1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. JJ420

JJ420 chillin on the couch, sippin off a 22 ounce.

Haven't taken a peek inside this thread in quite a while. Wow... Same old runaround with Hopper Labs it looks like. That company is a disaster. I am truly surprised they're still in business!

And to those who are on their 5th, 6th, 7th, or whatever return with these guys, let it go and move on to another vape. The blind faith by the "Hopperheads" is solely what keeps that joke of a company around.

Stop it please, lol!

Grepper and Mr.Sifter like this.
  2. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Perhaps some pics? Here the hopper goes with some nice items from @Ratchett - highly recommended!

Universal adapter from Delta3Studios

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Customized leather sleeve

[​IMG]

Here is a custom made straight double battery sleeve with an internal divider - thanks Ratchett!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Vapor_Eyes, Hjalmark, slcbdco and 7 others like this.
  3. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

It’s not that expensive sending our units from the U.S for postage back to Hopper Labs. I feel sorry for the folks living outside America who have to pay huuuuge amounts for shipping. They need their shipping covered or they need a reimbursement IMO. We have some very tenacious and serious vape owners. You have more patience than I have.

JJ420, Vapor_Eyes, ssrrosey and 6 others like this.
  4. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Not much has changed in that there's been a constant time blow-out for them to do whatever it is they're doing. No one is forcing anyone to wait it out, there's nothing similar to opt for instead, so moving on is kind of a moot statement when it's a small hassle to have to service the things if you already own one, as everyone here pretty-well does or should. It's pretty clear blind faith has little to do with their success, whatever you mean by that, it's solely the fact that their product is so desirable, and actually really decent that has kept them building them...

You can't just fail to acknowledge the fact that people on their umpteenth services, or whatever figure some have managed, are actually there because they keep using the things. That's a fair choice, if there was something else with the same features, maybe people would buy it. Until then, hopperlife is what it is. If you find the company a joke, why do you read up on them? They're still just a small team still building just a dry herb vaporizer, one which makes most of your impressive vape list redundant, when it's working. And you might as well realise these latest updates have been long awaited to make that the case. So perhaps stop with the blind pessimism?

5. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Got offered a nearly unused GH Ti darkgrey - the only coloured one I like and intended to buy as a backup.
    Should I buy it in this unsecure times?

Hjalmark, MoltenTiger and Mr. Me2 like this.
  6. johnnyCanuck

johnnyCanuck Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t. As Molten Tiger alluded to in an earlier post, it could be the combination of old/new parts/electronics during the RMA process that has ppl sending their units back time after time. I only say this as I’m confident you have other decent vapes that can be used as back ups while your OG GH is in the warranty cue. ;)

Let’s see how much of an improvement on reliability once the new set up in the Lab happens first.

... or if your VAS is still strong, just buy it!! I’m all about satisfying and feeding into anything that makes a person happier!!

JJ420, Vapor_Eyes, Carlos8400 and 2 others like this.
  7. david8613

david8613 Well-Known Member

Love the concept, and reviews. Always wanted one but all the problems scares me away. I am currently using a Davinci iq with zero problems. I wish the grasshopper was more dependable I would buy one in a second... I do want a convection unit and would be perfect love the stealth factor.

Slagzord and MoltenTiger like this.
  8. johnnyCanuck

johnnyCanuck Well-Known Member

If you live in the US and don’t think Hopper Labs will suddenly disappear, why don’t you just get one. You will already have the IQ as a dependable backup if the GH needs to be sent In for repair.

My opinion changes if you live outside of the US

9. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the price. Plus I'd want to know if it was ever RMAd. And of course you need the box too. Remember that you need to pay ghl $45 to transfer the warranty to you (I think that's how it works).

But if it's a good deal, I'd say to go for it. I STILL love my gh!

Vapor_Eyes, Hjalmark, slcbdco and 3 others like this.
  10. manujoe

manujoe Well-Known Member

I also have an iq. Great device. Also a crafty. Cracking device. The grasshopper fills a niche no other device can. I hate being without a working one and bought an omnivap as cover.

11. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Hahaha -Oh them's blues alright, dig it.

SSDD here as well.... other than the earth shifting under our feet (he that hath ears let him hear), nothing surprises me anymore.

That's true; the Hopper seems to require a tech-touch to use properly. I just finished loaning my spare Ti to a friend who'd never vaped. He kept it for a month. It came back working very weird. It takes 10 seconds to heat, it doesn't heat up well except on T5, and even then requires a second-click to get it going. Throughout the month when we'd speak I'd have to refine and "nuance" the instructions to use it right. .... Yeah, it's a techy vaporizer.

The FW4 is very simple and works just one way. It takes a gentle slower-than-slow draw, but that's it's only requirement. The rest just happens as it should.

It's the cabin fever, too... The holidays are over *yay!*, and I can get out of the house more...

Stay warm!

Vapor_Eyes, Hjalmark and MoltenTiger like this.
  12. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

That's pretty much what was going on with mine after a friend tried to use it and kept giving it these "half-clicks that would clearly confuse the hopper. I *think* that it ended up going back to the lab - this was quite a while ago, now - and has been fine since. But I don't let anyone else use it anymore.

Alrighty then, I'm gonna unwatch this thread again. I'll be back the next time something momentous comes out of the lab.

13. JoeMama

Be well! I as well will be going dark for as long as it takes to get my hoppers back to leave commentary then....

Vapor_Eyes and MoltenTiger like this.
  14. MoltenTiger

Will see both you dudes in a month or two to share some opinions on the fresh robustness...

In the mean time I think that's pretty good advice. I'll definitely be taking an objective look at my hoppers and noting their performance when they finally get here. I'm probably a month behind in the queue though. But it should be noticeable if they have improved on their processors, my last two services were a bit lacklustre with a couple of tiny marks added to one unit and limited performance from the other, although a quick heat up time (which only lasted a couple of months before taking 10+ seconds, which deteriated to 30+ then red flashing lights).
    This time around I expect the devices to be working like when I first got them. Clearly there's been lots of hardware issues, and perhaps they're still in the midst of figuring it out, but whilst fiddly, hardware can be fixed. And when it is fixed, there won't be many downsides to owning one. As it is, the worst thing about them is how irate people get when they stop working as they basically rely on it and aren't interested in the competition. Without considering that a nuisance, there's hardly a downside. But the next few months will be pivotal for HL and our hoppers.

tr33sPlease, Vapor_Eyes, JCat and 6 others like this.
  15. TheWhisper

TheWhisper Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I've been a ghost on this thread for a long time — because my Hopper (original Indiegogo-backed one) had been working without any flaws for over a year (EDIT: looks like since June 2016)! Unfortunately, I dropped it at a concert in NY just before the new year and lost it (anyone on here find it? I'll pay a finder's fee! ;) ).

I did the sensible thing and immediately ordered a brand new one (while it was still 15% off). While waiting for it to ship — they listed a 2-week processing period —, I've been using my other vapes. While some of them surpass some parts of the Hopper, none of them can match it overall. I'm craving my Hopper!

From skimming the last page of this thread, it look like Hopper Labs still hasn't managed to work out the kinks in the Hoppers or their QA? I'll admit that I was a lucky one to have had minimal issues with my Hopper (I attribute this to never charging with their charger and never turning the temp dial with a battery inside).

Can anyone give me a quick primer on what current issues with Hopper Labs or new Hoppers are?

PS seriously, if anyone on FC found my hopper, I will pay a finder's fee! :D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  16. manujoe

Why do you not turn the temperature dial while a battery is inside?

17. TheWhisper

TheWhisper Well-Known Member

Apologies for the double post, but I've received a response from Caroline to my order status inquiry. Here is a snippet:

I feel like I'm back in 2015 again! 3 years younger in a single day, baby!

Time to go check the Indiegogo status page... ;)

EDIT:
    I believe that rotating the temperature dial also can rotate the plate that sits on the battery, so I figure the less wear-and-tear on that, the better. Also, this keeps me from changing the temperature while the device is on, which also causes less wear-and-tear and fewer on-the-fly adjustments in the controller. Nothing concrete, but it worked for me (or seemed to).

EDIT2: I also tried to avoid changing temperature at all. I pretty much always kept it at the same temperature, except for a few unusual circumstances where I would change it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    JJ420, Vapetrees, Vapor_Eyes and 4 others like this.
  18. manujoe

Thanks man! Anything is worth a shot. I received a new one today purchased from vaposhop.com. So far so good. I does however confirm that I will have to send the older one in when hopper labs gets their shit in order as it's performance is crap compared to my new one

19. CaptVapor

CaptVapor Well-Known Member

Black Friday order here, I think I'd be more pissed off but every time I check my order status/come to FC to look for an update I also hit my Zion and then suddenly everything's ok! ;)

20. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

I pay around 8 bucks in shipping from Sweden to hopper labs

not that terrible at least not for me

21. JoeMama

Whisper that brought a smirk to my face, thanks :D
    I was thinking as well, how the more things change, the more they stay the same.

@manujoe .... As @TheWhisper says, turning the temp dial can impart motion to the battery (or at the very least, turn the backplate against the negative terminal of the battery). I believe it is both.

For my part, I see no reason one cannot turn the temp dial if one is simply doing a micro-adjustment. It's wanging the thing back and forth that isn't a good idea. That practice used to be a "fix" in the beginning days of hopper use discussions here, until the wear on the contacts was offered as a reason to abandon that practice. Nonetheless, I believe simply re-adjustments of Temperature during operation won't be a problem. :2c:

22. Hoey420

Hoey420 Well-Known Member

Hi hoppered heads!

Just a report on my hoppers, no problem with with my ti hopper cos it's a backup for the ss.

Last Saturday, ss hopper went red then off after clicks, I soaked the mp and cleaned up the chamber getting it ready to send it back for RMA (open ticket for Rma since August 17) but then I swapped the button on the ti no go but i no that the ss button is ok just the ss body is no good.
    I used compress air on the battery chamber ( 1st time blow it through batts chamber) the ss hoppers revived! :) and its back in the testing.

The hoppers are still sweet to me :)

Hoey :peace:

Vapor_Eyes, slcbdco, Hjalmark and 3 others like this.
  23. MoltenTiger

What technique did you use to air-blast the battery chamber?
    Can of air? Compressor? Did you seal/plug it in, or just spray into it?

Pretty cool that worked for you. Keeping these things clean, as HL say, is the best bet for keeping the things working.
    I rarely cleaned mine, and they often broke down. Pretty common I bet. I might pick up a can of air once I get my hoppers back to see if that makes cleaning easier

Vapor_Eyes, Hjalmark and GreenHopper like this.
  24. Hoey420

Hoey420 Well-Known Member

Just spray into it with air compressor.

Hoey :peace:

Vapor_Eyes, Hjalmark and MoltenTiger like this.
  25. Hammahead

Hammahead Well-Known Member

My new Hopper went into the red to off state in about 7 weeks. Wotta bummer. Uncertain waiting times are another thing I didn't want to read about. Like the autoreply telling me to expect 3-7 business day for them to merely reply. Why is this thing so great when it's working? I'd love to be able to say: never again.

Vapor_Eyes and Hjalmark like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors