Discontinued The Grasshopper

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I want to inject the thread with a positive-experience story. Nothing personal, but it seems lately there's a bit of an echo chamber going on here with a handful of frequent posters. I don't mean to minimize the experiences these guys are having, but I do feel that reading the same complaint multiple times should be unnecessary -- as members we are specifically asked to avoid being redundant in our posts here.

I happen to agree that it sucks big-time to be dependent on HL these days, as everything is delayed, delayed, delayed, projections are missed, repairs take forever, emails aren't answered (in my case, all of my recent emails have been answered withing two days) but I tend to keep a very long view on the company and I'm still willing to ride out the storm. I really still think this is going to be a great long-term relationship between me and HL.

My two hoppers had a very long rest period while I was on a year-long break. One of the only good things about the break was the timing -- I largely missed the months' long re-vamp at Hopper Labs last winter, just wasn't affected because I had no needs during that time. When I did finally bust the Hoppers out a couple of months ago, one was working well but the other was showing signals of both bad back end and body; I knew it had to go to HL but also knew it could be (many?) months before I'd see it again.

Not liking the prospect of being "down to my last Grasshopper" my interest was piqued when a member posted about The Herb Cafe in Toronto having new-model Hoppers in stock, and further that they would have capability to handle warranty problems in Canada, so buyers would not necessarily have to depend on HL for service. Even though I'm in US, and intend to try to stay with HL for my service needs, the sheer fact that Herb Cafe had Hoppers in stock was enough to get met to act, since I had a vacation coming up and really wanted a backup hopper asap. So, this is the first Grasshopper (of 5) for which I'm paying full boat retail, but I rationalize that my average cost-per-hopper is still very low. The deal from The Herb Cafe, with a small discount code and free shipping policy, actually came out a few bucks less than direct purchase from HL would have been. And THC (clever name!) had them in stock.

I can report that my experience with THC was excellent in all regards. Got new Hopper in about a week, beautiful Green Ti model, and it is performing as one of the best Hoppers ever, so far. (S/N is GT0014xxx). Fast heat-up, very smooth temp dial, single clicks to 'on' after auto shut-off, and the charge blinking, after one quick red, waits about 10-15 seconds before the regular red blinking begins. I have yet to push the temp dial all the way up. It is performing at 3.5 just about the same as previous Hoppers have done at about 4.2. Fingers still crossed (always will be, I guess!), but this one looks like a keeper.

Last edited:

mario

Got my replacement Ti body in and it’s working 100% right after the first 3 bowls :)

Edit: no need to mess around with it, clean threads and contacts, etc., this one just worked right away :)

Is that a replacement that you purchased or a warranty replacement? (I'm still waiting for my spare body order)

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
@vapviking the problem with your statement above is that it’s dependent per situation. The moment you start to have a problem, they won’t respond. That’s the issue. They were super fast in responding to me when they didn’t have to really do anything.

For instance, on July 6th they claimed that my Hopper was finished, but it wasn’t as they didn’t ship it for 12 days after that message. And they wouldn’t respond to any of my messages.

Sure, when things aren’t going well, I may seem like an echo chamber. You can check my post history. I had the same experience with VapeXhale. And you know what, they came on the forums. They called me directly. They tried really hard to resolve their issues and make things better for their customers. It was a really shitty situation but they plowed through.

I think Grasshopper, as much as I love the unit, is hindered by its failed components, failed engineering team, and failed customer service.

Yes, this is a small niche of the whole world of grasshpppers, and yes the people who post on the Internet are the ones who generally complain, but again, go look at my post history and you will see, I praise companies whenever they do the right thing.

In fact, when they got me the unit on July 20th, I definitely praised them for trying to do the right thing. But then, sending me 2 broken bodies, putting me to the back of the line, and then not responding to my last email, I mean, how can anyone defend that?

Yes, I know the unit is amazing when it works. But that’s just it. They’ve had it just as long as I’ve had it now almost. So what good is a unit if you can’t use it? Someone said to me, oh just it lightly. Nope, not me. If it doesn’t work at the level I need it, then it’s not for me.

Anyway, I spent money to ship it back, I spent money to buy new batteries which they said I needed (I didn’t), and now they are not responding. It’s pretty absurd.

Anyhow, don’t mean to offend anyone. And as I stated, the unit itself, when it works is the best portable unit I’ve personally tried. But, reliability is king. And the Mighty wins that for me every time.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@vapviking the problem with your statement above is that it’s dependent per situation. The moment you start to have a problem, they won’t respond. That’s the issue. They were super fast in responding to me when they didn’t have to really do anything.

For instance, on July 6th they claimed that my Hopper was finished, but it wasn’t as they didn’t ship it for 12 days after that message. And they wouldn’t respond to any of my messages.

Sure, when things aren’t going well, I may seem like an echo chamber. You can check my post history. I had the same experience with VapeXhale. And you know what, they came on the forums. They called me directly. They tried really hard to resolve their issues and make things better for their customers. It was a really shitty situation but they plowed through.
Sorry, but I don't see any problem with my statement above. Of course it is only about my own situation, but isn't that pretty much what we're all doing, writing about our experiences with the vape (the subject of this forum) and sometimes the company? I did express that I think some folks are posting repetitively. It's my opinion that that practice is boring and contrary to the forum rules, but it's not that big a deal. I have no desire to check your post history. If some are posting repeatedly just to get HL's attention, I believe they're wasting everyone's time and I doubt this is the way to get satisfaction from HL.

So my personal viewpoint is just that, one person's perspective. I indeed had some frustrations with HL in earlier days (check my post history!). And, as I said, my experience is skewed as I did not need HL through the cruel winter of '18. But since receiving my original Hoppers (pre-order) I will say that every interaction I've had with HL (through 12 RMA's) has ended with me being a satisfied customer.

Hey, sorry if this comes off as argumentative. My post was not about you in the first place, I have no particular issue with you! Hey! I'm a fellow Mighty lover!

mario

Well it's official, my Hopper doesn't quite do anything anymore. I can turn it up to 5 and the ABV comes out green as I put it in. The Hopper feels hot and the mouth piece gets hot but I obviously not as hot as it is supposed to be. Still waiting for that spare body I ordered, hope that fixes the issue.

Rel2018

Well it's official, my Hopper doesn't quite do anything anymore. I can turn it up to 5 and the ABV comes out green as I put it in. The Hopper feels hot and the mouth piece gets hot but I obviously not as hot as it is supposed to be. Still waiting for that spare body I ordered, hope that fixes the issue.

That sucks dude !
Do you get any clouds ?
And did you order a new battery as well ?

Last edited:
Rel2018,

Rel2018

I have 4 batteries and tried them all.

I didn't get any visible vapor at all. I'm going to clean it again and keep tinkering. But I think the body is toast. I'll have to wait and see when I get the new body in the mail.

Never had visible vapor or just now ?
Did you ever give it ISO bath ? ( this is not a recommendation ;) )

Rel2018,
Reactions: JCat

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I have 4 batteries and tried them all.

I didn't get any visible vapor at all. I'm going to clean it again and keep tinkering. But I think the body is toast. I'll have to wait and see when I get the new body in the mail.

This is exactly what happened to me in San Francisco. It was just dead. It would feel like it should be getting hot, but it never did. And the blue light came on instantaneously. And the compressed air didn't work. :-(

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Mine still has red light heating up time. Then eventually changes to blue in about the expected 5 seconds. But then it doesn't seem like anything is happening.

I got it to show the red lights for a little bit of time as well. Anyhow, none-the-less, sounds like you need an RMA :-(.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
While it may be a small sample size after reading the last four pages of posts after a long lurking hiatus, lots of us - myself included - are still experiencing issues with our Hoppers. And most of the issues deal with electrical - then again there's not much else to the design which should keep things simple but... While I love mine, and I'm in-process of initiating warranty service for the first time, issues still persist with new and old units. The batteries are somewhat of an albatross as I've had a few bad ones that didn't hold much of charge. I'm not an engineer but the electronics are far from perfect. Same can be said of their customer service and I'm dreading sending my pre-order Ti into the abyss. The overall design, portability, ease of use and cleaning are what keeps me liking it so much. We shall see...

MoltenTiger

While it may be a small sample size after reading the last four pages of posts after a long lurking hiatus, lots of us - myself included - are still experiencing issues with our Hoppers. And most of the issues deal with electrical - then again there's not much else to the design which should keep things simple but... While I love mine, and I'm in-process of initiating warranty service for the first time, issues still persist with new and old units. The batteries are somewhat of an albatross as I've had a few bad ones that didn't hold much of charge. I'm not an engineer but the electronics are far from perfect. Same can be said of their customer service and I'm dreading sending my pre-order Ti into the abyss. The overall design, portability, ease of use and cleaning are what keeps me liking it so much. We shall see...
Yeah and on the other hand I'm down a Tubo X but after nearly 3 months, the hopper is the same as day one.
Truly a luck of the draw type of situation I guess.

I've got the new ModPod Labs Stem Pod ordered, looks like we're finally seeing some serious competition to the hopper.
But the hopper is better than the Tubo, I imagine it'll beat the SP too.

It really sucks they haven't delivered a robust GH iteration... But then again, how are others going with brand new hoppers?

Once they actually have a robust product, if they can manage it, it will be interesting to see how the market reacts. It's been a bit boring as it is. The hopper is so much better than most portables.

fogbank

I've got the new ModPod Labs Stem Pod ordered, looks like we're finally seeing some serious competition to the hopper.
But the hopper is better than the Tubo, I imagine it'll beat the SP too.

I’ve used my StemPod a few times. Interesting device and a lot of fun to mess around with, but I could never imagine it being a Hopper replacement. It has great potential as a pure convection vape in a 510 format, but the Hopper already trumps it in ease of use, speed, and stealth. The StemPod does win out on battery life, and some could argue that the form factor is stealthier than the Hopper’s when in use (resembling an e-juice vape rig). It also extracts well and produces strong medicating effect.

Still...the Hopper prevails

MoltenTiger

I’ve used my StemPod a few times. Interesting device and a lot of fun to mess around with, but I could never imagine it being a Hopper replacement. It has great potential as a pure convection vape in a 510 format, but the Hopper already trumps it in ease of use, speed, and stealth. The StemPod does win out on battery life, and some could argue that the form factor is stealthier than the Hopper’s when in use (resembling an e-juice vape rig). It also extracts well and produces strong medicating effect.

Still...the Hopper prevails
nice, quality input. Seems like my expectations are in check.

I mainly got one as it is user repairable, and obviously quite durable.

It'll probably be nearly redundant with my Tubo in all honesty, but until that's working and when, it'll be a nice toy to have

snorcan

Stay charged, my friends
I’m getting flashing red and blue lights but only on occasion... when I leave it overnight or recharge, it seems to work normally... but then eventually I’ll get the cop lights happening... should probably initiatiate an RMA. Two year old+ grey Ti unit

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I’m getting flashing red and blue lights but only on occasion... when I leave it overnight or recharge, it seems to work normally... but then eventually I’ll get the cop lights happening... should probably initiatiate an RMA. Two year old+ grey Ti unit
I've never had cop lights in 2+ years, only red and occasionally prematurely due to a couple bad batteries (out of 7 total - so far). I use Nitecore chargers and have never used the supplied charging cable or the new one HL made nor would I give them much more of my money - except for batteries and perhaps a silicone tip.

Which, by the way, I used for the first time in a long time - I don't use one usually - with a small glass pipe and had the temp at 4.5 (my sweet spot without the tip is 3.7-3.9) and it was good but the unit ran hot, understandably so. However a good thing seems to have happened: the draw resistance since then has been somewhat improved! I wonder if there were some particles in the fan housing even though my grind is not that fine but after a while some shriveled AVB could possibly escape through the bottom of the chamber.

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
Well I have a tracking number for my body now, should be here on Thursday. I'm really hoping this fixes my issue :) Then I just have to send back a faulty body and not do an entire RMA
That's great they did that for you, I asked them to do that for me but they made me send my whole unit in again, after it had already been gone for months in rma. They SAY they'll send it back this week after having been gone almost a month this time.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I got this today from Hopper Labs.

header.jpg

Hi Carol,

Thanks for taking a minute to read about our latest progress and developments. In July we successfully sustained a combine 200 units a week of assembly and warranty. Our new heating component assembly line is operating smoothly paving the way for higher volumes in the coming months, and the addition of more automation is making the whole process faster.

Our primary goal for the coming months is to increase the throughput to service warranties and new orders more quickly. We already succeeded in ramping up production of the new in-house processes to a base level. We now are pushing to add 5-10% to that capacity every two weeks. There are easy gains by having the existing machines operate for more hours each day and complex ones including the addition of further automation.

auto.f949d7e223fd.png

Over the last nine months, we have scaled up our efforts to automate the process. We have drastically reduced manufacturing errors and increased throughput without adding overhead cost. Two current projects involve using custom vision systems to detect part orientation and then perform a task on them and advance to the next part. We now have machines operating that handle much of the testing and sub-assembly.

There has been a delay with machined parts coming in. We currently hold a sizable inventory of 98% of the metal parts required to assemble the unit but have been waiting on two small items necessary to finish assembly of some devices. If you are waiting on an order, this is the holdup. We have been pressuring the, and these parts are expected to arrive in 20-30 days. Until that time we have a small supply source that is providing components resulting in slower assembly times.

The rate at which the backlog of warranty is being serviced is primarily limited to the number of techs we can afford to employ. We are working to make the process faster and ensure they have the available parts needed to fix units. To be fair to everyone we always try to service units in the order they were received. We know this can be frustrating which is why we have made thebody component of the device available for purchase. If you need help determining if a new body can help with your hopper issue, please contact support. Although the intro price is now over, we are offering 15% off these through the weekend to allow anyone who needs one to get it for a discount.

Use code: body15
Here is a quick breakdown of what devices are shipping now.

Stainless Hoppers - Currently servicing March-April Orders due to the parts supply shortage. Expect to be moving faster on these units in the next 30 days.
Titanium Hoppers - Almost entirely caught up.
Color Hoppers - Depends on the color. Generally serving April-Current.
HT Hoppers - 2 to 3 days ship time when available.

Accessories - We are currently only out of Bronze and Blue PFEs which are expected soon.

Stainless Case and External Charger - Current estimations are October and/or the end of the year. Design and development are complete we are working on production and packaging for these products. Priority of labor is still being given to warranty and assembly speed.

Visit Our Website

Boulder, CO

Top Bottom