Discontinued The Grasshopper

guyonthecouch

GHB1 n°1(very used) last a bowl and a few hits
GHB1 n°2 (very used) last a few hits
GHB2 n°1 (bought brand new 2 months ago) last a few hits
GHB2 n°2 (bought brand new less than a month ago) last for 2 bowls

I think GHL didn't choose the 18650's cause the form factor (too big for a pen style vape) and cause they will be the one to get this batteries adding to their benefits. My 2cents...
The GHB2 are the exact same as the GHB1 spec wise. They didn't make any changes other than a different tone of blue wrapping.

Are you using the stock charger or 3rd party? I've only been using the stock charger with great results(3-4 chambers). As well as implementing the recent suggestion of easing up on draw speed when encountering the flashing blue lights. Are you getting a rapid flashing blue light immediately after a fresh charge?

Try cleaning your threads and battery terminals on the unit and batts if haven't already.

Don't let your batteries fully deplete. They don't like to be fully drained and prefer to on the charger.

Clean contact points/properly charged battery/draw speed = happy batts!

Custom batteries were made due in part to size/form factor as well as heater/charging functionality. Designed to send a lot of power to the heater quickly and fast charging capabilities.. so I recall them stating.

snaffle

The GHB2 are the exact same as the GHB1 spec wise. They didn't make any changes other than a different tone of blue wrapping.

Is that true? I believe it could be, but people in the past have definitely believed GHB2s to be superior. Though the difference between a new and an old battery could be the reason for that, really.

Are you using the stock charger or 3rd party? I've only been using the stock charger with great results(3-4 chambers). As well as implementing the recent suggestion of easing up on draw speed when encountering the flashing blue lights. Are you getting a rapid flashing blue light immediately after a fresh charge?

Try cleaning your threads and battery terminals on the unit and batts if haven't already.

Don't let your batteries fully deplete. They don't like to be fully drained and prefer to on the charger.

Clean contact points/properly charged battery/draw speed = happy batts!

Cleaning contact points is an important point, and one I need to do a better job of. That said, the contact on my backend has some dark deposits that I can't seem to shift. I'll attack it with a little bit of iso alcohol soon, and see if that helps. I'm very happy with my GH, but it does flicker consistently when blue, and I suspect it's capable of even more than I'm getting from it.

Baron23

Is that true? I believe it could be, but people in the past have definitely believed GHB2s to be superior. Though the difference between a new and an old battery could be the reason for that, really.

I haven't seen any real difference in performance of my 1 vs 2 rev batteries but on the other hand I haven't tried to measure capacity in any sort of accurate way. But just from using them, I don't see a difference.

What do see a difference in is the quality of the wrapper. My GHB1's wrapper was very easily damaged putting them in and out of the Nitecore charger. I have had the GHB2s for quite a while with no wrapper damage at all.

btka

I haven't seen any real difference in performance of my 1 vs 2 rev batteries but on the other hand I haven't tried to measure capacity in any sort of accurate way. But just from using them, I don't see a difference.

What do see a difference in is the quality of the wrapper. My GHB1's wrapper was very easily damaged putting them in and out of the Nitecore charger. I have had the GHB2s for quite a while with no wrapper damage at all.

as far as I can remember gh labs told that ghe ghb2 batteries are different... thought maybe better qc... and I also had ghb2 batteriesmwith the same wraping like the ghb1... they changed the wrapping from the ghb1and ghb2 later... as stated before I have earlier ghb2 batteries with the same wrapping as the ghb1 and later ghb2 batteries with the thicker wrapping...

In my opinion the batteries are the bottleneck if you have good batteies the gh will work much better...
my last three ghb2 was not the same there was one battery (pure subjective opinion as I did not meassure it scientificly nor have the tools to do so)... also pure speculation but I think charging the batteries with the og gh charger is better for the batteries (I think it also charges the batteries slower (did not meassure again so pure subjective opinion)... would be nice if someone with the right tools and knowledge could check and enlighten us... also I have the opinion batteries also are getting worse with time (also when you do no t use them)...

also I did read gh is working or will to make the batteries better... do not know if it is possible...

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
The problem with the GHB1s was consistency:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHoppe...er_ghb1_battery_750mah_bench_test_resultsan/?

Most informative post on r/GHV. Knowledgable eCig battery whiz Mooch tests a batch of GHB1 batteries.

In the comments he queries that the hopper is the only device using these batteries, which explains the variance in performance/specs.

You won't find a similar sized battery the same as the GHB1. That is why HL went the proprietary route.

Make sure to check out that Reddit link, there's great info there. The average capacity of that sample of GHB1s was 570mAh.

Basically, with other standardized sizes such as 18650, the b-stock often gets sold to third parties and is rebranded. With the Grasshopper's battery being a custom size, there is no such market for this b-stock and so it gets sold alongside the a-stock.

It seems like the GHB2s are much more consistent but there are still bad ones being mixed in here and there. Also note that there is no warranty whatsoever on Grasshopper batteries.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Thanks for all your answers and recommandations!

Tried for the first time the proprietary charger and it doesn't seems to work... is it supposed to make the GH flashing red while charging?... mine doesn't produce any light when I plug the charger....
I think there was V1 and V2 chargers isn't it?

edit: my GHB2 n°2 is doing the same than n°1 now, after a few hits (6-7 on level 4 for most) I got a redblue light different than the solid red or the whole blue... and no more heat... I use a dual charger which came with a Haze, maybe that's the issue.

Will think about the @Joel W. mod but maybe using only one 18650 with another battery compartment to keep the portability.... it will be enough for +4 loads using a battery around 2000mah... stocked no more peoples here didn't tried this sort of mod... not sure I get enough knowledge to do it properly but I got some very good relations here if I need some help.... although the @Joel W. mod get the advantage to don't void the warranty... mine will need to cut the battery compartment....

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

I also have the OG GHB2s with the lighter blue wrap and newer GHB2s with the darker, stronger wrap.
Sometime soon I should receive newer ones still.

The only spec difference and key reason anyone expected better performance from GHB2s was the stated charge cycle increase from 100-150 with GHB1s to 150-250 with GHB2s (not sure how accurate those numbers are).

In practice they seemed very similar, and generally I have gotten 6-10 months of daily use from any particular hopper battery before degradation is obvious, some have lasted beyond 12 months, but not the majority.

@PPN try connecting the ring charger to the hopper first and then plug it into USB.
The OEM charger is not so great, I've had a few fail, it's been measured to send mad fluctuating current (not by me). It's like the GH itself, fine if it's working. But if it isn't then it'll need warranty..

It's also worth pointing out that @Joel W.'s mod caused problems with the communication of the hopper and he gave up on the project. I believe he had plans for a single cell 18650 super hopper extension, but due to the elusive way the hopper works it was too complicated to realise.

MoltenTiger

Hi @MoltenTiger , I edited my last post cause my 2nd GHB2 begins to fail in the same way... what do you think of the Haze charger I use..?
What kind of LED pattern are you getting? Red/blue flashing or red/blue at once (purple/violet light)?

I'm not sure about the Haze charger, it seems it has a custom circuitry in it. Couldn't find any details, it charges 2600mAh 18650s in 4 hours, how long does it take to do GH batteries?

It shouldn't cause any difference to the hopper, but it might not be great for its batteries

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Sorry for the late reply ... I get the red/blue at once, no flashing.

The Haze charger take around 35-45mn to charge full.

Which is the better charger you recommand?... I thought the Haze charger was pretty good...

MoltenTiger

Sorry for the late reply ... I get the red/blue at once, no flashing.

The Haze charger take around 35-45mn to charge full.

Which is the better charger you recommand?... I thought the Haze charger was pretty good...
Red and blue at once is no good. You will have to contact HL to get it fixed. It's been quite rare that error.

The Haze charger is probably very good, for the Haze 18650s it's designed for.

If you're charging GHBs in 35-45 mins then that's a high current rate that will not favour the smaller hopper cells. It shouldn't cause any problems beyond shorter battery lifetime though

Mr Mellish

My SS and Ti Hoppers have been sitting unused for 3 months or so.

The comments about the PFE being cooler astound me. I ordered one and attached it to my SS which, admittedly, gets very hot. The thing is, the PFE gets scalding hot, to the point that I cannot use it. At the same time, I started getting the cop lights on the Ti and it would do nothing. Both units went into hibernation.

Yesterday, I decided I might as well do an RMA on both. Before starting the RMA, I decided to give the Ti another try. So, I charged up a battery and put it in. Before starting it up, I also pushed down on the dial several times while twisting it back and forth. To my surprise, the Ti went to solid blue lights and worked just fine. So, I decided to see if the PFE was cool on the Ti.

Nope. It also gets scalding hot on the Ti (which hadn't struck me as terribly hot with the OG mouthpiece).

So, I guess I'll still be returning both but I found it interesting that the Ti returned to life after a bit of fiddling with the dial.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I had intermittent cop lights some months ago. Hopper would work, then cop lights. Let it sit a day or two and it (might) work again, for a short while before returning to lights.

While I really like PFE with water tool, and I its' draw even native, and PFE is much easier to keep clean, I agree it gets just as hot as standard. Might take a couple more pulls than the standard to get very hot, but once there, hot is hot.
If I want several hits in quick succession, I'd just as soon use the silicone mp, even over the PFE.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Often all I need to do to start up my GH is turn or twist the clicker either way. Sometimes it works better to turn the unit on that way verses the standard clicker method that is stated in the directions. My GH also turns on while sitting on the table without me touching the unit at all. I'm careful to take the battery out if it's in my bag.

I'm careful to let my GH cool down when it gets extremely hot.

This unit isn't a daily driver if you are a medical users or a heavy rec vaporist. You need to have another vaporizer to rely on as well, maybe a few extra. Ha ha ha:lol::2c:

It's still working so I'm still enjoying it.:leaf:

Last edited:

Baron23

Often all I need to do to start up my GH is turn or twist the clicker either way. Sometimes it works better to turn the unit on that way verses the standard clicker method that is stated in the directions. My GH also turns on while sitting on the table without me touching the unit at all. I'm careful to take the battery out if it's in my bag.

I'm careful to let my GH cool down when it gets extremely hot.

This unit isn't a daily driver if you are a medical users or a heavy rec vaporist. You need to have another vaporizer to rely on as well, maybe a few extra. Ha ha ha:lol::2c:

It's still working so I'm still enjoying it.:leaf:
You really should RMA that vape, Carol. Uncommanded turning on is potentially very dangerous

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Starting to think my hopper is the current champion off the hopper tribe.

9 months daily use? About gram or more a day?

Had some "gone to blue" or turn on and "flashing red" but cleaning has always fixed that

Oh well let's see if I just jinxed myself to hopper hell

MonkeyTime

Ok, my sale purchase showed up today, A SS GH, PFE (SS), 4 batteries and a spare charger. I can say that I already love the smoothness the SS offers in threading over the Ti, not gritty at all.

So, what happens when you put .05g of Amnesia

Into

Twice (sorry, camra phone blurry is bad)

Once this wears off and I can feel my face, I'll search for the thread describing how to post videos. It shows clearing the .1g total in one hit. There was a tiny hit left after, but not worth showing, I consider it killed.

I really like these things when they work. The fact that it took this long to find that out isn't very positive. But I liked it enough to buy another once I tasted the goods.

**Edit, Ok, I might have this. It's taken a while, while it was a nominal load at only .1g, it really had a fast acting, hard hitting affect. Like it's onrush, it disappeared just the same, but my ears are still ringing.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Starting to think my hopper is the current champion off the hopper tribe.

9 months daily use? About gram or more a day?

Had some "gone to blue" or turn on and "flashing red" but cleaning has always fixed that

Oh well let's see if I just jinxed myself to hopper hell
Want to trade? I have an SS one with 10-20% up time on average ...!

Top Bottom