Discontinued The Grasshopper

JoeMama

Howdy boys and girls...

Just want to pop in for a Hopper Labs customer service report....

I have 2 Ti Hoppers that have been recently repaired by HL.

Hopper #1 was doing a weird "second click" thing where the performance would suck unless I clicked it off and then back on again. HL fixed it within a few days. Upon receiving it back, it works great, although the blue light flicker happens almost at the very first draw on a fresh charge.... it doesn't seem to affect anything, and I was told this would be "normal" as long as it performs. I am taking this at face value, and since it works great, I'll just accept that. The only downside is, I never really know when the red flash will occur, since it's always flashing blue.
I also noticed that the inside center contact was changed, because it doesn't look "new" like mine always used to; like it's a little "worn" looking. Perhaps they use refurbished elements. I can't blame them, especially since a Lifetime Warranty is, well, lifetime.

Hopper #2 (raw Ti): I thought it was working "ok", but I'd bought a PFE that didn't match well enough, so I was able to send the hopper back with the new PFE and they said they'd make it match better. While I was at it, I asked them to give it a performance checkup. They did, and said they replaced internal components.
I should be getting it back today.

Overall, I'm happy with the customer service; messages are quickly responded to, and turn around was remarkably good.

:peace:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Wish I knew about this last week! I think I may order another Ti hopper and PFE plus like 10 batteries.
I had five that still work and lasted me over a year. Do you use it that much to need 10 batteries? I got 3 but my usage isn't that great.
@JoeMama Good news! Hope your Ti comes back working great too. I hate to see people that keep having issues with theirs. :peace:

MoltenTiger

Howdy boys and girls...

Just want to pop in for a Hopper Labs customer service report....

I have 2 Ti Hoppers that have been recently repaired by HL.

Hopper #1 was doing a weird "second click" thing where the performance would suck unless I clicked it off and then back on again. HL fixed it within a few days. Upon receiving it back, it works great, although the blue light flicker happens almost at the very first draw on a fresh charge.... it doesn't seem to affect anything, and I was told this would be "normal" as long as it performs. I am taking this at face value, and since it works great, I'll just accept that. The only downside is, I never really know when the red flash will occur, since it's always flashing blue.
I also noticed that the inside center contact was changed, because it doesn't look "new" like mine always used to; like it's a little "worn" looking. Perhaps they use refurbished elements. I can't blame them, especially since a Lifetime Warranty is, well, lifetime.

Hopper #2 (raw Ti): I thought it was working "ok", but I'd bought a PFE that didn't match well enough, so I was able to send the hopper back with the new PFE and they said they'd make it match better. While I was at it, I asked them to give it a performance checkup. They did, and said they replaced internal components.
I should be getting it back today.

Overall, I'm happy with the customer service; messages are quickly responded to, and turn around was remarkably good.

:peace:
Glad to hear you're back on top of the hopper game Joe!

My repaired unit has also been doing the blue stutter from the start with a fresh battery.
Last night I accidently left it on blue for its 15second timeout to cut in. After that, it seemed the stutter became significantly less. I'll give it a try now and see if it still acts better

SS 11.3g vs. Ti 6.6g
Nice work hunting that down.
The Ti is a lot lighter and does take less time to cool down.
For general use I don't think there's much difference between the materials though

JoeMama

I had five that still work and lasted me over a year. Do you use it that much to need 10 batteries? I got 3 but my usage isn't that great.
@JoeMama Good news! Hope your Ti comes back working great too. I hate to see people that keep having issues with theirs. :peace:

Glad to hear you're back on top of the hopper game Joe!

My repaired unit has also been doing the blue stutter from the start with a fresh battery.
Last night I accidently left it on blue for its 15second timeout to cut in. After that, it seemed the stutter became significantly less. I'll give it a try now and see if it still acts better

Nice work hunting that down.
The Ti is a lot lighter and does take less time to cool down.
For general use I don't think there's much difference between the materials though

Thanks, @Vapetrees ... I got the Ti back this afternoon and I've been using it... It works fabulously.

@MoltenTiger , hey there, hope you're well! I've been on the hopper but just barely on FC. Sometimes I want to just relax and catch up here but I just don't have the time lately.

Funny you mention the timeout experiment, @MoltenTiger:
It's been about 3 weeks that I've had the first Ti back (the one that flickers) - and by the way, the Raw Ti I just got back today does NOT flicker.
Anyway, about a day or two ago, I've noticed that the flicker has abated a little, or at the very least, what I'm noticing is that the flicker is becoming significantly less like yours.

They both perform similarly. I NEVER used to be able to boast about T2.5, but now I can get 75% of the chamber vaped without going past T3.5. It used to be quite opposite, where I'd start at T3 or T3.5 and wind up at T4.

So it's all good!
:tup:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Thanks, @Vapetrees ... I got the Ti back this afternoon and I've been using it... It works fabulously.

@MoltenTiger , hey there, hope you're well! I've been on the hopper but just barely on FC. Sometimes I want to just relax and catch up here but I just don't have the time lately.

It's been about 3 weeks that I've had the first Ti back (the one that flickers) - and by the way, the Raw Ti I just got back today does NOT flicker.
Anyway, about a day or two ago, I've noticed that the flicker has abated a little, or at the very least, what I'm noticing is that the flicker is becoming significantly less like yours.

They both perform similarly. I NEVER used to be able to boast about T2.5, but now I can get 75% of the chamber vaped without going past T3.5. It used to be quite opposite, where I'd start at T3 or T3.5 and wind up at T4.

So it's all good!
That's great news. I can't wait to get my PFE to see what difference it makes. I don't have any complaints with the stock mouthpiece. I've always used it natively since I got it.

MoltenTiger

So it's all good!
Good to hear :)
This place can easily sap some time, so that's understandable. Hope you're relaxing in many other ways!

I'm also noticing a slightly different signature to what I've had before with the latest iteration. I don't seem to be able to do a single hit extraction, but I still get great clouds that seem to start at lower temps. I am very satisfied with the effect it gives, but it's definitely been replaced at home by the Sublimator.

A device like the Sub is better suited to the intense usage I seem to opt for, where as the hoppers only last so long under such conditions. The GH is the best portable for me by far though. I'm liking the Dynavap M but it's overly restrictive airflow is really not nice when compared to open airflow with much bigger clouds.

virtualpurple

Damnit, I fucked up and thought I could putvoff on ordering till last night. The hospital I work at had other plans, we were hopping a little too much and I missed the savings! I have to send my hopper in but was figuring on picking up the PFE and a good 4-5 batteries.

Let this be a lesson kids; Procrastination is a lot like masturbation. It may feel good in the moment but at the end of the day you've only fucked yourself.

snaffle

I tried watching the rate of flickering while drawing to ensure my draw wasn't too strong for the Grasshopper, as others have mentioned, and I couldn't see any change in the flicker rate with any draw, either hard or gentle.

It was the first time I've used the GH in a little while, as I've been learning my way around the vapcaps, but it's really nice to come back to, it is a great vaporiser, I do really like it. It's nice to not have to think about it, unlike the vapcap, just click, wait for the blue lights, and inhale, and big high-quality clouds follow.

JoeMama

Me again... I have no idea why I thought "T4" was the highest setting on the Hopper...
My last post had errors: ( http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-grasshopper.18482/page-728#post-1153735 )

Increment all the times I mentioned T4 up by 1.

But even at that, T2.5 was hardly effective before this latest revision I now have.

That is all... carry on :)

Good to hear :)
This place can easily sap some time, so that's understandable. Hope you're relaxing in many other ways!

I'm also noticing a slightly different signature to what I've had before with the latest iteration. I don't seem to be able to do a single hit extraction, but I still get great clouds that seem to start at lower temps. I am very satisfied with the effect it gives, but it's definitely been replaced at home by the Sublimator.

A device like the Sub is better suited to the intense usage I seem to opt for, where as the hoppers only last so long under such conditions. The GH is the best portable for me by far though. I'm liking the Dynavap M but it's overly restrictive airflow is really not nice when compared to open airflow with much bigger clouds.

Jaysus!! The Sublimator is quite expensive! It looks like something that would put me in a coma after one session. @MoltenTiger you must have quite a tolerance level LOL.

The hoppers and my FW4 do me just fine, though I would love to try the Sublimator. My only other experience with convection is a one-time use of the Volcano (and holy shit that was awesome!).

snaffle

Jaysus!! The Sublimator is quite expensive! It looks like something that would put me in a coma after one session. @MoltenTiger you must have quite a tolerance level LOL.

Haha that was just what I thought after watching a review of it today. A 15 minute heat-up time, which hits that hard? I definitely would be wiped out by one hit of that, and it looks like a lot of work to get the one hit. I'd love to try one - really I'd love my friend to have one, that I could hit occasionally. But I don't have nearly the tolerance to use it as a daily driver. At least not without completely being unable to do anything else in my life ;)

MoltenTiger

The hoppers and my FW4 do me just fine, though I would love to try the Sublimator. My only other experience with convection is a one-time use of the Volcano (and holy shit that was awesome!).

Hehe. I was very lucky to find one for a steal, I've built up some amount of tolerance to it, but I'm not using more material, maybe less, and it still solidly gets me with the first one of an evening.

Wake and baking with it truly writes the day off, in the best of ways haha. But I have to be careful lol!

Haha that was just what I thought after watching a review of it today. A 15 minute heat-up time, which hits that hard? I definitely would be wiped out by one hit of that, and it looks like a lot of work to get the one hit. I'd love to try one - really I'd love my friend to have one, that I could hit occasionally. But I don't have nearly the tolerance to use it as a daily driver. At least not without completely being unable to do anything else in my life ;)
It's the most ridiculous thing. Having a friend that owns one is the go, a lot of my friends are happy like that for sure haha
It's a dangerous device, but after using it once or twice it's very straight forward.
It's worst factor is it's 1-hour time-out, it always turns itself off, and with its heat up time... it's handy having the hopper next to it.

One hit even from a tiny amount of material makes a huge cloud and a strong effect.

I used to smoke bongs, the EQ I used to switch to vapor bongs, which was an effort in a way (nicotine addiction is awful). After a year and a half I got a hopper, which is better than the EQ for me.
The Sub is more similar to combustion than even a huge hopper hit, but they're not really massively different.
The main difference is the Sub, as long as it's heated up, will always work as expected. It's easier to fill and empty, is more efficient, completely depletes herb of oils (even whole buds, just insinerates them) and it makes quality oil residue (and quite a bit of it, that's easily accessible).
It gets slightly higher temps, more thoroughly through the herb. I find it helps me sleep where as the hopper keeps me awake. More terpenes get released with the GH, it's tastier and has a slightly different signature/effect. The Sub is a powerful way to relax, but it does hinder what you can do after it.

At least with the hopper, it's a bit more versatile. You can turn the temps down and have a lesser effect. Because of my tolerance, it's even lesser.
I'll take it out to Blue Derby today for some MTB adventures, should be amazing!

But I look forward to returning home to the Sub where I can blast off to Mars and relax after shredding berms :)

JoeMama

@MoltenTiger - Haha, you're Batman! . You in da big league with that thing. So I can totally see that thing playing a part in a Summer vacation house party - you know, those weekend or week-long kind where sleep only happens when you pass out. :haw:

Haha that was just what I thought after watching a review of it today. .........
....... I'd love to try one - really I'd love my friend to have one, that I could hit occasionally.

Just like, the best kind of boat is a friend's boat.
:lol:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Is the GHB2's reliables? I bought 2 from Verdampnotchmal and one die after 3 hits and comes out very, very hot... it was fine on the beginning but after a few charges it's not fine anymore.... The other GHB2 works better but I'm afraid it will not last very long....

Is somebody tried to mod his GH to accept 18650's...? I ask cause since 2/4 batteries I get are not enough for even a single load, I'm bored to have to swap batteries!

Or is it possible to mod the heater with a 510 threading?

I know it will void warranty... but that's in the name of vaporistic researches!

snaffle

Is the GHB2's reliables? I bought 2 from Verdampnotchmal and one die after 3 hits and comes out very, very hot... it was fine on the beginning but after a few charges it's not fine anymore.... The other GHB2 works better but I'm afraid it will not last very long....

The GHB2 batteries generally are reliable, yes. You don't here many complaints about them failing early. I mean, they will want replacing after some time, and they don't have a long life in the Grasshopper, but the kind of failure you're describing is unusual.

Is somebody tried to mod his GH to accept 18650's...? I ask cause since 2/4 batteries I get are not enough for even a single load, I'm bored to have to swap batteries!

Nobody has done this, no. If the 18650s could work just as well I expect HL would have just used them. I imagine such a mod would be very difficult, and playing with batteries has never struck me as a wise thing to do.

Each GHB2 battery should last several loads. You should report the faulty ones to Verdampnotchmal and get replacements, it sounds like you were just unlucky.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
GHB1 n°1(very used) last a bowl and a few hits
GHB1 n°2 (very used) last a few hits
GHB2 n°1 (bought brand new 2 months ago) last a few hits
GHB2 n°2 (bought brand new less than a month ago) last for 2 bowls

I think GHL didn't choose the 18650's cause the form factor (too big for a pen style vape) and cause they will be the one to get this batteries adding to their benefits. My 2cents...

Razshiro

I have the same feeling about those batteries, one of the weakening part of the GH, Not really reliable (i have only 2 GHB2's and 3 GHB1's), but my best battery is still a GHB1 (last 1 bowl and half) :| . I've just ordered 2 new GHB2's directly from HopperLabs, we will see the performance ...

I think GHL didn't choose the 18650's cause the form factor (too big for a pen style vape) and cause they will be the one to get this batteries adding to their benefits. My 2cents...

Totally right :nod:, they said they choose this kind of battery because : "...when designing the Grasshopper, we knew to make it the world's smallest convection vaporizer we would have to make a few trade-offs. The Grasshopper contains a custom designed battery, with a very high discharge rate. The Grasshopper has the power and size necessary to make the device possible but also battery life that is shorter than with other devices..."

vapviking

Old & In the Way

Or is it possible to mod the heater with a 510 threading?

I know it will void warranty... but that's in the name of vaporistic researches!
Way, way back in this thread there was one guy who bought a lathe, taught himself how to use it, learned to cut threads and from, I believe, a chunk of aluminum, made an insert that replaced standard batteries and a wire leading to an outboard box of 18650's.
I'll try a quick search...
Look for this post number;

Top Bottom