• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mr. Me2

I don't know, 20 percent failure on the maybe 2 or 3 hundred very first units out doesn't seem that bad to me. Now if they are still showing that ratio once they have a few thousand out...yeah, they'd probably collapse then.
I've also been following the MiVape thread here. That new convection Vape is just starting to roll out. And although it's just the 1st units getting to FCers, the failure rate seems MUCH higher than the gh. Funny that there isn't the same level of concern about the device or company on that thread... I wonder why?

Mr. Me2

Was the miVape crowd funded? That could be the difference?
Doesn't look like it was crowd funded. This is from Vaporfection. If so, no "investors", but it looks like people have been waiting for this one (the MiVape) longer than for the gh. My comment above was really focused on failure rates, but we can talk about time to market and related delays, and compare quality of communication. I don't have experience with Vaporfection so I hope that others weigh in on all of this.

Personally, I think a failure rate comparison is more important to keep things in perspective here.

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
I was just responding to your question of why there is less interest/commotion in the miVape thread. Plus, it DID take so long to get to market that people have moved on because they hadn't put any money into the project.

And yes, two for two duds is not promising.

Lwc3d

Perpetually Faded
Then again a small number of people Lost their money when they pre-ordered it a few years ago, which helps bring out the skeptic in you when a vape release keeps getting delayed now like with the 'hopper.

Pre-orders falls under purchasing a product that is not yet released. This pertains to anyone after the IGG campaign. I believe they opened them in Dec. of 2014. Pre-prders are not crowd funding and you CAN get your money back. Personally I have been waiting only 4 months past MY estimate and feel that this is WELL worth the wait :leaf:

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Pre-orders falls under purchasing a product that is not yet released. It is not crowd funding and you CAN get your money back. Personally I have been waiting only 4 months past estimate and feel that this is WELL worth the wait :leaf:

The mi-vape we were talking about wasn't crowd funded and you can only file a claim with a cc or paypal for a certain length of time if you paid with a debit card you were just plain SOL. So if you believed they would deliver ('cause they kept sayin' "it's ready but ...") and waited 4-6 months you were out your money if you paid with a CC or paypal too.

Also the original proposed release date for the grasshopper was Feb 2014 not 4 months ago.

smutman

SmutmanMDCXX
The mi-vape we were talking about wasn't crowd funded and you can only file a claim with a cc or paypal for a certain length of time if you paid with a debit card you were just plain SOL. So if you believed they would deliver ('cause they kept sayin' "it's ready but ...") and waited 4-6 months you were out your money if you paid with a CC or paypal too.

Also the original proposed release date for the grasshopper was Feb 2014 not 4 months ago.
Hate to tell you but no matter how you pay with something and how long you wait; your bank will get you your money back. I have done it with PayPal. It was over 8 months before I remembered a cd I ordered (paid with paypal) and never received it. Paypal did nothing but Bank of America gave me my money back. If you don't get your money back on anything you buy (whether preorder or not) no matter how long you wait (1 day to 1 year), then you deserve to lose your money.

Lwc3d

Perpetually Faded

I was talking about my experience here not when it was scheduled for release. My estimated delivery date was April. My fault for not specifying here I guess.

As well I won't test trying to get a refund but it has happened more than once for the GH ordeal. https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHoppe...w_trevor_from_the_grasshopper_team_helped_me/
When I read the post all I could think is, well duh he refunded your money, he is obligated to do so. I could be wrong being I'm no lawyer :razz:

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
For those keeping score better than me, are there any known failures for the Ti hoppers out there or are they mostly stainless so far?

Also, is there any pattern where the failures (red and blue lights) have happened on higher heat settings or no?

Lwc3d

Perpetually Faded
For those keeping score better than me, are there any known failures for the Ti hoppers out there or are they mostly stainless so far?

Also, is there any pattern where the failures (red and blue lights) have happened on higher heat settings or no?

Internal of both SS and Ti are the same, only the outer shell is different.

Lwc3d

Perpetually Faded
Yes, but stainless and Ti oxidize differently and with the body being used as the wire for connections, I was curious if any Ti's have had issues?

Not that I have seen from lurking on FC or Reddit. Both are considered oxidation resistant, but Ti gets a better layer of oxidation, being more protective against pitting in airplanes. With a color Ti being anodized, there is a layer already on the unit. This being said, I am not certain that its the same as a normal layer of oxidation though.

vapebuddy13

Your resident Super Hero
There have also been less Ti to go out and it was a good amount of time before we got notice of any going out so the problems may have been solved before Ti's were ready... its also possible that the Ti units/parts are made separately even if the inside components are the same so its possible the issues didnt occur on those parts #futureTiownerhopeful

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Hate to tell you but no matter how you pay with something and how long you wait; your bank will get you your money back. I have done it with PayPal. It was over 8 months before I remembered a cd I ordered (paid with paypal) and never received it. Paypal did nothing but Bank of America gave me my money back. If you don't get your money back on anything you buy (whether preorder or not) no matter how long you wait (1 day to 1 year), then you deserve to lose your money.

I agree...you'd be amazed at the situations in which I have received refunds.

It's also worth remembering that the major credit card companies frown on their vendors charging a customer prior to shipping the purchased item...Visa specifically forbids their merchants from charging you before shipping. (It's not illegal, and it happens, but if you have an issue, Visa will refund your money, and possibly take action against the vendor.)

While I don't really think anyone deserves to lose money, no one should stand by and get ripped off. Use of a credit card, or PayPal, is highly protective, and a teeny bit of aggression on our part with the credit card companies always yields results. No one has ever gotten away with ripping me off, for long, so far....(if that isn't a jinxy thing to say...:p)

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Does anyone have any real information about refunds, beyond "they did it for me"?

The only information I've found in regards to Visa (credit or debit) only covers fraud.

Paypal states it's a 60 day window to request refunds.

Edit: Obviously, GHL has been good (so far) about refunding money for those who can't wait, but I was interested in other protection.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
To clarify a little (and I know it's off topic here) the person I know that lost money back then only used pre-paid debit cards or money orders to pay for anything(no bank account, computer or cell phone) so had no recourse to get the money back.

Strange as it may sound she wanted a GH when I showed her the thread here and gave me cash to cover my cost to join in the 'hopper fundraising campaign for her, She winters in Florida and I won't see her or really need the grasshopper in my hands until early November so I can actually wait until they work out all the bugs.

:peace:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Does anyone have any real information about refunds, beyond "they did it for me"?

The only information I've found in regards to Visa (credit or debit) only covers fraud.

Paypal states it's a 60 day window to request refunds.

Edit: Obviously, GHL has been good (so far) about refunding money for those who can't wait, but I was interested in other protection.

If you are looking for policy, you may not find it. "They did it for me" is the difference between losing money and getting your money back. If you have a beef about something, and you paid via Visa, call Visa. Tell them your story. Invest 15 minutes. You will almost certainly get your money back. There are all kinds of ways to get refunds when you have been wronged that aren't verbally specified in Visa's (or other banks) Ts and Cs. (If you haven't been wronged, that's another story...but "charged me without shipping" is more than enough to get a refund from Visa....I've done it on more than one occasion.)

Pay with Visa, MC, AmEx, or PayPal, and trust me, you have protection that extends beyond what is explicitly spelled out. You just need to exert your position on the phone with them, a teeny bit.

zymos

Titanium is only a slightly poorer electrical conductor than SS.

"Titanium is not a good conductor of electricity. If the conductivity of copper is considered to be 100%, titanium would have a conductivity of 3.1%. From this it follows that titanium would not be used where good conductivity is a prime factor. For comparison, stainless steel has a conductivity of 3.5% and aluminum has a conductivity of 30%."

tubasco

guys, i really think the Ti bodies are simply a higher cost to HL, so naturally they are trying to work out kinks in SS models instead. Like a previous post said: "the guts are the same." So why do all the beta testing in a more expensive outer shell (and risk more failures) if you have a cheaper alternative?

tubasco,
Top Bottom