1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Cheesequake

Cheesequake Well-Known Member

That's just going to come down to the individual 100%. I literally never combust with the Milaana and rarely even get hot spots these days. I don't even think about my technique anymore it's pretty much become second nature to get a perfect tasty huge hit every time. Also I haven't used the newest version, but apparently RBT has made some changes that make it much easier to get consistant results for beginners.

I definitely wouldn't call the Milaana semi portable because of the heat factor, I think most people will find the vapor plenty cool enough to enjoy. I would call it semi portable though because of the removable glass stem and glass components on the vape itself. I rarely if ever take it anywhere because I'm scared I will break it or the stem will come loose in my pocket. The grasshopper is one of the only good AND truly portable vapes I think I've ever come across, however I do see why some people would say it's too hot native.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    slcbdco, Vapor_Eyes, ataxian and 4 others like this.
  2. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

I'll have to raise my hand as one with the "pussy lips" because I have trouble with the standard tip and with the PFE. Mine get crazy hot.

For true portability, stealth and flavor, the FW3 and FW4 are tough to beat.

ataxian, btka and newVaper420 like this.
  3. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

In my opinion the hot front end means that the Grasshopper is not portable or stealth.

ataxian, JCat, Al.. and 2 others like this.
  4. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Can't see the conection of the hot front end to your called points!?

Stealth factor of the GH is currently unbeaten. I'm waiting for my Splinter. Regulated, overworked heater and much more steath than the Mi.

5. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

I cant put my lips to it. To do so requires adding some form of extended mouthpiece or glass. It no longer looks like a pen. Therefore no stealth for me. Fury 2 wins here but Grasshopper pumps out thick vapor.

6. btka

btka Well-Known Member

is there a big difference between vapor production between grasshopper and fury 2?

I ordered a fury 2 yesterday... and I hope it will produce big clouds...

7. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

Well first of all the Fury 2 works every time without fail for me. If they are both working the Grasshopper produces bigger clouds but Fury 2 will milk the fuck out of most water pieces and also produces nice clouds. They both extract pretty quickly but the Grasshopper is an all round heavier vape.

8. elykpeace

elykpeace exVASted

I've had a fury2 with protect mode and needed to be replaced after 5 months..

No vape is perfect. GH is close.(edit: for my needs)

@btka Fury2 is impressive you will be happy if you got the wpa.. closest to full convection if you preheat and load it up when it's ready to go.

Taste is alright.
    Really for the price you can't go wrong. Customer service For sure is top notch.

Back to the GH. Been 20days and besides that false start (blink blue/backend heat 4 times it's working great. Still have the SS on the shelf to tag in if it comes to that

Good luck new arrivals/returned rmas

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    slcbdco, Vapor_Eyes, JCat and 5 others like this.
  9. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Looky what I got today. Sent in 28 Feb, received by them (well, acknowledge receipt) on 1 Mar. RMA shipping return notice today, 8 Jun, so....13 weeks or so?? Wow. Well, we will see when it gets here.

By the by, I also own a SB Jr and Milaana and I do like them very much for on-demand convection. But portable and out and about...nah. GH is the king there. I also use my GH almost exclusively at home through water. I especially like it for that middle of the night session so I can get back to sleep. Its easy to load, easy to use, easy to clean up. I just hope that it stays working as well as it did before it failed.

[​IMG]

Vapor_Eyes, kbrown5523, JCat and 11 others like this.
  10. newVaper420

newVaper420 Vapor Enthusiast

Best wishes. Mine still there.

11. lazylathe

lazylathe Almost there...

@Baron23

I think I have been very lucky with my GH!
    Mine is 16 months old and has never had an RMA and never given me any real trouble.
    My only issue with it is that when I click it on, the lights will not come one and start heating.
    A simple twist of just the clicker mechanism resets it and away I go!

Love the speed, form factor, vapor quality and taste!
    Great effects from very small loads as well!

If GHLabs manage to provide a stable and consistently long lasting vape, the industry will be in trouble!

12. ataxian

ataxian PALE BLUE DOT

What function does the wood have?

Hjalmark likes this.
  13. VapeKnight

VapeKnight Well-Known Member

Maybe I've been lucky as well, I still have my two original early bird Ti units that work perfectly. The batteries are my only complaint as they don't alway hold a charge. I simply bring several with me even its just for a single use as I never know when one or more will fail to work. Yes, one of the backends gets hotter than I would like but its never affected the performance. the mouthpiece does get too hot for me to use without the silicone but this is not a big surprise. Did anyone ever think it would be cool...? As for stealth, it's arguably one of the best. There are vapes that are small and possibly unrecognizable as a vape, but nobody every EVER thinks the GH is anything other than a pen. that's stealth ! Compared to the Fury 2, I like the battery indicator , longer battery life, digital temp control, optional easy capsule loading, and cooler vape of the Fury 2. I prefer the taste , stealth, speed of the GH. Lets face it, it one vape were perfect we would one have ONE. :2c:

slcbdco, ooo, Vapor_Eyes and 7 others like this.
  14. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

I added a wooden/steel 510 ecigg stem/mouthpiece that fits on the grasshopper PFE and I can take huge rips on nearly the highest temp without discomfort

So for me the hopper is a pretty perfect outside portable

But annoying with the battery capacity and wish they could double that because I get maybe 3-4 bowls from fresh and sometimes barely two

But it's okey as long as it's sneaky single bowls or maybe two

15. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Mine made it 18 months so I also feel fortunate. Not a daily driver, but 18 months nonetheless

Well, yeah....but haven't we been talking about that for two years and in recent posts in this thread we are still seeing RMA returns that malfunction.

I mean...just how long are we supposed to be wishing on that particular star?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Vapor_Eyes, JCat, Hogni and 7 others like this.
  16. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

I think you should only wish "light lightheartedly" at that star
    I think because maybe it takes longer then anyone can afford

and I am trying to word that neutral as possible so both towards us the consumer and Hopper labs :\

or maybe they sell enough grasshopper to keep it going :bowdown: or lets at least hope so because some people here still have had hopper for over 3 years ? and still sending them in because "when it works" kind of deal :evil:

3 years ? wait ... how long has the hopper been out 3?

(3)=guesstamint:zombie:

17. ssrrosey

ssrrosey Member

Even if hopper labs goes out of business today I feel like I've gotten enough out of my two hoppers for them to be a worthwhile purchase. Together my SS and Ti cost the same as a new Pax not including my extra batteries etc. All of my friends with Paxs had them break in under 2 years, my hoppers have been going that long and I like them way more, anything after now is just a plus. Despite my RMA's being in the high teens I would do it all over again

18. mephisto

mephisto Well-Known Member

Nice to see a fresh perspective @ssrrosey , I have been through 5 hoppers and I just bought a used one to honk on when my new one needs to go RMA for awhile. The damn vape is badass when it works! I can't find another (I've tried ) that even comes close for 1 hit change of attitude hits to the brain. They still owe me and a slew of others some cases and oil front ends.......the call of the Grasshopper is impossible for me to resist.....

19. fogbank

fogbank Well-Known Member

For those of you tracking order/ship/receipt dates, I received my new plain Ti yesterday (6/7). I ordered it on 2/28. I never received a shipping confirmation, and my order on the HL site still says "Processed" with no estimated ship date (compare that with my external charger order, placed on 9/25/2017, which states "In Progress" with an estimated ship date of December 2017).

I probably won't be firing the new Ti up soon, so no performance report at this time. I can offer my observations from comparing it with my January 2016 Ti unit.

First, the back end seems different. When threading the back end onto the body it turns freely for longer than my old unit. It only seems to become difficult to turn when it's almost fully tightened, whereas on my old unit the threads seem to "catch" earlier and offer resistance longer (hope that makes sense).

The clicker behaves differently than the one on my old unit - almost exactly "opposite". On my old unit the red light comes on about half way through the initial clicker push, before the clicker actually "clicks". On my new unit the light doesn't come on until I release the clicker, after it actually "clicks". The behavior of the lights is similarly reversed when turning it off. I believe that this describes the difference between the initial clicker design and the newer ("digital") design.

The temp dial turns more smoothly on my new unit, with no detectable "gritty" feeling, but overall it is harder to turn than the dial on my old unit.

Now the fun part...

I was really excited to get my new Hopper. I decided to charge the new battery that came with it (GHB2 of course), so I connected the Hopper charging cable to the back end and plugged it in. The lights flashed red once, as per usual, then nothing. No red flash every 3 seconds as expected. I tried it again, same result. I tried a different battery, same result. I tried a different charging cable, same result. I tried a USB port on my computer instead of the USB/AC adapter that I've been using for years, same result. Panic set in. I have lots of charging options (4 Hoppers, 4 Hopper charging cables, a Nitecore D4, and a two bay Tenergy 18650/14500 charger) so I wasn't really concerned about not being able to charge the battery, but this IS my brand new Hopper and I like having the option to just throw it on the charger without removing the battery.

So I kept trying. I connected it to the charger and tried fiddling with the clicker. Suddenly I got another red flash, and it started charging! So I tried to repeat the procedure, but nothing happened the second time when I fiddled with the clicker. I kept trying different things. At one point I just touched the back end and the body at the same time, and it started charging! I tried repeating this procedure, and it seemed to work occasionally, but not always. So I slept on it and tried again today.

Today I connected it to the charger and got the initial red flash. I had to attend to something else, so I just laid the unit down. A few minutes later I looked at it and it was charging. So I tried it again - connected the charger, saw the initial red flash, laid it down, looked at it a minute later, and sure enough it was charging. So I tried laying it down and connecting the charger without touching the Hooper itself. Same thing - initial red flash then charging a few minutes later.

So I started timing how long it took before the charger "kicked in". Each time it started charging right around 27 seconds after I plugged it in.

I'm relieved that the charger actually works, but I don't recall anyone reporting this type of behavior before on this forum. It is reproducible, and it is pretty close to just under 27 seconds each time before it starts flashing/charging. It has successfully charged batteries (to flashing blue), so it appears to be working correctly despite this odd behavior.

So the whole time when I was fiddling with the clicker, or touching the body in different places, the 27 second timer was actually counting down, and eventually it just started charging on its own.

Anyone else experience this issue with the Hopper charger?

20. MonsterWithoutBorders

MonsterWithoutBorders Philosophim

Mine is coming home. I am sure it has forgotten who I am and there is a new ghostly sherriff in town. One email a week ago might have done the trick. It was AWOL since dec 4 when it fell into HL clutches.

Vapor_Eyes, ashinybox, JCat and 2 others like this.
  21. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

I don't care for direct hits at all, not really. Simply because of the heat and harshness.
    Though I do find though, when stealth is most required for myself, I find I don't want to be taking more than a couple of hits, and for that the GH is bearable. On a cold day or in high altitudes it's actually quite nice, but generally it's quite harsh and sharp. The front ends I can bear for a couple of hits, I find the standard pen shape is the nicest because it has better heat insulation.

Compared to all my vapes including the MFLB and Dynavap M, the GH is ultra portable, and stealthy. Though I feel lame vaping in public because of the ejuice scene, at least there's something to blend in with for a real world benefit

22. ktmstick

ktmstick Well-Known Member

Went to the emergency ward (A & E) yesterday and was left in a consultation room for over an hour on my own, needless to say the grasshopper got used for 2 super tasty hits, one at 3 and one at 4. No other vape would be as quick and discreet enough to give me the confidence to use in that situation.

snaffle, slcbdco, blackstone and 10 others like this.
  23. Copacetic

Copacetic Somewhere North of The Wall

Hope you're OK now man :ugh:
    Best wishes for the rest of the family too :cheers:

I've been trying out my new PFE quite a bit, and although it does provide an 'airier' hit with greatly reduced draw restriction, I actually still prefer the OG mouthpiece.
    I tend to hover around 1/3Rd to 2/3Rd on the dial and my MP never gets too hot to use.
    If I turn it right up, and take looong hits back to back (which I never need myself, but can imagine when sharing) then it can get too hot to finish a rip.
    I never do that though :shrug:

One of my new batteries causes the back end to get toasty (not scalding) when on high temps/long draw, but it's just that one battery, the other 2 I have don't exhibit this behaviour, and the one that does is fine at temps below 'RAGE!' anyway.

24. barleecat

barleecat Active Member

Yep mine does that...came back from RMA 2weeks ago. Charged it 3times as my Hopper wasn’t working properly and I thought maybe it wasn’t charging right. Would plug in to charge Hopper, red light might blink once then nothing for almost 30seconds then it would start blinking and charging...seemed to charge fully I think...Never had that issue before RMA....always would start charging right away....

25. WeedLover

WeedLover Member

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After waiting since mid-December 2017 when i sent in my Grasshopper for repairs for the sixth time i finally got it back last week and my unit is acting EXACTLY like yours !

Since my unit had always exhibited problems when charging (very/very finicky combo !) i imagined that after this recent parts update the problem would go away but, if anything, is worse than usual, and i started to panic thinking "here we go again: time to email Grasshopper and start a return process", but now that you and others are also reporting the exact same problem i will do as you suggest : plug my Grasshopper to its cable & wall charger and wait for approximately 30 seconds to see if the red LED starts to blink indicating it is working as it should.

Thank you very much for posting your finding . I certainly hope that is all there is to it !

Easywider, JCat and Vapor_Eyes like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors