Discontinued The Grasshopper

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
That's because your hopper isn't functioning perfectly. A 100% working hopper can be pulled as hard as anyone would ever want to and continue to put out massive thick clouds.

And that is coming from a guy that wears evo merch! Real dedication to big fat clouds!

I just my hopper back and sadly only had less then 1/16 of an ounce to play with but what a crazy good heater and the batteries are holding out for 3-5 bowls that is good

But I still don't like screwing off and on top and bottom for endless battery changes but I normally never vape more then 2 bowls in a row unless I am sitting and chilling then I don't mind.
So pretty sure it stays in USB charger at the computer desk but love to figure out a screw free way for the mouth piece?, been thinking about carving out a little wooden pipe that fits straight on the hopper without mouthpiece or PFE for faster loading and no screwing

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Need ed TnT on this but I see how much energy I have on the weekend but the wood I started cutting and carving... Cut it the wrong way so the wood grains are across so I need to find a new piece of wood
As a cabinetmaker I've surprised myself by just thinking that a shaft of bamboo of right diameter may be a good starting place. Weird!
Sourcing the right piece might be problematic...
How equisitely a wood front end would alleviate the heat issue! And that short circuit shock/heat issue.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
As a cabinetmaker I've surprised myself by just thinking that a shaft of bamboo of right diameter may be a good starting place. Weird!
Sourcing the right piece might be problematic...
How equisitely a wood front end would alleviate the heat issue! And that short circuit shock/heat issue.
Was thinking about this shape here... Actually this is literally exactly the shape I was imaging but deep enough bowl for the hopper and a screen on the bottom of the pipe so you can just load hopper and stick the pipe on top
wood-pipe-3-5-teak-wood-simple-mini-tobacco-pipe-3_large.jpg

I used to have a metal pipe that folded out before but it was made out of pretty unhealthy material so I throw it in the end but something like this might be light and small so it fits with my hopper travel set

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Somehow manage to use a piece of coffee filter to make t ähe short stem fit perfectly and its. God. Damn amazing... :p:ko:
Got a pic? Would be interesting to see what you came up with.

Tomorrow marks 11 months since I’ve seen my Ti which has been residing in RMA-vile - and nary a response from HL to my last inquiry on its status. :peace:

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Got a pic? Would be interesting to see what you came up with.

Tomorrow marks 11 months since I’ve seen my Ti which has been residing in RMA-vile - and nary a response from HL to my last inquiry on its status. :peace:
Crazy that your vape has been in for so long because mine was "only" for 3 months so 11 months sounds a "bit" extreme

But I just bought a 510 drip tip and searched for "wooden 510 drip tip" and now used a thin strip of coffee filter to make it fit the PFE
20170814025611_36037_1200x1200.jpg

And here is my hopper
IMG-20190817-203637384.jpg

It's pretty weird how well it works, not talking cool vapor but without lip scorching this vape feels much more portable

Vaporific

Crazy that your vape has been in for so long because mine was "only" for 3 months so 11 months sounds a "bit" extreme

But I just bought a 510 drip tip and searched for "wooden 510 drip tip" and now used a thin strip of coffee filter to make it fit the PFE

And here is my hopper

It's pretty weird how well it works, not talking cool vapor but without lip scorching this vape feels much more portable
Cool! I like the 510 drip tip too however I don’t have a PFE and just the stock frontend. The frontend got hot once in a while for me and I used it natively for most of the time it was working; I used a silicone tip initially which eventually stretched out (and discolored) and the fit wasn’t quite right afterward. Inalmoat lost it a few times too so I went native the rest of the way. I have a new one on order with some batteries. It’ll be Christmas by the time HL gets them in stock.:peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Goal post moved again.
Batteries now projected August/September

and still with the annoying disclaimer,
"Spare batteries are on order from the manufacturer and it will be 2-4 months before they arrive. Please do not order unless you fully expect to wait that long."
So, maybe September, but expect to wait until December?
I've just ordered my second new vape since my last Grasshopper purchase. It's another pre-order, due to ship Dec., so it's a horse race between that and two Hopper batteries!

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Goal post moved again.
Batteries now projected August/September

and still with the annoying disclaimer,
"Spare batteries are on order from the manufacturer and it will be 2-4 months before they arrive. Please do not order unless you fully expect to wait that long."
So, maybe September, but expect to wait until December?
I've just ordered my second new vape since my last Grasshopper purchase. It's another pre-order, due to ship Dec., so it's a horse race between that and two Hopper batteries!

It's always good to bet on a 3 legged horse and even better is to bet on two of them at the same time .. Doubles your odds :cool:

Where there no other batteries they could have used instead of special made ones?!?!

Vaporific

It's always good to bet on a 3 legged horse and even better is to bet on two of them at the same time .. Doubles your odds :cool:

Where there no other batteries they could have used instead of special made ones?!?!
Actually the odds increase by half if you go by the number of legs :).

Seriously about the battery - how much different in size is the Hopper battery than the standard 18650 that MANY vapes and portable electronics use these days? I think this was a bad design decision, among others, and they’re again behind the eight ball in not having extra in stock - like parts for RMAs. If you don’t have any working batteries or lost the one/few you’ve had, you’re SOL!

Happy Sunday to all. Time to use my Fury 2 which has worked like a champ since day 1 (but I do miss my Hopper)...:peace:

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Actually the odds increase by half if you go by the number of legs :).

Seriously about the battery - how much different in size is the Hopper battery than the standard 18650 that MANY vapes and portable electronics use these days? I think this was a bad design decision, among others, and they’re again behind the eight ball in not having extra in stock - like parts for RMAs. If you don’t have any working batteries or lost the one/few you’ve had, you’re SOL!

Happy Sunday to all. Time to use my Fury 2 which has worked like a champ since day 1 (but I do miss my Hopper)...:peace:

Think they thought it would make bunch of money by having special hopper batteries but feel like they would have done better with picking one of these instead
e98bca1bd88bf2f32628930cb7637e27.jpg

14500 think is the same size as AA

marduk

daydreamer
At this point, someone could mount a Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign for "Grasshopper batteries" and receive the samples, test them, place the final order, and ship the batteries out to customers before the Hopper Labs battery order has shipped from China. All you would need is the battery specs and contacts at a decent Chinese battery factory, and money, which the campaign would provide.

I have two Grasshoppers that work perfectly, but the batteries are so old that they can't keep up beyond a single bowl anymore. I really hope HL can get their act together before they go under. The heater they have is so good it's like magic, and if they can survive long enough to produce another model with a form factor that's just a little bit larger, they could become a huge success IMO.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
At this point, someone could mount a Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign for "Grasshopper batteries" and receive the samples, test them, place the final order, and ship the batteries out to customers before the Hopper Labs battery order has shipped from China. All you would need is the battery specs and contacts at a decent Chinese battery factory, and money, which the campaign would provide.

I have two Grasshoppers that work perfectly, but the batteries are so old that they can't keep up beyond a single bowl anymore. I really hope HL can get their act together before they go under. The heater they have is so good it's like magic, and if they can survive long enough to produce another model with a form factor that's just a little bit larger, they could become a huge success IMO.
Imagen if they licensed out the technology to companies? Like a boundless vape with this heater?

Baron23

Just checking in. One GH in RMA purgatory after being inexplicably returned to me in the same condition it was sent in as. Don't expect to see this one for a while.

Other GH was RMA'd at the same time as the one above, this one was returned in slightly better shape, but I still have to run it on temp 5 for good extraction with no head room for adjustment.

It does run a bit weaker than I think it should, but either native or via a 14 mm J hook (really one of my fav ways to use a GH) it works well enough for its position in the line up.

But, it not longer is strong enough to milk my FC-188 like my OG GH did and did well for 18 months.

So, there it is.

Oh, and I agree....they had to have their heads ten feet up their ass to go with a custom battery. There are other size Li batteries close in size and yes, they def should have used one of them and yes, they are STILL OUT OF FUCKING BATTERIES!!!! :bang::mad::shit::goon::horse:

Last edited:

slozukimc

About the batteries......if you look at the specs for LI ion cells close to the Hopper size the current rating and capacity aren’t as good and they are bigger. A special battery shouldn’t be an issue with proper business practices.

And here is my hopper

You inspired this......

https://imgur.com/a/8x69b5h

Last edited by a moderator:

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
About the batteries......if you look at the specs for LI ion cells close to the Hopper size the current rating and capacity aren’t as good and they are bigger. A special battery shouldn’t be an issue with proper business practices.

You inspired this......

https://imgur.com/a/8x69b5h
HNJPDNF_d.jpg

That looks awesome! How does it feel using with the PFE? Weird how much more usable this vape is when it's not burning your lips off :rolleyes:

slozukimc

HNJPDNF_d.jpg

That looks awesome! How does it feel using with the PFE? Weird how much more usable this vape is when it's not burning your lips off :rolleyes:
It’s a bit restricted right now because the hole in the drip tip is small. I am going to drill that out tomorrow if I get time. I can take a monster hit with it on five and the vapor is, dare I say, pleasant......

Baron23

Well, we are all entitled to our views without perjorative comment from others.

I just see this differently. I think it was dumb as dirt for them to; 1) insist on a form factor so small that it created numerous functional issues....yeah, pen shape is cool, but not at the expense of performance and reliability; 2) part of that form factor decisions drove using the chassis as the ground return path...hence people buying Blu-tack to clean the threads on the back end; 3) and locking in a sole source situation for something as common as a battery. Yes, they have a high performance battery that fits their form factor, but you can't buy one, haven't been able to buy one for quite some time, can't use them in anything else, and I personally would have preferred a slightly larger vape with a battery I could source from a myriad of outlets.

This is completely aside from what appears to be part/sub-assembly interchangeability issues (yeah, like why repaired GHs come back with a wide range of performance and they can't seem to get this right to this day).

Just my thoughts on the battery and a couple of other issues.

slozukimc

I just see this differently. I think it was dumb as dirt for them to; 1) insist on a form factor so small that it created numerous functional issues....yeah, pen shape is cool, but not at the expense of performance and reliability; 2) part of that form factor decisions drove using the chassis as the ground return path...hence people buying Blu-tack to clean the threads on the back end; 3) and locking in a sole source situation for something as common as a battery. Yes, they have a high performance battery that fits their form factor, but you can't buy one, haven't been able to buy one for quite some time, can't use them in anything else, and I personally would have preferred a slightly larger vape with a battery I could source from a myriad of outlets.

This is completely aside from what appears to be part/sub-assembly interchangeability issues (yeah, like why repaired GHs come back with a wide range of performance and they can't seem to get this right to this day).

Where do you get the idea I was making any “perjorative” comments? I was just stating fact that there aren’t any the same spec close to the size and if they had made sure they had a better source before going to production there wouldn’t be this problem. Basically what you said......

MonkeyTime

Completely agree, I hate the battery, but using the chassis as part of the circuit was probably the kiss of death.

Never tell an engineer he can't do something...

Baron23

Where do you get the idea I was making any “perjorative” comments?

No, no...we are misunderstanding each other.

I wanted you to know that my reply was in no way a pejorative comment on your own posted views even though we see things differently.

Fucking internet causes more confusion than the Tower of Babble! haha

All good, mate.

Top Bottom