses.

Last edited:

max

Out to lunch
.... if it makes absolutely no difference thanks to effective heat retention?
That's not what I said. My point is that any vape I use is ready for another hit when I am. If I'm not sharing it simply doesn't matter. Your statement that heat retention is important is conditional. In my condition, where I don't hit it hard and fast, and I'm the only one using it, heat retention is so far down my list as to be inconsequential.
You present your own personal preference of being unconcerned with heat retention as if it were the norm
Again, that's not what I said. It's apparently your interpretation of it though.

....but I have no interest in bickering about which opinion is more valid to the masses.
Then don't state your opinion as if it applies to everyone. You're the one who took up "bickering". This is no longer on topic, so let's end the discussion here.

max,

lazylathe

Almost there...
I tried to use the provided DeFunk, but I could not figure out how to get the oil out of the bottle, it does not squeeze easily, I ended up putting the bottle tip right on the pad and shaking upside down. It got a little oil and did provide a light aroma in the room, but I have no idea if I used it correctly.

That's pretty much how i do it!

Place the aroma pad on the top and turn upside down and shake lightly.
Have to be careful not too get too much oil on the pad though.

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
That's pretty much how i do it!

Place the aroma pad on the top and turn upside down and shake lightly.
Have to be careful not too get too much oil on the pad though.

Thanks, good to know I'm not alone. I assumed I would squeeze and put a tiny drop of oil on the pad, but perhaps the oil is so strong, just a tiny dab is needed...not crazy about defunk, so I'd like to find some other flavors to try, I haven't done much aromatherapy, but I do love nice smells :evil::evil::evil:

lazylathe

Almost there...
Thanks, good to know I'm not alone. I assumed I would squeeze and put a tiny drop of oil on the pad, but perhaps the oil is so strong, just a tiny dab is needed...not crazy about defunk, so I'd like to find some other flavors to try, I haven't done much aromatherapy, but I do love nice smells :evil::evil::evil:

I have tried peppermint and it is quite nice!
Also have some orange blossom that smells awesome!

What i am finding is that it only does not permeate very far.
My small basement room smells fainlty after leaving the aromatherapy on for the longest time.

I have also noticed that the smell left after vaping is very strain dependant.
My Sativa's do not stink up the whole house, while Indica's smell the whole house up!
So i use less when vaping Sativa and more drops when vaping Indica.

I also use one of these Glade plug in aromatherapy things 24/7, so at least that masks a lot of the smell.

I guess that is the only disadvantage of vaping in a basement with a furnace that has it's fan on all the time! Whatever happens in the basement soon gets spread around the entire house.

lazylathe,
Reactions: Mister G

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
It's always a good idea to give the vape time to get back to the temp you've set, and a quick/hard hit will drop the temp much more than a slow one, even to the point of affecting the initial hit, let alone the next one. Temp retention/recovery does vary from one model to another, but IMO that feature shouldn't be high on your list when choosing a vape to buy.

While I do agree with what you said here, I can't help but feel the exposure you have had with the Herbalizer has been minimal. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

I've put a few devices under test now (thermocouple mid-bowl, under load/draw), and can verify the variance in thermal recovery on just about every model I've tested. (OF can additionally confirm in the units that he tested, that under load/draw temperature can drop or *spike* dramatically, depending on the unit's design. These temp fluctuations can be as dramatic as 100°F or more.) I guess it is proper to say that the Herbalizer does exhibit variance from all the other units, in the fact that it just does NOT demonstrate the same thermal drop/raise and recovery I've seen in every other unit I've tested†. The curve is essentially flat. @vtac can confirm this in tests he observed on early prototypes in the lab, *long* before production was even an option.

In fact, that is one of the selling points of this device: It is *entirely* predictable in its thermal performance.

I think, rather than focusing on multiple serial hits (which you posit is only relevant when sharing a device), I would argue that is ignoring the larger point of uniform, dependable, and predictable performance independent of the variables that can negatively impact other vapes.

Any thoughts on the aromatherapy aspect of Herbie? I was thinking about buying some doterra essential oils to see if Herbie can really diffuse the oils well

I've tried a few, both in terms of oils and raw herbs. I think it works quite well, but as others have said, in a large room, don't expect it to fill the air. ;) I usually have Herbie within a few feet of me when I'm using it, so I'm generally in close proximity if I am using it in aromatherapy mode.

I tried to use the provided DeFunk, but I could not figure out how to get the oil out of the bottle, it does not squeeze easily,

I don't believe the bottle squeezes at all. :p

I too struggled with how to get the DeFunk out. I guess the solution is to turn the bottle upside down over the pad (or whatever substrate) and tap the bottom with your finger. This should dislodge a single drop. Don't think you need more than 1-2.

† DISCLAIMER: I have, obviously, only tested units I have had access to. For other units, I have to depend on the reporting of others, which has been consistent with my sample population.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Predictability/Repeatability/Uniformity across your experience using the device/process/method should be a high priority for most... not just with vaporizing, but in other process like smoking. This aspect allows you to replicate the experience for more consistent results. Heat retention is one of the aspects of predictability/uniformity in the process that matters. If the heat retention rate is not exactly the same every time the experience will change.

Draw to fast the heat will dissipate quicker, you will drop down in to lower ranges of temperature. Draw too slow, the temp will stay higher and you will get more active ingredients then you might have anticipated. If heat dissipation rate is not the same, the refresh time to get back up to proper temp might change. If you don't compensate and wait for it to get back up to temp. When you go to hit the device again, the effects might be different then anticipated.

One of the most disappointing things is when a session is not as fulfilling as it usually is, or you expect it to be because a variable in the process changed. So, heat retention might not be single-handedly the important aspect of repeatability. It should be one of the many important factors relating to an important aspect of enjoying cannabis to it's fullest potential.

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
....I strongly disagree with this sentiment. ...
I will have to agree with max.
It's always a good idea to give the vape time to get back to the temp you've set, and a quick/hard hit will drop the temp much more than a slow one,
Agreed.. this is common sense! Nobody can logically disagree with this.
I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Heat retention varies greatly between models, and it can make a huge difference in the functionality of a vaporizer; especially in regard to group usage. Heat retention is far too critical to brush away as unimportant.
max did not brush away this factor as unimportant. He said the heat retention was good.
He did say that "that feature shouldn't be high on your list when choosing a vape to buy."

Vitolo,

max

Out to lunch
nigel said:
While I do agree with what you said here, I can't help but feel the exposure you have had with the Herbalizer has been minimal. (Correct me if I am wrong.)
What I said was not vape specific. I've used some models that hold temp very well and some that recover very slowly. My point was that the way I normally vape, heat retention or quick heat recovery doesn't matter much to me. If a particular model does well in this category, great, but it's just a feature. Where it is in the list of importance will vary with the buyer, just like whip or no whip, or built for water filtration or not. Some people won't be happy unless their vape can deliver big hits. Others have no interest in a big hitter.

I posted in response to a new member who made the same post in three different vape threads. My response was aimed only at his post, which really should have been an Ask FC thread instead. I really wasn't looking for a discussion on the Herbalizer, any more than I was on the herbalAire or Extreme, so please exclude me.

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Herbalizer meets Sublimator.

PFmOrof.jpg

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Wondering how much cannabis everyone has used in their Herbalizer since they got their unit? Since I got mine I have used a little over 5 ounces from January-Today. Threw my back out last week so that really increased the consumption allot. I have been saving this ABV because I think I can make something with it. Surprised at how even and uniform the color has been through out the entire 5 ounces I have saved.

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Is it me or does the Herbalizer start working better the longer you have it (breaking in period)? I could just be imagining things. :evil::evil::evil:

In other news....

I have mastered re-placing the whip (so that the end doesn't keep sticking out). This feels like a real accomplishment for some reason.:cool:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
In my Herbalizer, I have used a consistent 2 grams a day, 7 days a week.
I think that would equal about the same quantity in total that you have used.

2 grams just in the Herbalizer and I'm pretty sure that you dab a little bit with your VB-2 and others concentrates pens and some more flowers grams in your others devices= a full medication day (or awful medication day!):freak:

Yes, you vape like a boss! or they can claim "Vape like uncle Vito!":rofl:

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Well, how was it?

I didnt heat up the atomzier, yet. The Teflon isn't expanded. Its almost airtight, but not quite 100%.

It works pretty Damn well. It allowed me to use my water tools with Herbie. It weird using the bottom of the atomizer as a whip mouthpiece.

Just ripped it 445*F w/fan assist, dry sift sandwiched between flower, out of a 16 in showerhead tube with water. Finished the bowl in about 3 hits. Awesome rips.Wow I'm medicated. Gonna do another rip for scientific research.

Edit. Mid second rip I came up with a new idea. 14mm or 18 mm Teflon brushing with herbalizer mouth piece connect together. Could easily switch between whip and water tool seamlessly. The whio mouth piece fits into a 14mm female.

Last edited:

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Alright, I have a sub atomizer not being used, I may have to try this! Thanks for the idea. I haven't plunked down for a hose adapter yet, but I wonder if the atomizer stem will fit in my D020 or if it's too tall.

Eventually i want to rig a short path to a WT from Herbie, the 3' whip is so smooth hitting with cool vapor, water filtration seems unnecessary, but I just love vaping through water so what is one to do? :evil::evil::evil:

I didnt heat up the atomzier, yet. The Teflon isn't expanded. Its almost airtight, but not quite 100%.

It works pretty Damn well. It allowed me to use my water tools with Herbie. It weird using the bottom of the atomizer as a whip mouthpiece.

Just ripped it 445*F w/fan assist, dry sift sandwiched between flower, out of a 16 in showerhead tube with water. Finished the bowl in about 3 hits. Awesome rips.Wow I'm medicated. Gonna do another rip for scientific research.

didolgi

What's the best and safest way to clean the magnetic bowl and whip?
Daily cleaning on the bowl is just the brush. I use ISO on a folded pipe cleaner once every few weeks to get the residue out of the bowl. I fold a pipe cleaner a few times so it fits the whip, then twist one or two more for length and use it like a long bottle brush inside the whip with ISO.

With this method obviously I don't get to reclaim anything, but you could do the same steps with a ISO soak and then reclaim from that.

edit: fixed typo

didolgi,
Reactions: sch15m

sch15m

Daily cleaning on the bowl is just the brush. I use ISO on a folded pipe cleaner once every few weeks to get the residue out of the bowl. I fold a pipe cleaner a few times so it fits the whip, then twist one or two more for length and use it like a long bottle brush inside the whip with ISO.

With this method obviously I don't get to reclaim anything, but you could do the same steps with a ISO soak and then reclaim from that.

edit: fixed typo

Sounds good, thank you!

sch15m,

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
My shirt arrived today. :cool: It fits me very well and I like the vape like a boss logo. Thank you Josh! Also thank you for the the other items. The card really brightened up my day. It made me smile.:love: Thank you Sheila, Josh, and Bob! I have been throughly enjoying Herbie. I love it, and am going to put my new shirt on and Vape Like A Boss. :tup:

Top Bottom