The Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

bounce5

I get that you said "may". I'm a Buzz fan...I trust his reviews. But I am looking forward to reviews of production level grasshoppers, rather than Buzz's one-off. We can only hope that all "mass produced" GH's get the same TLC that Buzz's unit (likely) received.

I also liked and appreciated his review. I think it's good to take reviewers with a grain of salt though. I'm a big fan of a combination of reviews from seasoned FC members. A "collective buzz" fan, if you will.

grokit

well-worn member
With all of these mass-produced tiny parts, I would be amazed if they all fit together perfectly the first time. Besides developing best-practice assembly protocols, I would be very surprised if not a single part has to be re-manufactured, or if they didn't discover a need for a new tiny fastener/ring/clip/sleeve of some type to make the whole thing fit properly/work as designed. Then and only then can they scale up production.

hippogriff

With all of these mass-produced tiny parts, I would be amazed if they all fit together perfectly the first time. Besides developing best-practice assembly protocols, I would be very surprised if not a single part has to be re-manufactured, or if they didn't discover a need for a new tiny fastener/ring/clip/sleeve of some type to make the whole thing fit properly/work as designed. Then and only then can they scale up production.
Me, too, but I temper that thinking, as engineers, they've kinda front-loaded their development, and have already gone through at least a couple rounds of re-manufacturing with several parts (clips! cliiiiiips!).

Uzer

This was posted on Reddit today by user OliverBabish.

Hey everyone,

My name is Andrew Rea, I'm a documentary filmmaker in New York City, and like some of you, I am a Grasshopper backer. I was as excited and impatient as you to finally get my hands on this storied device, to the point where I masterminded a scheme to visit Colorado and finally get to see where our Indiegogo dollars went, while making some videos for you all to enjoy. I got to meet the dedicated minds behind Hopper Labs, and get an all-access look at the design, engineering, and functionality of the Grasshopper. They agreed that I could share with you a diary of my experiences - I think what I've seen here will only make you more excited for the device you're on the very precipice of enjoying yourself. The first of a few videos I've made for Hopper Labs will be posted here in a few days!

Day 1

Dear Diary,

After a harrowing experience flying out of New York City amidst a snow storm, crushed between a talkative biker and a splaying, jittery teenager, I arrived in the Centennial State. I met Trevor and Matt for breakfast, where they finally presented me with a matte black box, which I ripped open like a Christmas present. I immediately began fiddling away, and while I couldn't enjoy the state's newfound cash crop in the diner, I was able to inspect the Grasshopper's rugged construction and blistering heat up time. The rear button is exquisite - a thick, clean, crisp click emanating from a robust mechanism. They explained to me how the rear end alone has 28 separate components, but the unit contains no wires. The body acts as a means of communication between the front and rear of the unit, controlling temperature, shut off time, and a litany of other processes on two minuscule 2mm microchips. After a long day of shooting, I was finally was able to rip it right. The Grasshopper demands a hard draw to function correctly, but it's not laborious - air flows liberally through the eight holes drilled laterally around the body. The vapor is warm, mild, and thick - not quite the billowing clouds you'd get from a Volcano or Arizer Extreme, but much thicker than that of a Pax or Magic Flight Launch Box. The chamber contents emerged an even, toasty brown, cooked perfectly at the second-to-highest temperature setting. After a few draws, the tip would get warm, but would only grow hot after continued use - Matt and Trevor explained how they were developing a solution. At midnight, I picked up my producer from the airport, brought a loaner unit back to our hotel, and fogged up my room deep into the night.

Yours in chastity,

Andrew

Day 2

Dear Diary,

Today was focused on documenting the construction of a Grasshopper from start to finish. We saw bars of aluminum lathed down to size, circuit boards half the size of a dime delicately soldered together under intense magnification, testing equipment buzz and whir to life, 3D printers fabricate temporary parts and molds, and each piece gently coaxed together into a functioning unit. After covering the assembly process, we decided to get some footage of the Grasshopper out and about, so we hiked up a trail to get some beautiful vistas of the mountains circling Boulder. There, we enjoyed the speed and discretion of the tiny vaporizer - Matt explained how they wanted to build something more powerful than anyone would ever need, built the "correct" way, not the easy way. Their passion for the project shone during their interviews later that night, where they shared the story of how they came to establish Hopper Labs. They told me how they used to invent and build back in high school, and how much of themselves they've put into their product. We're excited to start building a story from the different chapters seen here so far.

Fondly,

Andrew

Day 3

Dear Diary,

Our last day of production started off shakily, but quickly turned into one of the greatest strokes of luck we've encountered on a film set. We started the day with only one subject ready to try the Hopper on camera - not nearly enough to get the wide swath of opinions and experiences we were after. While shooting some b-roll in downtown Boulder, however, we happened across some dispensary employees who were excited to weigh in. One even offered up his acoustically-tiled basement music room to conduct the interviews in. It was a bit cramped, but turned out to be the perfect environment where experts could give their two cents. Their response was overwhelmingly positive, particularly toward the Hopper's robust design, quick heat-up time, and clean flavor. After a marathon of interview sessions, we finally wrapped production, warmly shaking hands and bidding each other good luck with the tasks that lay before us. Before I headed back to NYC, however, I did what anyone would do - packed the Grasshopper to the gills with Colorado's finest Afghan Kush, and headed to Fogo de Chão for a neverending grilled meat orgy. I learned a lot during my trip to Colorado (other than how awesome legalized cannabis is) - meeting Matt & Trevor was an eye-opening experience. They're great engineers, great entrepreneurs, and great people; they've worked tirelessly since the Indiegogo campaign, forgoing normal lives in the pursuit of building something great. They've inspired me work harder and push out into new ventures. I can't wait to get home and start editing footage, but more than that, I can't wait to have a Hopper of my very own!

Hugz,

Andie

http://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/356v6z/the_grasshopper_diaries_xpost_rgrasshoppervape/

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
This was posted on Reddit today by user OliverBabish.

Hey everyone,

My name is Andrew Rea, I'm a documentary filmmaker in New York City, and like some of you, I am a Grasshopper backer. I was as excited and impatient as you to finally get my hands on this storied device, to the point where I masterminded a scheme to visit Colorado and finally get to see where our Indiegogo dollars went, while making some videos for you all to enjoy. I got to meet the dedicated minds behind Hopper Labs, and get an all-access look at the design, engineering, and functionality of the Grasshopper. They agreed that I could share with you a diary of my experiences - I think what I've seen here will only make you more excited for the device you're on the very precipice of enjoying yourself. The first of a few videos I've made for Hopper Labs will be posted here in a few days!

Day 1

Dear Diary,

After a harrowing experience flying out of New York City amidst a snow storm, crushed between a talkative biker and a splaying, jittery teenager, I arrived in the Centennial State. I met Trevor and Matt for breakfast, where they finally presented me with a matte black box, which I ripped open like a Christmas present. I immediately began fiddling away, and while I couldn't enjoy the state's newfound cash crop in the diner, I was able to inspect the Grasshopper's rugged construction and blistering heat up time. The rear button is exquisite - a thick, clean, crisp click emanating from a robust mechanism. They explained to me how the rear end alone has 28 separate components, but the unit contains no wires. The body acts as a means of communication between the front and rear of the unit, controlling temperature, shut off time, and a litany of other processes on two minuscule 2mm microchips. After a long day of shooting, I was finally was able to rip it right. The Grasshopper demands a hard draw to function correctly, but it's not laborious - air flows liberally through the eight holes drilled laterally around the body. The vapor is warm, mild, and thick - not quite the billowing clouds you'd get from a Volcano or Arizer Extreme, but much thicker than that of a Pax or Magic Flight Launch Box. The chamber contents emerged an even, toasty brown, cooked perfectly at the second-to-highest temperature setting. After a few draws, the tip would get warm, but would only grow hot after continued use - Matt and Trevor explained how they were developing a solution. At midnight, I picked up my producer from the airport, brought a loaner unit back to our hotel, and fogged up my room deep into the night.

Yours in chastity,

Andrew

Day 2

Dear Diary,

Today was focused on documenting the construction of a Grasshopper from start to finish. We saw bars of aluminum lathed down to size, circuit boards half the size of a dime delicately soldered together under intense magnification, testing equipment buzz and whir to life, 3D printers fabricate temporary parts and molds, and each piece gently coaxed together into a functioning unit. After covering the assembly process, we decided to get some footage of the Grasshopper out and about, so we hiked up a trail to get some beautiful vistas of the mountains circling Boulder. There, we enjoyed the speed and discretion of the tiny vaporizer - Matt explained how they wanted to build something more powerful than anyone would ever need, built the "correct" way, not the easy way. Their passion for the project shone during their interviews later that night, where they shared the story of how they came to establish Hopper Labs. They told me how they used to invent and build back in high school, and how much of themselves they've put into their product. We're excited to start building a story from the different chapters seen here so far.

Fondly,

Andrew

Day 3

Dear Diary,

Our last day of production started off shakily, but quickly turned into one of the greatest strokes of luck we've encountered on a film set. We started the day with only one subject ready to try the Hopper on camera - not nearly enough to get the wide swath of opinions and experiences we were after. While shooting some b-roll in downtown Boulder, however, we happened across some dispensary employees who were excited to weigh in. One even offered up his acoustically-tiled basement music room to conduct the interviews in. It was a bit cramped, but turned out to be the perfect environment where experts could give their two cents. Their response was overwhelmingly positive, particularly toward the Hopper's robust design, quick heat-up time, and clean flavor. After a marathon of interview sessions, we finally wrapped production, warmly shaking hands and bidding each other good luck with the tasks that lay before us. Before I headed back to NYC, however, I did what anyone would do - packed the Grasshopper to the gills with Colorado's finest Afghan Kush, and headed to Fogo de Chão for a neverending grilled meat orgy. I learned a lot during my trip to Colorado (other than how awesome legalized cannabis is) - meeting Matt & Trevor was an eye-opening experience. They're great engineers, great entrepreneurs, and great people; they've worked tirelessly since the Indiegogo campaign, forgoing normal lives in the pursuit of building something great. They've inspired me work harder and push out into new ventures. I can't wait to get home and start editing footage, but more than that, I can't wait to have a Hopper of my very own!

Hugz,

Andie

http://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/356v6z/the_grasshopper_diaries_xpost_rgrasshoppervape/
...and absolutely no mention of the BOXES! :rant:

Snappo,
Reactions: grokit

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
I would like to know when this visit was.... was it back when buzz went? cuz if thats the case then it is nothing new except more videos (which are cool dont get me wrong) that will be about beta GH's. May have been released but the skeptic in me says GH just gave the ok to release that today to keep people at bay and relax with good news (hence the lack of dates in the post).... but hopefully this is all recent events and they are production products being talked about

vapebuddy13,

DirtD1V3R

Yeah it was in March right before they left for China. The op stated it in a comment to another redditer. It will still be cool to get another person's perspective on the whole thing. Also, we will be able to see whether there are differences or consitencies between this person and buzz's experience. But it won't be with a production model and there won't be much (if any) new info.

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
Yeah it was in March right before they left for China. The op stated it in a comment to another redditer. It will still be cool to get another person's perspective on the whole thing. Also, we will be able to see whether there are differences or consitencies between this person and buzz's experience. But it won't be with a production model and there won't be much (if any) new info.
that is the main plus I think + there being more videos of the GH out, even if its preproduction but I have a feeling the lack of dates and the just posting of this now is a bit sketchy

vapebuddy13,

hippogriff

Like the confirmation that the GH is a "fast" vape - I'll be very interested in how fast I can cash a bowl around 370-385f for heady effects. Too bad this report is, essentially, from March, specifically because of comments about production "and each piece gently coaxed together into a functioning unit." I'm assuming these test units were cobbled together from production test-runs and hand made/fit parts - until we see a pile of completed units and, even better, shipping notifications, I just can't convince myself they really have 100% of parts in and final units being assembled.

hippogriff,

Krazzykid

I am seeing discrepancies with that reddit post already.

Says his visit was back in March, and he can't wait to get his own Grasshopper. Then in a comment below that, this is posted
"Thank you!
'Best' is a strong word - one of the greatest, yes. The BEST, I'd say, is my Storz & Bickel Crafty - but that's almost 3x the price and 4x the size. Considering the Grasshopper's size, beautiful design, and cost - it's a truly exceptional vaporizer, worth every penny and all the wait.

I took it to a concert last week and it was an instant hit with my friends (and some random concert-goers) - personally, I wouldn't make it my primary at-home vape, but out and about, it's a thing of wonder.

Overall score? 4.5/5."

Did they get to keep a unit, or not?

Last edited:

Uzer

that is the main plus I think + there being more videos of the GH out, even if its preproduction but I have a feeling the lack of dates and the just posting of this now is a bit sketchy

So are you insinuating that Buzz's video release was designed to keep us occupied until May and now Mr Rea's video will keep us occupied through summer?

But seriously, I didn't even take the time to consider that this guys post was about a visit in March. I posted it here thinking it was recent.

Uzer,

Uzer

I am seeing discrepancies with that reddit post already.

Says his visit was back in March, and he can't wait to get his own Grasshopper. Then in a comment below that, this is posted
"Thank you!
'Best' is a strong word - one of the greatest, yes. The BEST, I'd say, is my Storz & Bickel Crafty - but that's almost 3x the price and 4x the size. Considering the Grasshopper's size, beautiful design, and cost - it's a truly exceptional vaporizer, worth every penny and all the wait.

I took it to a concert last week and it was an instant hit with my friends (and some random concert-goers) - personally, I wouldn't make it my primary at-home vape, but out and about, it's a thing of wonder.

Overall score? 4.5/5."

Did they get to keep a unit, or not?

His response

"Haha yep I've got some continuity errors there - I wrote that journal back in March, when I was actually there. As a thank-you for making these videos for them, they let me take home a loaner prototype, which I'm still happily utilizing."

So much for fast editing.

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Read it again....
:rant:He said "box", I said "Boxes"! "...and absolutely no mention of the BOXES!":rant:There's something going on here that they're not telling us:suspicious::tinfoil:... I Hate Conspiracies! :ninja: Could sizable shipments of v3.0 GH units already have been received by the Chinese for Peking public distribution, like some FC UVO theorists strongly believe - while the rest of Earth's population floats aimlessly adrift in the cosmos? Ancient astronauts were likely the first to have introduced "Black Boxes" perhaps hundreds of thousands of years BC...:brow::ko::p:o:rolleyes:
:rolleyes::rockon:

Last edited:

Mr Mellish

I've been sitting on the sidelines, not getting too worried about this because I have other vapes. HOWEVER, the timing on this release of the journal and (perhaps) video leaves me a bit unsettled. Especially since the journal was so vague about when the visit was (although the mention of the NY snow storm was a HUGE red flag).

There does seem to be a misguided intent to pacify here that suggests more to the story.

Mr Mellish,

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
So are you insinuating that Buzz's video release was designed to keep us occupied until May and now Mr Rea's video will keep us occupied through summer?

But seriously, I didn't even take the time to consider that this guys post was about a visit in March. I posted it here thinking it was recent.
Nah, Buzz went, enjoyed his time, checked out the GH and reported back to us... wasnt to keep us occupied but to inform us of his experiences he just recently had and still having with a prototype he just received... this is a similar story, from the same time, but coming out much later... not saying it IS the reason for this post being done today/not including dates, just cant help point it out with the skepticism the thread brings out

@Snappo too funny

lwien

Ancient astronauts were likely the first to have introduced "Black Boxes" perhaps hundreds of thousands of years BC...:brow::ko::p:o:rolleyes:
:rolleyes::rockon:

This is exactly how I view the members here getting their hands on their first GH box dropped off by UPS on an early Saturday morning, eagerly awaiting their GH after the tracking number said it would be delivered that morning. They were so excited, that they even invited some friends over to spend the night for the morning unboxing. "Is it real? I can't believe that it's actually here ...."(Fast forward to 1:47)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom