1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

They are supposed to but sometimes overworked

They forget to send it to me like every single time but then they have also shipped longed before I finally ask

MoltenTiger and CaptVapor like this.
  2. Vapetrees

Vapetrees Vaped Out

It would go straight to blue and not heat up. It happened twice since I’ve had it. However, once I gave it a really good cleaning the second time I haven’t had issues with it.

MoltenTiger and Hjalmark like this.
  3. splitz

splitz Well-Known Member

I'm done with this vape. I purchased and started using the PFE in June of this year. They claim it has nothing to do with my multiple failures.

[​IMG]

If there is anyone in Canada who wants to cover shipping, you are welcome to my hopper/PFE...hmu

4. CaptVapor

CaptVapor Well-Known Member

Just to follow-up, I emailed HL and they said production is on halt as they are focusing on new quality control measures and bringing certain parts of manufacturing in-house. Sounds like they are aware of the failure rate and are working on a solution.

5. Shieldsab

Shieldsab Well-Known Member

This past weekend, I put an order in for 3 new batteries as I'm down to one good one, and the super special whizbang hopper charger, since having a job lets me do that. I suspect this battery is going to have to hold out for a while since I don't mind it all shipping at once. But whenever it gets here I, like others I'm sure, will post impressions.

I'm also glad I never sent my unit in for RMA. Now there's the Canadian option, and once the new process is sorted and the backup is cleared, I'll send mine for an upgrade.

MoltenTiger, Hogni and Hjalmark like this.
  6. DelaSheck

DelaSheck Member

I'm feeling the same way as you. I am thinking of selling mine for a small amount with full disclosure of it's performance.

7. sk8man121

sk8man121 Frozen_Vaporent

Question: Is anyone else getting a strong metallic taste upon coughing when using the hopper?

8. Justpassedu

Justpassedu Well-Known Member

Hey all , just wanna chime in as i just got my 4th hopper recently. I had pre-ordered a stainless way back when they had the kickstarter and 1st started up , used it for a bit , it worked ok. I eventually sold it , got another stainless , had my fair share of issues , got it fixed than sold it. Than had a 3rd stainless for awhile that i got towards a trade and sold that one as it just never worked great for me. Now i am on my 4th , its a titanium and seems to work the best out of any i ever had. Not sure how long i will keep it for , but its working great so i will use it. I just wish battery technology moved a bit faster and we could get some cells that last awhile as i hate having to always swap out.

MoltenTiger, Hogni, CaptVapor and 2 others like this.
  9. Sonicboom1991

Sonicboom1991 Member

I have never experienced this, but there was someone on the grasshopper sub reddit a while ago that has some machining residue on his pfe, maybe your experiencing something similar?

10. Cheesequake

Cheesequake Convection Enthusiast

I had all kinds of problems with my hoppers but I miss it so much I bought a used one from another member. Really excited to have one again, just hope it lasts a while this time. Haven't found another vape since that milks up glass nearly as much.

kbrown5523 and MoltenTiger like this.
  11. Kermitt

Kermitt Well-Known Member

I used to have a hopper too. I would also like to own one again, but I would rather wait until the devices are finally reliable. In the Vaposhop the Hopper is offered again and advertised as a kind of version 2. Since the shop has taken the hoppers out of the program due to the frequent defects, I wonder if the Hopper is really more reliable now.
    But I think I'd rather wait until there's actually a Grasshopper 2?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 9:08 AM
  12. johnnyCanuck

johnnyCanuck Well-Known Member

I haven’t read otherwise but what is the update for Canadian RMAs? I first read on here that Hopper Labs was setting up a warranty plan so that Canadians didn’t have to ship defective units back to the Colorado.

Then I read that warranties stay in Canada only if you bought through a Canadian vendor.

Does anyone know what the current plan that is written in stone?

Got a Dynavap M as a back up as my gh is flashing red/blue. Not bad, I’m really impressed by it, but I’m really missing the convience of quick discreet hits due to the hopper’s small footprint and quick heat up time.

Kermitt likes this.
  13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Really...they are aware they have reliability issues....gee, when did the light go on in their head.

Wow....sorry, but this has been an issue for the entire time that the GH has been out.....when was first shipments....what...maybe 1 1/2 - 2 years or damn close to it??

I love the device, I don't know what kinds of financial pressures or other limitations may have prevented Hopper from fully addressing this much earlier, but as a customer...I don't really care.

14. guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch Well-Known Member

What has been an issue the entire time the GH has been out? That they're fixing all issues as they arise within their means? All that remains is the heater issue and that is a new problem.
    If the issues are as simple as you make them out to be someone else would've accomplished the tasks long ago. Extra extra manufacturing ain't easy..
    And what's your point about the launch delay, it was a crowd funded project (one of the more successful ones that i know of, big ups HL!). People seem to forget that the GH was not mass produced prior to the funding campaign. Expectations of a perfect functioning product from day one are completely unrealistic, for any company(Ghost, Vivant, S&B portables are still dealing with old ongoing issues, etc). Why don't we compare Hopper Labs to Evoke in this regard.. Hopper is much further along. I'm sure some of us would have preferred waiting a few more years just to get a 100% market ready vape but I personally am much happier having used the device for the past year+. The grasshopper destroys every portable on the market IMO by a mile. Another plus for it being manufactured in North America. It's tech/design are leagues ahead of the rest of the industry. The gh is part of me meow, I am one with the Hopper :borg:

:peace:

Click to play YouTube Video

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 8:02 PM
    kbrown5523, Hjalmark and Vapetrees like this.
  15. Cheesequake

Cheesequake Convection Enthusiast

No, that their product is very unreliable and as far as anyone can tell they haven't done much if anything to improve that problem. Still people over a year after releease having multiple warranty claims within a few months is kind of insane.

