• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

Shieldsab

Is it possible the technology behind the gh isn't sound enough? Are there any units that have lasted 6-12 months heavy use
There are weekss I've gone through 3 GH batteries a day, 2 or 3 bowls per battery. Usually running about 4.5 on temperature. If that isn't heavy usage, I don't know what is. I've owned my Hopper since last October, and have had no issues using it as my daily driver for months at a time. And I can leave it for a month or two, switch to my FW4 as daily, then switch back to the GH and it picks up right where it left off.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
There are weekss I've gone through 3 GH batteries a day, 2 or 3 bowls per battery. Usually running about 4.5 on temperature. If that isn't heavy usage, I don't know what is. I've owned my Hopper since last October, and have had no issues using it as my daily driver for months at a time. And I can leave it for a month or two, switch to my FW4 as daily, then switch back to the GH and it picks up right where it left off.
I'm glad to hear that. So you're about to have it for a whole year this October?

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Yep. It came at the end of September if I remember correctly. My serial number is in the higher 3000's.
Nice, mine is currently on the sidelines while I mess around with a Milaana I picked up. I love the GH though and I don't see myself not using it. It's so easy to use and super portable. I just wish everyone had the same experience, but it seems like GHLabs are getting better/less RMA's.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
My status of my GH has been "in testing" for over a week. I shipped my GH back to Hopper Labs two weeks ago. I shot them an email and told them that I need my my unit fixed in a timely manor. If they can't do that I would like them to send me out a new unit. That was Friday, I haven't had any response as of now, today yet.

I hope the stability of the company is OK with all these units that were faulty? How do they make money? Oh, I know, from a $60 charger and all the accessories they are selling.:rant:

Hopper Labs make your GH with better workmanship first, then folks might feel like spending money on a $60 charger or a $35 leather sleeve ( pen case) that you can find on Amazon for $12 or less.:bang:

Edit
I'm giving them a few more days, then I will call them. I've never called HL before I hope they answer their phones.

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
How do they make money? Oh, I know, from a $60 charger and all the accessories they are selling.:rant:

Hopper Labs make your GH with better workmanship first, then folks might feel like spending money on a $60 charger or a $35 leather sleeve ( pen case) that you can find on Amazon for $12 or less.:bang:

Edit
I'm giving them a few more days, then I will call them. I've never called HL before I hope they answer their phones.
You mean that $60 charger that you order (pay for) now and (maybe) receive in December?

Oh! they have a phone number?
Please let us know how that goes.

In fairness, I have to add that I've had only good service experiences with HL and I do hope yours is as well. It's very likely that the next thing you hear will be that your package has shipped!

Eatrocks

Mine. A year. Water. Low temps. Max temps. Back to back seshes. Multiple people. Doesn't die.
Not consistently heavy use. But it's sure been through some heavy testing on numerous occasions.

Dang....seems like Xbox 360 rrod all over again...but yea I've heard of some that are bulletproof.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I guess I didn't look that closely at the charger. I didn't realize that you have to preorder it. That's even more out of the question.

I have two nitecore chargers that work just fine and I bought them both for $14 a piece. They will charge a total of 4 batteries at the same time.

Last edited:

skyvaper

I mean, it's comparable to the Mighty in size. Barely pocketable. Compared to the GH the MV1 is massive, expensive, takes forever to charge. There's a 120 premium just to get a spare battery and a cheap fast charger.

If you've got the coin and the desire, go for gold, but I can't help but feel money would see better value being spent elsewhere.

If you want a GH/Mighty hybrid, then it's pretty cool.
How would you compare the potency between the MV1 and the GH?
That's the most interesting comparison...
Most vapes compared to the GH will seem huge. The mv1 I would say is more comparable to the crafty in size. The mv1 fits the same small camera bag I used for my crafty and the mighty stands no chance of getting in there even with the cooling unit removed
Lets agree to disagree on this one.

The mv1 has a slight edge on potency. I really feel the potency of the hopper on 4.5 and up. With the mv1 the hits feel potent even on the lower settings. The mv1 is the hopper through water as far as potency with a slight decrease in cloud production and I mean slight.

I know $295 is a pretty penny. But out of everything on the market right now for full convection portable vaping I have no regrets with my purchase. Also when it comes to any portable I use in public unless its a hopper it does not get used at all. I will say a loaded mv1 can have you where you want to be in less than 30 seconds.

Mightyish battery life 10 to 12 loads

3 clicks and 10 seconds from a cold start until you have a potent flavorfilled full convection hit.

I wont go as far as to call it a hybrid but it has qualities I absolutely love from the mighty and hopper.

Last edited:

mulciber

I guess I didn't look that closely at the charger. I didn't realize that you have to preorder it. That's even more out of the question.

I have two nitecore chargers that work just fine and I bought them both for $14 a piece. They will charge a total of 4 batteries at the same time.

If one isn't willing to shell out and wait, is there any consensus here on what charger works best for GH batteries? I looked through the forum, but couldn't quite tell whether the Nitecore unit was generally considered best, or just the most commonly used.

mulciber,

JCat

Accessory Maker
It's been a little while since I've piped up in here ... so I thought I'd detail my continuing saga ...

So got my SS hopper back from RMA about a month or so ago, right off the bat lights flashed like crazy, and performance was somewhat variable, but it worked 99% of the time well. Within the first week, the auto shut off stopped working; as well, the performance was somewhat erratic; it would get cooler and hotter at times (ie. for a week I was at 4.5, then for a week had to turn it down to 3.5, then it needed to go back up to around 4.5, time went from 4-5 seconds to 7 seconds for heat up, flickering got worse, etc. At one point it combusted on me (got hotter and I was running it at 4.5 and wasn't aware it had gotten hotter ...). Anyways ... it worked, and delivered solid hits most of the time, and was just waiting for my Ti to get back.

Got my Ti back a week ago, and the issue with the back end (nudge the switch one way or the other and it turns on) was not fixed. The body was either replaced though or buffed out and had all the internals replaced (just seems like they didn't check the random turning on/off issue as I sent it in with multiple issues). Anyways ... apart from the turning on/off accidentally issue, everything else seems fixed and my Ti hopper is working very well. I've sent my SS hopper back for service and they will send a replacement Ti back-end back with it to hopefully avoid having to RMA my Ti hopper again anytime soon.

Keeping my fingers crossed as in the last 7 months I'm out $200 in shipping for sending hoppers back to them for RMAs. (that doesn't include the fact that I bought 2 hoppers as well so that's another $500 or so ... + the hundreds of dollars in accessories)

No way whatsoever I'm buying one of those chargers until they actually have them in stock ready to ship ... and even then ... seems bloody expensive!

MoltenTiger

Most vapes compared to the GH will seem huge
True, but I was meaning that most portables compared with the Mighty seem small.
It does seem to be a little bigger than the Crafty, but it's not a big deal. It just lessens the stealth aspect. It does look ergonomic, so for it's style that is a good thing.

The mv1 has a slight edge on potency. I really feel the potency of the hopper on 4.5 and up. With the mv1 the hits feel potent even on the lower settings. The mv1 is the hopper through water as far as potency with a slight decrease in cloud production and I mean slight
That's very cool to hear.
My hopper isn't performing 10/10 but the low temp clouds can pack a punch with the right herb. I do like taking longer hits than 15s but I've read of ways to extend the cut off with the MV1.
For a direct toke device it's obviously better. But the hopper with a decent dry cooling solution hits the spot too. Lessens the stealth again, though.

I know $295 is a pretty penny. But out of everything on the market right now for full convection portable vaping I have no regrets with my purchase. Also when it comes to any portable I use in public unless its a hopper it does not get used at all. I will say a loaded mv1 can have you where you want to be in less than 30 seconds
I think it's a reasonable price. The batteries and acceptable charger cost an extra 120 and postage is expensive for international buyers.

All up it would cost me a 50% premium on my early retail hopper purchase from Vapefiend, which is honestly nuts.

That's more than a retail Sublimator, and if you're not taking stealthy portable hits. That's absolutely worth the pretty price.

Mightyish battery life 10 to 12 loads
So that's about 1-1.5g off of a device with 10x the capacity(?) As the GH, which can go through about 0.3-0.5g per battery. With the expensive plastic fast charger for the MV1 it takes 2.5 hours to charge from flat. With the GH it takes 1 hour to charge 2 batteries, or 15 mins to charge 3 with their expensive in-house charger.
So per charge it seems the GH is quite a lot more efficient.

It really sounds like a nice device, but I don't really have a vacancy for it in my line up.
If I loved the style of it, that'd be different, but I love the style of the hopper a lot more. The digital vape slide. The PFE is awesome. RIP silicone, hello direct injection of actives :)

How much does the heat sink gunk up with condensate on the Ghost?

Doktor Dub

I think it's a reasonable price. The batteries and acceptable charger cost an extra 120 and postage is expensive for international buyers.

All up it would cost me a 50% premium on my early retail hopper purchase from Vapefiend, which is honestly nuts.

That's more than a retail Sublimator, and if you're not taking stealthy portable hits. That's absolutely worth the pretty price.

So where do iget one of those affordable Sublimators? :evil: Just joking, have a nice day!

MoltenTiger

So where do iget one of those affordable Sublimators? :evil: Just joking, have a nice day!
Vapefiend are the cheapest I've found to get one in Aus. Ever since I got mine (local shop mislabeled it and I got the bargain of the century) people have been asking me where to get one, so I had a little search. But there's probably some on ent exchange on Reddit or similar, they're basically extremely durable/reliable so I'd have no qualms getting a second hand one.

But, check out the NewVape Flowerpot. That's a similar set up that should be a bit cheaper brand new. It looks really awesome too, probably the best desktop to buy right now I'd guess.

Either option would be ideal for someone who hits a GH through the bong at home a lot with vast service histories

If one isn't willing to shell out and wait, is there any consensus here on what charger works best for GH batteries? I looked through the forum, but couldn't quite tell whether the Nitecore unit was generally considered best, or just the most commonly used.
Check out the Xtar MC2. It's compact and has great specs

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
For those comparing Grasshopper to Ghost MV1, note that the Ghost is 11 oz.*, almost 3/4 of a pound. That alone would keep me from carrying it in a pocket!
There's also a 'shiny object' aspect to the Ghost that's not visually appealing to me.
I'd sure like to try hitting one though...
* correct me if I'm mistaken, I can't find that documented at the moment, I think it was in a comparison listed early in the Ghost thread.

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Spent the weekend trying out a new board game ('Ticket to ride') and the BatMan Demo on the PS4 with VR round a friends house.

Loved the board game and the VR was cool but needs more resolution, but I was BATMAN!

OK so the point of this post:

While I was there I took a whole bunch of Vapes with me for the others to try.

The Hopper was a huge hit, surprisingly the guys seemed to prefer using it natively whilst temp stepping. I think actually being able to taste the herb was a novelty experience for them. I actually had them think about what they were tasting and describe their experience (much like a wine tasting) and it helped them to appreciate the complexity they normal miss when combusting.

Next up was my my custom VapCap on MFLB with induction heater. This was used mainly with some squidgy hash and was a real favourite for the most "energy efficient" member (read: World's Most Lazy Stoner), it just kept on hitting and hitting.

Lastly the PAX 2 was passed around once or twice, the guys seemed to like its style but it was fairly quickly retired in favour of the Hopper/VapCap.

Nothing new here, we all could have predicted those results.

The hopper performed flawlessly. It's over a year old, low usage except for the odd event like last weekend. The ability to temp step was really appreciated by the group. I think had I been able to get them to use it through the MFLB it would have been even better but the "energy efficient" friend hogged that unit with the VC all night.

Regarding the new charger: A year ago I would have likely jumped at the chance but now I'm more than happy to charge using either the XTar MC1 or MC2. 15mins charge time seems impressive but really if I have a charged battery in the Hopper and another 2x batts on the MC* I'm good to go.

I want to support Hopper by buying their new gadgets but I just feel conflicted to do so when there are items I still haven't recieved from 2 years ago. All in all I will not be getting the new charger, my use case doesn't demand it and right now I'd rather spend the dosh on @NewVape710's kit.

It's fair to say that my Hopper and the ones I bought for my friends (I've bought 5 in total) have served us well over the last year or so.

Here's hoping to hop for many more years. :cheers:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
I wonder who here has their hopper the longest without having to RMA. I've had mine since January and all is going well so far. Let's not jinx it! :D
March 17 no RMA, however I did have to take out the screen in the oven and clean under it since it stopped heating up for me before. It's back to normal and it's hitting just as good as when it was new. Purple Ti.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
just ordered the hopper external charger , the wait begins ......
Let us know how it goes. If I was balling or didn't own an external charger I would've considered it. I would've like to support them to make sure my lifetime warranty will be a lifetime warranty. I hope they're able to sort out the issues and can have a healthy business. I really love the GH.

Mr Mellish

Since I've started using a bit of tubing with my SS that gets insanely hot, I have really appreciated the GH more. Need to send it in (OG from June 2016) but I'm enjoying it right now.

By insanely hot, I mean that the entire tube gets blistering hot, even the expanse where the battery sits. This is probably a 5-10 minute session, turning it off between draws but not delaying much more than 5-10 seconds between draws.

Much as I'd like to send it back, I just can't bring myself to yet. Hell, my FW4 is in the shop, how much separation can one guy take?

Top Bottom