Discontinued The Grasshopper

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thanks for this link! Good to know about this adapter, though it might require some extra rigging to get the FF to work. (Maybe some tubing or something).

I've liked the Hopper accessories I purchased from Delta 3D Studios... the spiral stand and funnels are must-haves.

Never used one myself, but it says it works with the FF2!

invertedisdead,
Reactions: TheBandit

snaffle

I've only ever used an external charger with my GH, but I'm planning to switch to the USB one, because I need to slim down my vape stuff, and a usb cable takes up less room than a charger (and my usage is never heavy enough to need to charge other batteries while the device is in use - I have 4 batteries, and if I went through that many, even with friends, I would be no longer able to hold the GH). Plus I've seen some reports here that the USB charger will charge a little higher than an external charger, potentially leading to improved performance. I was using the external because back when I got the GH there were theories that doing so would help the device last longer, but that doesn't seem to have been borne out by experience, as far as I can tell.

I searched this forum to see if I could find evidence that my older (v1) charger would be worth replacing with the v2, maybe it's better in some way, or more reliable, but apart from a few vague implications I can't find any solid info. Do you think they just changed the design of the cable, or does anyone know if there are more fundamental changes? I'll probably email them to find out, but if someone here has thoughts they'd be much appreciated.

Also, given that we know small particles of herb getting into the heater or sensor are known failure points, I thought making a degummed hemp fiber filter might be a good idea. A friend of mine disagreed and thought it might risk the unit more, I guess from small particles of hemp fiber breaking off and falling into the heater instead. Has anyone tried it, or come up with an alternative bonus screen idea to help keep the heater clean?

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
1) No, USB charger doesn't charge higher than an external charger.

2) You should try to avoid using the hopper upside down to prevent the heater chamber getting contaminated by "herb dust". I believe reclaim in the heater area is much worse for the performance of the gh. And you don't know the risks of using a hemp filter regarding temp control and developement and air flow.

Last edited:

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Do you have a picture of how you use it? Sounds like something I'm willing to try out lol
You can just take a pen and make two holes on each side
IMG_20170815_143951.jpg

I got an 14mm straight stem from an Davinci ascent bubbler kit for the nice pipe feeling

Don't need that but I think I am going to find a little metal stem to keep in my travel vape kit so I can easily hollow out any fruit or vegetable

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Finally got my GH back. Works like a dream. I see they've added a better connector at the bottom of the battery compartment (mine was gold before and seemed to wear over time, now its silver, like theyve dropped a blob of metal on the old gold connector. Im sure this is old news to this thread). Whoever it was that said I was gonna wanna keep it was right! But of course, it might just die again in a week :) So I'm gonna use it for today, try and remember what I dont like about it and then pass it on to a friend :D

Massive tasty clouds through the D020. Set on high temp. High temp flavour seems better, almost as if the highest setting is just a little less hot. Exceedingly smooth hits, even with no water in the bong.

Interesting reading about the flashing lights and draw strength. Im seeing the same here. If I slow my draw down at high temp, the flickering goes away. If this truly is a handy indicator of overpowering the battery, thats a really useful bit of information. Is this a confirmed hopper labs bit of info?

Baron23

You can just take a pen and make two holes on each side
IMG_20170815_143951.jpg

I got an 14mm straight stem from an Davinci ascent bubbler kit for the nice pipe feeling

Don't need that but I think I am going to find a little metal stem to keep in my travel vape kit so I can easily hollow out any fruit or vegetable
Yep, a lot like the old apple pipes we made in the day. Vape then snack. Perfect :-)

JCat

Accessory Maker
About the flashing lights ... mine got a little worse, and I ended up rotating the dial 1/2 dozen times (since it started going to flashing red) and they went away (mostly solid for a half day before they came back). It seems to me like the flashing blue lights were always an indicator of insufficient power ... but on my previous times experiencing it before this RMA, it was like as soon as there was flickering the hopper gave up completely, whereas now it just keeps trying despite the flashing blue lights (until it gets bad enough to go to flashing red).

So ... based on the above ... I would guess they've improved something in the software in regards to when the heater can't get enough power? But getting a better connection still makes it go solid (and primary location for issues with conductivity is in the back-end dial I believe) ... anyways ... just my hypothesis based on observation ...

I did also ask HL about this behavior and am waiting to hear back.

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
This is great!

Beforehand I thought the rapidly flashing blue light was just 'a thing' or that the battery was low in charge, not that it was being over powered. I can get the same lung busting massive hits with a short, really fast draw, as I can a long slow one so this is really hand info. Just match my draw strength to just below where the lights start telling me to slow down :D

EDIT: I dont think the top temp is reduced, that last load came out crazy dark. I think I could combust with this if I really tried :)

EDIT 2: HOLY CRAP THESE HITS ARE ENORMOUS!

EDIT 3: Four full bowls I think that was, on the highest heat setting, before the battery gave out. Taste is great. I'm happy passing that efficiency on to a friend.

Last edited:

snaffle

This watching the flickering blue and using it to moderate draw intensity idea is really interesting, particularly as it seems to be working very well for several people. I won't be able to use my GH for a little while, but I look forward to trying this out when I can, and I'll report back. Mine is certainly one that has flickered plenty. I remember @biohacker always insisted that flickering was a sign of a failing GH, and his best working one(s) never flickered - maybe it's that those ones could keep up with anything, but even slightly less perfect GHs can still work well so long as one listens to music of the flickers ;)

It's particularly interesting, if true, as several places HL have insisted that you can draw hard, as the GH "can keep up with you". I mean, obviously it's better than something designed more for session style vaping, but perhaps saying that it can keep up with anything is not realistic for most GHs in the wild.

Thanks @Hogni for the advice about charging :)

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Solar Eclipse - Save on Grasshoppers

A solar eclipse is happening across the United States on Monday, August 21st. Hopper Labs will be making a 4 hour trip to Wyoming to view it. If you've been thinking about a Grasshopper, now might be the time to pick one up. Solar eclipses are most enjoyable with a Grasshopper and protective eyewear!

Find more information about the eclipse here.

solareclipse.0f99f119156c.jpg

MoltenTiger

One question. Blue-red lights means the body needs to be replaced, or the backend?
Generally cop-lights lead to a replaced body as it's indicating sensor issues.

---

So my plain Ti GH arrived today, finally. I sent it away just shy of a month ago, but haven't had a working unit for a little longer than that. UPS Innovations is snail mail for sure, but it arrived. Unfortunately I didn't get any accessories with it. I had a personal order of 4 batts and I also added another separate order for my friend of 4 batts and a PFE. I assume the PFE not being available is the cause of delayed shipment, but they said they'd shipped my batteries.
It's a bit lame having to wait longer for my purchases. If they were shipping separately, they could have done so a month ago...
I've had numerous shipping issues with these guys now, so... as long as it's not me footing the bill..

The device itself is working. The ticking is quite pronounced, the heater section is fresh and clean.
There's some burn marks on the external chamber-section walls. Maybe a soldering iron was rested against it, a number of times. I don't really know, it's almost like spot welder marks. On the threads too, not too bad but pretty average, whatever it is, there doesn't seem to be any reasonable or necessary cause for it, so that's trash.
The back-end battery contact has been sanded/scratched/cross-hashed, I guess like they recommended as an option in a recent blog post.
The dial is buttery smooth, it was decent before but it glides now.

Cloud machine! It's definitely nicer through glass than the M so it'll probably be my go to, but the Sublimator really is going to be hard to dethrone.

EDIT: should add, I seem to be getting a decent bit of blue LED stuttering, will see how it goes. New batteries might help, the ones I have are decent though.. at least they should be. Still getting the clouds, roasted ABV and a hot unit, but I do find the stuttering suspicious and it does settle down with a slow drag, a very very slow drag mind you. Not a fan, but what can you do. For a portable it still hits pretty huge, and that's all that matters.

Not really sure what to do with my other slow to heat up blue Ti at this point...

Last edited:

vapeverythingnyc

First time posing to FC ever here!

Thought I’d introduce myself!

Hi!

I’ve had a purple Ti with PFE for a exactly one month. Just got two GHB2s last week and noticed the updated wrap. No performance difference between them and my lighter blue GHB2. Yet. I only charge with the included cable. I get 25+ hits per battery. Fingers crossed my unit has performed amazingly thus far. I’ve run well over an oz through it with pleasure. I use it native and through water. It’s a joy. My gf hates it which makes it even better!

My grasshopper clicks loud enough to hear in a running car with the radio off. I guess that means it’s working!

One tip I read a while back that I’ve incorporated is to blow into the intake holes with the mouthpiece off after clearing a bowl. Hopefully this helps me keep the crud level down below the lower screen.

I’ve noticed the same as the most recent posters in regard to the flickering blue. On a fresh battery or a retightening of the backend I’ll get solid blue for maybe 2 seconds then very fast flickering which then correlates to the speed at which I draw. I find my hopper to perform best with a pretty slow, gently draw, attempting to keep the flicker steady. I have had great results so far.

Question: can I cut down one of the crafty liquid pads to create a concentrate sandwich inside the hopper? I’m afraid it will mess with the TC as it seems to retain a lot of heat. I’ve tried cotton/hemp but was left unsatisfied.

Lastly, I’ve noticed my charger to be kind of inconsistent. I have to retighten the backend to get it to charge one out 5 Times.

Anyway, excited to welcome myself to the fam. Believe it or not I heard about the GH and this forum on reddit. I immediately wanted impulse purchase a GH based on its tech. Instead I read all 719 pages (at the time) of this thread before pulling the trigger. Going into this purchase as educated as humanly possible was important based on the failure rate but after reading all the info here I bit the bullet and took the risk. I couldn’t be happier. The GH is a stellar addition to my quickly growing vape fam. The VAS is strong.

vapeverythingnyc

Wecome to FC! I just joined about a month ago and I love it. Yes VAS is strong among us FC members. Not before long you will have a quiver of vapes like the rest of us. Haha.

Cheers,

Tiny88

I have a quiver already! This is going to be a problem. All the new and upcoming stuff not to mention things I’ve never heard of. I already ordered an herborirzer today! Not good!!

snaffle

Hi @vapeverythingnyc, nice to have you here!

Question: can I cut down one of the crafty liquid pads to create a concentrate sandwich inside the hopper? I’m afraid it will mess with the TC as it seems to retain a lot of heat. I’ve tried cotton/hemp but was left unsatisfied.

I haven't used concentrates with the grasshopper, and yes, I think you're right to be conservative about it, given what we know about the sensitivity of the sensor / heater to things dripping through. That said, I'd have thought it would work. You could email HL and ask them, they'd probably give you a straight answer. You could create a sandwich with herb either side, that would probably work well too, and I think I remember reading people have done that successfully before. Out of curiousity, why did cotton and hemp both leave you unsatisfied?

Lastly, I’ve noticed my charger to be kind of inconsistent. I have to retighten the backend to get it to charge one out 5 Times.

I've only just started using my charger with the GH, I was using an external battery charger previously, based on the old advice that it would help with reliability (no longer current belief). But mine has always been reliable so far, and I haven't heard of them not being in general.

Anyway, excited to welcome myself to the fam. Believe it or not I heard about the GH and this forum on reddit. I immediately wanted impulse purchase a GH based on its tech. Instead I read all 719 pages (at the time) of this thread before pulling the trigger. Going into this purchase as educated as humanly possible was important based on the failure rate but after reading all the info here I bit the bullet and took the risk. I couldn’t be happier. The GH is a stellar addition to my quickly growing vape fam. The VAS is strong.

You read all 719 pages of this thread, that is very impressive indeed! I read a lot of it before getting my GH, but I couldn't make it through all that many. Good work, @vapeverythingnyc, good work :)

snaffle said:
I searched this forum to see if I could find evidence that my older (v1) charger would be worth replacing with the v2, maybe it's better in some way, or more reliable, but apart from a few vague implications I can't find any solid info. Do you think they just changed the design of the cable, or does anyone know if there are more fundamental changes? I'll probably email them to find out, but if someone here has thoughts they'd be much appreciated.

To answer my own question, I emailed HL and got a reply saying that there was no reason to replace a working charging cable beyond prefering the design of the newer one (which I do, but not enough to pay that much for a new one). So I'll happily go on using my original charging cable.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Possibly using the GH with a bubbler so it's up side down while using a bubbler style water tool if using wax or shatter? I would definitely sandwich it with cannabis. It will help absorb the oil, you will still get a residue though I would assume. Asking Hopper Labs is good advice. Then you can share it here.

We are already having problems with the battery area needing to keep the the residue off the condenser where the battery sits. I clean it off every other battery change.

armani

Professional Stoner
My friend i sold my hopper to just received an PFE Ti mouthpiece, and wow do i regret selling it.

The PFE is magical its better for bongs but also it does not get hot as the normal one so you can actually smoke without the freaking condom :love:

MonkeyTime

Could we make it an inch or two long? That way if we're in a pinch and need to use a computer or the likes to charge, there's a bit of room to turn or twist..... But I'd buy one this short too! I just wish they weren't $35, it seems just a little steep for what it is. Proprietary :rant:

I've decided the standard USB cable charger is too big/long for my travelling needs.

I'd love to see HL's come out with a compact travel charger.

Something like the below would be awesome:

STwcIVo.jpg

vapeverythingnyc

To those curious, I will email HL today with my concentrate questions. For whatever reason concentrates wouldn’t melt full at 5 with either medium. Right side up through water or native same issue. Not worth risking it without asking first. In the meanwhile I rigged this up: https://imgur.com/gallery/JAjy9 works incredibly well. DTv3 w the crafty LP cut down to fit.

In regards to the included charger, sometimes I have to retread the backend to get the charger to connect and charge. I’ll clean the threads today and see if it helps. It’s not a huge deal for now.

Thanks for the kind welcome everyone. I do appreciate it and feel very welcomed to the community.

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Solar Eclipse - Save on Grasshoppers

A solar eclipse is happening across the United States on Monday, August 21st. Hopper Labs will be making a 4 hour trip to Wyoming to view it. If you've been thinking about a Grasshopper, now might be the time to pick one up. Solar eclipses are most enjoyable with a Grasshopper and protective eyewear!

Find more information about the eclipse here.

solareclipse.0f99f119156c.jpg
Just took advantage of this deal and got a PFE and some new batteries as mine are all over a year old. :tup:

panaggia

So i've got my HT TI Hopper for about one month and i've noticed some bizarre functioning things about the on/off button and how that effects my Hopper's performance. It seems that the on/off button have 2 ways of functioning to set my Hopper on and off.

a)The first way(which i thought was the normal way cause thats how it worked the first time) is when i press the on/off button half way, the red lights coming on, before the click, and then i click all the way down and my hopper is on

b)The second way(which i noticed it when accidentally my Hopper opened in my pocket twice and then i had to turn it off) is when i press the on/off button half way before the click (no red lights coming on in this way) after i click all the way down and then in the releasing stage the red lights coming on and also the Hopper is coming on

Also i can "reset the device" to the first way of functioning by simply letting it to shut off after 15 secs(another bizarre thing is that my Hopper is shuting of and not going to stand by mode as i read in the manual), then its getting on and off with the first way of functioning. But i can't define and set the second way of functioning cause 2 times happened accidentally.

In both ways the blue lights coming on and work properly after 3-4-5 seconds it depends on the temp, and here we come to the performance differences, in the first way i can say for sure now that the heater is having lower performance and in the second way the heater works way better and im getting big clouds in temp 3 and higher.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Top Bottom