Discontinued The Grasshopper

mario

@newVaper420 That is really good news. The only time that I ever use 5 is when I want to clear the bowl in one pull from my glass. I haven't gotten my V5, but HL told me today that they are going to have them on Monday and mine should ship out then. So I am hoping that I am back to Hopping by the end of next week. I really want this one to work.

Though this has been a good couple of weeks only using my Vapcap since my Mighty needs warranty at the same time as the Hopper. The Vapcap with the DDave Water Wand is absolutely awesome. So silver linings I guess. Still can't wait to get my Hopper on there and really go to the moon.

Mr. Whitewall

@Hogni great to hear that! A glimmer of hope...

Mine is still in a drawer waiting for HL to lower their repair time to something reasonable...
Have bought almost all their accessories but am getting tired of supporting them, it went bust in Spring and can't say I miss it (well I actually do, for the same reasons as everybody else... but have been able to survive without, same as troublesome girlfriends! :lol:).

@newVaper420 have you tried cleaning the little gaps on the backend? Mine was acting funny until I removed a lot of grey crap from there with the corner of a piece of paper over a year ago.

elykpeace

exVASted
Like @Hogni I've had mine almost 5 months now ... Still kicking up clouds. Never combusted.. one of my batteries are a little weaker but the only issue is when I charge it only goes to 4.17 instead of 4.20 but it still gives me 5 bowls worth. And I have never turned below 5 temp level and am engauging the clicker hitting and clear exhale put it back in and hit it again and exhale and normally a third for a ~45 second session

5 mins a battery?:hmm: Something like that but I have 2 batteries in rotation and 2 on standby if I forget to charge or one of the others finally stop charging. So far I'm happy with MY hopper.

I'd say I've gotten my 265 bucks worth by now but am hoping when it craps out the RMA turnover will be like a week

Still my favorite vape. I've owned a lot and I get upset when people aren't satisfied with theirs... I used to get flickering lights and I learned if I take off the back end and push the copper connection and then screw it back on to the body my gap between the clip ring and temp dial is so small it's hard to turn.. so I pull on the temp dial and make a space and it works like new.

must be mashing on the clicker too hard and maybe shorting it out that way.

Let me know if this solution works for you... It is an older back end that needs to be clicked on and off so maybe it's different in my case but I see no signs of malfunction yet!

Iloverunonsentances (sorry)

Keep on hopping:love:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
@Hogni great to hear that! A glimmer of hope...

Mine is still in a drawer waiting for HL to lower their repair time to something reasonable...
Have bought almost all their accessories but am getting tired of supporting them, it went bust in Spring and can't say I miss it (well I actually do, for the same reasons as everybody else... but have been able to survive without, same as troublesome girlfriends! :lol:).

@newVaper420 have you tried cleaning the little gaps on the backend? Mine was acting funny until I removed a lot of grey crap from there with the corner of a piece of paper over a year ago.

Hopper came straight from hopper labs. Only used it once before I had issue. However, everything is good. I feel I have to blow it out with the compressed air more than ever. But it’s been working.

When I screw the backend on, the red light comes on. Weird.

snaffle

I do, but mostly in a velcro flap-topped canvasy- tactical pouch of some sort (knife? tool? dunno its provenance) that occasionally is velcroed too tight, or the GH is off center and depresses slightly. That I know and avoid as much as possible, but ill occasionally have it wig out with a sliiiight lateral pressure on the clicker (to the side, but not hard) and I get a bit of springy sound when the clicker is rotated. it bugs out.
sometimes itll take 3-4 clicks to hold "on"

I don't carry it in my pocket because of it accidentally turning on - it's no fun to realise you have a little pocket heater on in a sensitive place, particularly if (like mine) the backend is prone to getting very hot when on too. Even in my @Ratchett leather case it would turn itself on. My clicker is pretty sensitive, it will turn on well before the click if depressed a little. It's fine for me, but as I say, I am just careful with how I use it.

also, I think I do not have the temps at the top of the range:
just started going into glass (god help me- only two loads yet) and not milking, though technique I have little, and its not the new school breaking-bad-beaker type clear, it's old school JBD style glass, so can't see in THAT well to know. Natively the mouthpiece warms enough to agree with the general too hot too quick sentiment, but it's not giving instamilk, to be sure...

It's of course hard to say whether your GH is operating as well as it could without having several. But I'll say that even without looking at the vapor collecting in the glass, the amount you exhale from a big hit through glass should be a lot. I suspect my GH extracts slightly slower than some others, as the vapor is not generally as thick as I've seen on videos, but goddamn when I exhale the amount of vapor is impressive. It's my favourite way to use the GH these days. My dynavap is a reliable general vaporizer that gets me where I want to, and is fun to use, but if I want a monster hit nothing can beat a full GH through glass (nothing that I own, anyway; sounds like the sublimator would blow it away, but that is far from wife-friendly in my case ;)).

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
newVaper420 update time.

Everything still working aces. You might say don't jinx yourself, but if my thoughts and actions had the ability to change the world, I'd be a very powerful person.

I have not touched my Cloud Evo since my Hopper has been back on Monday evening. That means it's been in continuous heavy use.

Some general hopper quirks in my experience. For instance, sometimes i'll get really dark dark dark roast at the bottom of the barrel but light roast on the top. My guess, not enough turbulence to shake it around good for even vaporization. But fuck, that's my only complaint. Otherwise, it roasts like mad LOL. Full thick vapor in the hydratube/hydrabase setup :-)

I'll keep you guys posted. I'm waiting till Friday to send back the broken combusting body.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Even after 4 months I don't feel good. All the time I imagine the Damocles' sword. There is no real trust anymore after all that happened to me only. But still try to stay optimistically.

Just read about the Sword of Damocles. Interesting. But yeah, I can see that. LOL.

For some reason, the Grasshopper makes me more wrecked than the Cloud Evo. Not sure why.

guyonthecouch

For some reason, the Grasshopper makes me more wrecked than the Cloud Evo. Not sure why.

My guess is that the hopper capabilities allow for cannabinoids with higher boiling points to be fully extracted and activated making them readily bio-available(CBN/CBC etc). Or the hopper just offers a more thorough extraction of all cannabinoids in general compared to other vaporizers. But definitely agree :smug:

@newVaper420 glad to hear the newest version is treating you well!

Last edited:

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Is the Cloud Evo a pure convection vape, like the Hopper? If it isn't, that could explain a significant difference in vapor profile and extraction efficiency

Yup. All glass airpath. Flower goes in something called an ELB which is metal.

---

I think it's the short distance from the heater to the material, and also how close the material is inside the hopper. Of course I'm incredibly high right now. LMAO.

MoltenTiger

The insulation makes a massive difference I believe.
Material with a high R-value covered by a foil means that the majority of heat energy is getting applied where it's desired. The target temp is obtained without the heating element exceeding it - that shows a real efficiency you won't see on any other product. The GH gets shade for its battery life, but it only has tiny batteries, what it does with that power is super impressive.

I believe RBT is one of few others reaping the benefits from a moderately complex coil (huge surface area to mass ratio).

The Sublimator is the only thing I've got a harder hit from than the GH can offer, but the amount of heat the Sub utilises is intense. So much heat that no insulation is required as the heat transfer is instantaneous, hence sublimation. The GH has the capacity to hit almost as hard, but only the occasional unit has enough mustard. Most run cooler than possible, and even still it's a nice potent hit. But when they are running at max potential, it's ridiculous.

habitat-fc

I think the difference is more in the speed of extraction of the Hopper, I get higher off my Evo if I haven't used a fast extracting vape earlier in the day.

But I never use the Hopper at home anymore as it never gets me to the same level my Evo or Flowerpot can, they just take a bit more building up of the high, especially the Evo. It seems as these things are very subjective but I have never had a portable which gets me more stoned then the Evo or Flowerpot.
When I am out the portables get me super stoned but when I am at home in the vape room the portables feel weak in comparison to my desktop vapes.

My friend who combusts loves the Hopper and I think it's because of the one hit whole extraction which is more similar to having a bong.

Another difference is the Hopper never sedates me, whereas I struggle to stay awake through the day if I have Evo or Flowerpot hits during the day.

I agree that it is the hardest hitting portable though, at least out of the ones I have tried.

MoltenTiger

I think the difference is more in the speed of extraction of the Hopper, I get higher off my Evo if I haven't used a fast extracting vape earlier in the day.

But I never use the Hopper at home anymore as it never gets me to the same level my Evo or Flowerpot can, they just take a bit more building up of the high, especially the Evo. It seems as these things are very subjective but I have never had a portable which gets me more stoned then the Evo or Flowerpot.
When I am out the portables get me super stoned but when I am at home in the vape room the portables feel weak in comparison to my desktop vapes.

My friend who combusts loves the Hopper and I think it's because of the one hit whole extraction which is more similar to having a bong.

Another difference is the Hopper never sedates me, whereas I struggle to stay awake through the day if I have Evo or Flowerpot hits during the day.

I agree that it is the hardest hitting portable though, at least out of the ones I have tried.
Yeah, that is something. I find the Hopper keeps me awake if anything.

Possibly it's relatively low heat and the amount a chamber fits (.13g).
I can easily put twice that in the sub and hit it in one or two goes with the temp cranked above what a hopper does, and the ABV is competely consistent, and that basically knocks me out.

But even comparing similar quantities I share your sentiments, it shows in the ABV too. I haven't even had a hopper yet for that reason - the Sub is on, but I just busted up the last of my OG Kush so I guess I better change that and get some terpy GH hits

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Isn't marijuana amazing? And aren't vaporizers amazing? I have the complete opposite experience. At least, this last batch, and this last hopper.

3.5 is my max temperature. Any higher, and I feel like I'll get real close to combustion, if not combustion.

I can extract a shit ton of stuff, but real quickly it starts tasting like shit. Roasted flavor and all.

And then I'm tired as shit. LOL. The EVO, I can hit that shit over and over, and it won't make me tired. But the hopper, just thinking about it, I just yawned LOL.

eideal852

Dunno if I'm expecting more than I should: I get good, immediate, as-you-want-them pulls, natively and lightly fogging a JBD glass bong (maybe too much volume, but not huge).

But def not one hit extraction. I can pull a few, even into glass, and STILL end up with b-garage-light, slightly greenish ABV, certainly not fully brown. This is by filling the chamber to the top by pouring ground herb out of a DoobTube, and tapping the side of hopper lightly to settle. Full but not packed.
Should I use less? More? I run at 5 always, which is not in line with other's claim of 3.5-4 tops. I'm nowhere NEAR combustion. (hello Silver surfer!) Am I too cool? (temps) Is it madness to consider service to see if I'm a bit low? I only have one, no comparisons to be had...

I also can daytime it plenty w no crash, though if I am under temp, its more likely due to the high temp terps not crushing me.

snaffle

Dunno if I'm expecting more than I should: I get good, immediate, as-you-want-them pulls, natively and lightly fogging a JBD glass bong (maybe too much volume, but not huge).

But def not one hit extraction. I can pull a few, even into glass, and STILL end up with b-garage-light, slightly greenish ABV, certainly not fully brown. This is by filling the chamber to the top by pouring ground herb out of a DoobTube, and tapping the side of hopper lightly to settle. Full but not packed.
Should I use less? More? I run at 5 always, which is not in line with other's claim of 3.5-4 tops. I'm nowhere NEAR combustion. (hello Silver surfer!) Am I too cool? (temps) Is it madness to consider service to see if I'm a bit low? I only have one, no comparisons to be had...

Sounds similar to mine, though with a sufficiently long draw (maybe 30-40s, not sure, I have large lung capacity though) I can get the majority of the goodness extracted in one long hit. But I always use mine at 5, too, and it isn't as hot as it could be.

I wouldn't say you should send it for service, though. They may well say it's operating within expected parameters, and it could take a long time. Better to just be grateful that you have one that is working ;) As far as pack, I vary how full or empty it is, never packing much, and it always seems to do the job. There may be optimum ways to do it, but any seems to work well.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I don't know. Honestly, if I wasn't getting the roasting I was desiring, I would send it back and wait. However, it is working, so thats a good thing. So I don't know.

I know that I was on the other end of the spectrum, and mine was combusting, and I made sure to send it in.

My hopper milks the tube ridiculous. way more than my Cloud Evo. It's quite impressive.

Last edited:

eideal852

Yeah, the bummer is that I don’t have anything to compare it to. Although I do like the ease of use and speed. It’s my fave atm for the same reasons as everyone else, but what if it could be even BETTER.

I’ve tried asking the guy I picked it up off for any opinions or recommendations (he’s owned multiples, and dealt with all the usual service nightmares as you all, Though this unit, blue titanium, was unregistered and never serviced ) but he’s gone radio silent. I think I went a little neurotic when I originally found him and his frustrations here, post-transaction but pre-receipt of GH, and over-messaged all my “holy shit what did I do?” thoughts.

Cheesequake, you still around?

nonbeliever

Ok I made it through one bowl no combustion. That's progress LOL. I was in between 3 and 4....

I don't think I'm going to go much higher LOL. 4 might be limit.

I'll keep posting results.

Why is this thing so damn good. LOL :-). So ripped right now from that one bowl. Damn it Hopper Labs!

Edit. Uh oh. Second one might have had combustion. Need another test. Also lowered dial. LOL.

I found with the last two units I received (both are since back in RMA land) very similar characteristics. If I turned up the dial past 3.5, it would start to combust - at 4 it was in between and at 5 it was pretty quick to combust. I also noticed one other nuance, when the batteries were weaker - think almost constant blue flickering even when not hitting, and I turned the unit off, then back on.. if the batteries were too weak, the unit would shut off immediately - red lights on for a few seconds, then off. With a new battery put in, it would immediately heat up and turn blue when it reached temperature.

habitat-fc

@eideal852 It sounds like yours is running cooler then it should be, I am wondering if it would be worth testing a new battery before sending it in? Sometimes the batteries don't perform well after a bit, if you got it second hand maybe the battery has degraded in performance? As from what I read on here sending it in can be a nightmare experience, so I would leave that to the last resort.

@newVaper420 is correct it should really milk the tube up, it is a very visually impressive vape, and the ABV should look perfectly roasted after one giant hit (I have big lungs though as I used to be a long distance runner). I use mine at 4.5 as I find 5 too dark ABV. I use a Santa Cruz shredder grinder and hand sprinkle it in to the chamber, fill the chamber up but never pack it down. I use the PFE combined with a D020-D. I start my draw slowish but start speeding up when I see some vapour but not too fast to overwhelm the heater, then the glass milks up and the whole chamber is spent in one hit.

@newVaper420 The grasshopper milks the glass really well because it has more draw resistance then say a Flowerpot Showerhead, but it doesn't mean it will be stronger just because the vapor stays in the glass rather then shooting straight into your lungs. My EVO can white wall my Hydrabomb though so I am confused why yours can't, maybe your EVO is not working as well as could be?

Hammahead

Any time I read this sort of statement I fail to see the logic behind it. This only means you will wait even longer than if you just sent it in the moment they invite you to open an RMA. It's a first in/first out thing, so I don't really get the motivation behind that.

Even after 4 months I don't feel good. All the time I imagine the Damocles' sword.

That's why I bought a 2nd one at their cash-flow err.. make-good rebate campaign earlier this year. And it has helped a lot with my anxiety. The new one works like a charm, no flickering, backend doesn't get hot, fat clouds at 4, near combustion at 5 - as if Instagram became real life. I only use that like once every couple weeks, my daily Hopper is the RMAd one. It's flickering, backend gets mad hot at times* and at 5 its as hot as the new one at 4 but it does the job just right. Life is good.

* whenever the backend gets too hot, I unscrew it and screw it back on just a little less tight, not to the limit, but a little less. Sometimes I combine this with a little back and forth with the temp dial. After that the backend stays a bit warm but not hot.

eideal852

@eideal852 It sounds like yours is running cooler then it should be, I am wondering if it would be worth testing a new battery before sending it in? Sometimes the batteries don't perform well after a bit, if you got it second hand maybe the battery has degraded in performance? As from what I read on here sending it in can be a nightmare experience, so I would leave that to the last resort.

[

Actually that’s something I’ve thought of but forgot to ask:
Batteries. Is that how it works?
Never sure whether they give less power or last less time. Both?

Top Bottom