1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. manujoe

manujoe Well-Known Member

I was until now:lol:

2. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

Ha!

blackwater and MoltenTiger like this.
  3. nonbeliever

nonbeliever Well-Known Member

Sadly, both of my GH (titanium and ss) are now caught up in repair jail, one in March and one in April. Olivia has just suggested to me its likely a month or two before I see them back. The issue is the volume of part manufacture they can do in house (maybe the heater and or heat sensor?). It’d be nice if this delay/changes in production lead to better reliability. The ss has been solid, but the Ti unit has had its issues too frequently. I miss my daily driver....

Gregori, GreenHopper, Al.. and 2 others like this.
  4. ashinybox

ashinybox Well-Known Member

Click to play YouTube Video

TBT this time last year. Biggest hit I could capture without dying completely. Remaining hopeful. :drool:

5. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

I'm still a bit hung up on some production issue; the number that they seem to be able to build and/or repair with the new in-house processes and the idea that all the labor is going to those endeavors and so causing delay in accessories like the SS case and the battery charger.

They've been shipping for over a month now, but assuming just 30 days, 233 hoppers released into the wild is on the order of eight or ten a day. Is it really taking the concentrated effort of 'all hands on deck' to get ten hoppers out the door per day? Or conversely, if they are intentionally being slow to release in order to see if the new-process models are doing well, wouldn't that leave someone available to get on with the accessories - for which they've already been paid?

Sometimes I'm actually glad that my forced t-break has been extended for so long. I'm not experiencing any of the anxiety of having a unit in for repair, will my backup fail, etc. It's all just academic and I'm (mostly!) unattached at this point.

vapeOR, blackwater, JCat and 6 others like this.
  6. Razshiro

Razshiro Well-Known Member

Hey , after used a compressed air(for car tyre) the problem is solved, no more combustion and some GHB2's battery seem to work better now(need to test more:science:) ...

:tup::cheers:
    Thanks again !!

7. manujoe

manujoe Well-Known Member

Likewise. I'm of the mind now that if they work they work. My backups became my daily drivers so while a working hopper will always be welcome I now know I can survive without one. Progress of a kind

Easywider, blackwater, JCat and 3 others like this.
  8. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes unfiltered

My stainless steel Grasshopper developed a new issue last night. It was repaired back in October and received upgraded internals, with the white screen/blue sensor. The clicker was also changed from purely mechanical so that if the auto shutoff engages you don’t have to click it twice to turn it back on.

I loaded a fresh bowl and took a hit at temp 4, then I set the Hopper on the table beside me. A minute later I noticed out of the corner of my eye that it was still on. I figured I didn’t click it off, but wondered why the auto shutoff didn’t activate. I picked it up and the front end was very hot. When I tried turning it off nothing happened. I ended up having to take the battery out to get it to turn off.

I turned the temp dial down to 1 and put in a different battery. The Hopper seemed to be functioning fine, it turned on and off with no problem. I turned it up to temp 5 and then I couldn’t get it to turn on. I noticed as I clicked it sometimes the LEDs would change color briefly. I tried wiggling the clicker around and managed to make it functional, so I can turn it on and off every time.

It still makes me nervous using it. I’m just glad it was on a table next to me where I could see it. If I had put it in my pocket or another room it could have kept heating continuously for a very long time indeed. That could potentially lead to scary things happening with the battery. For that reason I don’t think I’ll be using it until it’s fixed, unless I can keep a constant eye on it. I don’t even feel comfortable leaving it unattended with a battery in it. Unfortunately Hopper Labs has a hefty delay for repairs right now so I don’t really want to send it in yet.

I can’t help but think this is related to the newer clicker design. I feel the old mechanical clicker design would be immune to this issue but I’m far from an expert and would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable about the subject. I’ve been using the hopper regularly since it was returned from repair, but not too heavily and I handle it gently. It was the second repair and I’ve had it for almost two years now.

9. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

My currently used hopper (#5 in 15mth!) got the same issue now after maybe 20 bowls. Pretty irritating. Time to change it again i think

Kermitt, blackwater, JCat and 4 others like this.
  10. Cheesequake

Cheesequake Well-Known Member

Replacement back end for my stainless steel is on the way. I'll report back with (hopefully good) news when it arrives Monday.

11. nonbeliever

nonbeliever Well-Known Member

this was exactly the issue that I had with my SS unit (old mechanical backend). I had to jiggle the switch end to get it to work and sporadically the back end would get painfully hot. It reach the point that the unit never went to blue lights, would stay red and then auto shutoff. I could sometimes force a blue led with jiggling, but it was only rarely. Thus, the bad grasshopper off to the lock up joint. Hopefully to be sprung soon, rejuvenated and ready to be tested heavily and heartily.

JCat, Hogni, MoltenTiger and 3 others like this.
  12. Cheesequake

Asked a long time ago if they were still planning on releasing the wall adapter and Olivia just got back to me.

I know I'll be pre ordering one as soon as they're available.

blackwater, JCat, Vapor_Eyes and 4 others like this.
  13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Note, that no year was mentioned, yeah? LOL

14. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

15. Cheesequake

We get it. You hate the Grasshopper and Hopper Labs. You don't have to remind us every 3 days.

mmenzie, kbrown5523 and Irish vaper like this.
  16. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

• Your "fanboy" comment just earned you a warning point for breaking our "be nice" rule.
    Hey spend your money like a fanboy if you like. I prefer to spend money on things that are real.

Sonicboom1991 and Vapelife13 like this.
  17. vapviking

Will this make Hopper act as a plug-in vape?
    My imagination sees something that will replace the battery and need to have a short threaded tube inserted between the body and the back end. Or will a magnetic attachment like the one the standard charger uses be able to carry that current?
    Fascinating.
    If HL takes money for this or rolls it out before the SS case or the fancy battery charger I'll just shit.

manujoe, blackwater, JCat and 4 others like this.
  18. Sonicboom1991

Sonicboom1991 Well-Known Member

I have heard talk of this accessory for a while. It really intrigues me as maybe it's possible to make the hopper more reliable if they were able to kind of start over with a new back end design?

blackwater, JCat and diddymao like this.
  19. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

You may actually have a tear in your battery skin. I had the issue with it turning itself on and I went over to hopper labs and they figured it out right away, sure enough there was a tear in the battery skin. If the metal of the battery makes contact with the metal of the device it turns makes a connection to turn it on.

20. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Sounds reasonable but mine is doing so with different bats :ugh:

21. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

:(

22. ssrrosey

ssrrosey Member

So I've been hearing different things about this. From the way they worded it in their release it seemed like the wall adapter was a separate accessory that would essentially turn the vape into a desktop as you've described. After discussing it with some other people though I'm now thinking it is just a USB-c wall plug. I think they've said something along the lines of that the charger can take advantage of USB-C to c power speeds but if you use a USB-c to normal usb (A? idk) it will be slower. I think they are charging an extra fee if you want them to provide the -c wall plug, plus if it was the upgraded cord to make the hopper a desktop I definitely think they'd be charging more. Personally I've got a -c phone and computer so I'm sticking to what I have for now

23. vapviking

Yesterday I may have been confused by @Cheesequake 's post where he's saying he may preorder the new 35 watt wall adapter when it is offered. I took off thinking this might mean it's something that would make Hopper into a plug-in vape. But after your post and reviewing my memory banks, I'm thinking this might simply be the optional wall adapter that would (using the usb-c capability) make the upcoming fancy SS 3-battery charger into a "high speed" charger. I don't recall anything from HL actually saying they'd be making Hopper into a plug-in in the near future.

https://www.grasshoppervape.com/store/product/external-battery-charger/

This charger's arrival date has been revised to "June '18". This aligns with what Olivia told @Cheesequake.
    It's description says;
    "Includes:
    1 Grasshopper Battery Charger, 1 Cable (Choose either Type-C to Type-C or Type-C to USB)"

24. Sargus

Sargus New Member

sent mine back for repair Nov. 2016

no reply no communication except generic messages
    noticed Christmas sale so still selling
    no response on status
    would not recommend this product, poor support unreliable product

manujoe, ronads, Kermitt and 3 others like this.
  25. MikeG7265

MikeG7265 Well-Known Member

And isn’t it nice that they decided to have ANOTHER sale for 4/20. But can’t get out the products from the prior two sales.

About time to contact Colorado Attorney General and have this shit investigated. It needs to be stopped!!! :bang::bang:

manujoe, ronads, Kermitt and 9 others like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors