Discontinued The Grasshopper

vapviking

Old & In the Way
A whole course in small business enterprise and management could be taught based on the history of Hopper Labs. It has become a rather unique example, now that it's been going on for years with just one marginally functional product. It's an amalgam of innovation, tenacity, showmanship, ponzi scheme and balls. It's Henry Ford meets P.T. Barnum meets Cheech & Chong!

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
A whole course in small business enterprise and management could be taught based on the history of Hopper Labs. It has become a rather unique example, now that it's been going on for years with just one marginally functional product. It's an amalgam of innovation, tenacity, showmanship, ponzi scheme and balls. It's Henry Ford meets P.T. Barnum meets Cheech & Chong!
I just thought we were bunch of gimps
Xmas14-IMG_1414-web.jpg

But alright guess brilliant marketing is also needed if you only got one model of dildo to play with :brow:

#hotforhopper

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Well said. And let’s not forget about the yet-to-be realeased Steel Case - LOL! They’re constantly ‘up in smoke’ I bet...:leaf::peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: JCat

frank grimes

Figured I'd pile on and mention again my launch Hopper is still going strong...

It's insane. I almost want to purchase a new Hopper just to see which one goes down first.

How often are you using your preorder hopper? If it’s regular use, that is impressive. I’d consider sending it for a deep comprehensive analysis in hopes that it can be replicated...for the good of the forum members.:\

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Finally got the "please verify shipping address" and the hopper is on the way back home.
At least I get to maybe use it bit on my vacation because I had the Stickybrick on camping trips and that vape is barely portable even though its butane.
Need to get a good battery pack and hopefully buying a dreamwood glow in couple of weeks and maybe if I force myself to do more overtime then also get the firewood 6.0 :love:

Ah dreams

Vaporific

TGIF to everyone. It’s been a crappy week personally. I received my Blu-Tak via Amazon - from China no less - so I can keep the threads clean going forward. Perhaps I’ll get my new batteries soon (wishful thinking based on the secret of HL’s estimations). Now I just need my Hopper back: 1-3 more months, 1-3 more months, 1-3 more months...:bang::peace:

Baron23

Finally got the "please verify shipping address" and the hopper is on the way back home.
At least I get to maybe use it bit on my vacation because I had the Stickybrick on camping trips and that vape is barely portable even though its butane.
Need to get a good battery pack and hopefully buying a dreamwood glow in couple of weeks and maybe if I force myself to do more overtime then also get the firewood 6.0 :love:

Ah dreams
How long was it out in RMA status for, please?

I have one GH back with them...again...and one that after its second RMA is useable. Not perfect, but usable. I have to run it on 5 at all times, I do get the flickering blue light which I know was NOT a design feature (right?), but it does extract. AVB is not quite to my liking but good enough.

I'm hopeful....after asking for the like the 5th time....that when my other GH comes back that it has some head room on temp...that is, that I don't have to run it at max temp just to vape. My OG GH, which worked wonderfully for 18 months and I haven't seen its equal after any of the current set of RMAs, ran best for me at 4.1 and I do like my vapor thick so that's also a bit hot compared to many others. I then had temp 5 to finish with if needed. Having to run at 5 all of the time with the returned GH is really not great....but it does work and I did use it for a 3 am sesh last night.

Cheers all.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive

I have one GH back with them...again...and one that after its second RMA is useable. Not perfect, but usable. I have to run it on 5 at all times, I do get the flickering blue light which I know was NOT a design feature (right?), but it does extract. AVB is not quite to my liking but good enough.

I'm hopeful....after asking for the like the 5th time....that when my other GH comes back that it has some head room on temp...that is, that I don't have to run it at max temp just to vape. My OG GH, which worked wonderfully for 18 months and I haven't seen its equal after any of the current set of RMAs, ran best for me at 4.1 and I do like my vapor thick so that's also a bit hot compared to many others. I then had temp 5 to finish with if needed. Having to run at 5 all of the time with the returned GH is really not great....but it does work and I did use it for a 3 am sesh last night.

Cheers all.
Send it in at the start of May or end of April maybe?

But I had a broken hopper since desember but not wanted to send it in just to wait in Rma purgatory because every ones repairs are being delayed

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Send it in at the start of May or end of April maybe?
But I had a broken hopper since desember but not wanted to send it in just to wait in Rma purgatory because every ones repairs are being delayed

I have one there since August '18 and one since November, both still "months" away from return.

On the other hand, on another unit in January I reported a bad body and HL sent, upon my approval, a replacement (made from "not necessarily new parts") and I returned the old one. It took 2 weeks. This one is currently working but gets super hot back end AND near the air holes (not necessarily in concert). These flashes of heat happen so quickly I assume some kind of electrical short is happening.

When Hopper #4 failed and was sent in during June, I pleaded my case; multiple hopper owner with two people using them, down to our last, shakey one. I was given a +/- 30 day turnaround and sure enough, it's in the mail to me right now. Quite pleased about this, I'm glad my plea was heard, even as I know it slowed someone else down a little. (It seemed to me they could have bumped the 11 month old repair up the list instead of this one, but maybe they actually do look at purchase date, this recent quick turnaround is the 4th rma -- previous 3 were all back ends -- for this hopper in just under a year's time since purchase.)

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
I have one there since August '18 and one since November, both still "months" away from return.

On the other hand, on another unit in January I reported a bad body and HL sent, upon my approval, a replacement (made from "not necessarily new parts") and I returned the old one. It took 2 weeks. This one is currently working but gets super hot back end AND near the air holes (not necessarily in concert). These flashes of heat happen so quickly I assume some kind of electrical short is happening.

When Hopper #4 failed and was sent in during June, I pleaded my case; multiple hopper owner with two people using them, down to our last, shakey one. I was given a +/- 30 day turnaround and sure enough, it's in the mail to me right now. Quite pleased about this, I'm glad my plea was heard, even as I know it slowed someone else down a little. (It seemed to me they could have bumped the 11 month old repair up the list instead of this one, but maybe they actually do look at purchase date, this recent quick turnaround is the 4th rma -- previous 3 were all back ends -- for this hopper in just under a year's time since purchase.)

That sounds like a long time, would like to see their pile of broken hoppers waiting for getting fixed

Last edited:

Obsessed 2

Think you might be too old to see the hopper uprising.. Maybe your grandchildrens? Great-grandchildren? :haw:
Does anybody thave an idea of where we are with the new battery shipment? I had a tickler in my calendar that this is roughly when they would be shipping to the U.S.
I shot Hopper Labs' reddit account a message but havent heard back.

Obsessed 2,

Vaporific

Does anybody thave an idea of where we are with the new battery shipment? I had a tickler in my calendar that this is roughly when they would be shipping to the U.S.
I shot Hopper Labs' reddit account a message but havent heard back.
August is the last I heard, but it was originally May/June and we’re now at the end of July. I ordered batts in April I think, still waiting. Like I am for my RMA! At the rate HL operates and estimates it could be December. Anything they say now I take with a grain of salt...:peace:

frank grimes

No longer do I have skin in the hopper game but I figure I’d come back for a weekly rant. So here goes...

How is it possible that Hopper Labs is still open for business? I find it hard to believe that their balance sheet doesn’t point to anything in the near future but bankruptcy. Think about it...assuming that the grasshopper is actually a subpar product and the RMAs are not just localized to the fc forum, then how good could their sales numbers be? Especially after they pissed off a lot of their loyal chumps... I mean customers. Chances are a quick google search would deter other potential customers from taking the plunge. Then there’s all that time and resources they spent on concept products that never materialized. They can’t even organize themselves to have batteries, a product that is probably a steady source of revenue, in stock.

But to make this post a little more productive, I’ll suggest the obvious. I’m not an expert in business but at this point, I’d declare bankruptcy and shut it all down. I say screw the lifetime warranty because it’s worth squat. Go back to the drawing table and make the neccessary design revisions to address the grasshopper’s deficiencies. Like short circuit protection. The fact you can short your hopper by turning it on with the battery inserted backwards is a serious design flaw.

Bite the damn bullet and deal with the customer backlash. Sure, people will be pissed but those who seriously love the hopper will support this if it means next time they’ll get the product they’re expecting. I know I’d come back if they address the real issues.

frank grimes,

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
No longer do I have skin in the hopper game but I figure I’d come back for a weekly rant. So here goes...

How is it possible that Hopper Labs is still open for business? I find it hard to believe that their balance sheet doesn’t point to anything in the near future but bankruptcy. Think about it...assuming that the grasshopper is actually a subpar product and the RMAs are not just localized to the fc forum, then how good could their sales numbers be? Especially after they pissed off a lot of their loyal chumps... I mean customers. Chances are a quick google search would deter other potential customers from taking the plunge. Then there’s all that time and resources they spent on concept products that never materialized. They can’t even organize themselves to have batteries, a product that is probably a steady source of revenue, in stock.

But to make this post a little more productive, I’ll suggest the obvious. I’m not an expert in business but at this point, I’d declare bankruptcy and shut it all down. I say screw the lifetime warranty because it’s worth squat. Go back to the drawing table and make the neccessary design revisions to address the grasshopper’s deficiencies. Like short circuit protection. The fact you can short your hopper by turning it on with the battery inserted backwards is a serious design flaw.

Bite the damn bullet and deal with the customer backlash. Sure, people will be pissed but those who seriously love the hopper will support this if it means next time they’ll get the product they’re expecting. I know I’d come back if they address the real issues.
This is old news .. We are way beyond this point of "believable business practices" and have entered the world of MIGHT AND MAGIC! To explain the hopper labs practices and their shaved dices.

Also they probably sell bunch of hoppers to casuels that have a way lower fail rate then frequent user?

Gahh falling back in the trap trying to explain hopper to myself or others

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I received an rma'd Hopper in yesterday's mail, no mix-ups, all the same stuff I sent them came back, and now Hopper is working great!
It is such a world of difference between a new, clean, free-drawing, quick-heating ever-lovin' Grasshopper and the quirky, clogged, hot-bodied, clunker Hopper we've been using in the meantime!

It occurs to me that HL might be better served by offering a leased product; every year you swap for a 'newly' reconditioned hopper. I think the eventual return of almost all Hoppers is an inevitability (because the internals need deep cleaning), why not build that into the business model?

Vaporific

I received an rma'd Hopper in yesterday's mail, no mix-ups, all the same stuff I sent them came back, and now Hopper is working great!
It is such a world of difference between a new, clean, free-drawing, quick-heating ever-lovin' Grasshopper and the quirky, clogged, hot-bodied, clunker Hopper we've been using in the meantime!

It occurs to me that HL might be better served by offering a leased product; every year you swap for a 'newly' reconditioned hopper. I think the eventual return of almost all Hoppers is an inevitability (because the internals need deep cleaning), why not build that into the business model?
Glad it’s initially working for you! Did you need to clean it thoroughly and do burn offs before using it? From what I’ve read I would. It seems like many returned from RMA were dirty. How were the threads - easy and clean? I bought Blu-Tac recently ahead of receiving my RMA’d unit so I can keep the threads clean when it comes back, something I didn’t think I needed to maintain before sending it in.:peace:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Glad it’s initially working for you! Did you need to clean it thoroughly and do burn offs before using it? From what I’ve read I would. It seems like many returned from RMA were dirty. How were the threads - easy and clean? I bought Blu-Tac recently ahead of receiving my RMA’d unit so I can keep the threads clean when it comes back, something I didn’t think I needed to maintain before sending it in.:peace:
Everything was clean and I did no burn-off, it's not been my experience to need one with hopper. I did notice today that the back end gets very warm, I don't like that...but the Hopper is hitting very nicely.

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Everything was clean and I did no burn-off, it's not been my experience to need one with hopper. I did notice today that the back end gets very warm, I don't like that...but the Hopper is hitting very nicely.
Dont think the hopper is ever going to improve that much unless they change the design or/and the material its made out off or just the laws off physics. :rolleyes: it kicks ass but the amount of heat it produces either indentionally or unintentionally the is massive .. Or just the pain of your hand shorting on the cap and body meeting :rofl:.

Top Bottom