1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. habitat-fc

habitat-fc Well-Known Member

There is a Grasshopper Fixes by @Vapor_Eyes on the new resources part of FC, I am not sure if you have seen it @eideal852

This is the link:

http://fuckcombustion.com/resources/grasshopper-fixes.11/

2. elykpeace

elykpeace exVASted

Saw someone on Reddit WAYYY back talking about buying broken back ends and bodies and cutting them in half to see what's going on inside. My GH is still working great but when the time comes and it's no longer working I plan on taking it apart. I think for the backend you just bend the three metal tabs up and it disassembles... Not trying till my GH is toast tho. For the body I think the chip is just friction fit inside the body so possible to take out the screen and push it out the back? All just guesses... Not on a rush for the thing to quit on me but if anyone has a broken one you could try?

I saw on AliExpress grasshoppers for sale... 20-30 bucks a piece if you buy 50.. I messaged (Alan) was the dudes name and they are temp out of stock? He said he will let me know when I can purchase a sample .. wondering if they do the manufacturing for GH... If that's the case it's a significant markup.... But it could just be a scam:hmm:

MoltenTiger, eideal852 and habitat-fc like this.
  3. guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch Well-Known Member

Got a link for the alibaba version? Can't find it. It may have a similar body but I highly doubt it's an exact replica.

elykpeace likes this.
  4. elykpeace

elykpeace exVASted

Of course. Sent in PM (don't worry @Stu )

5. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

So far I've been using the Grasshopper in two different modes.

1. Home mode - PFE. Hydratube / Hydrabase. Killer. Been loving it.
    2. Away mode - Regular Mouthpiece - Silicon Mouth tip. Holy shit.

I mean, the Mighty wins on reliability, but I could not get the type of hits i get with my Grasshopper out of the Mighty. Trust me I tried. LOL. I don't know if the Grasshopper just pushes the herb that much closer to the edge or what not, but fuck, this thing is awesome.

If they could just fix themselves, and make themself straight, like VapeXhale did, then they will be fine. They need to do a VapeXhale. Honestly, they should be in contact with Seibo. LOL

kbrown5523, habitat-fc, Hogni and 3 others like this.
  6. eideal852

eideal852 Well-Known Member

Ooof! Judging by the threading on the "Oils Front End" its not exact, though thats the style from the kickstarter images...

7. elykpeace

elykpeace exVASted

Yeah @eideal852 saw the oil front end with the male threads .. figured it was an old picture or scam.

Either way at 225 for SS, GH labs is certainly not going out of business anytime soon...

8. Ripstar

Ripstar Well-Known Member

If one was to order now, how far out? I cancelled my order over a year ago....lol

9. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

According to their website, it says ships in 3 - 7 days....

10. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

Im not sure that’s accurate. When I went on the site, there was a banner saying heat treated are in stock. Not sure about any other type

11. elykpeace

elykpeace exVASted

Unfortunately NOTHiNG on their site is ACCURATE.. lmao :doh:

Cheesequake likes this.
  12. disGRUNTled

disGRUNTled Well-Known Member

Forbidden Fruit & Premo MC Eight and Lady Rage .............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Click to play YouTube Video

MoltenTiger and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  13. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Got shipping notification for my V5 body. Should be here in a few days, I'm crossing my fingers like hell that it works.

14. Ripstar

Ripstar Well-Known Member

This is why I had originally cancelled, they lied about shipping time for me and the correspondence was insanely horrible.

Cheesequake, elykpeace and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  15. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

Can someone pls remind me where the term V5 originated (in Hopperland)? It's always been HL's stance that there would not be, say, a Hopper 2.0, but that the Hopper would just continuously improve (?!?) over time, and we'd all benefit, in not having to buy the next new, new thing. Just new batteries!

And I can not recall any talk along the way of versions 1 thru 4. Has there been any indication that they've made additional substantial design changes in recent months, since the shutdown that HL went through last winter/spring?

I purchased a Green Ti in July from a retailer who assured me it was a recent batch, definitely post-shutdown. Even knowing that, can anyone say for sure which 'V" it is? The body has functioned perfectly on a daily basis, btw. I've not even peeked at the heater area below the internal chamber screen.

On another note: Older back ends are able to power up and get to temp even if you only push halfway down on the button, and they would stay on as long as you kept some tension on the button. They could be said to click 'on' on the down stroke (even a partial down stroke). The newer back ends only power-up after fully engaging and then releasing the button (up stroke).

I have a SS Hopper that has been running a really dodgy body for several months now. When powering on, I always (using a 'down stroke' back end) half click first. Then,

About 65% of the time it will go to cop lights, so I back off the button and try again. After 3 or 4 tries like that, it will go to red and heat up as normal;
    About 20% of the time it goes solid red (heating normally to blue), so I click on the rest of the way and enjoy. Once working, it will usually continue to power on and off as clicked, through the rest of the session;
    About 2% of the time it goes straight to blue, so I back right off and try again until eventually it goes to red;
    About 3% of the time, it gives NO lights at all, and I give the Hopper a sharp hit against a solid object, yes, I hit it against a hunk of wood, making contact with the body right near the air intake holes. With this hit - or 2, if clicker is in correct cycle (an 'on' cycle, as this is the kind that you have to physically click 'off' even when the unit has timed out) the light will usually go straight to red, normal heating.
    I have managed to limp along in this fashion for about 2 months now.

Btw, I can't get it to work at all with an 'up stroke' back end!!!!!

Both bodies described above function fine as far as temp./abv is concerned. Just lucky, I guess. I'm hoping they hold out at least until their cousin (plain Ti) gets back from the hospital. It's in Continuing Care or something.

16. snaffle

snaffle Well-Known Member

It's from their most recent newsletter update, from September, where they say "We learned of a hardware flaw affecting a small number of new heating assemblies which caused some issues with new units. This week we are launching the Version 5 internal hardware to eliminate this issue and introduce a few changes to make assembly faster."

You're right, I don't think we've been told about different versions of the body before, just general "we're always making improvements, which you'll get if you need a repair". I take this as part of their greater transparency and better communication lately.

There are barely any people who have got a v5 body yet, though, so we will have to wait and see whether it really does fix the majority of issues people have been having. Fingers crossed, as ever!

Good to hear that newer backends than mine don't engage until the "up-stroke" of clicking them on; that sounds like it would eliminate the issues I've had in the past of the hopper turning itself on in my pocket, when the clicker is pushed to be partially depressed as it jiggles. But my backend is still working, and long may it continue, I don't want to jinx anything!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Vapor_Eyes, ChooChooCharlie and JCat like this.
  17. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Well-Known Member

I have a SS unit that is behaving exactly like you described. I actually just figured out this afternoon that giving it a wrap kick started it 50% of the time.

I'm guessing there's a forced fit electrical connection somewhere that's either corroded or just not making a good connection.

18. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

Thank for pointing to the V5 internals information. Yes, we do hope for the best.
    As it happens, I've also had back end that would power Hopper on almost at random and we had to return for replacement, and that was one of the 'newer' style! They sure do keep us on our toes, those of us who are trying to follow along from home.

19. nonbeliever

nonbeliever Well-Known Member

Today I received a whole new SS unit. We mutually agreed that with the frequency of RMA’s i’ve had (don’t make me go there, please) it was time for an all new unit. I have to say, this is night and day different from what I’ve been fighting with. Comfortable at 3-4 for sipping. Isn’t misbehaving. No combusting. LEDs do what the are supposed to. Finish and fit are right. No concentrated heat (other than vapor path). If they can just produce these things and have them run reliably like this.....

:doh: :bang:

20. ChooChooCharlie

ChooChooCharlie Well-Known Member

21. elykpeace

elykpeace exVASted

Finally got one of these mailed out to me on my bday. Takes a few weeks .. have the pfe version of the snap on case and really like the stuff he makes. Looks to make loading the GH simple. Debated on the night and day version but settled on this one. And 15% off from some coupon. Can't wait!

22. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

I've definitely accidentally melted one of those feeders in addition to other ways they get devastated. I feel they’re a consumable product but I will order a few more since i’m back from traveling.

Great window view btw, where are ya?

23. ChooChooCharlie

ChooChooCharlie Well-Known Member

Was trying for an @ataxian style pic, but his were better

[​IMG]

ataxian, Vitolo, slcbdco and 5 others like this.
  24. kbrown5523

kbrown5523 Hopping in Washington

I received one of my two v5 hopper bodies on Monday and I've been using it hard at 5 with water and my bong with the pfe and it's just like I remember when I first got them and they were working perfectly. The abv is a nice dark brown and I'm saving a lot on herb. There's just nothing like it. Now all I need is to get my second body and I can send them back the 4 duds that I'm sitting on now.

25. Thebigsmoke

Thebigsmoke Active Member

I really hope these new versions hold up I sent my unit back for the last time and took store credit . It really was the first vape that I used less weed with I really liked the vape it was just to stessfull waiting on the failure. I'm going to keep an eye on the thread and hope that vapefiend restock the newer units as they also serviced them if I remember and I might be tempted back. Good luck everyone with your hoppers.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors