The Grasshopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

havok9

So you are saying this pen will not likely be good for oils? That's too bad. I've grown tired of dealing with my cheap pen and was hoping maybe the hopper would be good for dry herbs at home and oil on the go...

(not sure why the quote I tried didn't work there...tried to quote paytonpenn)

havok9,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I'm sure it will fine, they seem smart enough to create a way for it to work well.

I think the temperatures they state to us are primarily oriented towards herb. I don't know if they have oil concepts but I do, unfortunately most involve the temperature scaling up, but maybe that won't be needed; the Versa has taught me that magic is real and the airflow just needs manipulation for the temperature to drastically increase without actually changing the dial.

DirtD1V3R

I went ahead and updated my order. I bought a backup battery and a SS protective case/stash tube thing to add to my green titanium GH. Maybe it is premature and maybe I am an idiot for investing even more $ but idc at this point lol. Pretty pumped. I can't wait until April! What other accessories have other people purchased with their GH? What other accessories, besides the ones they have already shown us, do you hope they come out with?

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I went ahead and updated my order. I bought a backup battery and a SS protective case/stash tube thing to add to my green titanium GH. Maybe it is premature and maybe I am an idiot for investing even more $ but idc at this point lol. Pretty pumped. I can't wait until April! What other accessories have other people purchased with their GH? What other accessories, besides the ones they have already shown us, do you hope they come out with?
Still hoping for a pen cap and ink mouthpiece.

Mr.tuffyino-h-i-o

So I just received my email to Preorder my grasshopper. I got on the wait list in Feb. 2014.
Still kind of on the fence to buy it or not ?? I have until this Sunday. I have a portable vape in the Pax, Solo,and I have a desktop vape Extreme Q. I don't want to be a Vape hoarder. Dammit
My downside of this grasshopper no reviews yet and the vape hits. The chamber holds .2 but in the first video the guy dumped his herb after 8 or 9 hits with light cloud vapor. I can half load my pax (bent screen ;on low temp then med temp) and get about 15 hits with nice vape clouds.

Decisions decisions? All man I think my girl gonna be bit@hing soon haha. Won't be the first time or the last.

Last edited:

Mr.tuffyino-h-i-o

If you are referring to the videos of prototypes a year ago, I wouldn't base any decisions on that...

True. But I don't have much help from the grasshopper team to make my decision any easier . Let's be honest. 1 recent video that showed changes to the vape and a odd camera angle only showing 2 hits. As you can tell by the vapes I own I like best bang for my bucks type vaporizers. I bought the Pax for $150(off a buddy who brought it from ploom), both Solo and Extreme Q for under 150$ each new.
Storz & Bickel a solid desktop company came out with portable vapes and I know they're having issues with the crafty. So a new company like the grasshopper team?
I do like the warranty and the grasshopper looks so F...ing cool

Decisions

Last edited:
Mr.tuffyino-h-i-o,

caves

Living the vape life
Decisions
While I'm super optimistic about the coming release, I'd hesitate to recommend someone to buy in at this point. Despite all the promises and hard work that's gone into it, there will most likely be growing pains. If they stay on track for backers (like me :D) and start shipping out units within the next month or two, there will be a wealth of reviews and opinions springing up all over the web.

If you're thinking about buying one, I think it makes the most sense to see what people have to say about it when they get their hands on it. If everything is perfect upon release, then you only have to wait until April (or whenever they open regular purchases). But if there are issues with the initial units, you won't have to deal with any of that and can wait until things get resolved before making the purchase.

Backers are already along for the ride, and I couldn't be more excited to see a video of a working production unit with shipping looming on the horizon. However, if you're just looking for the next great vape for your collection, I'd wait until release so you can make a better informed decision.

Stay hype though!

Mr.tuffyino-h-i-o

:hmm::hmm:
Will you wait till april to buy it?

If there is a review and good video by that time. Yes without hesitation

Yesterday and today I had a grasshopper and extra battery ready to checkout/buy it but I stopped myself

My head says No! my heart says Yes! Time to do 2 Extreme Q bags and think :hmm::mmmm:

Mr.tuffyino-h-i-o,
Reactions: killick

SecureSwede

True. But I don't have much help from the grasshopper team to make my decision any easier . Let's be honest. 1 recent video that showed changes to the vape and a odd camera angle only showing 2 hits. As you can tell by the vapes I own I like best bang for my bucks type vaporizers. I bought the Pax for $150(off a buddy who brought it from ploom), both Solo and Extreme Q for under 150$ each new.
Storz & Bickel a solid desktop company came out with portable vapes and I know they're having issues with the crafty. So a new company like the grasshopper team?
I do like the warranty and the grasshopper looks so F...ing cool

Decisions
honestly I would just wait, I swear pretty much any new portable on the market has its problems. I would say just wait it out. I doubt its going to be that big of a game changer to where you will NEED to have it in your possession. If stuff starts going wrong with the vaporizer I doubt they will have the resources to keep up with returns and replacements.

The mighty and crafty had problems... made by one of the most reputable vaporizer manufacturers we have seen at FC.

There WILL be problems with the Grasshopper. They just finished testing with their publicly released model, and have not had the time necessary to see breaks, faults, etc in the hopper.
Same goes with storz and Bickel. It is a given there will be hiccups.

OF

The mighty and crafty had problems... made by one of the most reputable vaporizer manufacturers we have seen at FC.

There WILL be problems with the Grasshopper. They just finished testing with their publicly released model, and have not had the time necessary to see breaks, faults, etc in the hopper.
Same goes with storz and Bickel. It is a given there will be hiccups.

While I don't think it's unavoidable to have troubles 'out of the chute', it's extremely rare not to for sure. Even for established companies with solid track records. Even a 'minor change' to existing models can be fought with peril.

This understanding is the reason traditional product development/release has milestones. Normally we'd build a few prototypes and pass them around for initial testing and design review. Explore things like different bowl/heater configurations, heat levels, port sizes, insulation and so on. Finally arriving at a compromise that meets as many of the goals as possible.

Then we'd make some Beta versions based on the final prototype. Functional if not cosmetically right. Several units, all alike, made by Engineering to an assortment of design levels (from sketches and arm waving to formal drawings). Testers should be 'blind' to the process and as objective and knowledgeable in the area as possible. It should not include the same guys in on the prototype testing. You're looking for new inputs and problems random customers might have.

Subject to changes/improvements from Beta testing, you do that all over again (New Beta units, looking for a mix of former and new testers) until you yield no changes.

Then you formalize your documents and a release a Pilot Run. This is a complete ('in the package') run, typically only a few dozen units, made exclusively by production people (not Engineering). The goal here is not to test the product (that was done with the last Beta run), but to ensure the documentation package (including software if involved) is complete and right. "Anybody" should be able to use only those instructions. Classically, models or examples are not allowed.

When the Pilot run is done, you can then do a cost accounting review (to be sure Sales isn't going to sell them too cheap.....) and schedule your production runs after your Production Release.

Often you sell your pilot run units, almost never a Beta unit.

Here, as is sometimes done, most if not all those traditional milestones have not been met. Or even considered as far as we know. We went from prototype to sales. A good way to come out a hero if it succeeds, but IMO the risk is clear to all who care to consider it. The fact we're a year late is part of this? It seems some major changes showed up on the road to production/shipping. Things that normally would have been resolved in Beta and Pilot Run stages.

Still, there could be some exciting breakthroughs in prototypes we don't know about driving this. Many of us, I think, hope so. If it can provide conventional levels of vapor on the very small power expenditures advertised in so compact a package IMO it may well be the wait on the tortured path to customer's hands.

IMO worth keeping an eye on......so I am?

OF

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
I wouldn't be surprised if there was some minor tweaks between the early ss models and the full-blown multicolored ti production run, if any are even still possible with the tolerances being used in the parts and assembly of the grasshopper. I would think that any changes at this stage would have to be quite minor.

OF

OF I always look forward to reading your replies.. you're an intelligent fellow.

Wow, thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure that's a given, more like I've done a lot and not forgotten it all? "Repeat the stuff that works".

OTOH, it may show that we're simply two of the guys Barnham was referring to........

Thanks again.

OF

OF,

Sinclue

OK disagree with me, I can't force you to be right
Wow, thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure that's a given, more like I've done a lot and not forgotten it all? "Repeat the stuff that works".

OTOH, it may show that we're simply two of the guys Barnham was referring to........

Thanks again.

OF

Bite my tongue...Bite my tongue :cool:

SecureSwede

While I don't think it's unavoidable to have troubles 'out of the chute', it's extremely rare not to for sure. Even for established companies with solid track records. Even a 'minor change' to existing models can be fought with peril.

This understanding is the reason traditional product development/release has milestones. Normally we'd build a few prototypes and pass them around for initial testing and design review. Explore things like different bowl/heater configurations, heat levels, port sizes, insulation and so on. Finally arriving at a compromise that meets as many of the goals as possible.

Then we'd make some Beta versions based on the final prototype. Functional if not cosmetically right. Several units, all alike, made by Engineering to an assortment of design levels (from sketches and arm waving to formal drawings). Testers should be 'blind' to the process and as objective and knowledgeable in the area as possible. It should not include the same guys in on the prototype testing. You're looking for new inputs and problems random customers might have.

Subject to changes/improvements from Beta testing, you do that all over again (New Beta units, looking for a mix of former and new testers) until you yield no changes.

Then you formalize your documents and a release a Pilot Run. This is a complete ('in the package') run, typically only a few dozen units, made exclusively by production people (not Engineering). The goal here is not to test the product (that was done with the last Beta run), but to ensure the documentation package (including software if involved) is complete and right. "Anybody" should be able to use only those instructions. Classically, models or examples are not allowed.

When the Pilot run is done, you can then do a cost accounting review (to be sure Sales isn't going to sell them too cheap.....) and schedule your production runs after your Production Release.

Often you sell your pilot run units, almost never a Beta unit.

Here, as is sometimes done, most if not all those traditional milestones have not been met. Or even considered as far as we know. We went from prototype to sales. A good way to come out a hero if it succeeds, but IMO the risk is clear to all who care to consider it. The fact we're a year late is part of this? It seems some major changes showed up on the road to production/shipping. Things that normally would have been resolved in Beta and Pilot Run stages.

Still, there could be some exciting breakthroughs in prototypes we don't know about driving this. Many of us, I think, hope so. If it can provide conventional levels of vapor on the very small power expenditures advertised in so compact a package IMO it may well be the wait on the tortured path to customer's hands.

IMO worth keeping an eye on......so I am?

OF
Oh yes I plan on keeping my eye on it, I just don't want to be an early adopter. I hope for it to succeed though! It just means another vape for my list to try :)

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
honestly I would just wait, I swear pretty much any new portable on the market has its problems. I would say just wait it out. I doubt its going to be that big of a game changer to where you will NEED to have it in your possession. If stuff starts going wrong with the vaporizer I doubt they will have the resources to keep up with returns and replacements.

We are essentially guinea pigs, I am ok with that...hopefully they hold true and fix any issues.

Don't order if you are gonna get mad if it goofs up possibly and shots "tobacco" across the room while people stare in awe.

OF

We are essentially guinea pigs, I am ok with that...hopefully they hold true and fix any issues.

I think that's a fair statement, and the risk to individuals small. But IMO it's a HUGE risk to the company. One the officers/board of an established would never accept? If it goes really bad and the company has to stand the costs of free replacements it can easily bankrupt them. It happens often enough to companies with serious experience and resources to get 'the smart money' to steer clear of such 'fast tracks'.

I've been in several development projects where we ended up doing a complete upgrade and had to abandon the design at the Pilot Run stage, not to mention multiple Beta runs. Scrapping stuff to do so and suffering the delay (which is scheduled in if the production plan was 'right'). Here, that Beta run seems to not exist, and a very very large production run planned without a Pilot Run. So far the only 'gotcha' we know about was the scrapping and redesign on the clip......and that's not complete yet? That should have been found and fixed two steps back when it involved a few units with plenty of time to recover (Beta) or for sure when the (typically few dozen) units in Pilot Release testing failed to meet specs.

They are now selling units, that's much different than the initial contributors. If the customers close in, or the cost of recovery gets too high, the expected outcome is shutting down the show. Zero chance of folks getting a final version. And most likely the IP involved in Recievership so nobody else can exploit any breaktherouhs that might be behind that. While individuals might avoid liability by hiding behind their LLC, the IP is 'company property'.

Capitalism is all about risks and rewards. But his is, IMO, the sort of risk other Capitalist would never allow you to take with their money. This business plan would have a very tough time with the Venture Capitalists, doncha think?

Still, hope springs eternal. Wilber and Orville might just get it off the ground? The GH guys could be Wright in the end.........

OF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom