• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I can easily get 3 full trenches out of my MFLB batteries, which are just plain rechargeable AA batteries, about the same size as the GH batteries (not convection, I know, so its not exactly a fair comparison). You can buy lithium AA batteries the same size as normal AA batteries that last 8x as long as standard batteries.

While I feel the actual vape time may be less than what they say, its certainly not impossible to be able to do multiple loads in something the size of the GH, we have that technology.

I'm afraid that this is not just an unfair comparison; these are near completely incomparable technologies. The amount of power required to maintain a heated stream of air capable of vaporizing cannabis is several orders of magnitude above that of heating a piece of mesh up to vaporization temperature. On demand heating takes that up even more. Of course this can be mitigated by intelligent design and insulation, but only to a point.

It's far from empirical data, but in my tests I've found that the MFLB consumes roughly 5 - 7 watts of power depending on the state and charge of batteries in use. This is not a lot of power by any stretch, and in fact I would not be surprised if this is the lowest power consumption of any vaporizer on the market. The MFLB's design, with the herb resting directly against the heating element is what makes this possible.

I think it would be much more informative to look at some of the other portables on the market that are a little bit closer to the kind of internal design that the Grasshopper is going to need to have to be able to meet its claims. For example the Solo, which still has quite a bit of a conduction factor, but I digress. This vaporizer consumes closer to 30 watts, and requires at least a minute to build up enough of a thermal mass to sustain vaporization.

The firefly is a better comparison, but I am having a hard time finding hard information on how much power it consumes per hit. However, taking into consideration the battery packs specs (8.4v/750mAh) and user reports of mean battery life (~40 hits) I can estimate that it is around 55 watts per second. If someone can use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the heater and send it to me, I can find out for sure.

These are both huge units. They have big heaters, big batteries, and they perform well because of that. The firefly is at the absolute cutting edge of portable technology right now, and it needs to be to be able to sustain the kind of heater power that is requires to heat up a steady stream of room temperature air to 200 degrees Celcius on demand.

This kind of a vaporizer is not impossible. On demand heating is already present in other vaporizers, and battery technology just keeps getting better. But right now, I just don't see it as being plausible. I keep running the data points in my mind and keeping coming to the same conclusion; that a vaporizer capable of all of these claims is either going to be very large, or it's going to cost a lot more than 99 dollars. Probably both.

Last edited:

natural farmer

I'm afraid that this is not just an unfair comparison; these are near completely incomparable technologies. The amount of power required to maintain a heated stream of air capable of vaporizing cannabis is several orders of magnitude above that of heating a piece of mesh up to vaporization temperature. On demand heating takes that up even more. Of course this can be mitigated by intelligent design and insulation, but only to a point.

It's far from empirical data, but in my tests I've found that the MFLB consumes roughly 5 - 7 watts of power depending on the state and charge of batteries in use. This is not a lot of power by any stretch, and in fact I would not be surprised if this is the lowest power consumption of any vaporizer on the market. The MFLB's design, with the herb resting directly against the heating element is what makes this possible.

I think it would be much more informative to look at some of the other portables on the market that are a little bit closer to the kind of internal design that the Grasshopper is going to need to have to be able to meet its claims. For example the Solo, which still has quite a bit of a conduction factor, but I digress. This vaporizer consumes closer to 30 watts, and requires at least a minute to build up enough of a thermal mass to sustain vaporization.

The firefly is a better comparison, but I am having a hard time finding hard information on how much power it consumes per hit. However, taking into consideration the battery packs specs (8.4v/750mAh) and user reports of mean battery life (~40 hits) I can estimate that it is around 55 watts per second. If someone can use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the heater and send it to me, I can find out for sure.

These are both huge units. They have big heaters, big batteries, and they perform well because of that. The firefly is at the absolute cutting edge of portable technology right now, and it needs to be to be able to sustain the kind of heater power that is requires to heat up a steady stream of room temperature air to 200 degrees Celcius on demand.

This kind of a vaporizer is not impossible. On demand heating is already present in other vaporizers, and battery technology just keeps getting better. But right now, I just don't see it as being plausible. I keep running the data points in my mind and keeping coming to the same conclusion; that a vaporizer capable of all of these claims is either going to be very large, or it's going to cost a lot more than 99 dollars. Probably both.

Great post @CentiZen!!! :nod:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I hope that earlier customers will make me lie but the third usage video don't proof anything, especially if it's a 200+ usd vape pen, the guy don't keep the vapor in his lungs and the exhaled vapor is minimal.

On this price range I expect something more cloudy, I'm not a cloud chaser but I like to be able to get clouds when I want....

But I'm agree that the abv colour is a good sign...

Why I can't get a picture of the inside of the herb chamber? Is it to protect their technology? Because this picture will help people to wait and to believe in the GH.

PPN,

SlinginPaint

As Above ∞ So Below
I hope that earlier customers will make me lie but the third usage video don't proof anything, especially if it's a 200+ usd vape pen, the guy don't keep the vapor in his lungs and the exhaled vapor is minimal.

On this price range I expect something more cloudy, I'm not a cloud chaser but I like to be able to get clouds when I want....

But I'm agree that the abv colour is a good sign...

Why I can't get a picture of the inside of the herb chamber? Is it to protect their technology? Because this picture will help people to wait and to believe in the GH.

Remember the temp was set at 360... pretty low for most of us here..

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
I think the low temps look great, if it can produce that at 360 then I think for me myself and I the higher temps will do.

I don't get those kinds of clouds at 360 from my portables, I have to turn it up high to achieve that.

for a small discreet herb vape pen, looks pretty good so far. Remember that this is still a prototype in that video, they announced the date being pushed back due to parts, tooling, and adding whatever features or tweaks they think will make it even better .

EDIT
My lotus can kick some serious vapor :oI just dont know what temp the clouds are coming in at.
The PNP on the heat setting #1 approx. 370 doesn't give me clouds like that, but once I bump it up to level 2+ I can get that amount of vapor or more!!!
So I have my fingers crossed that it only gets better!!!
We will have to wait and see till about april maybe june to see if it performs as stated or better, It sucks to not know for sure but after the fiasco going on right now with other vape or vapes, I will have to stay positive until I can put it thru its paces.:ugh::ugh:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:

Fenton Mewley

A man in search of cloudier pastures
Just a paranoid haedcase here:

But, what if their temp settings aren't actually what they claim (their temp dial isn't accurate). Maybe this is why they need more time for tweaking?

Pure speculation, just wondering how a few portables set at that temp can't match a prototype.

James C

EDM and vapor enthusiast
And one has to wonder why they used a temp that low when demonstrating the cloud production from the GH, eh?

This is certainly a bit suspicious to me... I wonder if it really was at 360˚ or if its an accurate temperature gauge.

James C,

llamaman001

Unless its using some type of unknown vaping technique I just cant see it pumping out vapor like that at 360...keep in mind LEVEL 1 on the solo is 365...youll never blow clouds like that at 360.

I just think this company needs to take an hour out of their day and show us exactly what this pen is and what it can do.

Its pretty simple IMO, start the video camera, show what level the pen is being set at..load it...vape it. No cuts, no moving the camera, just a pure recording of a session. While your at it a session at every temp level. I understand they are busy but come on, you cant tell me they dont have time to PROVE their product works and get more sales while they are at? IMO their advertising and videos are insufficient and have only left doubt in my mind. But then again they dont have the FINAL product in their hands yet so maybe they dont want to film more because the final product might be different.

llamaman001

no need for a live stream, just record someone having a session on every temp level. I assumed this product would be ready by march but now Im thinking that May will probably be more realistic.

llamaman001,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I doubt they could do that, they don't seem to have interest in videos, and it takes them ages to make a single video.

I agree though, its not hard, are they not vaping once throughout their day? (No wonder they think the battery last forever.)

But it would be quicker and more efficient with a live stream, plus you could rewatch it once its over. Live Q and A, with the grassHopper in their hands seems like the way to go.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
:uhoh::tinfoil::ninja:
good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes good vibes
:bowdown::spidey:
:popcorn:

natural farmer

I understand they are busy but come on, you cant tell me they dont have time to PROVE their product works and get more sales while they are at? IMO their advertising and videos are insufficient and have only left doubt in my mind. But then again they dont have the FINAL product in their hands yet so maybe they dont want to film more because the final product might be different.

No matter what doubts those vids have left in a bunch of vape geeks like us, they have managed to raise a respectable amount of cash and have pre sold a respectable number of units. So why bother with making vids and not the actually product, ship it to a ton of reviewers and let them make the vids and reviews and sell the rest of the production? I know I would… ;) Does Apple make a bunch of vids before releasing a new ground-breaking product to raise sales? :cool: :2c:

tomba

Manager
I asked about new video, and Trevor said: "I will see about something up this month. I know you guys want to see more. Thanks for checking in!"

But... You never know.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I don't think we were sending bad vibes, just curious why they can't record each other vaping, I don't live in a medical state and I have been able to do it and I use my real name. I know it's not hard to take a quick vine or instagram video.

But like I kind of mentioned in my edit, I don't see anything wrong with the video or temp they said, I know the extreme q isn't super accurate due to distance from the heater but 356 f gives me results. And I like to think the actual temperature is lower than what my herb feels.

Apple has a live unveiling for their new products, which you can re-watch later.

I don't really have interest in more usage videos, only video updates or updates that show the progress of the gH. Like boxes of progress.

I suggest live streaming because it's easy and efficient, I've seen it done through other kickstarter, indiegogos, and even with game developers. While its not something they have to or should do it would be appreciated, I just dislike their short vague rare responses, I ask one question to refine next. We should be lucky for them to answer once.

Last edited:

zymos

Funding is over- why should they bother trying to satisfy people's suspicions with more videos? People who believed in the product enough to fund it already have, and those that were skeptical can wait till it is released and it gets reviewed.

The money is in the bank, they'll either deliver on their promise or not- I just don't see how releasing any more videos is relevant at this point.

luckypucky

Covered in Peepaws
Also these guys aren't graphic designers/video editors.. They take forever with one because they are not experts at providing that service! lol hell if they sent me the vids I'd edit them easily but that's because I put the time in to learn how/part of my profession. But, If they did the videos next thing you know everyone will complain about the angle it was shot or what the dude was wearing.. So damned if you do it damned if you don't. I just want to get my grasshopper and be the first.. Then Review it. I may not be an expert vaporologist but hey people would get a sense of what they would be getting right?

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Why would they make videos of the prototypes, the production model isn't out yet.
I agree with @paytonpenn, that some pics of progress is what we need now.
Like stacks of 100's of these things on the production line.
They were suppose to begin assembly in December, and I understand getting the first batch and then requests and feeling the need to improve, this is why I was expecting it not to arrive in February initially, but I felt that way before I pledged for my first gH.

I am delighted they care about quality enough to delay and the reason they gave was good in my opinion
Hope everyone is doing well! The Grasshopper project is moving along with steam as we enter February. After receiving production samples, we’ve decided to make some small revisions and run another round of samples on several small parts. In spite of the delay this will cause, we believe that this is a wise choice. Heading into production without perfect confidence is not a risk we are willing to take.

Due to the 30 day lead-time that our injection molds and extruder tooling require, the timetable has been pushed back slightly. We’re waiting on the manufacturers for the exact date that the tooling will be ready. Our estimated delivery date has been moved to April. You contributed for a revolutionary vaporizer, and we won’t be satisfied with delivering anything less than that.
I'm not asking for videos of the prototypes or usage, just pics or videos that you're doing something, or receiving items. And I have little concern in video in general, I just wouldn't mind if they did an ama on reddit or a livestream Q&A. But those wouldn't be needed if they would come on FC and just chat more than once a month.

paytonpenn,

Adobewan

Just curious from having been in the Versa thread.
With credit cards and Paypal, there are ways to file a dispute, so I'm wondering is there a way to get your money back/claim a dispute through Indiegogo.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Just curious from having been in the Versa thread.
With credit cards and Paypal, there are ways to file a dispute, so I'm wondering is there a way to get your money back/claim a dispute through Indiegogo.

Unless I mis-understand this the process, there is no money to "get back." The backers have not bought a product, but, rather, funded a start up. If the start-up can make a product, it will give them to their backers. If not, it is not unlike funding a start-up company, but without a stake or shares in the company.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Unless its using some type of unknown vaping technique I just cant see it pumping out vapor like that at 360...keep in mind LEVEL 1 on the solo is 365...youll never blow clouds like that at 360.

I just think this company needs to take an hour out of their day and show us exactly what this pen is and what it can do.

Its pretty simple IMO, start the video camera, show what level the pen is being set at..load it...vape it. No cuts, no moving the camera, just a pure recording of a session. While your at it a session at every temp level. I understand they are busy but come on, you cant tell me they dont have time to PROVE their product works and get more sales while they are at? IMO their advertising and videos are insufficient and have only left doubt in my mind. But then again they dont have the FINAL product in their hands yet so maybe they dont want to film more because the final product might be different.
Level 2 on the Solo is what you said was 1. Level 1 is 122f, level 2 is 365f.

http://arizersolo.net/faqs/what-tem...sent-on-the-arizer-solo-where-should-i-start/

I get thin but tasty hits at level 2, vapor becomes more noticeable at 3 and up.

What really irks me is that they have time to send emails out but not time to make a post here. Sure, some may say the astroturfing/spamming/IP address thing was kinda bad and we did grill them for it, but they just dropped us. Yeah they don't "owe" us anything, I understand that. I'm sure they really dislike FC despite how much it's members helped. The choice is theirs not to come back, that's fine... but honestly I've lost interest now. No updates on here, I don't really care for twitter/fb, I really don't want another email or two or three on top of what I already get a day.

No one owes anyone anything but it left a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Could be my meds (non-cannabis stuff), idk. I'm sure none of us will receive beta/demo devices either if/when that comes to fruition

luckypucky

Covered in Peepaws
Level 2 on the Solo is what you said was 1. Level 1 is 122f, level 2 is 365f.

http://arizersolo.net/faqs/what-tem...sent-on-the-arizer-solo-where-should-i-start/

I get thin but tasty hits at level 2, vapor becomes more noticeable at 3 and up.

What really irks me is that they have time to send emails out but not time to make a post here. Sure, some may say the astroturfing/spamming/IP address thing was kinda bad and we did grill them for it, but they just dropped us. Yeah they don't "owe" us anything, I understand that. I'm sure they really dislike FC despite how much it's members helped. The choice is theirs not to come back, that's fine... but honestly I've lost interest now. No updates on here, I don't really care for twitter/fb, I really don't want another email or two or three on top of what I already get a day.

No one owes anyone anything but it left a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Could be my meds (non-cannabis stuff), idk. I'm sure none of us will receive beta/demo devices either if/when that comes to fruition

They mostly communicate thru reddit now am I right? Where all the kool kids are now anyways.. On the no one is getting anything front for reasons I'm not informed on/late to the party.. Unless we all said when we backed OMGFC4EVER! I don't think they are likely to not sent certain people the product just because they aren't fond of a forum... ?

If you have lost interest hey just ignore the thread so your not as frustrated, and if they do pull through then hey "surprise" in your mail box!!

Sooo Let's not crowd the last flotation boat off the titanic as it sinks just yet..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom