The Green Oil Machine

djelibebbi

AKA djelimon, but lost the email
Hi all. Used to be called djelimon back in the day but the email long ago fell into disuse. Djelibebbi is more fun anyway.

So I live in Ontario and high proof alcohol is hard to get. Damn hard. In fact, I had to go to quebec. And damn expensive. Piker that I am, when I saw what promised to be a fuckwhit proof way to reclaim most of the booze, I was intrigued. I lurked until finally on one of the Facebook groups I got a confirm that it does what it says on the tin.

And they deliver to Canada, so... I bought one. Arrived today. I'll be posting my findings here. Good night!

djelibebbi

I can't find an easy way to get public urls per image from my phone that renders on this site, so until I do, you can see pics by following this link

https://goo.gl/photos/AVAqU8erfjXBCAmR8

Here we have a couple pics of the GOM. It is bigger than I expected for some reason, about 18" high and 8" diameter at the widest point. Instructions consist of a brief letter saying to be careful and plug everything in, solvents can be explosive etc. It has three pieces, and I can work out two of them but the rack is a bit of a mystery. My buddy thought it was a stand but it seemed kind of wobbly.

Build quality seems alright, as far as I can tell. Nothing exposed or flimsy.

The letter said to join this closed Facebook group for more details. I got a confirm around midnight and asked some questions straight away. This was vetted by the mods before being posted. Given how some of these groups get, I can understand that.

The proposed procedure is to shake your flowers in everclear type hooch for 3 minutes (!) and you basically cook off the juice to get shatter. Make a tincture to get FECO. And you get most of the booze back.

Any concentrate veterans with an opinion on whether this is feasible and if the dregs are worth keeping, please feel free to chime in here.

I am a cautious guy, and the last thing I want to do is throw away good bud, so I've decided my first run will be reclaiming alcohol from an AVB tincture I made with the Magical Butter machine some time ago, (that's been sitting in my fridge that has no light in a dark bottle) which should give me some kind of oil that tastes like vintage ass, but should send me to the moon.

Perhaps just as important, it should help me establish a processing rate, prove the thing actually works, give me an idea how smelly it will get (I have a sort of blind over my back porch so I can get ventilation and privacy) and give me the courage to see what I can get out of a quarter and/or some kiff or something. First cook will likely be Thursday, unless I can convince my primary to sit around watching it cook. This seems unlikely.

Last edited:

Monsoon

Any concentrate veterans with an opinion on whether this is feasible and if the dregs are worth keeping, please feel free to chime in here.
It's like AVB, there's definitely something left in it just not a lot. I personally don't save it but if you're on a budget or like getting every bit of goodness out then it would be worth at least trying a batch.

djelibebbi

So my primary was indulgent and in fact the whole thing took not very long... The link above has some more pics, although not in good order... Essentially you plug in the lid to the main body and the main body to the outlet. The dial was preset to 100, but you are told to make sure it is there. I placed a mason jar under the exhaust pipe, turned it on, and 10 minutes later the jar stopped filling with alcohol and I had the AVB ass smell coming out of the unit. I got a fair bit of essence of AVB, doing the final purge of alcohol at about 75 C, this will take some tweaking to get right. Which brings up the subject of cleaning. I tried using a silicone spatula with limited success. I was able to scrape most into a silicon container, and the rest I cleaned out with more food grade alcohol which I stored back in the tincture bottle. Tried a little on a nail, got a decent buzz once I got over the ass taste (next time I'll water cure), not entirely sure I purged the hooch 100% but it had stopped bubbling.

There must be a better way to clean this shit out. With AVB I don't care so much because it's gravy anyway, but when I bust out the bud I can't be so cavalier. Maybe this is where tilting it to one side and deploying a syringe makes sense? Any tips on handling concentrates appreciated.

Overall it looks like the tech is sound and it takes 10 minutes to process 250 ml. Not sure how that scales up, this thing can go to 4 litres.

djelibebbi

Stumbled across instructional video, with tips on final purge, freeze prep etc.

Rest of that Assential oil is destined for coffee. For nail purposes I don't think avb oil is the way to go. Still, got a good buzz.

Next will do a quick wash. And figure out this picture/video shit better

Bad Ocelot

thanks for the updates, been curious about this device. Seems like it might be a solid economical option for those of us who do more small scale extractions.

djelibebbi

Watching more video, the guy let a pretty obvious tidbit out. I can get 40: alcohol in Ontario. I can make my own 95% with that, using this device. No more trips to Hull necessary!

Wizsteve

There must be a better way to clean this shit out.

Yes there is you need to purify the solvent mixture thru activated charcoal while in its first stage filter (This removes the color),than boil stir l and filter again (this removes the wax) and repeat heat stir than filter . do this till its clean

If you was doing a hi volume i would suggest a hi end water purifier (non plastic) solvent gets pumped thru it and becomes pure goodness.

Last edited:
Wizsteve,

djelibebbi

Thanks for the info. Not sure this will be an issue with quick wash going forward but if it is I'll apply this. I'm mostly using my avb for butter or coconut oil

djelibebbi,

Wizsteve

Yes you can and should filter even the quick wash you will notice the difference.

Nice machine btw, i was going to pick one up like this a few years ago let know how well this one works.

You can also use it to change cheap box wine into fine brandy.
or even make some home brew from scratch :brow:

Last edited:

djelibebbi

So after applying some filtration (55 m -> 25m -> brita) all in the freezer the pre purge liquid came out milky, and the residual film was gold ish (see below)

Using silicone spatula works with a dab tool, blah blah concentrates 101

Last edited:
djelibebbi,

killick

But I like it!
I love my gom! Quick wash dab oil, IMHO, should be a fresh, non decarbed flower thing. Abv oil is probably best left for cookies.

As far as making weak alcohol stronger, have your thought about making your own alcohol and using the gom to clean it? You can make 20% easily enough, and run it through the machine till it's closer to 90... ;)

killick,

djelibebbi

Killick, should have clarified last run was with fresh bud. I did indeed find a recipe for making booze form scratch, sounds good so long as you can take out the the methanol that comes out first.

Agree on the AVB oil, although my buddy swears by this feco he did with it. But he doesn't care abou thitngs like ash/carbon left behind, taste, etc.

I tend to use my AVB for butter

djelibebbi,
Reactions: killick

djelibebbi

I love my gom! Quick wash dab oil, IMHO, should be a fresh, non decarbed flower thing. Abv oil is probably best left for cookies.

As far as making weak alcohol stronger, have your thought about making your own alcohol and using the gom to clean it? You can make 20% easily enough, and run it through the machine till it's closer to 90... ;)
Question for you killick - do you have any tips on how you harvest your oil? Do you somehow get it into a vacuum chamber?

djelibebbi,
Reactions: killick

killick

But I like it!
I found some great syringes with blunt stainless needles. They suck the oil up well when it's warm.

Another trick, if you aren't going to vape it, is to add a teaspoon of coconut oil at the end. It makes it much easier to handle.

I use coconut oil to clean the machine, too. It absorbs green, plus it's anti bacterial. You can add the cleaning solution to coffee ;)

djelibebbi

So, needles in short supply, I tried an oral syringe. Errl not deep enough. However I've tweaked my process, not sure I need it anymore. Questioning the need for a vacuum oven now.

So I had maybe 2 or 3 Oz of avb, this time I water cured it until the water was clear, ran it through this dehydrator I picked up at canadian tire for $60, froze it and some ethanol for a couple days (scheduling issues) and did the 55 microns to 25 microns in the freezer, no brita, into the GOM.

This time when the alcohol stopped coming out I tried something new - I scraped it off with a spatula instead of trying to reduce. The alcohol evaporated off and my scrapy tool peeled off a nice amber strip of pull and snap. I am collecting a ball, pics and weight when I'm done. Not shatter but hell...

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
Is there a spec sheet for this thing? Or an advertisement listing its capabilities?

Their website didn't have a whole lot of information. It seems like something with a wide surface area for heating would be best, no?

I've so far only seen this and the source. If you know of any third one let me know please. Thanks.

http://www.greenoilmachine.com/default.asp

thisperson,

killick

But I like it!
... And just realised I skipped second wash...

I have a bunch of mason jars of material thats had a quick wash, dried ona cookie sheet, and in the jar til I get around to it. There's a lot there...

Is there a spec sheet for this thing? Or an advertisement listing its capabilities?

Their website didn't have a whole lot of information. It seems like something with a wide surface area for heating would be best, no?

I've so far only seen this and the source. If you know of any third one let me know please. Thanks.

http://www.greenoilmachine.com/default.asp

GOM has a facebook group that is really helpful. There is another unit called the Megahome Distiller that looks pretty similar to the GOM, but I've not seen it in person.

killick,

djelibebbi

Surface area is fairly wide. About an 8 inch radius circle with a one gallon capacity (see top pics)

After a lot of reading I've come to the conclusion that if
i want shatter, in addition to using 10 micron filtration (filters and buchner funnel in transit) I will have to get a vacuum chamber, pump, and maybe a heating attachment. The GOM will ultimately be used to make ethanol and reduce/reclaim it in quick wash, but short of purging.

djelibebbi,
Reactions: poonman

djelibebbi

Looks like my name is exposed in the Google album in the second post

Don't really care but working on a work around

djelibebbi,

killick

But I like it!
After a lot of reading I've come to the conclusion that if
i want shatter, in addition to using 10 micron filtration (filters and buchner funnel in transit) I will have to get a vacuum chamber, pump, and maybe a heating attachment. The GOM will ultimately be used to make ethanol and reduce/reclaim it in quick wash, but short of purging.

So I was chatting with a plumber a few weeks back and they tend to just use vacuum to make shatter. The fridge mechs make vacuum pumps out of old refrigerator compressors. Anyways, that might be a fun project some day.

Your plan looks interesting indeed! I process the same amount each month, and am still trying to figure out the simplest to process two or three personal batches a month...

killick,
Top Bottom