Discontinued The Grasshopper

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Soooo at thread 795 it started out :worms: and then it ended up ?
f615bf_988e1600d1004f269b097bbb3f941fe5~mv2.gif

because people got full refunds ? ... I am sick at home with a pretty nasty cold and my understanding of the written word is lackluster right now so someone please explain what has been happening

snaffle

Soooo at thread 795 it started out :worms: and then it ended up ?
f615bf_988e1600d1004f269b097bbb3f941fe5~mv2.gif

because people got full refunds ? ... I am sick at home with a pretty nasty cold and my understanding of the written word is lackluster right now so someone please explain what has been happening

Sorry you're sick, rest up @Hjalmark! The gist is that PIU started selling a few Grasshoppers recently, which were believed to be the first of the new stock since the HL retooling. One of the 8 sent out wasn't working properly, and then PIU said that they probably weren't from the new batch after all, and offered refunds to those people (while letting them keep their hoppers). So they'll be happy.

Other than that, people are anxiously awaiting their new and repaired hoppers being returned, which looks like it should happen soon. And then we get to see how the reliability and performance have changed. Which will be exciting.

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
I have to say that this is a fun thread to mostly lurk on. When I first started vaping last fall the Grasshopper was one of the vapes I looked at getting. And then I followed the FC thread.

Wow. I have to say that it must be an amazing vape when it works because how else do you explain the mostly positive outlook y'all seem to have? That positive outlook seems to be everywhere here on FC, but I'm really impressed with how Zen y'all are being about HL's modus operandi. There's something to be learned for me here.

TheWhisper

I have to say that this is a fun thread to mostly lurk on. When I first started vaping last fall the Grasshopper was one of the vapes I looked at getting. And then I followed the FC thread.

Wow. I have to say that it must be an amazing vape when it works because how else do you explain the mostly positive outlook y'all seem to have? That positive outlook seems to be everywhere here on FC, but I'm really impressed with how Zen y'all are being about HL's modus operandi. There's something to be learned for me here.

When it works, it's one of the best.

MikeG7265

To me it’s just become a comedy of errors. But like above poster said, when it works it is amazing. I mostly use mine with a water pipe.

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
I do think that its because this vape is such a uniquely awesome vaping experience that passions run so high when it breaks. I'm not saying that the failure rate isn't what it is, I am saying that I can compare apples to apples as I seem to have pretty bad luck with vapes, (with the obvious exception being very lucky to happen to live down the street from where my favorite device is made!).

To date, I've never had a vape that I didn't have to RMA at least once, granted I tend to be an early adopter. The most recent is the puffco peak, first of all ...GET ONE NOW! if you like concentrates, but anyway the first unit I got had a malfunction, no big deal, they were super reasonable about it, I sent it back, they sent me a new one. I was glad when I got the new one, but similar to my Davinci IQ, Pax 2, Firefly 1 and 2, sending it back wasn't a big deal and I didn't particularly miss it when its gone.

The Grasshopper on the other hand, it's become such an ingrained part of my life that I've literally been trying a prototype that I knew would very likely break and be off somewhere and would stop what I was doing to try to catch Hopper labs before they closed cus the thought of being hopperless even overnight is a lot.

Its not to excuse the failure rate but as Tim Cook remarked about iPad vs. other tablets with respect to upgrading the OS but the analogy I think holds, no one cares about an OS upgrade on the other devices because folks stopped using them long ago, similarly, pre-grasshopper, if my pax broke or even if it wasn't smoking was a viable alternative, now with a grasshopper, even an IQ isn't a truly acceptable substitute!

The GH is really a great device and so far the v1.2 has been very reliable, I've been using it for almost a month I think ...

Jayd0g420

I just wanted to update you guys. My GH is so amazing. I now know why people buy more than one. I’ll cry when I need send it in for any service. It’s that awesome. It acts like a Mighty with 5 sec heat up.

So I’ve been thinking about the combustion problem. GH has under their Tips that a hit should be 15 to 20 sec. if you are hitting with water you usually take bigger/longer hits than that. So the little micro controls for temp can’t regulate much with a longer pull, plus there is a lot of left over heat when switched off. I can’t get it to combust if I follow those guidelines.

I know other people in the past didn’t have a combustion issue with longer pulls. But maybe the temps were lower in general.

Maybe they will make a better temp controller with time. But I know how to use it without having any problems now that I have experimented with it. I sure hope other people are getting tgeir new units and all the units that need to be serviced.

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
I just wanted to update you guys. My GH is so amazing. I now know why people buy more than one. I’ll cry when I need send it in for any service. It’s that awesome. It acts like a Mighty with 5 sec heat up.

So I’ve been thinking about the combustion problem. GH has under their Tips that a hit should be 15 to 20 sec. if you are hitting with water you usually take bigger/longer hits than that. So the little micro controls for temp can’t regulate much with a longer pull, plus there is a lot of left over heat when switched off. I can’t get it to combust if I follow those guidelines.

I know other people in the past didn’t have a combustion issue with longer pulls. But maybe the temps were lower in general.

Maybe they will make a better temp controller with time. But I know how to use it without having any problems now that I have experimented with it. I sure hope other people are getting tgeir new units and all the units that need to be serviced.
I think my combustion problem is different then others are experiencing, when my combusts it's like it incinerates the material in a microsecond. It's kind of scary. But when mine started doing that, it would do it at any temp setting. 5 might work normal on one hit and the next one it would just incinerate the whole load instantly. Same thing when I would turn the temp down. Has anyone else experienced that?

vapviking

Old & In the Way

My opinion is still that a Hopper should never combust. The little micro controls should just shut off the heater before that happens.

HL also encourage folks to rip as hard as they like. "Hopper can keep up!"
It's not "Hit til it burns!"

It's good that you can control this, but I sure hope it's an issue that is resolved with Hopper v1.2. We understand that your new unit is probably not a 1.2, but that's okay; eventually some part of it will fail and you can get updated -- maybe simply based on a complaint that "it combusts!"

Another 'tip', though it's not about preventing combustion, is to click Hopper off a few seconds before the end of your draw. This will clear the last of the available vapor, hasten the cool down process of the whole unit and maybe even help keep the internals cleaner (Grasshopper's Achille's Heel).

Last edited:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask

You have a malfunctioning unit. Sorry. It should never combust no matter how long you pull. I've had at least 4 (not including warranty replacements) hoppers over the years and never once have I combusted on max temp pulling for 30+ seconds. If anything had changed with the devices capabilities good or bad I'm sure hopper labs would've let it be known that the unit can now combust. That's kind of a big deal.

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I’m hoping that my hopper that was fixed in October recieved some of the new upgrades. Again anyone that gets their’s fixed units back, I want to see the area where the battery sits - if you can get a picture. When I got my GH back it had all metal pieces in the the area where the battery sits. Before it had the white plastic with blue edged.

I haven’t had any problems with my GH but I don’t use it all the time.

Last edited:

ssrrosey

I’m hoping that my hopper that was fixed in October recieved some of the new upgrades. Again anyone that gets their’s fixed units back, I want to see the area where the battery sits - if you can get a picture. When I got my GH back it had all metal pieces in the the area where the battery sits. Before it had the white plastic with blue edged.

I haven’t had any problems with my GH but I don’t use it all the time.
I'm a little confused, as far as I'm aware the battery contact was always metal and sitting on top a circuit board.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I'm a little confused, as far as I'm aware the battery contact was always metal and sitting on top a circuit board.
There probably was metal for the battery contact in my GH that was fixed but it had plastic and some blue color edged under the area where the battery sat. When I got it back it looked like all metal. I’m not sure but I had thought I recieved a new hopper.

This is what the fixed hopper inside looked like. This is where the battery sits. The others hopper that I sent in had white and some blue where you see the black. I don’t remember the halo copper around where the battery contacts either.

oMwBzjL.jpg

Last edited:

JoeMama

I think my combustion problem is different then others are experiencing, when my combusts it's like it incinerates the material in a microsecond. It's kind of scary. But when mine started doing that, it would do it at any temp setting. 5 might work normal on one hit and the next one it would just incinerate the whole load instantly. Same thing when I would turn the temp down. Has anyone else experienced that?

I don't experience any combustion, but, for the longest time now, I routinely have to consider my first draw a "primer" draw because it's generally a weak hit. I click off for a second, and click back on... then i can rip it. But T5 is the only temperature that I can get a satisfying result from. I really hope this is something that isn't necessary anymore with the new rev.

A fraction of you may not share this sentiment with the delays and whatnot

I don't know why this really irks me.

Me too... spoken like a politician trying to minimalize his opposition.

Baron23

it had plastic and some blue color edged under the area where the battery sat.

That's a circuit board with surface mounted components and I believe it has changed at least one (blue to white or vice versa) and may be changed again when they resume shipment of the latest configuration.

I'm pretty sure all GH have (or had) that coating...gold film I think...over the battery contact.

Top Bottom