16. guyonthecouch

What specific problem are you referring to?

Not sure why you don't think they're constantly trying to improve the product. I'll use vaposhop's latest updates as a reference to problems being fixed:

• Gold plating on the electrical surfaces reducing the heating in the back and housing - "hot back-end" issue fixed.
    • Grasshopper battery V2 - they addressed the need for improved QA
    • Better Backend Dial action (Smoother) - straight forward.
    • The On/Off button now will work in either position, making use more intuitive - not a problem for users but they listened to customers feedback and implemented this feature.
    • Completely redesigned temperature sensor (fully eliminates red/blue flash error) - Cop lights fixed.
    • New Heater design for 20% more power and much greater reliability - Here's where the current issue lies. In this heater revision they addressed the straight to blue no heat issue but a new problem popped up(longer heat up time to no heat). The heater is undergoing revisions and they're bringing the manufacturing process in house. The heaters were being made by a 3rd party, timely and costly to make changes. Hopefully this will speed up everything on all fronts for Hopper.
    • Decreased draw resistance - Implemented design tweaks to improve airflow.
    They also fixed the exploding back end with a laser weld. The "phantom" turning on/off problem has been fixed as well, was related to the on/off button.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 8:12 PM
  17. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

...my last 2 hoppers died the last 3 months bc they didn't stop upheating anymore regardless what dialing. New heater/temp sensor issue? ;)

Hjalmark, KidFated., Kermitt and 2 others like this.
  18. Sonicboom1991

Sonicboom1991 Member

I have yet to have a hopper last more than two weeks...

splitz and Cheesequake like this.
  19. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

I have been a Hopper lover since I purchased 2 + 2 for gifting, waited a year and received them all in Aug. '16. Lots of RMA's for me, but I've been fine with it.
    HOWEVER, reading your listing of everything they've addressed along the way only accentuates, for me, a couple of things they are still really poorly performing on. To wit, the leather sleeves. "Promise" dates have come and gone for OVER a year. What could possibly be the technical difficulty with an item man has been producing for centuries? The current availability date, after several adjustments, is Nov. 24, 2017. (?)
    This brings us to the highly anticipated new charger and the SS case, for which HL has also taken money months in advance. The expectation date for these is tomorrow, Dec. 11th. We'll see what we'll see. I don't fault anyone for taking pre-orders for items like these; it's the failure to meet projections that, for me, is inexcusable, given that it's happened time and time again.

MoltenTiger, KidFated., Hogni and 3 others like this.
  20. mmenzie

mmenzie My friends call me "Menz"

I am really sorry for your horrible luck. I have 2 hoppers and both are working fine

21. guyonthecouch

This all comes down to budgeting. The most recent heater issue needed to be addressed first and took priority sequence. What's the point of having a leather sleeve for a hopper that doesn't work? Bringing the heater manufacturing process in house was a tough but necessary decision for them. Accessories can wait in my mind. Little known fact, Hopper Labs actually took a substantial loss on the units sold through the crowd funding. They're not rolling in piles of cash laughing away, they're slugging this out on the daily grind for you and me, I for one am grateful.

22. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Well-Known Member

Unless you're close friends with one of the owners of HL, while I mostly agree, most your post is only YOUR opinion.

The GH is a beautifully engineered vaporizer.......on paper. Its design unfortunately is not beautiful for manufacturing. Its problems have been consistent from day one, none of the major ones have been corrected in my opinion.

I think most would agree that it's a special unit when working properly. However, when having a long term properly working GH is considered lucky, I can't consider it a success.

23. Hogni

No excuse for announcing something again and again what is no rocket science and can produce everywhere outhouse - sorry, that's really a no go. Nobody forced them to announce it before they have time and money to let produce it.

24. guyonthecouch

Being strategic when budgeting is not my opinion but is in the nature of budgeting itself. You don't have to be close friends with HL to email them and ask for oneself.

support@grasshoppervape.com

Which specific problems haven't been fixed that you're referring to?

@Hogni agree with you here, Hopper Labs definitely isn't perfect and has lots of room to improve all around. My posts were just an attempt to clear some of the confusion out there and bring everyone up to speed on the progress of the GH.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 11:28 AM
    MoltenTiger and Hogni like this.
  25. Hogni

I don't know whether it's really a progress when somes issues are solved but next - like my issue I had with my last 2 hoppers nobody reported about before - is popping up.
    Again, I love my (working) hopper bc of it's performance and esp. it's stealthiness no other portable can compare. But you have to be a fan of masochism or at least fatalism not to capitulate after all what happenend and is happening. And we really don't have to speak about their customer communication.

Sonicboom1991 and Kermitt like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors