1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

In June 2015 was the first day there was a post about the GH on this particular thread. Before that people were talking about the GH on another thread the unreleased portable vaporizer thread. The go to funding started three years before that. That’s a loooong time. Now they think they have it figured out. I hope they finally have it figured out. I don’t think as a company they can continue to go on like this indefinitely. The lifetime warranty could be lethal to the company.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. Cheesequake

Cheesequake Well-Known Member

At this point NOT having a lifetime warranty would be lethal to the company. How many people do you think are going to buy a grasshopper knowing what we know now if the warranty isn't spectacular?

3. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

I agree they wouldn’t sell many GHs without a lifetime warranty. The Lifetime warranty could break the company if they don’t get the mechanics right though. The company would have to fold. Which would be a lose, lose for everyone.

Vapor_Eyes, JCat, ElPic and 5 others like this.
  4. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll take your word for it, it's just parsing words. The terms 'made in', 'assembled in' and 'manufactured in' can all be seen as a matter of degree in this shrinking world.

Henry Ford, now, there was a guy who vertically integrated his processes. But things generally aren't like that anymore.

For example, all of my grand parents and forbears were from Sweden; my parents and their children (including me) were all born in the U.S. I have a novelty pin that reads "Made in U.S.A. with 100% Swedish Parts". Not gonna go into the 'details' of the process... :lol:

:peace:

vapeOR, blackwater, JCat and 7 others like this.
  5. kbrown5523

kbrown5523 Hopping in Washington

Is there some reason to think that they're making anything more than the one component that they said they're now making in-house? I'm confused.

"Dissatisfied and disappointed by the manufacturer's performance, Hopper Labs has since independently identified the problematic component and replaced the existing outsourced parts by implementing relevant manufacturing processes directly in our Boulder headquarters."

beyond6strings and AtomicPB like this.
  6. seaofgreens

seaofgreens My Mind Is Free

Well it does say right in your quote that they replaced existing outsourced parts with their own manufacturing...

I believe this would be where you could interpret things to mean that not just one part, but all existing outsourced parts were moved in house.

Cheesequake likes this.
  7. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

The fact is we have absolutely no idea what they have done, specifically and in some detail, different than before and this is consistent with their broad brush, often somewhat vague, occasional communications to their customer base.

short version: who the fuck knows? :bang:

If they had any sense of responsibility to their LONG suffering customer base, they would communicate to their customers in a forum/manner that allowed for Q&A instead of these air brushed occasional spin job emails.

Just my view.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  8. kushkush

kushkush Well-Known Member

It’s like whoever is in charge doesn’t know what he’s doing. And hasn’t for a very long time.

Mr. Gweilo 420 likes this.
  9. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

Yet some people seem to buy into their marketing bullshit. I dont get it.

Sonicboom1991 and kushkush like this.
  10. kushkush

kushkush Well-Known Member

I think they buy into it because the GH is a very nice-looking and very small vaporizer....problem is it’s just not dependable. And saying that’s disappointing is an understatement. If only they had made the GH work right before selling it...but really, why have they not figured that out by this time is still a great mystery. And it’s the reason I find the vapcap superior to any battery-operated vaporizer.

11. kbrown5523

kbrown5523 Hopping in Washington

The parts for the component that was identified as being the problem. For me that doesn't denote anything but what it says. I didn't want to copy and paste the whole email, but they did say they identified the problem component, that they couldn't get that manufacturer to fix what they needed to be fixed so they opted to manufacture the necessary parts to make that problem component in house. It seems 100% clear to me, but that's just me.

Sonicboom1991, JCat and guyonthecouch like this.
  12. seaofgreens

seaofgreens My Mind Is Free

I regret saying anything.

blackwater likes this.
  13. blackwater

blackwater Member

This. I have the perfect sitcom in my head that is hopper labs but by no means is it true. I love the device and it emplors me to love the ride that is this rollercoaster! Thanks to my imagination and this thread I see a path to a successful hopppa.

JCat likes this.
  14. bags

bags Well-Known Member

My hopper goes straight to blue lights and does not heat up. I initiated my third warranty claim over 3 weeks ago and it still has not been approved. They are really drawing out the process. If I do send it back in, I'm not confident I'll ever see it again.

15. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Everything they ever say sounds like it's coming out of a fucking robot spokesperson programmed with OEM crapspeak. Corporate pablum. Like they're talking to disdainful investors who obviously have no technical aptitude.

What he said.

16. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

Hopper Labs should independently identify the problematic PR writer and replace the existing outsourced words by implementing relevant communications processes directly in their Boulder headquarters.

Then again, Joe, maybe they are talking to disdainful investors who obviously have no technical aptitude!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  17. btka

btka Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with instant blue leds... opened warrant aat hopperlabs and they suggested to blow compressed air into the oven and airintakes... I went to a gas station and used their wheel pump (compressed air) and it solved the problem... as far as I understood there is debris on the temp sensor which you can blow away with compressed air...

18. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

LOL! ...and that could very well be, Vap!

19. Vapetrees

Vapetrees Vaped Out

Did this to my Purple Ti as well since it was doing the same thing, it wa a brought back to life as well.

20. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

My housemates hopper is doing the straight to blue, I might fish it out today and try and clean it.

Everytime I combust with the VapCap I get a little less patient lol.

Edit: alright, went to an electronics supply store and got IPA and canned air.
    So far the canned air trick hasn't worked, though it does a decent job of cleaning under the screen from what I can see. I'm not really sure about it. I forgot to get tweezers to remove the screen.. but I’m not sure I'll bother with it anymore. Looks like it'll have to be returned, and that's going to be a timely process for sure

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  21. manujoe

manujoe Well-Known Member

Try what btka did

22. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

You reckon an air compressor would do a better job? I think it's possible.. The canned air was fairly decent, R134A gas (haloalkane refrigerant), blasted out the intake holes at a good rate.
    I wonder if the back end is stuffed, the serial section around the button is raised above the titanium ring/notches. My blue one did this and it died around when I noticed it too...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    blackwater, Vapor_Eyes and manujoe like this.
  23. manujoe

My canned is shit so I tried tyre Air and it worked for a while then died.

Olivia shipped my 2 hoppers last Friday and she told me that they were the 230th and 233rd hoppers she has sent since they started shipping. That includes warranties and new orders. 1 RMA that Hopper labs received on November 21st and new Blue titanium ordered on 1st March

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  24. manujoe

Would a stuffed backend cause it to go straight to blue?

25. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

Are we still talking about hoppers? :cool:

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors