Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Power in this form factor are unmatched, and the GH is easily paired the a water piece.

That said, I hope this is the last one.
I know, I know - unique form factor, etc. It’s a shame reliability is still an issue for many, both new and returned RMA units. Love to bash HL a bit as they’ve been running a Mickey Mouse operation since inception though it’s gotten just a bit better. But they have a ways to go in lots of areas. I’m routing for them too but I won’t spend much else with them. Just want my Hopper back in working order, and happy for those with working units...:peace:

ChooChooCharlie

Rather random thread bump derail follows

Mods may spank me, -- "Thank you sir, may I have another"

Amusement portion of post:

Got Escher hopper back from frame shop, curious kitty welcoming new addition

Cat-with-Escher-Hopper.jpg

Begging portion:

Please donate $1, or 5, or 10 to @Vitolo

Use PayPal, please send cash to his email account, pvdelv@gmail.com

Read the sad tale here:

Paying it Forward - A New Direction

Apologies for the derail

flipjoe

I got my Grasshopper in 2016 and around 2018 it was dead. I got a new body and since then it's working very well. Lately i'm using it with a percolator bong as a daily driver. I really like the GH and even if it would break every year without warranty i would probably buy another one again.
I mean i don't like it that they're a bit unreliable. But i'm enjyoing the GH so much that i'm willing to pay for it. And i understand if other people don't. I just love this thing.
:love:

Vaporific

Quick RMA question: do you get emails from HL when they update/post to the RMA thread on your HL account? I swear I used to but haven’t received them recently, possibly because I changed my email address (and re-verified it too) however I haven’t gotten emails from them - and I checked my Junk folder too.

9 months and counting that my Ti is in RMA Purgatory. I doubt batteries will be available by the end of this month either though it would be nice to have a working Hopper to put them in. SSDD...:peace:

Vaporific,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Baron23

Quick RMA question: do you get emails from HL when they update/post to the RMA thread on your HL account? I swear I used to but haven’t received them recently, possibly because I changed my email address (and re-verified it too) however I haven’t gotten emails from them - and I checked my Junk folder too.

9 months and counting that my Ti is in RMA Purgatory. I doubt batteries will be available by the end of this month either though it would be nice to have a working Hopper to put them in. SSDD...:peace:
Yes, I get emails when they update my TT. But, that’s long period of silencesas they don’t seem to monitor ticket aging and do periodic updates like a pro CS operation.

I haven’t heard a thing since the email for the “we received it” update. Mainly because they haven’t done shit to them (two in for RMA) for over two months.

Yes, I know the apologists will pop up to defend them and tout the uniqueness of the device.

But so what, this last story about the move and how they really got a handle on things now is....what, the fourth “it’s gonna be great now” spin job?

I expect I will get my two back someday. Whether they will be fixed properly (weren’t the last time) is still an open question, IMO.

vapviking

Old & In the Way

I opened rma just under 3 weeks ago and while response was slow, HL has finally told me to send it in. The two posts they put up in the rma thread were both accompanied by emails to me.

If batteries are not in stock by end of this month, I'll ask for a refund on my order (for two), just to irk them for jerking our chain. "May" was the original projection. I'm down to my last Hopper, it's slightly dodgey and I have about 5 or 6 old batteries; I can limp by for quite a while, especially since other vapes have come into the rotation.

Vaporific

But so what, this last story about the move and how they really got a handle on things now is....what, the fourth “it’s gonna be great now” spin job?
You're being generous - more like the 20th time!

I expect I will get my two back someday. Whether they will be fixed properly (weren’t the last time) is still an open question, IMO.
Ditto/amen - I posted this same thing herein when I sent mine back in September '18. I think fewer new units are going back for RMA but the ones coming back from RMA don't bode very well from what I've read herein - that's what scares me but I won't let it keep me up at night. If it comes back not working optimally and like new, I'll be deeply disappointed and won't be bothered with it or them again. Enough is enough and that's it. This however may not be determined for a long time...:bang:

I opened rma just under 3 weeks ago and while response was slow, HL has finally told me to send it in. The two posts they put up in the rma thread were both accompanied by emails to me.

If batteries are not in stock by end of this month, I'll ask for a refund on my order (for two), just to irk them for jerking our chain. "May" was the original projection. I'm down to my last Hopper, it's slightly dodgey and I have about 5 or 6 old batteries; I can limp by for quite a while, especially since other vapes have come into the rotation.
Thanks, I thought I had received emails but I'm no longer. They've been fairly responsive to my messages but not super fast. There's something wrong with my account and the recent email change - even their computer system doesn't work right.

Regarding the batteries, I agree with you and said the same thing a while back. If people are low or lose batteries and they can't be shipped let alone friggin received into inventory how are we supposed to use the device?? It's like HL is cutting off its nose to spite its face. I ordered a few batts too and June will turn into September I bet - and I still won't have my Hopper back by then either I bet! :cuss::peace:

barleecat

Dang! Mine was received and checked in on May 8th too and just got same message that it’s in final testing.....I didn’t expect to hear from them or see it “fixed” until late fall this year or later....I even just bought a POTV One to hold me over....Ha! showed up today :nod:

Does the Nitecore I2 work for Hopper batteries? Thinking it’s time to get a charger instead of charging in device. Does the Nitecore tell you how much charge is in battery?

Last edited by a moderator:

barleecat

Sent mine back mid-April 2019 and was checked in May 8th 2019......

Mine also was an RMA that I got back last year that didn’t work when I got it back after 8 month wait....annoyed I shelved it for a year before sending in again...may have been a quick fix or expedited because of that? No idea....I expected it to be gone 8-12 months

Last edited:

Baron23

Got this from Hopper also. RMA was opened on 19 Apr and was received (well, acknowledged that they received it) on 8 May (seems to be a coincidental date, yeah...like they maybe opened and inventoried a bunch of GH's on the 8th! haha).

"Your Hopper has entered final testing. We now require a response to ensure your address is correct and we have handled all of your concerns. Please review the message in the warranty panel."​

TBH, I'm completely gobsmacked.

Now, they say:

"We've upgraded problem components to our newest versions and are now ensuring the device operates properly."
I guess I will just have to wait and see....anybody got any idea of what color the board in the bottom of the body is supposed to be for the latest rev? I remember blue and white but not which is the most current.

I have a second GH with them for RMA also. Both shipped and were received together but I only got the notification on the one. Waiting on notification of the other.

Wow...I didn't expect it back until Aug/Sep at best.

Does the Nitecore I2 work for Hopper batteries? Thinking it’s time to get a charger instead of charging in device. Does the Nitecore tell you how much charge is in battery?
I don't have an I2 but I do have a Nitecore D4 and yes, it does indicate battery charge level in volts as well as charging current which steps down as it gets closer to full charge. I like my Nitecore very much.

The I2 seems to not have a digital display for exact charging level and only has a vertical line of LEDs to show charging level. I would suggest considering the D2/4

brewbeer

I was told the RMA they received from me in January would be 3 more months before being evaluated.

They did send me promptly a new back end for the other RMA I opened a couple of weeks ago on my other hopper which did the trick, so that combined with the new hopper I received Wednesday means I have 2 working hoppers !

Vaporific

I was told the RMA they received from me in January would be 3 more months before being evaluated.

They did send me promptly a new back end for the other RMA I opened a couple of weeks ago on my other hopper which did the trick, so that combined with the new hopper I received Wednesday means I have 2 working hoppers !
HL must be replying to everyone’s RMAs. I just read mine: 1-3 more months which is BS on top of 9+ months already. And some of you sent in yours recently and are getting them back soon? Total BS with them. And I didn’t get an email when they replied to my RMA thread either. When I read all the posts today with some getting their units back soon I needed to check on my Ti. Frustrating! I just want a working Hopper! :bang::peace:

ChooChooCharlie

Hope you have success, Baron !

You know, as a former mod, how rules are important

Just reminding all about the "one bite at the apple" rule

But I understand the frustration -- you only hurt the vapes you love

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Is there a reasonable explanation for some rma's to take about a month while others can languish? One of mine since July '18 and one since Nov. '18. (and I just mailed #3 to them yesterday...)
The 'waiting for parts' line cannot fly in these instances, nor can, 'waiting for your turn'.

How do they make these judgement calls, by what criteria? All I can imagine is a big pile of broken hoppers and a grab bag random selection of the next lucky one.

@ChooChooCharlie, I hear you (and see it) about 2nd bite and in most instances on these forums I make effort to conform. At one point I suggested we return rma-type discussions to the Grasshopper Shipping Thread from yesteryear. But that seems like such a step backwards.

Regardless of my own situation, I'm glad we've detected this slight shift in the tectonic plates.

Oi vey. Just went for kicks and looked at the battery product page. @jhanson, we're rooting for you, but if you get 2 new batteries with your rma'd hopper shipment, I'll just shit. They've moved the goalpost again, this time from June to June/July, still with the same passive-aggressive comment, "it will be 2-4 months before they arrive. Please do not order unless you fully expect to wait that long."
I feel like going over to the Fuck You Thread a while...or is it just fuck me?

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
haha...well, I'm not at all sure that was necessary. It seems to me that Hopper Labs is just a font of continuing outrageous behavior and no, I don't see this as beating them up continually for a single instance or issue.

It would seem the mods agree, no?

:D

Well they are at many frontlines .. Customer anger and vapor production

Vaporific

Guess whom I received an email from today? Go ahead, guess. HL! But it went to the wrong email address, my old one after switching my HL account to a different one and the one I now sign in with. Even their computer system is messed up. To top it off I got the email almost 12 hours after they posted the message to my account (I can think of a few reasons for that since that’s in my vocation, not to mention the other issue but I’ll let them figure it out - they gotta give me something if not the return of my properly working pre-order Ti!). The madness continues...

To @vapviking’s points, I picture a completely cluttered small warehouse factory where stuff is just dumped anywhere and labels and identification is mishandled or lost. Sort of like walking into a very cluttered room with crap everywhere. It’s already happened and written about herein where people have received the wrong units. There’s no rhyme or reason how their servicing units. I’m baffled by it - not enough manpower or parts. And now there’s no battery inventory and it’s further delayed. What else is new - SSDD with them.

I told them in my last reply to my RMA thread that I’ll cancel my battery order if my Ti comes back before then and doesn’t work optimally. They need to show me something, whether it’s fixing my account issues or more importantly my Hopper to restore some of my faith in them otherwise goodbye to them. I won’t be bothered any longer. Time, and in HL’s case, lots of it will tell...:peace:

brewbeer

Is there a reasonable explanation for some rma's to take about a month while others can languish?

In my fast RMA example, I think it was that when I described the problem to them, they immediately knew what was wrong (back end shorted out). Maybe they have a surplus of back ends, perhaps from other RMA'd hoppers waiting for new front ends, or new hoppers that had front ends fail at final testing. It's the front end sensor that is the major problem with the hopper, correct? The sensor fails and the hopper goes straight to blue and produces no heat. I believe this is or was the reason so many have been held up for so long?

ChooChooCharlie

haha...well, I'm not at all sure that was necessary. It seems to me that Hopper Labs is just a font of continuing outrageous behavior and no, I don't see this as beating them up continually for a single instance or issue.

It would seem the mods agree, no?

:D

Sorry about that, my mistake. There is no one bite at the apple rule here, that's a legal term. Carry on. An apple a day keeps the outrage at bay

Top Bottom