• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

nonbeliever

damn, this thread has gotten huge!

that I ripped out and put into the mouthpiece/cap and magnetically holds on the on/off that I took off the GH and placed next to it. I started this project because I wanted to add a "heat" button for the GH, so I could turn the vape on, select my temp with the deial and use a separate switch held down for the heat but I can't get it to work...I think my wires are too small Gauge or too long or my switch is the wrong voltage...any ideas why this won't work? I can get it to light breiefly but the heater won't stay on with the switch engaged....Hope you like these creations and I hope y'all can help with my switch ]
dsc0110-9.jpg

I’m not an engineer, but something I’ve noticed in the past is that my hopper “status” can be affected by metal touching the hopper body. Because their design uses the hopper body as a power circuit, perhaps either the magnet, or some other metal component is touching the body and convincing the unit it is timed out, or is turned off or is shutting it off? Maybe how the switch is interacting?

Please add me to the list of folks who want to purchase one of these should you make them avaiable. I want one!

Just Justin

I’m not an engineer, but something I’ve noticed in the past is that my hopper “status” can be affected by metal touching the hopper body. Because their design uses the hopper body as a power circuit, perhaps either the magnet, or some other metal component is touching the body and convincing the unit it is timed out, or is turned off or is shutting it off? Maybe how the switch is interacting?

Please add me to the list of folks who want to purchase one of these should you make them available. I want one!
I'll definitely let you know if I start selling these...I am trying to but I need to be able to make them faster and easier, so I can charge something affordable because its been quite a long project. Ive picked it up and put it down for a few years now, trying different designs, woods, processes etc and this last attempt came together in 2 days roughly, so I'm making progress. Just curious, what would you expect to pay for something like this? I have no idea $$$

Yeah, I know what your talking about...The new chargers don't always work on my GH's and I don't know why but the old version always seems to work, so maybe there's something going on...I know the body of the GH is part of the circuit and it seems like that would provide very little resistance for the current because its soo massive, compared to a wire, so maybe I've really got to ramp the wire size up or try solid copper lines/rods etc..?

nonbeliever

. Just curious, what would you expect to pay for something like this? I have no idea $$$

Yeah, I know what your talking about...The new chargers don't always work on my GH's and I don't know why but the old version always seems to work, so maybe there's something going on...I know the body of the GH is part of the circuit and it seems like that would provide very little resistance for the current because its soo massive, compared to a wire, so maybe I've really got to ramp the wire size up or try solid copper lines/rods etc..?

I’d pay $50-75 for one in a flash. I’d assume I am providing my own PFE. I’ll PayPal you the money today if you’d like :-)

Maybe send a note to Trevor over at grasshopper with a few photos and ask him about the problem you are facing. This might be an interesting challenge for them, and a welcome reprieve from the trashing I’d suspect most of what they are getting in email is right now.

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

I’d pay $50-75 for one in a flash. I’d assume I am providing my own PFE. I’ll PayPal you the money today if you’d like :-)

Maybe send a note to Trevor over at grasshopper with a few photos and ask him about the problem you are facing. This might be an interesting challenge for them, and a welcome reprieve from the trashing I’d suspect most of what they are getting in email is right now.
Nooooo! Don't you give them any ideas lol!

Not because I wouldn't want them to take your idea and manufacture it, but because they'll have a prototype up and start selling them with a July expected delivery!

I applaud their forward thinking and creativity, unfortunately a lot of great ideas don't succeed because of the way they get handled.

Most of us feel the same, we just all handle it differently, we love it when it works, is keeping it working that's the problem.

While I miss my "good" hopper, I feel awful for people that would like to use it for true medicinal reasons.

The honorable thing for them to do would at least be to stop selling them new until they have caught up with the long line of repairs and have things figured out.

kushkush

happy camper....

Asking an obvious failure of a business for help is the last thing I’d do if I were trying to manufacture a new vaporizer! :shrug:

:2c:

ominosity

Hi I’ve just got a PFE and finding it’s getting too hot for my lips within the first pull. Looking for recommendations for what kind of tubing might work as a condom for the PFE. Thanks

ominosity,

Just Justin

Hi I’ve just got a PFE and finding it’s getting too hot for my lips within the first pull. Looking for recommendations for what kind of tubing might work as a condom for the PFE. Thanks
there are many options for you to add to your PFE to make the vapor cooler and to remove your lips from the metal....I like using my Mighty/Crafty Mouthpieces that I stick in the PFE with a fatter o-ring and that does the trick or the glass version of that mouthpiece. If you have any extra drip tips or Inhalater Capsules, you can shave those down and fit them into the PFE for some cooler vapor.
dsc0003-7.jpg
dsc0002-8.jpg
dsc0001-8.jpg

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Here is a project of mine that I ve been working on, while I wait for my External GH Charger and SS Case: I showed these on vapelife but wanted to share them here to see if any one had ideas or anything...I also need some help on the second one.

one I made because I wanted to cool the vapor and also make the on/off button right side up so its easier to use. The GH is great but the vapor is too hot for an all day, everyday vape, so I made this to extend the vapor path and it does a really good job, providing super cool vapor.The other version I need some help...I made a custom mouthpiece that pulls off like the first and is snuggly held down by a GH charger magnet that I ripped out and put into the mouthpiece/cap and magnetically holds on the on/off that I took off the GH and placed next to it. I started this project because I wanted to add a "heat" button for the GH, so I could turn the vape on, select my temp with the deial and use a separate switch held down for the heat but I can't get it to work...I think my wires are too small Gauge or too long or my switch is the wrong voltage...any ideas why this won't work? I can get it to light breiefly but the heater won't stay on with the switch engaged....Hope you like these creations and I hope y'all can help with my switch problem!
Beautiful pieces! Nice work.
This is a long shot and slightly different issue, but; When I use o.e.m. chargers they can sometimes refuse to charge (light comes on briefly but turns off very soon), the solution is to unplug usb from wall adapter and re-plug, then things go smoothly from there.
Or, you may be somehow triggering the auto circuit breaker, which is what happens when a hopper, even in turned off, touches metal, esp. body to back end connection -short circuit.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Call me crazy but I just ordered an electric blue Ti :lol:

After seeing the electric blue PFE in person compared to the regular blue I haven't stopped wanting an electric blue hopper. If anyone is stuck between the two, and you actually want it to look blue in pretty much all lighting, I highly recommend you go with the electric. Regular blue looks almost gray or purple in most lighting. Blue in direct light.

Happy 4/20 everyone! :wave:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Call me crazy

You are crazy :p

Here is a project of mine that I ve been working on, while I wait for my External GH Charger and SS Case: I showed these on vapelife but wanted to share them here to see if any one had ideas or anything...I also need some help on the second one.

one I made because I wanted to cool the vapor and also make the on/off button right side up so its easier to use. The GH is great but the vapor is too hot for an all day, everyday vape, so I made this to extend the vapor path and it does a really good job, providing super cool vapor.
dsc0088-8.jpg

dsc0081-7.jpg

dsc0089-7.jpg

dsc0095-7.jpg
dsc0098-8.jpg

The other version I need some help...I made a custom mouthpiece that pulls off like the first and is snuggly held down by a GH charger magnet that I ripped out and put into the mouthpiece/cap and magnetically holds on the on/off that I took off the GH and placed next to it. I started this project because I wanted to add a "heat" button for the GH, so I could turn the vape on, select my temp with the deial and use a separate switch held down for the heat but I can't get it to work...I think my wires are too small Gauge or too long or my switch is the wrong voltage...any ideas why this won't work? I can get it to light breiefly but the heater won't stay on with the switch engaged....Hope you like these creations and I hope y'all can help with my switch problem!
dsc0106-8.jpg
dsc0107-8.jpg
dsc0108-8.jpg
dsc0110-9.jpg

Hi @Just Justin, nice looking concepts you have there. Love the mix of the metal hopper, wood body and glass stem.

I think your issue with the second concept stems from separating the backend circuitry from the circuit in the Hoppers body.

I believe there is more going on than just power delivery. I don't know exactly what is going on as HL haven't exactly been the most open company in regards to their business or design but if there is some sort of PWM signalling going on then extending the circuit may be distorting that PWM signal.

Although the below PDF covers PWM in an industrial scenario there are elements that may be of interest to you.

Minimizing Distortion and Noise in a Pulse-Width Modulated Transmission

I'm not an electronics guy so I'm mostly guessing here but thought it might throw up some ideas.

Last edited:

Sonicboom1991

You are crazy :p

Hi @Just Justin, nice looking concepts you have there. Love the mix of the metal hopper, wood body and glass stem.

I think your issue with the second concept stems from separating the backend circuitry from the circuit in the Hoppers body.

I believe there is more going on than just power delivery. I do t K ow exactly what is going on as HL haven't exactly been the most open company in regards to their business or design but if there is some sort of PWM signalling going on then extending the circuit may be distorting that PWM signal.

Although the below PDF covers PWM in an industrial scenario there are elements that may be of interest to you.

Minimizing Distortion and Noise in a Pulse-Width Modulated Transmission

I'm not an electronics guy so I'm mostly guessing here but thought it might throw up some ideas.

There was a guy who made a external 18650 pack for the grasshopper. Maybe he would be more knowledgeable about the back end? http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/external-18650-battery-pack-and-adapter-for-the-grasshopper.22612/

MikeG7265

Call me crazy but I just ordered an electric blue Ti :lol:

After seeing the electric blue PFE in person compared to the regular blue I haven't stopped wanting an electric blue hopper. If anyone is stuck between the two, and you actually want it to look blue in pretty much all lighting, I highly recommend you go with the electric. Regular blue looks almost gray or purple in most lighting. Blue in direct light.

Happy 4/20 everyone! :wave:

I did not want to hear that since I got a refund on my Electric Blue. :(

I know I have been extremely critical of Hopper Labs lately. However like @Cheesequake I bought a new Hopper anyway.

There was someone on reddit that had received a Grey TI, matching PFE, and extra batteries. They were already so disillusioned with HL that they had asked for a refund, and didn’t want to keep the Hopper. So since I had refunded my Blue I figured what the hell. Very smooth transaction. I received the Hopper yesterday and it is a new one, it’s in the mid 14,000 range serial number.

Performance: So far I’ve had less than 24 hours with it.........but holy shit!!! I don’t want to get too excited, as I’ve only had 4 sessions so far. The Heat seems to be more evenly distributed now. The taste at the temp 1&2 is amazing. I even got a nice cloudy hit on temp 2 through my water piece. The highest temp I tried without water was 4 and the PFE didn’t get very hot at all but was getting massive hits, and with no throat irritation. Even did a few hits on 5 through the water and the backend nor the body got hot at all. They were barely warm. No flickering of the blue lights during use. My battery is still strong also. I’ll report back and report how many bowls I get on the battery.

Like I said, I don’t want to get too excited, but if these hold up I believe this is what they were shooting for the whole time.

I hope everyone has an awesome 4/20 :leaf:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60

Tommybwell

I've given up on waiting for a grasshopper. I've requested a refund four times in the last two weeks without response. I would love to have one but the appalling customer service is hard to accept. I have a Fury2 that I use on the go. Not as stealthy but I actually have it and it actually works.

MikeG7265

I've given up on waiting for a grasshopper. I've requested a refund four times in the last two weeks without response. I would love to have one but the appalling customer service is hard to accept. I have a Fury2 that I use on the go. Not as stealthy but I actually have it and it actually works.

Contact PayPal. Since you’ve sent emails with no response, more than likely they will escalate it into a claim. They did this for me the other day after I had sent 3 emails in 2 weeks without any response. Within two hours the claim was as done and I was refunded. I just have to wait a bit for it to get back to my credit card.

MikeG7265

@MikeG7265 let me get this straight. You filed a claim with Paypal to get a refund because the company sucked, but then you ordered another vaporizer from that same company? :bang: On purpose? :hmm::shrug:

WTF

Yep. I never said they sucked, just my opinions and did research to give people options for recourse if they wanted.

I already had 3 Hoppers before I placed the order for my Electric Blue. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. But when it got pushed back from January to March and now to May. I just wasn’t willing to wait. As I stated someone on reddit didn’t want theirs, they were expecting a refund instead got the Hopper. I’m just as eager as anyone else to try the new version. I even stated in my post that I had been extremely critical of them lately.

It’s mostly being in the right place at the right time that I ran across someone wanting to part with a new one. And I figured the money was already spent specifically for a Hopper, so I jumped on the chance.

I’m still skeptical about it that’s why I said I didn’t want to get too excited. But as of now it’s performing flawlessly.

I even wanted to order one of the 420 T-shirts they had, but they didn’t have one big enough for my fat ass. Lol

Last edited:

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
We're all built different. It was just surprising. To be clear-did your money go to Hopper Labs or an individual? Again-it's not my business. But I was dumbfounded. Especially if any of that money found its way to HL. But again NONE of my business.

beyond6strings,
Reactions: MikeG7265

MikeG7265

We're all built different. It was just surprising. To be clear-did your money go to Hopper Labs or an individual? Again-it's not my business. But I was dumbfounded. Especially if any of that money found its way to HL. But again NONE of my business.

It went to an individual, but Hopper Labs got their money from that person. So they still got their part.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
Good call! I think that was @Joel W. and the details are in this thread:

External 18650 Battery Pack and Adapter for the GrassHopper

Definitely worth @Just Justin checking out that thread.

I have not yet figured out the mysteries of the PWM tech in the hopper and the few issues I had with different hopper ends and bodies working or not. Your link above on reducing distortion and noise in a pwm circuit transmission probably has the answer to my hopper issues. I actually picked up my hopper battery pack the other day and fired it up. I had blue lights and it was still packed and charged from few years ago. Still worked...

I just use prefilled regulator brand oil carts (pocket dabs) now.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I have not yet figured out the mysteries of the PWM tech in the hopper and the few issues I had with different hopper ends and bodies working or not.

Honestly I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Your link above on reducing distortion and noise in a pwm circuit transmission probably has the answer to my hopper issues.

The GrassHopper my look like a simple device but there is a great deal of engineering in that thing. Probably the cause of many peoples issues. I do wonder if HL's would have been better off with a digital trigger and temp buttons so that they could keep all the circuitry together next to the heater and behind the battery.

I really hope you do figure it out, I read the PDF and understand the initial descriptions of the potential causes of PWM signal degradation but it started to lose me after that.

I actually picked up my hopper battery pack the other day and fired it up. I had blue lights and it was still packed and charged from few years ago. Still worked...

Ha that's awesome, guess you didn't have to worry about the tiny batteries degrading over time ;)

I just use prefilled regulator brand oil carts (pocket dabs) now.

I read a lot of people saying similar, wish they were available here :(

Top Bottom