1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Whilst you make good points, and probably made the better product decision for yourself.
    Personally I focus on the hardware, and not the business. The business is just the structure that offers the product.

The Dynavap is turned metal. The Milaana is an unregulated direct drive electric device powered by an off-shelf 18650, large components, wooden enclosure and their awesome turbulator heater.

The GH is all custom with brand new production tech, but keyly it's a regulated device using PWM to communicate with itself. It has over 100 parts, which has grown from 67 to 80 to now 100+.
    There's simply a lot that can go wrong with it, it's insanely hard to mass produce the things. Especially when compared with much more basic designs.
    HLs customer response has been decent enough, beyond decent for me personally, they're just not being clear with the fine details of what they're doing. Which is fair, because apparently it's proprietary, and these kind of procedures are complex and prone to time blow-outs. The current events are In fact what you've recommended them, to halt in-house production to try and get the 100+ parts working together better. They're happy with their product, I'm happy with it too. It just needs better QC and QA, which they've slowly been adding, and things have slowly gotten much better. More time is needed, but it's worth the wait for the state of the art product. Business tactics are solely an economic limitation, and all things considered they've done well to keep at it. Their so called blunders have been an atrempt to maintain that too, what people are titling as lies are merely overly optimistic estimates. Beyond that, what they deliver is pretty cool and a good time to own.

Apparently shipping starts the end of this week, which seems like less of an estimate and about due time at this point.

In terms of company comparison that's actually relative, there was one other crowd funded vape that made similar leeway with their campaign. I thought they'd died, but their latest update seems like they're where HL were in 2014..
    Though it was from Dec 17 and the final word was expect an epic update Jan 17, which didn't happen. Quite similar.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/loto-lux-1st-smart-vaporizer-powered-by-induction#/updates/all

Humble beginnings are a big limitation, and maybe RBT and Dynavap did well to focus on simplicity considering.

The MV1 did not have humble beginnings, and their blunders are kind of slack because of that. Not to mention it's design is far from ideal. The GH is quite ideal as an ultra portable powerhouse. So far it's in a league of its own, still, after a few years of that being the most desirable vape product.
    No one has really managed anything that similar.

2. Cheesequake

Cheesequake Convection Enthusiast

My hopper is magically working again. I tried blowing it out and it didn't seem to do anything. Was sitting here just screwing and unscrewing things, replacing batteries, and finally I twisted the clicker. It worked after that. Probably just a coincidence but I'm not moving the clicker just in case if I can help it. It's actually working better than it's ever worked right now I think :lol:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 4:08 AM
  3. MoltenTiger

Counter or clockwise?

4. Hammahead

Hammahead Well-Known Member

thanks a lot @MoltenTiger for this encouraging prep talk and for analyzing the unique position the HopperLabs are in.

That combination of High Tech and basically a Mom & Pop setup (with Mom and Pop happening to be highly skilled engineers) makes them extremely vulnerable when the sh!t hits the fan. I'm not happier with their communication policy than anyone, but with a highly proprietary and complex product in an extremely competitive market this is probably what you can expect.

In other words: I choose to grin and bear it and when that thing is working, there's nothing like it. In terms of efficacy it's only matched by butane vapes and in my book, that's the opposite of chill. Also I'm quite the butterfinger, and for ten times I use my Sticky Brick, i get burnt at least once. My Hopper only hurts me emotionally ;) and I guess I learned to get along with that.

5. guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch Well-Known Member

can always count on @MoltenTiger to act as the voice of reason! I see ya over on reddit educating da yuth as well :whip:

6. shaolinmilk

shaolinmilk Well-Known Member

Is there a noticeable difference when using the PFE and the normal front end as a WPA? There's too much resistance when using the normal Front End as a WPA for me.

JCat, MoltenTiger and Hjalmark like this.
  7. guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a more open draw with the PFE. By resistance I'm assuming you're referring to draw restriction. The PFE is a must have for glass users.

8. Hammahead

Hammahead Well-Known Member

What @guyonthecouch said. I found the PFE to be a game changer on glass pieces and even used it exclusively without glass. Found it easier to clean than the regular mouthpiece as well. Still find it a tiny little bit paltry that you don't have the option to buy it with the PFE as default mouthpiece.

9. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

Talking about redesigns and workarounds but has the Loto-lux not doubled in size since early photos of the prototype ? :D

and was hopper not the Cern vape or something that used a 18650 ? and now has gotten much smaller :p

weird but obviously the most futuristic of all vapes is still the Hopper

we are all meta Tesla car owners

10. TheWhisper

TheWhisper Well-Known Member

Source?

MoltenTiger likes this.
  11. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

meh I don't see how a product with such a dismal failure rate can be considered to be in a league of its own. A league of shit perhaps.

hillbill, MoltenTiger and Shrike like this.
  12. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

I’ve seen posts on Reddit from people posting a response from Olivia stating just that.

13. Cheesequake

Cheesequake Convection Enthusiast

Because when it works there's nothing that comes close to its size/performance. You wouldn't drive the fastest car in the world as your daily driver, because more than likely some things would go wrong.

I'm not excusing hopper labs in any way. It sucks that failures are so high and so far they haven't done anything real to fix them. I'm way past the "give them slack they're a small startup" stance, and I've moved on to the "it works so good I can deal with the problems even though hopper labs sucks" stance.

14. Mr. Gweilo 420

Mr. Gweilo 420 Dude

Oh when it works ... bit of a sticking point for me.

Baron23, beyond6strings and Shrike like this.
  15. MoltenTiger

Well until there's something similar to buy, it'll remain in its own little vaping niche.
    Too bad for those of us who want a device like it, I guess. But it's pretty easy to like, and until there's a perfect alternative, I'm happy with my units in the queue and with my housemates available, and with a sub and dynavap the wait is entirely a non-event. Its really not hard to continue enjoying cannabis, staying up to date with the company whose dispenser I prefer. I can just look forward to getting mine back, I'm in a new city with shittier traffic so :brow: it'll be nice to have such a portable pen. Other than that, I'm well set for getting high as balls. I'd imagine anyone could be, so all the complaints about an unreliable mid-priced vape are kind of petty. I get the frustration over expectations vs. reality, but I get irrate over other real things and find it easy to deal with a little vape pen. But I still want the vape pen because it ticks boxes. Perhaps your check list isn't what this device was aimed at, because for me every portable vape is shitty in some major way. At least with the hopper it's always been rectified at minimal cost, the design and dynamic is what I choose over everything else. When that's the case, it's pretty easy to seem like a zealot, because there is literally nothing else to get excited about and won't be for a longer while than what HL have mustered.

The RBT Splinter is the next best thing, everything else is already tired IMO.

@TheWhisper
    [​IMG]
    It's nearly 4:20 boys!!

Sooner or later that is, I just want the quality every non-tech head seems to think is so simple that an 18650 would fix the problems.

16. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

What do you think - an announcement for the Grasshopper 2? Improved processes, 1% defect rate, RMA are all replacements instead of repairs, no more scratches.... or perhaps they will name it, the ZEN PEN!

Looking forward to that oil front end..... one day.....

17. armani

armani Well-Known Member

Anyone have any pictures of the "Hopper Steel Case" facing inside, only pictures i could find is all angles besides showing the inside. :\

MoltenTiger, Sonicboom1991 and Hogni like this.
  18. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

Hey don't be talking shit about the magical "inner circuitry" of the 18650!!

Also if that was pointed at me :)
    I always wanted larger components not the 18650!

Even though its obviously magic voodoo shit the 18650 cell

MoltenTiger and Sonicboom1991 like this.
  19. jerseydvd

jerseydvd Well-Known Member

Well, so far after my initial warranty claim and their response, I've tried to make contact 3 times with no response.
    Glad I paid for the warranty transfer.

Wonder if I'll ever even get to TRY as grasshopper, or just look at the one sitting here never used.

Sonicboom1991 likes this.
  20. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

I want a GH Atomizer....

21. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

I'd love a GH atomizer. Would be awesome with a side by side mod.

Maybe an easier endeavour and therefore more likely would be an AC power cord that delivers a constant 4.2 voltage so you can always get the best out of their heater when at home. Like running on a brand new full battery all the time.

Also an oils front end would be good.

I'm gonna have to send off one of my hoppers. I lent it to a friend while his was out on RMA but apparently it's failing, it lasted over a year.

22. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

YES! And they said they were working on that too... maybe that will be part of GRASSHOPPER 2.0!! :popcorn:

23. GreenHopper

I so hope this latest shake up works for them.

There is so much they could do if they can manage to lower the RMA's and focus on R&D.

MoltenTiger, JCat and biohacker like this.
  24. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

I don't want to say too much because I don't actually know specifics, but I can say I was at Hopper Labs yesterday, I stopped in getting lunch at the food truck park and they are very close to being done with the upgrades they are doing and its going to have been worth the wait, the wait will be over soon, how soon? That I don't know but soon for sure.

25. GreenHopper

Sounds like good progress.

What did you get from the food truck?

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors